Corrupt Data/Cache Partitions[FIX]

Search This thread

lacoursiere18

Jan 9, 2013
LbTs
I completely understand. That might be worth trying.

Great info about PIT files! I agree, it sounds like it probably isn't necessary to flash the .pit file unless maybe there is concern that the resident pit file has been corrupted.

Thinking further about pulling the battery, which I am reluctant to do...If in fact the only real risk of pulling the battery while in stock recovery is somehow corrupting or damaging the stock recovery, maybe it wouldn't be such a big deal since I am just going to replace it with Philz immediately afterward.

The way around pulling the battery would to be to just boot back up, power the phone down, than hold button to get back into Download Mode. If your data is corrupt than you can not reboot into your system, therefore a battery pull upon flashing a new recovery, stock or custom, is required.
Also, your better safe than sorry flashing the .pit file. This file directs where the images you flash in ODIN go. If for some reason they flash to a wrong partition.. that will be an issue..
So always use the .pit file;)

hvdesai

Jul 15, 2010
Hard Bricked my Galaxy Note 2

I must have hard bricked my Galaxy Note 2. When I boot the smartphone, it hangs at Galaxy Note II banner. If I try to go to Hard Reset option (Vol Up + Home + Power), I get screen full of e:can't mount....... displayed on the screen. I tried connecting via USB cable and selecting ODIN and/or ADB option, but can't recognize the device.

Is there anything that can be done?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

lacoursiere18

Jan 9, 2013
LbTs
I must have hard bricked my Galaxy Note 2. When I boot the smartphone, it hangs at Galaxy Note II banner. If I try to go to Hard Reset option (Vol Up + Home + Power), I get screen full of e:can't mount....... displayed on the screen. I tried connecting via USB cable and selecting ODIN and/or ADB option, but can't recognize the device.

Is there anything that can be done?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

What's not being mounted.. You need to provide the while error not just "..." The galaxy note 2 is very difficult to totally hard brick. But it is possible needing a jtag or even a new eMMC.
But try to provide a little more info and maybe we can help

hvdesai

Jul 15, 2010
Corrupt Data/Cache Partitions

What's not being mounted.. You need to provide the while error not just "..." The galaxy note 2 is very difficult to totally hard brick. But it is possible needing a jtag or even a new eMMC.
But try to provide a little more info and maybe we can help

Thanks for your response. Below are few messages displayed on the Smartphone.

E:failed to mount /cache (No such file or directory)
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_recovery
E:failed to mount /data (No such file or directory)

And the list goes on and on....

I do get the Android System Recovery screen with 6 standard options, but since that is how far I can get to, I cannot connect using external USB (via a PC) to perform any recovery.

Hope this helps...

Thanks again in advance for your advice.

lacoursiere18

Jan 9, 2013
LbTs
Thanks for your response. Below are few messages displayed on the Smartphone.

E:failed to mount /cache (No such file or directory)
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_recovery
E:failed to mount /data (No such file or directory)

And the list goes on and on....

I do get the Android System Recovery screen with 6 standard options, but since that is how far I can get to, I cannot connect using external USB (via a PC) to perform any recovery.

Hope this helps...

Thanks again in advance for your advice.

Ok so do you have the stock recovery now? Is this the message when you try to wipe cache, dalvik and data through a custom recovery..
If so flash the stock recovery IMG in the op via Odin and then perform a wipe cache and a factory reset. Once its done reboot back into download mode and flash a custom recovery..
Stock recovery wipe should fix that problem.

hvdesai

Jul 15, 2010
Corrupt Data/Cache Partitions

Ok so do you have the stock recovery now? Is this the message when you try to wipe cache, dalvik and data through a custom recovery..
If so flash the stock recovery IMG in the op via Odin and then perform a wipe cache and a factory reset. Once its done reboot back into download mode and flash a custom recovery..
Stock recovery wipe should fix that problem.

Thanks again. I tried both ODIN as well as Verizon repair utility. Verizon Repair utility stops at 83% and Odin fails very quickly. Essentially the eMMC on the device needs to be emptied out, and without having access to the partition on eMMC, there seems to be no way out including the steps described above.

lacoursiere18

Jan 9, 2013
LbTs
Thanks again. I tried both ODIN as well as Verizon repair utility. Verizon Repair utility stops at 83% and Odin fails very quickly. Essentially the eMMC on the device needs to be emptied out, and without having access to the partition on eMMC, there seems to be no way out including the steps described above.

You didn't quite answer my question:

Where are you getting this can't mount text, stock recovery? custom recovery?

Are you on 4.3 OTA?

hvdesai

Jul 15, 2010
Hard Bricked my Galaxy Note 2

You didn't quite answer my question:

Where are you getting this can't mount text, stock recovery? custom recovery?

Are you on 4.3 OTA?

My device was last upgraded to 4.4.2 kitkat by Verizon. Attached are the images showing the type of error messages I am receiving. I tried odin, adb, verizon repair utility everything fails since the device cannot mount the volumes.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 265
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 230
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 225

ganggreen777

Oct 28, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Anyone out there on this thread......somehow I do NOT have data anymore. It kept me at Verizon logo.....and I can also go into philz recovery (which I was able to ODIN).....I went into a 4.4.2ROM I had saved....but I do not have a baseband.....no data.....what gives......anyone out there to help....

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 PM ----------

jagezy3u.jpg
8ery5yny.jpg

Last edited:

lacoursiere18

Jan 9, 2013
LbTs
Anyone out there on this thread......somehow I do NOT have data anymore. It kept me at Verizon logo.....and I can also go into philz recovery (which I was able to ODIN).....I went into a 4.4.2ROM I had saved....but I do not have a baseband.....no data.....what gives......anyone out there to help....

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 PM ----------

jagezy3u.jpg
8ery5yny.jpg

Wipe everything and reflash..

blap017

Jul 23, 2010
I just flashed a 4.4.2 romantic then re odin'd the mj9 baseband or the nd baseband

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Free mobile app

S0UTHPAWK1LLA

Jun 13, 2013
TUCSON
My device was last upgraded to 4.4.2 kitkat by Verizon. Attached are the images showing the type of error messages I am receiving. I tried odin, adb, verizon repair utility everything fails since the device cannot mount the volumes.

Dude...that's stock recovery. If your device was upgraded to 4.4.2 by Verizon, your bootloader is locked still. I am afraid that you probably jumped into the deep end of the pool without knowing how to swim on this. Using Odin to reload the stock image has always worked as my last resort. But I never took the VZW ota either. Maybe towelroot can get you straight

Last edited:
Reactions: virginwidow

zlee67

Jul 27, 2009
New York
Phone wont boot

I followed the steps but now my phone wont even start. Tried the battery pull, hard reset to go to recovery and download but it wont even turn on anymore. How can I fix this? Any help would be appreciated.

nh97103

Nov 25, 2012
You saved me a huge amount of time! Thank you so much!

The only issue I had was returning to CWM after following these instructions because I could not find a Tar file anywhere. I eventually went here and downloaded TWRP, and then, from TWRP, flashed CWM from here.

Thanks again!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Everyone here has - I'm sure since the release of 4.3, experienced a partial corruption of their data/cache partitions.

What happens is you will go to wipe data/cache and you will get an error for a certain folder or subset of files, or the partition cannot be mounted. This ends up causing unbootable system, a force close of an app you cant clear the data for...and just the pure inability to wipe these partitions.

So most of us have taken the long road of flashing back to pure stock via ODIN, using casual to reunlock the bootloader ect ect...very very annoying process. The reason this works however is because ODIN uses a different method to wipe partitions then the custom recoveries we have available to us. Custom Recoveries wipe headers of memory blocks, this is the actual process that creates corruption to begin with. While on the other hand ODIN zero's out not only the headers but the entire blocks - thus fixing the corrupt blocks.

Guess what?! Stock recovery uses this same Zeroing process. So the short simple way to fix this...

1. ODIN Stock MC3 Recovery tar - http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23501681358550082
    2. Boot into recovery, wipe data/cache
    3. ODIN your favorite custom recovery back onto the device.

How much easier was that then fooling around with unlocking again? Enjoy.

Thanks @krowley3 for the tarball.
    I completely understand. That might be worth trying.

Great info about PIT files! I agree, it sounds like it probably isn't necessary to flash the .pit file unless maybe there is concern that the resident pit file has been corrupted.

Thinking further about pulling the battery, which I am reluctant to do...If in fact the only real risk of pulling the battery while in stock recovery is somehow corrupting or damaging the stock recovery, maybe it wouldn't be such a big deal since I am just going to replace it with Philz immediately afterward.

The way around pulling the battery would to be to just boot back up, power the phone down, than hold button to get back into Download Mode. If your data is corrupt than you can not reboot into your system, therefore a battery pull upon flashing a new recovery, stock or custom, is required.
    Also, your better safe than sorry flashing the .pit file. This file directs where the images you flash in ODIN go. If for some reason they flash to a wrong partition.. that will be an issue..
    So always use the .pit file;)
    I can confirm this does work. I flashed TWRP 2.7.0.2 the other day, on reboot of recovery got a message like this:

Code:
    ///////////////////////////////////error
    /////////////
    too many files open in data/media/com.blah.blah
    ///////error

I then proceeded to do an advanced wipe, wiping internal, data, system, cache.. data would freeze and not wipe.
    This also will happen with cache partition..
    Following these steps did in fact work:good:
    Works

I can confirm this also works.

I had a corrupt data partition whereby after one rom flash or another I could no longer install one of my apps. What I found was that in the /data/data/ folder I had remnants of this app that I could not delete. In my case, I could not install facebook. There was a com.facebook.katana folder in that data directory. In addition, I could not backup my rom. Wiping the data partition in Philz recovery still would not get rid of the folder and files. However, using odin and flashing the stock recovery I was able to delete those files.

The recovery goes in the pda slot.
    After flash, it automatically booted, so I pulled the battery and rebooted into stock recovery.
    Wiped data and factory reset in the stock recovery.
    Rebooted into download mode and flashed a custom recovery tar file.

It was super easy. Granted I had to setup my phone again, but no big deal.

And let me just say thanks to @krowley3, @lacoursiere18, and @Deckoz2302 for their support and for keeping this phone going. :highfive:

I flashed the I605 pit file while flashing the stock MC3 recovery. It can be found here.
    SCH-I605_16gb.Pit- http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?05cj895zu3tls7z
    I did not check repartition, so it may have been unecessary. See http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=12221385[ /URL]link to a good discussion of pit files.
    Yep spot on here. Same thing happened to me very recently and I was forced to Odin flash back to 4.1.2 and redo the entire process of unlocking my bootloader, upgrading firmware and modem to MJ9 etc all over again. Major hassle.

Question: why don't custom recoveries wipe the proper way? I mean if stock recovery can do it, surely the advanced recoveries we all use should be able to do it too no? I'm greatly looking forward to hearing about this topic in the future, it could be a great change for all custom recoveries.