[12/29] Restore for MJ5 --Doesn't trip Knox and optionally provides root--

Search This thread

bailey2408

Aug 4, 2012
+1 on links. I'm in a bootloop and panicking. I'll send a few greenbacks your way if that helps with hosting space

Reactions: rawhide85

drakeymcmb

Jun 22, 2012
Tinley park,il
He already stated, that he knows about the issue and is going to reupload it later.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

bailey2408

Aug 4, 2012
evilpotatoman you are the man. I'm guessing maybe the ext.4.img is still uploading? Will only download like 25 to 50 mb and then completes. When i'm back up and running send me your paypal info if you have and i'll gladly donate!

evilpotatoman

evilpotatoman you are the man. I'm guessing maybe the ext.4.img is still uploading? Will only download like 25 to 50 mb and then completes. When i'm back up and running send me your paypal info if you have and i'll gladly donate!

I'm experiencing the same thing. I used to work for this particular hosting company, and the standard tech support response was "uuuuuhhh.... Web Caches and DNS transversal queues. Check back in 24 hours or 14 Days. Have a good day. Do my survey."

I'm gonna say it's a bandwidth thing, but I used a script to download from dropbox to ftp, if everyone is experiencing the same issue, I'll upload the good old fashioned way.

bailey2408

Aug 4, 2012
drakey your killing me!!!! this is last file i need to see if i can save my note 3 and use your script!!!! if it fails anyway you can get it to me.. ill donate to both you guys!!

bailey2408

Aug 4, 2012
You don't need to donate. I'll upload it if that's ok with evilpotatoman

Man was using firefox to no avail.. tried internet explorer and got to 49 percent. banghead... so close!!!!! already losing loooots of sleep.. might as well make all nighter before return this dang thing

drakeymcmb

Jun 22, 2012
Tinley park,il
Worked for me the first time I tried downloading. Good luck. I'll send the links 6am , I'm letting them upload while I sleep

---------- Post added at 06:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 AM ----------

Heres a mirror

https://mega.co.nz/#F!icMTnSQY!bMBNFmUnn2_K8olSTYpwIA

bailey2408

Aug 4, 2012
thanks again drakey for mirrors and evil for the awesome work. After a night of no sleep i'm nearly back to stock. However i'm stuck on step 10 (installing root). I extracted the files to root of internal memory ( 2 files - one is a folder called "1" and other is the .sh file) and when i reboot supersu is not installing and i'm not obtaining root. Any suggestions? FWIW i couldn't get heimdall for the life of me to install (possible driver issue?) but i was able to extract designgears tar mi9 image and successfully odin'ed that and after odining the partitions and applying csc file from external all is well. Just need root to finish. Also if anyone else gets stuck or has similar situation don't take the ota update since you will bootloop again and have to start all over (i couldn't resist- was so frustrated!! thanks again

Reactions: drakeymcmb

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update:
    After repeatedly, and unsuccessfully, attempting to take total ownership of my phone, I've switched to T-Mobile and will no longer maintain this thread. Thanks to those great many donors who've contributed to support this device and my effort, and best of luck to those who still have the drive to support this device.
    A Special Thanks to the Following Donors:
    @acdcflame
    @lilhacker
    @JAKISTER
    @royal1262
    ---UPDATE---
    If this is your first time recovering to MJ5, please follow all steps.

If you've already ran through this method successfully once, you can start at step 5

**Thanks to:
    147aaron - OTA update
    Designgears - RDLV
    A.S._id - MJ5 Firmware
    drakeymcmb - kn0x0ut support / mirror

1) Download and install Heimdall from here for windows. You'll need this and this to avoid missing .dll file errors

2) Download the following files;Put everything except for the system.img on your external SD card

3) Download and install the MJ5 partions. Use Odin to flash these files (match the file names with the different upload slots)
    Odin.png

4) Now is the time to use Heimdall.

Reboot into Download Mode once Odin finishes.
    Install the vcredist packages downloaded from step 1.
    unzip the heimdall .zip file to c:/
    go to c:/Heimdall Suite/Drivers and click on zadig.exe
    click the middle menu button to select "Show All Devices"
    heimdall1.png

from the dropdown, select MSM8960
    heimdall2.png

click the "install driver" button.
    heimdall3.png

you should see a success message
    heimdall4.png

5) Navigate on your computer to c:/Heimdall Suite/ and open heimdall-frontend.exe.

IMPORTANT -- Go to the Utilities tab and click the "Detect" button
    Go to the Flash tab on Heimdall, click Browse and select the HLTE_USA_ATT_32G.pit file downloaded from step 3
    Click the 'add' button, then next to 'partition name' select system from the dropdown.
    heimdall5.png

click the Browse button underneath the dropdown, and select the MI9_fix.img.ext4 image you downloaded from step 2.

6) Click Start. ***I usually check the 'No Reboot' box to prepare for booting into recovery
    heimdall6.png

heimdall7.png

7) Heimdall and your Note will report a bad flash at around 95% -- but don't worry -- your system.img got uploaded ;) Reboot directly into recovery mode.

8) Once in recovery, select "Choose update from external" in the recovery, and select the sec_csc.zip you downloaded earlier (did you remember to put that file on your external SD card?). This will install the CSC files and run the preload checkin so you don't FC all over the place

9) IMPORTANT--After flashing the sec_csc, the Note will reboot.
    Try to catch it in time to reboot BACK into recovery
    Once in recovery, select "Choose update from external" in the recovery, and select the 2400258.zip you downloaded earlier.

This will give you a stock MJ5 system. You can choose to stop here if you don't want to root.

10) Extract rldv.zip to the root of your internal sdcard (NOTE **my script removes Knox apps). Reboot, then once SuperSu installs, Reboot again.
    rldv.png

This leaves you with a rooted MJ5 device.

If this helped, please hit thanks or donate :cool:

I'm finishing up a custom rom image for us. We'll be able to flash it without the inventive, but dirty, kn0x0ut script.
    Thanks alot. Now people shouldnt be scared to try out my rom flashing thread. I have good news for you, if you go to my thread, i think i found a fix for all the problems people were having with the international roms. Its the last post in my thread.

Keep up the good work,this is useful

If your already on mj5 and you softbrick, does this still work?
    If your already on mj5 and you softbrick, does this still work?

It does indeed. I was softbricked but recovered using this method.
    Check the OP. Dedicated hosting now -- downloads away!!
    Mirror

I have mirrored the files for all of you on my site http://fs1.androidfilesharing.com.

Here is the link: http://fs1.androidfilesharing.com/43c0495cc4214840

This single zip file contains Heimdall, Odin, the image file and the CP, AP and BL files. You will have to download the Microsoft packages for Heimdall separately as I forgot to add them to the zip. Hope some of you find this helpful