Dell Venue Pro on AT&T?

Search This thread

kimck99

Oct 30, 2007
I was at the AT&T store today and was talking to a sales rep. I am currently with AT&T on family plan and I told him that I was going to cancel my phone (the primary line) to T-Mobile to pick up the DVP.

Well, he told me that a Microsoft rep told him that T-Mobile had a 45 day exclusivity on the DVP starting from the launch date (11/8). Further, the DVP will be on 3 carriers once the exclusivity runs out. Now the speculation on the other two was Verizon and possibly AT&T.

He also said that the 3 WP7 phones at AT&T were under the 45 day exclusivity as well and that other carriers would be carrying the three devices currently at AT&T.

He wasn't sure if and when all this would happen but if in fact AT&T will be getting the DVP soon, I can hold out a bit longer as the only reason I was planning on switching to Tmo was for the DVP.

Don't mean to start a wild rumor thread but thought I share what I heard and would like to know if others have heard something similar.

Happy Holidays...

Last edited:

Tempest790

Jun 30, 2007
New Orleans
That's good news. I currently have a Focus but still miss a hardware keyboard. 45 Days would put it right after the holiday season which would allow carriers to make their money before the agreement ends. Let's hope this is true.

I hope someone will be able to enable tethering on the DVP and that will be perfect.

c_legaspi

Nov 25, 2008
lies that carriers tell you to keep you. dont know for sure tho

i rather have dvp with webos or android. wp7, ill wait till 2nd or 3rd gen

Last edited:

kimck99

Oct 30, 2007
lies that carriers tell you to keep you. dont know for sure tho

i rather have dvp with webos or android. wp7, ill wait till 2nd or 3rd gen

Agreed. I have some doubts that something like this will actuall happen. Nevertheless, I'll give it some time - until the reviews of the new and improved launched (part deux) DVPs.

I'm hoping to hear some more from folks who may knowledge or have heard something similar in the meanwhile.

patrickk

Oct 10, 2007
Would be nice, but I wouldn't hold my breath on this one. If it were true, that would put us 2 weeks out and this would be the first real rumor I've heard. Things like this tend to get leaked in advance. Kind of telling that there hasn't been any FCC filings for the additional radio flavors either. We can still cross our fingers though.

fsrkewd

Jun 25, 2008
Would be nice, but I wouldn't hold my breath on this one. If it were true, that would put us 2 weeks out and this would be the first real rumor I've heard. Things like this tend to get leaked in advance. Kind of telling that there hasn't been any FCC filings for the additional radio flavors either. We can still cross our fingers though.

maybe thats the Dell Venue?
the one with android and without the keyboard?

benjaminries

Aug 14, 2007
Toronto
OnePlus 7 Pro
Another clue might be a statement from Greg Milligan of Microsoft Canada: “the first manufacturers are LG, Samsung, HTC, we’ll have those available here in Canada. We also see Dell coming into the market as well and some other manufacturers in 2011”. (http://mobilesyrup.com/2010/11/29/m...ices-with-hardware-keyboard-coming-to-canada/)

In Canada, AT&T frequencies are dominant right now: ever since Bell and Telus stopped expanding their CDMA network and built an all-3G UMTS/HSPA+ national network on 850/1900, pretty much all their new 3G devices are GSM. Add that to Rogers' existing 850/1900 GSM/EDGE/UMTS/HSPA+ network, and you're looking at AT&T frequency compatibility from our three biggest national carriers. They all launched AT&T-compatible Windows Phone 7 devices last month.

The new "urban" carriers - Wind, Mobilicity, Videotron - are running AWS in major cities. But none of these carriers have launched any WP7 devices.

Dell could just launch the DVP in its current configuration on Wind or Mobilicity (or both). It could also launch the DVP as an EDGE-only device on Rogers (very unlikely). Or, it could build a new DVP with 850/1900 3G support and release it on any combination of Rogers, Bell and Telus for a much larger customer base.

fsrkewd

Jun 25, 2008
was planning to get the t-mobile version, but i am not sure if i should right now
i am on at&t and i dropped my phone in water last week, want a smartphone so bad right now...

kimck99

Oct 30, 2007
Well, it would appear that HTC HD7 may be headed to AT&T. If so, perhaps this will mean that other "exclusive" phones will find it's way to other carriers. One can only hope...

Tempest790

Jun 30, 2007
New Orleans
If Canada gets them, I think we'd be in good shape either way. Their bands are fully compatible, so I wouldn't mind plunking down a few dollars more to get it. However, it would have to be unlocked so that might be an issue (hopefully a short one).

Can't wait!

benjaminries

Aug 14, 2007
Toronto
OnePlus 7 Pro
I had my doubts about this, but it seems quite possible. The FCC has approved two models of the Dell Venue Pro:

FCC ID: E2KV03B002
(https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas...me=N&application_id=218753&fcc_id='E2KV03B002')
3G band tested: AWS

FCC ID: E2KV03B001
(https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas...me=N&application_id=425269&fcc_id='E2KV03B001')
3G bands tested: 850/1900

Note: as far as I can tell, these documents don't preclude the "B001" version from also supporting European 3G on 2100 MHz, since the FCC didn't test the 900/2100 euro bands on the "B002" but we know it has them anyway.

mrmomoman

Feb 19, 2009
It would only make sense that this would happen.

Dell would be crazy to limit their handsets to the smallest Mobile Carrier in terms of subscribers. Giving Tmobile a leg up is okay but to give it the whole leg would be silly.

I would take the HD7 on the AT&T network as I returned by HD7 on the T-MOBILE network due to signal issues.

I would like to have it on the Sprint Network but that isn't happening anytime soon. I do not like the HD PRO they have rumored to get WP7.

The DVP or the HD7 will be my choices for now. a 4.3" S_LCD on the HD7 would be great/

kimck99

Oct 30, 2007
Just for the record, 45 days after the 8th of November would be December 23, 2010.
I'll be checking back on that day (and probably sooner, anyway).

I am also anticipating the DVP. :] I'll be waiting for AT&T.

Well, given recent news of the delay yet again, I wonder if:
1) At this rate, the DVP will be available on AT&T at the same time as T-Mobile :eek:
or
2) This is vaporware and never make it to AT&T :(

Utterly disappointed with Dell....

fsrkewd

Jun 25, 2008
hmm.....
it only state UMTS 900 and 2100, which are the frequency the rest of the world use
it didn't even state AWS or 1700
interesting

kimck99

Oct 30, 2007
Well, three days left (actually, it may be four days, since the 23rd may be the 45th day).

Just for the record, I did a Google search to check for any updates and found this:
http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-Wireless/Windows-Phone-7-Dell-Venue-Pro-Headed-to-ATandT-895659/

It appears that the eweek article is a collection of blog posts on this topic.

With regards to the 45-day, I'm guessing that we won't hear anything until the new year until the holiday shopping period is over.