Guide: Perfect Screen Protector Installation Technique

1,821 posts
Thanks Meter: 670

By BillTheCat, Senior Member on 30th March 2011, 08:47 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
7th April 2011, 09:40 AM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 54

More
Perfect timing, I ordered my protection yesterday!

Thanks.
7th April 2011, 09:43 AM |#22  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Excellent idea... the simple solutions that come from superior thinking.
I wish I had read this before the mediocre job I did on my Incredible... it is sad to see a thing of beauty become... less than. A bad paint job on a Ferrari... it's still a Ferrari but it's just, well... less than.
7th April 2011, 09:58 AM |#23  
Flag MD
Thanks Meter: 0

More
applying screen protectors always pisses me off haha im never satisfied with my job after im done. i gotta try this out next time.
thanks a lot for the guide!
7th April 2011, 12:07 PM |#24  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Nice guide. Let me just add one more hint. I used to do it pretty much the same way, but I figured out that using three "scotch tape handles" instead of two has a major advantage: when aligning the protector with the backing still on it, you can put two "handles" on one side of your phone (let's say the top where the speaker is) and make them stick to the potector AND the phone. Then you use your third "handle", lift the protector, remove the backing, and since there's a "hinge" (the one side that sticks to the phone), you don't have any aligning to do, just lower the protector to your phone and you're done.

Am I making sense?
The Following User Says Thank You to brot2 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift brot2 Ad-Free
7th April 2011, 12:46 PM |#25  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 7

More
This is very good tip , now all I need is to clean my existing screen protector and reapply it using this technique - Thanks
7th April 2011, 01:19 PM |#26  
Flag Barcelona
Thanks Meter: 5

More
This all looks like piece cake until you try to apply a screen protector to an iPad, or anything this size .
7th April 2011, 05:48 PM |#27  
Thanks Meter: 109

More
I think the OP should add to the guide note about the bubbles:

As any bubbles occur in the middle and you can't get rid of them, you should inspect them closely if there isn't a bit of dust (so actually it is dust, not bubble).

If there is no dust in the bubble and you can't slide it to the edge, you can leave it there. As the screen protector isn't 100% air tight the bubble will escape through the protector on itself after few days with no problem.

I've saw this on clear and even matte protectors, so no problem...
7th April 2011, 10:38 PM |#28  

More
i alway put on protector like this:
get: lint-free cloth, quality screen protector (i use clear ones from Brando because these are probably the best you cen get here in czech republic), powder free or preferably vinyl gloves

1) get idea of the desired placement of the protector
2) clean the display and put it on table (or whatever is your workplace) and cover it with the cloth
3) put on gloves, try to not touch anything else then the protector and mobile phone during the whole process
4) take the cloth of the phone and gently blow air on the display to get rid of all the residue dust (dont blow hard, you will spit on it and will have to start over)

I prefer placing the phone with its longer side to me so i can take the protector between mi thumb and pointer finger and start from right to left.

5) gently bent the protector and get the down cover of it about half-way off (bend it to backside and hold it back with your left hand- this will help you not to touch the protector itself, but have a good grip of it)
6) align the protector with the phone and apply about one centimeter to the display
7) review the positioning and if you are satisfied with the positioning, take the cloth to your right hand and slowly polish the protector from center to sides so you get rid of any bubbles (here you have just the first centimeter or two of the protector on the display)
8) slowly apply rest of the protector as you did in step 7

the main thing is: use latex (powder free) or vinyl gloves, it does not leave a mark when you touch the protector (but still try to not touch it )
7th April 2011, 10:50 PM |#29  
Flag Westhampton Beach
Thanks Meter: 51

More
This thread should be stickied.

Thanks so much. This is brilliant and well thought out.
7th April 2011, 10:57 PM |#30  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
thanks for your effort to write this down, wish I had this before when I did it on my Wildfire. But with my I9000 I can try it again.
8th April 2011, 07:44 AM |#31  
Flag Adelaide

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by frottage

Thanks for this guide - nice to see you are using my device the DHD in the example too

One point though in the past I have had good success using a soapy water technique that lets you reposition the protector till you feel its perfect - then you squeegy out the surplus water and when it dries it stays perfectly in position.

I say in the past because i used the above technique with my current DHD protector and its a flawed technique as there is a small gap around the edge of the DHD and soapy water entered the device and got between the screen and the display. I actually thought the device was ruined but over the course of the next 2 weeks it gradually dried and left no trace of the disaster. However I wouldnt do it that way again.

Instead of using soapy water, I always lightly spary the sticky side of the screen protector with either isopropyl alcohol or window cleaner.

This way, you can reposition the protector and then squeegie out any bubbles and the dust follows them out. Then because the solution is alcohol based, it dries quickly.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)