Hotmail/Live Mail setup as ExchangeActiveSync works w/stock Email App (edit:7-1-13)

Search This thread

mpgrimm2

Nov 5, 2011
Greenville, SC
For those of you who aren't entirely committed to one email service like myself (Gmail is great also) or just need to maintain that Hotmail address you've had forever, here you go...
SDXversion of this thread

You can now setup Hotmail/Live/MSN Mail for push notifications and folder/calendar/contact sync using the Exchange Active Sync (EAS) Service and it works with stock "Email" Client. There is a dedicated Hotmail app for android, but I want all my Email in one place, and K9 Mail doesn't support EAS 2010 WebDav, which appears to be what the hotmail server is using. Not sure about Gmail app.

(7-1-13) Thanks to amardeshbd and WinuxUser for pointing out the details for the recent 2-step authentication changes -----------
Two-step authentication has to be disabled before adding outlook/hotmail account.
For the people who have 2-step authentication enabled, your credentials will not work. make sure you disable and try again
(Source: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=43054333&postcount=25)

OR, you need to create app specific password for each device
- follow http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/app-passwords-two-step-verification
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the link and the info:
How to setup Hotmail on Android Phones http://windowslivehelp.com/solution.aspx?solutionid=f49bdf1f-8bb9-47e4-9633-e3a6ba15e2f8
edit: MS killed the detailed instructions link so that you'd be redirected to the hotmail/seven app, but this still works for now!

Instructions for default mail client

Account settings and their level of support will vary across Android phones. While the steps to configure push email with synced contacts and calendar will vary, we have found these steps to work across a number of phones:

1. Select Email client on phone.
2. Press menu and select Add account
3. Enter full Hotmail address: e.g. (username@hotmail.com) or (username@outlook.com)
4. Enter password
5. Select Manual setup
6. Select Exchange when prompted for “What type of account is this?”
7. Domain/Username, enter full Hotmail address: e.g. (username@hotmail.com).
Note: If the device only says “Domain”, it should be left blank.
If the device says “Username”, then enter the full Hotmail address.
(On some devices, the Domain/Username may be pre-populated incorrectly and should be erased.)
8. Type in password. (may already be filled in)
9. Server name. Enter: m.hotmail.com for server name.
** Alternate Servers reported by others: bay-m.hotmail.com
(Note: this field may be pre-populated incorrectly depending on device, ie outlook.com).
10. Make sure box Use secure connection (SSL) is checked.
11. Select Next
12. Select desired account options for inbox checking frequency, number of days to synchronize, send email by default, notifications and contacts/calendar sync. Select Next.
13. Depending on device you may be prompted for account color and account name (e.g. “Hotmail”)
14. Select Next and your Hotmail is set-up and ready to go!

Yea, I still like MS. Win7 MediaCenter Multi QAM Tuner, Remote Potato & Remote Media Ctr android app rock. Don't hate me for it.

Edit: Don't forget to check out: New Official MS SkyDrive APP for Android

2-13-13: Added screenshots

Last edited:

Averell

Mar 13, 2006
Hanoi
For those of you who aren't entirely committed to one email service like myself (Gmail is great also) or just need to maintain that Hotmail address you've had forever, here you go...

You can now setup Hotmail/Live/MSN Mail for push notifications and folder/calendar/contact sync using the Exchange Active Sync (EAS) Service and it works with stock "Email" Client. There is a dedicated Hotmail app for android, but I want all my Email in one place, and K9 Mail doesn't support EAS 2010 WebDav, which appears to be what the hotmail server is using. Not sure about Gmail app.

How to setup Hotmail on Android Phones http://windowslivehelp.com/solution.aspx?solutionid=f49bdf1f-8bb9-47e4-9633-e3a6ba15e2f8
edit: MS killed the detailed instructions link so that you'd be redirected to the hotmail/seven app, but this still works for now!

Account settings and their level of support will vary across Android phones. While the steps to configure push email with synced contacts and calendar will vary, we have found these steps to work across a number of phones:

3. Enter full Hotmail address: e.g. (email address removed) or (email address removed)
4. Enter password
5. Select Manual setup
7. Domain/Username, enter full Hotmail address: e.g. (email address removed).

(On some devices, the Domain/Username may be pre-populated incorrectly and should be erased.)
(Note: this field may be pre-populated incorrectly depending on device).
11. Select Next
12. Select desired account options for inbox checking frequency, number of days to synchronize, send email by default, notifications and contacts/calendar sync. Select Next.
13. Depending on device you may be prompted for account color and account name (e.g. “Hotmail”)

Yea, I still like MS. Win7 MediaCenter Multi QAM Tuner, Remote Potato & Remote Media Ctr android app rock. Don't hate me for it.

I tried with outlook mailbox but it didn't work.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using Tapatalk 2

Averell

Mar 13, 2006
Hanoi
What do u mean by "outlook mailbox"? My wife and I have an @msn.com accounts that this works for.

Sent from my "Up all night, Sleep all day" EVO3D!

I meant @outlook.com mailbox.
I've tried to manually set "server" to "m.outlook.com", but it said "failed to connect". Then tried to change to "m.hotmail.com" >>> ok to connect, but cannot send email.

Also, di you know any free exchange server which supports SMS synchronisation?

Thanks!

mpgrimm2

Nov 5, 2011
Greenville, SC
The outlook .com service is brand new so I'm not sure about it. I would expect that it would use the same m.hotmail.com server and that the rest would be a settings issue but I could be wrong. Haven't seen enough info about it. I copied the settings in the op from Microsoft's site before the killed the link on how to do it. They want you to use their hotmail app which is poor.

As far as exchange SMS, I haven't heard of exchange being used for that let alone a free server.

Averell

Mar 13, 2006
Hanoi
The outlook .com service is brand new so I'm not sure about it. I would expect that it would use the same m.hotmail.com server and that the rest would be a settings issue but I could be wrong. Haven't seen enough info about it. I copied the settings in the op from Microsoft's site before the killed the link on how to do it. They want you to use their hotmail app which is poor.

As far as exchange SMS, I haven't heard of exchange being used for that let alone a free server.

Thanks.
As I know MS Exchange server 2010 supports SMS sync already. But I've not got a chance to try it yet.

nation9k

Mar 30, 2012
Nairobi
Outlook.com works

I meant @outlook.com mailbox.
I've tried to manually set "server" to "m.outlook.com", but it said "failed to connect". Then tried to change to "m.hotmail.com" >>> ok to connect, but cannot send email.

Also, di you know any free exchange server which supports SMS synchronisation?

Thanks!

What do you mean, I also have an outlook.com account and it works, just follow the instructions to the letter and use m.hotmail.com nothing else.

Reactions: mpgrimm2

B1nny

XDA Portal Team / Retired Forum Moderator
May 18, 2008
Thanks for the guide man! Shared it on my Facebook, hopefully it will help some people! :good:

xebozone

Jun 14, 2009
I think Microsoft blocked support on Tablets or on some types of devices.

You may need to use the domain of debug-m.hotmail.com instead of m.hotmail.com

I had to use this on my Transformer Prime TF201

kekuta

Aug 6, 2012

Outlook.com works fine for me. I use the same instructions posted here. No deviations.

pozi

Apr 4, 2007
For a moment I thoght this was Microsoft Outlook client contact synchronization and not the "online" @msn.com, @hotmail.com, @outlook.com, etc accounts.

Anyone has a good -free- suggestion on how to sync Outlook (client/application) contacts & calendar with Android?

Thanks,
Pozi.

mpgrimm2

Nov 5, 2011
Greenville, SC
What do you mean, I also have an outlook.com account and it works, just follow the instructions to the letter and use m.hotmail.com nothing else.
I got @outlook.com working, I'll post the details when i come home ^^
Outlook.com works fine for me. I use the same instructions posted here. No deviations.
Thanks everyone for the confirmation on Outlook.com setup.

For a moment I thoght this was Microsoft Outlook client contact synchronization and not the "online" @msn.com, @hotmail.com, @outlook.com, etc accounts.

Anyone has a good -free- suggestion on how to sync Outlook (client/application) contacts & calendar with Android?

Thanks,
Pozi.
I went through some headaches when I switched from my Winmo 6.0 Treo/Outlook/hotmail setup to Android/outlook/hotmail/gmail setup.
There isn't any decent free solution that I found. I did breakdown and buy "CompanionLink" to handle 2 way sync between Outlook & Google's server (contacts, calendar, & tasks) and it works well for that. I'm almost completely on Google services now (I only use hotmail for push email).

If I find a way to seamlessly sync contacts/calendars/tasks between Google/android/Hotmail/Outlook I will be all over it. Using exchange active sync (from the op) & CompanionLink are as close to a solution as I think there will be.
Note: Exchange Active Sync will allow you to sync hotmail calendar/contacts/tasks, but they will be completely separate from the phone/google info (like a separate directory) and not merge/update them together.

Reactions: pozi

Burn2Hell

Jul 29, 2011
Tilburg
Some info i want to share, ITS ONLY MAIL SYNC!

Incomming settings:
POP3 server: pop3.live.com
Port: 995
Security type: SSL/TLS (Accept all certificates)

Outcomming settings:
SMTP server: smtp.live.com
Port: 587
Security type: STARTTLS (Accept all certificates)

mpgrimm2

Nov 5, 2011
Greenville, SC
If you set up the account as a POP email account, then yes, email (timed interval sync) is all you get without the push option.
If u set it up as listed in the OP (Exchange Active Sync), you get additional features.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

(7-1-13) Thanks to amardeshbd and WinuxUser for pointing out the details for the recent 2-step authentication changes -----------
    Two-step authentication has to be disabled before adding outlook/hotmail account.
    For the people who have 2-step authentication enabled, your credentials will not work. make sure you disable and try again
    (Source: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=43054333&postcount=25)

OR, you need to create app specific password for each device
    - follow http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/app-passwords-two-step-verification
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Enter full Hotmail address: e.g. (username@hotmail.com) or (username@outlook.com)
    4. Enter password
    5. Select Manual setup
    7. Domain/Username, enter full Hotmail address: e.g. (username@hotmail.com).
    ** Alternate Servers reported by others: bay-m.hotmail.com
    (Note: this field may be pre-populated incorrectly depending on device, ie outlook.com).
    11. Select Next

Edit: Don't forget to check out: New Official MS SkyDrive APP for Android

2-13-13: Added screenshots
    I've found a new method after digging through the Microsoft website for enabling Exchange access as well as POP/SMTP access. Works great on my office Outlook 2003 as well as on my Xperia Z...

If you’re unable to use the Hotmail / Outlook app for any reason, you can still set up Outlook.com on your Android device. Here’s how:

On your device, tap Email, then tap Add account.

Enter your Outlook.com email address and password, then tap Manual setup.

Under What type of account is this? tap Exchange.

If there is a Domain field, leave it blank. If there is a Username field, enter your email address.

Enter your password.

For Server name enter s.outlook.com.

Make sure the Use secure connection (SSL) checkbox is checked, then tap Next.

Choose your account options and tap Next.

To finish setup, tap Done.

Alternatively, you can get to Outlook.com through your phone’s Internet browser at http://m.mail.live.com.
    Go to Outlook.com

If your email app doesn’t support Exchange ActiveSync but does support POP3 or SMTP, use the following settings:

Incoming (POP3) Server

Server address: pop3.live.com

Port: 995

SSL Encryption: Yes

Outgoing (SMTP) Server

Server address: smtp.live.com

Port: 25 (or 587 if 25 is blocked)

Authentication: Yes

TLS or SSL Secure Encrypted Connection: Yes

User name: Your email address

Password: Your password

If you don’t want email to be deleted from your Outlook.com inbox after it’s downloaded to your email app, select the Leave a copy of

messages on the server option.

Even if you accidentally set up POP3 to delete messages after downloading them, Outlook.com will save a copy of the mail in a folder

called POP until you verify the POP3 delete command.
    To verify the POP3 delete command:

Sign in to Outlook.com
    Click the Options icon Options icon, then click More mail settings.

Under Managing Your Account, click POP and deleting downloaded messages.

Select whether to delete messages, or override the POP delete request and save a copy in the POP folder.

Click Save.
    Re: Hotmail/Live Mail setup as ExchangeActiveSync works w/stock Email App (edit:2-13-

Don't even bother trying on any CyanogenMod ROM, exchange connectivity is forever broken, ...
    I'm going to politely disagree with you.
    I'm running CM9 Nightly or Cm10 on my HP Touchpad (cm9 mostly) and I am using the documented setup in the OP without issue.

If u are running an unofficial CM release, its possible that the feature hasn't been ported correctly.

The Hotmail/seven app has been around since WinMo/PPC days and hasn't incorporated well with non MS accounts (ie gmail) with the android OS (yet) which is likely why MS offered the Eas option. (They re-added the setup info to their site that I quoted in the op) imo.

no contact sync running CM/AOKP/AOSP, for sure contact sync HTC based rom

In android forums, I found that using snt-m.hotmail. com as server works well I n stock sense app and cm10 mail client. If anyone has webDAV settings for K9 mail client that works on Outlook.com, please share....

As I can recall from older post the serveradress snt-m.hotmail. com can work, but it deepens on what the first three letters of your url adress are, when you login to hotmail / live / outlook with a browser on your computer. When I login my webadress is dub002.mail. .... so I have to use dub-m.hotmail. com instead of snt-m.hotmail .com.

No an other problem I am having. When I am running a custom HTC Rom on my Sensation XE (for instance Elegance 3.4.1, Android 4.0.4) and set up hotmail through EAS all my hotmail contacts (400+) sync perfectly. BUT when I flash a CM 10 / CM10.1 rom and try to set up hotmail through EAS only 8 contact (always the same 8) get synced, the rest is missing. My hotmail contact sync fine with my Outlook 2010 desktop client and with a HTC based rom, but not with a CM or AOKP or AOSP based ROM.

Anybody any suggestion, and please don't suggest using the hotmail + SEVEN app, that sucks
    If u find anything out please post back and I will get the op updated.