Freaking Annoying Questions (aka FAQ)- LG Optimus G(Intl)

Is this helpful?

• Yes!Loved it and will give 5stars!

Votes: 66 90.4%
  • Hell no! Who do you call a n00b?

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Total waste of time! Rubbish!

Votes: 6 8.2%

• Total voters
Search This thread

kimitza

Feb 27, 2010
Buzau
Ok, since there more and more users asking the most simple questions over and over again, I’ll try to make a resume with the hope we won’t have the section poluted with useless questions a million times. I’ll try to provide as much info as possible.
First, make sure you read carefuly and use search function. Your question may already have found the answer.
Second, when you try something on your phone, make sure you know how to undo it. Don’t rush into things without proper documentation. Ignore this friendly advice and you may endup being ignored yourself.
Third and very important :
ALWAYS MAKE AN EFS BACKUP, BEFORE YOU EVEN THINK OF DOING SOMETHING TO THE PHONE. It may save you alot of money if any procedure fails.
Now, the most asked questions :

1.Q: My E970/LS970 has a problem,help?
A: First,make sure are in the right section. This is not AT&T / SPRINT .

2.Q: How many models are outhere?
A: A lot. HERE is a list. If you have a new model, report it there.

3.Q: How do I make an EFS and MODEM backup?
A: Look HERE . Kudos to autoprime for efs backup. For modem backup and make it a flashable zip, see HERE. Credits go to user Dapaua.

4.Q :How do I root my phone?
A: There are several ways to root, FIDDY , FRAMAROOT, MOTOCHOPPER, DOOMLORD .

5.Q: Help, I get “security certificate error”
A: Well, it’s normal since rooting is only half of the problem .You will also need to UNLOCK THE BOOTLOADER.This leads to next question

6.Q: How do I unlock the bootloader?
A: It’s easy, using FREEGEE app from playstore. Both free and donate apps work.But I suggest using the paid app, to thanks Shelnutt2 for his wonderful work. He deserves a beer.

7.Q: OMG, I received a message saying that I might brick my phone.What do I do?
A: That warning is perfectly normal. Don’t forget you are receiving warning even you install a simple keyboard from playstore.The app is safe, used by me and many others before you.

8.Q. Ok, i unlocked with freegee. What now?
A: To be sure, copy the backup freegee folder somewhere safe. I recommend cloud(box,dropbox,drive etc).This way you can restore your IMEI if you run into trouble.

9.Q: How do I flash recovery?
A: By using Fregee. In fact,when you unlock the bootloader,it will ask you to choose the type of custom recovery. My personal suggestion is to install either CWM or CWM Touch. TWRP was reported to give some errors and compatibility issues.

10.Q: How do I enter recovery mode?
A : Turn off phone,press volume down+power button. It will enter fastboot. Now press 2 times volume down,then power. The phone will enter recovery.

11.Q.What rom works on my phone?
A: See question 2 and HERE. Thanks xerxin for his work.

12.Q: How do I install a certain ROM?
A: Every developer gives the solution in his rom thread. Basicaly it’s the same : wipe data/cache/dalvik,format /system,then flash rom and gapps,if we are talking about CM/AOSP/AOKP based roms. On LG based rom, do the wipes,then install zip from sdcard.

13.Q: I tried custom roms, now I want to go back to stock. How do I do that?
A: Use kdz updater. HERE is how to use it. I made simple. Original thread HERE. IMPORTANT : IF YOU GET STUCK AT LG LOGO AFTER USING KDZ UPDATER,YOU NEED TO PERFORM A HARD RESET. After this,the phone will boot.

14.Q. I tried to use KDZ updater, but I get “file extract error”.What should I do?
A:First,make sure the kdz file is not corrupted.If the error persists,start kdz updater in windows xp sp3 compatibility mode,with administrator rights. User Svenskaslynan reported to work this way.This is for the files over 1gb. User Davevinci(kudos my friend) succesfully tested another solution. HERE it is.

15.Q: I flashed a 4.2/4.3 rom,but my files are gone.I only see a “0” folder.
A: Due to different ways of reading paths and the multi user feature on 4.2/4.3 , your files are located in /data/media folder. Use a root explorer (I use ES file explorer) to copy the old files in new location. Mount /system r/w first.

16.Q : I have a korean optimus G(F180). How do I convert it to E975?
A: We don’t recommend it. It has been reported to be troublesome(network and signal loss). Why didn’t you bought the E975 in the first place.

17.Q: I'll ignore your advice,I still want to convert to E975 my korean model. What are the risks?
A: The hardware specs are the same, the difference is made by 4G(LTE) modem. Asia is using different LTE bands than Europe. So,you have to flash korean modem from HERE .Thanks houstonn for his work.

18.Q: Help, i lost IMEI after converting my F180 to E975. How do i fix it?

A: You need to restore the EFS,which you previously saved.Right??Thanks to user davevinci,we have a solution for that too.HERE is how he did it.

19.Q. I didn't saved the freegee folder. How do i get my IMEI back?
A : If you don't have the knowledge(and you don't), you need a JTAG. This tool is expensive and you can find it in gsm services. If it's not illegal in your country, they can rewrite the imei.Of course,it will cost you some money.

20.Q: How do I convert my Optimus G to Nexus 4?
A: Simple : YOU DON’T. Different hardware(8mpx camera,8/16gb storage). If you do that,don’t expect support here.

21.Q: For some reason, I want to unroot and relock the bootloader.How do I do that?
A: Use KDZ updater. This is the easiest and safest way. It will erase any trace of root and unlocking. Do not try unroot from supersu. Of course, backup your files to pc first.

22.Q : I think I bricked my phone.What should i do?
A : First, you must check if the phone enters either in recovery or download mode. If you can enter in CWM, see TINYBIN . kudos autoprime:). If you can't enter CWM,try enter download mode : Turn off phone, connect phone to pc and press power. Then,use KDZ updater.You know the drill.

23.Q. I can't enter CWM or Download Mode.What do i do?
A: This means only one thing: you ****** up your phone. 3 solutions for it : 1.send it to warranty and pray they will not see. 2.go to a gsm service and JTAG it. It will cost you some dough,but it will bring your phone to life. 3.if you don't have warranty or money,well, congratulations,you have a LG shaped brick.good for use as a presspaper.

24.Q: I'm having problems with X rom and Y kernel.What should I do?
A: Ask in the rom/kernel thread. It's more likely to get help there.

25.Q: Does this phone supports USB OTG?
A: Apparently not. For me, it worked on stock rom, but lost that feature after flashing custom rom. To avoid any useless questions about this feature,i had usb otg ON A TEST UNIT,which is NOT the FINAL product. So please, stop quoting this. It's OFFICIAL, we don't have USB OTG on Optimus G.

26. Q: Is photosphere working on OPTIMUS G?
A : NO, it doesn't work. Photosphere is not working on non-nexus devices. If you want that feature, buy a nexus. But i don't know how many times you will use it.It's a gimmick and nothing more.

27. How do i unlock my phone?It's locked on a specific carrier.
A: Unfortunatelly there is no way to do this home. You can either go to your carrier,a gsm service or use an online unlocking server. I personally used MAGICUNLOCK. Costed me 4$ and it was done in 15 minutes.

I'll edit this thread when needed. Would appreciate if you rate this 5 stars to be on top,so everybody can read it. Pressing the THANKS button would be nice too:)

Last edited:

hasan4791

Nov 2, 2011
Gurgaon
Pls include this too... Ask the users to use freegee ly once and keep the backup of freegee separately coz when they use next tym they might lose the orig file... When bootloader is unlocked we cant able to flash kdz and it always end up with saying mobile not connected or something lyk tat... I've tried it recently.... So if user wants to relock the bootloader restore the freegee backup and to unroot mobile juz uninstall the su app and flash kdz....!!

Sent from my LG-E975 using xda premium

Reactions: amedian

kimitza

Feb 27, 2010
Buzau
I never used freegee to restore efs. Only kdz updater to flash stock.This way i always get a clean,unlocked and unrooted phone. I will add something about keeping the backup somewhere safe though.

Zunex95

Apr 14, 2011
Budapest
"Q: Does this phone supports USB OTG?
A: Apparently not. For me, it worked on stock rom, but lost that feature after flashing custom rom."

This is interesting. I heard the E975 can't supply power for USB devices. I can confirm that. How could that be? I mean how'd that worked for you?

kimitza

Feb 27, 2010
Buzau
Don't know. It worked,but with only 1 flashdrive. I couldn't make anything else work.no mouse,keyboard or even another flash drive.used an old otg adapter,from my galaxy s2.i was so happy,i totally ignored it. After the update i received(10d) it didn't worked anymore,no matter what i did. But my g is a test version.maybe this is the reason.

Sent from LG E975 pwd by CM 10.2/smart phones,dumb people.

westswamp

Apr 22, 2005
Tallinn

kimitza

Feb 27, 2010
Buzau
Like i said,on a test device things are different. After getting the final product,it stoped.

Zunex95

Apr 14, 2011
Budapest
Don't know. It worked,but with only 1 flashdrive. I couldn't make anything else work.no mouse,keyboard or even another flash drive.used an old otg adapter,from my galaxy s2.i was so happy,i totally ignored it. After the update i received(10d) it didn't worked anymore,no matter what i did. But my g is a test version.maybe this is the reason.

Ahh, I see. As I heard LG wanted to do it. Originally I wanted to buy a Nexus 4 but because of the lack of OTG I searched for an other device. I red that the OG will have it but somewhere on the line LG forget it lol.

sianghung

Jan 11, 2013
Question

I'm on stock rom, rooted but not unlocked. If there is an OTA update, should I unroot first before updating?

mark_vyz

Jan 5, 2013
This should be rename as faq lg og for dummies. Freaking usefull:p

Sent from my LG-F180L using xda app-developers app

CrawnberyJack

Feb 5, 2012
very good thread.. but bad font colors... i mean that blue is bad for the eyes. (At least for mines)

Last edited:

sianghung

Jan 11, 2013
Q: For some reason, I want to unroot and relock the bootloader.How do I do that?
A: Use KDZ updater. This is the easiest and safest way. It will erase any trace of root and unlocking. Do not try unroot from supersu. Of course, backup your files to pc first.

Ya.... Most of the users telling we need to unroot....... But fr me it workd.... But above 60% it wont wrk...

@hasan4791 , Meaning that it is better to unroot before trying? But what will happen if update when still rooted? Like will softbrick or simply failed to update?
@kimitza , Mind explaining why can't we unroot from supersu app?

kimitza

Feb 27, 2010
Buzau
If you are rooted,but not unlocked,you can unroot with super su. The answer was for those who do both root ans unlock. Only rooting gives highly chances of certificate security error and it's pretty useless. You can't install cwm(error),you can't remove some of the bloat(error avain).
That's why i always say rooting is only half of the problem.
About ota updates,when i was using stock,rooted and unlocked,i could see the updates,i could install them,but after reboot there was no effect.

sianghung

Jan 11, 2013
If you are rooted,but not unlocked,you can unroot with super su. The answer was for those who do both root ans unlock. Only rooting gives highly chances of certificate security error and it's pretty useless. You can't install cwm(error),you can't remove some of the bloat(error avain).
That's why i always say rooting is only half of the problem.
About ota updates,when i was using stock,rooted and unlocked,i could see the updates,i could install them,but after reboot there was no effect.

well, im sure there are peoples out there who rooted but not unlocked just to use apps which needed root access (eg. greenify/titanium backup).

good thread anyway but IMHO, it would be better to state it clearly rather than tell people not to do this and that without giving the reason behind it.

for example,

Q: Help, I get “security certificate error”
A: Well, it’s normal since rooting is only half of the problem .You will also need to UNLOCK THE BOOTLOADER.This leads to next question

your answer din't actually tell what caused the "security certificate error" and how to solve it, instead, you just tell them to unlock the bootloader.

i would have answer it this way: the "security certificate error" happen because you removed bloatware without unlocking the bootloader which triggers the security check built in by LG, search around in Q&A for "security error".

just my two cents :cool:

kimitza

Feb 27, 2010
Buzau
The security certificate error is caused by some apps which require root. When an app tries to acces a certain location,it conflicts with lg's security measures. Also,removing some system app may have the same effect,meaning the security the security checks by the system,looking for that app you removed. Without unlocking you CAN'T flash custom recovery. Should i continue? My friend,if someone doesn't have the knowledge,well,it should leave the phone untouched. All smartphones require some amount of brains to operate it. To hack/tweak/flash roms it requires even more. When someone asks about these things,they should really know what they are doing. Or at least have the basics. Not to mention they must read,use search function before they start. If they don't do that,well,see all the dumb quetions about problems that can be easily solved with a litle research and documentation.
This guide was not meant for those people,because no matter how many tutorials are there,they will simply ignore it and make things their way.wrong way. Then they start threads to cry their phones are ******* up. I will ignore those people from start. This guide is for those who want to learn something and do the things how it should be done.For the ignorants there is no cure.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok, since there more and more users asking the most simple questions over and over again, I’ll try to make a resume with the hope we won’t have the section poluted with useless questions a million times. I’ll try to provide as much info as possible.
    First, make sure you read carefuly and use search function. Your question may already have found the answer.
    Second, when you try something on your phone, make sure you know how to undo it. Don’t rush into things without proper documentation. Ignore this friendly advice and you may endup being ignored yourself.
    Third and very important :
    ALWAYS MAKE AN EFS BACKUP, BEFORE YOU EVEN THINK OF DOING SOMETHING TO THE PHONE. It may save you alot of money if any procedure fails.
    Now, the most asked questions :

1.Q: My E970/LS970 has a problem,help?
    A: First,make sure are in the right section. This is not AT&T / SPRINT .

2.Q: How many models are outhere?
    A: A lot. HERE is a list. If you have a new model, report it there.

3.Q: How do I make an EFS and MODEM backup?
    A: Look HERE . Kudos to autoprime for efs backup. For modem backup and make it a flashable zip, see HERE. Credits go to user Dapaua.

4.Q :How do I root my phone?
    A: There are several ways to root, FIDDY , FRAMAROOT, MOTOCHOPPER, DOOMLORD .

5.Q: Help, I get “security certificate error”

6.Q: How do I unlock the bootloader?
    A: It’s easy, using FREEGEE app from playstore. Both free and donate apps work.But I suggest using the paid app, to thanks Shelnutt2 for his wonderful work. He deserves a beer.

7.Q: OMG, I received a message saying that I might brick my phone.What do I do?
    A: That warning is perfectly normal. Don’t forget you are receiving warning even you install a simple keyboard from playstore.The app is safe, used by me and many others before you.

8.Q. Ok, i unlocked with freegee. What now?
    A: To be sure, copy the backup freegee folder somewhere safe. I recommend cloud(box,dropbox,drive etc).This way you can restore your IMEI if you run into trouble.

9.Q: How do I flash recovery?
    A: By using Fregee. In fact,when you unlock the bootloader,it will ask you to choose the type of custom recovery. My personal suggestion is to install either CWM or CWM Touch. TWRP was reported to give some errors and compatibility issues.

10.Q: How do I enter recovery mode?
    A : Turn off phone,press volume down+power button. It will enter fastboot. Now press 2 times volume down,then power. The phone will enter recovery.

11.Q.What rom works on my phone?
    A: See question 2 and HERE. Thanks xerxin for his work.

12.Q: How do I install a certain ROM?
    A: Every developer gives the solution in his rom thread. Basicaly it’s the same : wipe data/cache/dalvik,format /system,then flash rom and gapps,if we are talking about CM/AOSP/AOKP based roms. On LG based rom, do the wipes,then install zip from sdcard.

13.Q: I tried custom roms, now I want to go back to stock. How do I do that?
    A: Use kdz updater. HERE is how to use it. I made simple. Original thread HERE. IMPORTANT : IF YOU GET STUCK AT LG LOGO AFTER USING KDZ UPDATER,YOU NEED TO PERFORM A HARD RESET. After this,the phone will boot.

14.Q. I tried to use KDZ updater, but I get “file extract error”.What should I do?
    A:First,make sure the kdz file is not corrupted.If the error persists,start kdz updater in windows xp sp3 compatibility mode,with administrator rights. User Svenskaslynan reported to work this way.This is for the files over 1gb. User Davevinci(kudos my friend) succesfully tested another solution. HERE it is.

15.Q: I flashed a 4.2/4.3 rom,but my files are gone.I only see a “0” folder.
    A: Due to different ways of reading paths and the multi user feature on 4.2/4.3 , your files are located in /data/media folder. Use a root explorer (I use ES file explorer) to copy the old files in new location. Mount /system r/w first.

16.Q : I have a korean optimus G(F180). How do I convert it to E975?
    A: We don’t recommend it. It has been reported to be troublesome(network and signal loss). Why didn’t you bought the E975 in the first place.

17.Q: I'll ignore your advice,I still want to convert to E975 my korean model. What are the risks?
    A: The hardware specs are the same, the difference is made by 4G(LTE) modem. Asia is using different LTE bands than Europe. So,you have to flash korean modem from HERE .Thanks houstonn for his work.

18.Q: Help, i lost IMEI after converting my F180 to E975. How do i fix it?

A: You need to restore the EFS,which you previously saved.Right??Thanks to user davevinci,we have a solution for that too.HERE is how he did it.

19.Q. I didn't saved the freegee folder. How do i get my IMEI back?
    A : If you don't have the knowledge(and you don't), you need a JTAG. This tool is expensive and you can find it in gsm services. If it's not illegal in your country, they can rewrite the imei.Of course,it will cost you some money.

20.Q: How do I convert my Optimus G to Nexus 4?
    A: Simple : YOU DON’T. Different hardware(8mpx camera,8/16gb storage). If you do that,don’t expect support here.

21.Q: For some reason, I want to unroot and relock the bootloader.How do I do that?

22.Q : I think I bricked my phone.What should i do?
    A : First, you must check if the phone enters either in recovery or download mode. If you can enter in CWM, see TINYBIN . kudos autoprime:). If you can't enter CWM,try enter download mode : Turn off phone, connect phone to pc and press power. Then,use KDZ updater.You know the drill.

23.Q. I can't enter CWM or Download Mode.What do i do?
    A: This means only one thing: you ****** up your phone. 3 solutions for it : 1.send it to warranty and pray they will not see. 2.go to a gsm service and JTAG it. It will cost you some dough,but it will bring your phone to life. 3.if you don't have warranty or money,well, congratulations,you have a LG shaped brick.good for use as a presspaper.

24.Q: I'm having problems with X rom and Y kernel.What should I do?
    A: Ask in the rom/kernel thread. It's more likely to get help there.

25.Q: Does this phone supports USB OTG?
    A: Apparently not. For me, it worked on stock rom, but lost that feature after flashing custom rom. To avoid any useless questions about this feature,i had usb otg ON A TEST UNIT,which is NOT the FINAL product. So please, stop quoting this. It's OFFICIAL, we don't have USB OTG on Optimus G.

26. Q: Is photosphere working on OPTIMUS G?
    A : NO, it doesn't work. Photosphere is not working on non-nexus devices. If you want that feature, buy a nexus. But i don't know how many times you will use it.It's a gimmick and nothing more.

27. How do i unlock my phone?It's locked on a specific carrier.
    A: Unfortunatelly there is no way to do this home. You can either go to your carrier,a gsm service or use an online unlocking server. I personally used MAGICUNLOCK. Costed me 4$ and it was done in 15 minutes.

I'll edit this thread when needed. Would appreciate if you rate this 5 stars to be on top,so everybody can read it. Pressing the THANKS button would be nice too:)

And another one,just in case.
    Reserved for future
    Pls include this too... Ask the users to use freegee ly once and keep the backup of freegee separately coz when they use next tym they might lose the orig file... When bootloader is unlocked we cant able to flash kdz and it always end up with saying mobile not connected or something lyk tat... I've tried it recently.... So if user wants to relock the bootloader restore the freegee backup and to unroot mobile juz uninstall the su app and flash kdz....!!

Done, changed the colours.