Tmobile newbie

Search This thread

orateam

Jun 20, 2005
Orlando
Just purchased this phone off craigslist. Currently have another S4 (verizon) which i was lucky enough to not have upgraded since a push by verizon locked out the ability to put a custom recovery. I'm just wondering if Tmobile has such an issue. Can i install a recovery regardless of my current version? Any limitiations to allowing OTA?

Skipjacks

Nov 1, 2011
Baltimore
Just purchased this phone off craigslist. Currently have another S4 (verizon) which i was lucky enough to not have upgraded since a push by verizon locked out the ability to put a custom recovery. I'm just wondering if Tmobile has such an issue. Can i install a recovery regardless of my current version? Any limitiations to allowing OTA?

You can install custom recovery on all versions. The T Mobile bootloader is not locked. (That's the problem on the Verizon model, though I think developers found a sollution to that)

However, installing a custom recovery will prevent you from being able to accept the next OTA. You would have to update manually or revert to stock prior to accepting the OTA.

orateam

Jun 20, 2005
Orlando
You can install custom recovery on all versions. The T Mobile bootloader is not locked. (That's the problem on the Verizon model, though I think developers found a sollution to that)

However, installing a custom recovery will prevent you from being able to accept the next OTA. You would have to update manually or revert to stock prior to accepting the OTA.

Thank you. I can flash with confidence. They never unlocked the bootloader on verizon. There is a safestrap, but it only allows TW roms