FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

READ FIRST! - Rooting, Solutions to Problems, the Answer to Life (Updated:11/29/11)

794 posts
Thanks Meter: 445

By sekigah84, Senior Member on 8th December 2010, 05:10 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
15th April 2011, 08:03 PM |#191  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 2,312

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeboxJohnny

So, I'd root. Then make a backup after rooting (a nandroid?). Then install whatever I want, like CM7. If I wanted to go back to normal, would I just restore the nandroid backup?

Right, make the backup/nandroid [same thing], IF you install a gingerbread rom, like CM7, salvage mod, evervolv, ect, you need to install the latest gapps with it.

Go you back to completely stock, unrooted, you'd run the unrevoked s-on to in recovery, then run a 3.70 RUU.

15th April 2011, 08:05 PM |#192  
Recognized Contributor

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Alright, that makes a lot more sense. Thanks for clarifying that parts, it seems titanium backup is a helluva program.

Now, say I wanted to install a completely vanilla Gingerbread ROM after I install (and didn't like CM7). Where would I get that from? Does it have to be specially made for the Evo or is there a location here that has lists of ROMs?

You need to insall an Evo rom for the Evo. The roms are found in zeh development section. You can't post there yet, but you can browse and still download the roms from there.
15th April 2011, 08:08 PM |#193  
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh roxxorz

You need to insall an Evo rom for the Evo. The roms are found in zeh development section. You can't post there yet, but you can browse and still download the roms from there.

Yep. Evo ROMs only for the Evo. You will see things such as ports. Be careful with those as those will almost never be fully functional when they are first released and are generally for developers to build off of.

If you didn't like CM7, you can try the other Gingerbread based ROMs like rox said. You can also try some of the modded Sense ROMs. All of those are still Sense 1.0 and Froyo.

There are Sense 2.0 ROMs but those are lacking 4G and are still a bit bugged.
15th April 2011, 08:26 PM |#194  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Well, the only 4G tower is on the other side of my state, so lucky me. As long as 3G and Wi-Fi works, I'm set.

My last question: I can unroot and go from S-OFF to S-ON, correct?
15th April 2011, 08:28 PM |#195  
Quote:

Well, the only 4G tower is on the other side of my state, so lucky me. As long as 3G and Wi-Fi works, I'm set.

My last question: I can unroot and go from S-OFF to S-ON, correct?

Yep. When you want to unroot, you want to turn security back on (S-off -> s-on) and then flash the stock RUU's that are out there.
15th April 2011, 08:28 PM |#196  
Quote:
Originally Posted by sekigah84

Yep. When you want to unroot, you want to turn security back on (S-off -> s-on) and then flash the stock RUU's that are out there.

And that will wipe everything again lol. And you won't be able to use Titanium Backup to restore since that requires root.
15th April 2011, 08:32 PM |#197  

More
Alright, sounds good. I feel a lot better about this now. Can just about everything be upgraded and downgraded? Like, for example, the radio. Can that be updated, then downgraded? I'm not sure why, but just wondering.
15th April 2011, 08:33 PM |#198  
Quote:

Alright, sounds good. I feel a lot better about this now. Can just about everything be upgraded and downgraded? Like, for example, the radio. Can that be updated, then downgraded? I'm not sure why, but just wondering.

Yep. You can upgrade and downgrade radios, NV, PRL, PRI, all that good stuff. You flash that just like a ROM.
15th April 2011, 08:33 PM |#199  
Recognized Contributor

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sekigah84

And that will wipe everything again lol. And you won't be able to use Titanium Backup to restore since that requires root.

Now what you can do is look into my backup, but that'll back things up, root not required, copy it to your pc to be sure, run the RUU, copy it back, then restore.
The Following User Says Thank You to teh roxxorz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift teh roxxorz Ad-Free
15th April 2011, 08:34 PM |#200  
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh roxxorz

Now what you can do is look into my backup, but that'll back things up, root not required, copy it to your pc to be sure, run the RUU, copy it back, then restore.

Dual Mount SD?

--Edit--

NVM. lol that space between "my backup" threw me off.
15th April 2011, 08:37 PM |#201  

More
Sounds awesome. Android rocks. xda rocks. You guys all rock. Thanks for all the assistance, I'm sure I'll be back to ask more questions.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)