Sony Ericsson MBW-150 OLED repairs

488 posts
Thanks Meter: 52

By netstat_EVO, Senior Member on 29th March 2011, 07:28 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
31st March 2011, 07:55 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 38

More
There's a set of 96x16 for $15 on Ebay; I was thinking they might be similar to the originals for my Executive edition (says blue). I haven't disassembled my 150 yet to see if they're the same display, but the specs mentioned hot bar contacts. My soldering skills wouldn't lend themselves to something like this, but definitely keep us posted on how this works. I would love to get my 150 working again. I hope you manage to solve this issue!
31st March 2011, 10:00 AM |#12  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hausman

There's a set of 96x16 for $15 on Ebay; I was thinking they might be similar to the originals for my Executive edition (says blue). I haven't disassembled my 150 yet to see if they're the same display, but the specs mentioned hot bar contacts. My soldering skills wouldn't lend themselves to something like this, but definitely keep us posted on how this works. I would love to get my 150 working again. I hope you manage to solve this issue!

Just looked up the eBay one.

Those use a tab connector, not solder-on. And ribbon location is wrong. Good find though, I am constantly looking for alternatives in case mine won't work.
31st March 2011, 11:47 AM |#13  
Flag greece
Thanks Meter: 14

More
look at this it will help you I hope...
Attached Files
File Type: zip mbw-150 internal.zip - [Click for QR Code] (1.12 MB, 1239 views)
File Type: pdf mbw-150.pdf - [Click for QR Code] (417.7 KB, 1660 views)
31st March 2011, 01:44 PM |#14  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathiosn

look at this it will help you I hope...

Already have that. But thanks.

Their internal photos are public through the FCC. But they applied for, and received, a permanent confidentiality status on the parts list. Which, from what I can tell, only screws us on the screen as all markings on the chips and other components are readily visible.
31st March 2011, 03:15 PM |#15  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Been thinking about why I was holding back on specs for the displays I have on order...

Mostly holding back in case I was completely off the mark on these actually working, and didn't want to look like a dumb ass if it failed... But that doesn't make any sense, if it fails I will look like a dumb ass regardless of if people know what components I was using or not lol.

So, in the spirit of XDA, and getting things done as a community, here's what I am using.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disclaimer!!! - I don't know if these will even work yet!
If you further break your broken watch by using these,
it is NOT MY FAULT. Proceed with caution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Truly Semiconductor TOB9M0023-R-E / OEL9M0023-R-E
96x16 pixel, 0.8" diagonal size, 31-pin, red OLED display.

Link to technical brief

Edit: Also, you will see in the tech brief that these are available in red, yellow, green, blue, and white... If they end up working this leaves us some new found room for customization.

Edit Edit: sample photo from manufacturer.
1st April 2011, 09:58 PM |#16  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
More info.

While I had an electrical engineer in my office today, I decided to pick his brain on this whole project... his verdict was that he is certain that the Truly displays will work, which leaves the only potential issue left to be fitting the face of the display into the black plastic behind the face of the watch. (Hopefully it fits right in)

Awesome news?
1st April 2011, 10:08 PM |#17  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Yeah it sounds like good .... I Hope it Works
2nd April 2011, 09:21 PM |#18  

More
Thumbs up Waiting with bated breath
Looking forward to hearing your results. And I thought I was a fan of the MBWs!
I have 3 of them, one with the dim oled.
Anyone know where to get a replacement band for the Classic?

Thank you!!
2nd April 2011, 10:54 PM |#19  
Flag Irving, TX
Thanks Meter: 513

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tektor

Looking forward to hearing your results. And I thought I was a fan of the MBWs!
I have 3 of them, one with the dim oled.
Anyone know where to get a replacement band for the Classic?

Thank you!!

I have three of these myself, also one with the dim LED. In the OpenWatch thread, someone posted a link to replacement Music Edition bands here: http://www.gigatel.hu/G21654. It's not in English so I can't tell if they offer the other bands or not. Maybe they're the same anyway.

Someone else bought an aftermarket tan one that looks good: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?p=7240435
5th April 2011, 10:57 PM |#20  

More
I would be interested in repairs/replacement of OLED display as well as i have the executive edition and realize how important it is when it's NOT working properly!!!
6th April 2011, 01:46 PM |#21  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Still waiting for the displays I ordered to get here. I hate when things that say they will take 4-8 weeks actually seem like they are going to take that long lol

Apparently it is being handled as a 1-off order and they are actually being made per my order. Seems kind of stupid to me, but it is what it is. I can't believe they don't have two displays sitting in a warehouse somewhere.

Edit: Just went and checked my order status (not like I was expecting any change), it's still listed as "Processing". But today makes one week since the order was accepted... Only one week, it feels like 3 birthdays have already gone by... This is going to be the longest 4-8 weeks of my life.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
mbw-150, oled, sony sucks

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)