[GUIDE] [E980] Fix soft bricks. Flash back to stock using LGFLashTools

Search This thread

lessthanzach

May 23, 2008
Redding, CA
A friendly bump for the tried and tested method. Had to use this to get my Value Pack update. Factory reset my phone like 5 times, cleared all cache and fully unrooted and uninstalled every root app I had and the update still spat in my face. Had to have been a leftover file or what I am assuming was most likely the 2nd Init Recovery.
Well folks, this fixed it for me.
Thanks again @madmack

turilo

Jun 17, 2007
Hamilton,Ont
seems in windows 8 i have issues seeing my device while in download mode in device manager with drivers also installed... bummer

EDIT: ok got it running on a win 7 machine but is there supposed to be some sort of progress bar during flashing? all i see is ready once i re attached the phone in download mode, this normal???

Last edited:

apascual89

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 17, 2011
Atlanta, GA
O
seems in windows 8 i have issues seeing my device while in download mode in device manager with drivers also installed... bummer

EDIT: ok got it running on a win 7 machine but is there supposed to be some sort of progress bar during flashing? all i see is ready once i re attached the phone in download mode, this normal???

Same with me, had to use a win 7 machine.

Once it says ready and you connect the phone , the flashing process should start right away.There is a progress indicator in percentage.

Last edited:
Reactions: turilo

turilo

Jun 17, 2007
Hamilton,Ont
O

Same with me, had to use a win 7 machine.

Once it says ready and you connect the phone , the flashing process should start right away.There is a progress indicator in percentage.

Ok I'll give it another go today, seems last night it just hung at ready and did nothing. Thanks for the info :thumbup:

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk 2

ricco333

Jul 24, 2012
Miami, FL
Ok I'll give it another go today, seems last night it just hung at ready and did nothing. Thanks for the info :thumbup:

The phone should be disconnected when you click on the yellow arrow, when you see Ready then you plug it in, also the progress indicator in my case only reached up to 95% and then the phone had already rebooted and was doing the initial setup. I flashed the latest value pack tot file.

Hope it helps

Erik

apascual89

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 17, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Another quick tip. The first time I tried I forgot to put the battery back in and it failed. Make sure the battery is in.

turilo

Jun 17, 2007
Hamilton,Ont
most likely because you haven't changed the com port to 41. make sure you don't skip that step.

yep, I followed steps fully I had it at com port 41, but same thing happened again. So i pulled the USB cable out of the phone while still in Downloadmode and plugged it back in quickly and the flashing commenced, might be this PC. all is good now fully updated and rooted with TWRP installed :good::D Thanks again for the Tutorial madmack :cowboy:

madmack

yep, I followed steps fully I had it at com port 41, but same thing happened again. So i pulled the USB cable out of the phone while still in Downloadmode and plugged it back in quickly and the flashing commenced, might be this PC. all is good now fully updated and rooted with TWRP installed :good::D Thanks again for the Tutorial madmack :cowboy:

You're very welcome ! I'm glad you got it resolved.

Reactions: turilo

draiko913

Sep 14, 2008
Saint Louis

I had to do the exact same thing. Once the port was ready and I plugged the phone in download mode, it just sat there. I unplugged for 5 seconds and then plugged back in and the process began.

Sent from my LG-E980 using xda app-developers app

htorrado1979

Dec 31, 2012
I need help: I do all the steps outlined but never starts the upgrade process. is uqeda in wait ... disconnect and connect the usb download mode and progresses. I must say I do COM ports change to those specified in the manual, my system is Windows XP opetativo and I appear correctly on my Android drivers

---------- Post added at 05:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 PM ----------

I need help: I do all the steps outlined but never starts the upgrade process. is uqeda in wait ... disconnect and connect the usb download mode and progresses. I must say I do COM ports change to those specified in the manual, my system is Windows XP opetativo and I appear correctly on my Android drivers

try another PC (WINDOWS XP) and not moving, that operating system used? should be with the original data cable LG or another brand I use?

anhdvu

Jul 19, 2013
First of all, I'd like to thank you very much for the thorough guide because this is the only way I can get the value update pack.
My experience was pretty much the same as Ricco333's, which was the indicator reached 95% and my phone started the initial setup. However, at the end of the flashing process, LG FlashTool said Download FAIL!! and the error was F0000002.

Is it normal? Should I do another flash?

My phone seems working properly. I can see all the updates of the value update pack.

Last edited:

Dale3k21

Jul 18, 2013
Read through all the pages here and it looks like this works wonders. Unfortunately, nothing matched my issue exactly. I have TWRP installed on my phone and now I've gotten it stuck in a loop and all I can get to is the TWRP boot. When I turn the phone on, it has the LG logo then has the same error listed before about secure booting error. Can I fix it with the method in the thread or do I have to try another way? Also, I did make a backup before it messed up, but restoring and doing factory resets hasn't changed anything.

madmack

First of all, I'd like to thank you very much for the thorough guide because this is the only way I can get the value update pack.
My experience was pretty much the same as Ricco333's, which was the indicator reached 95% and my phone started the initial setup. However, at the end of the flashing process, LG FlashTool said Download FAIL!! and the error was F0000002.

Is it normal? Should I do another flash?

My phone seems working properly. I can see all the updates of the value update pack.

I personally wouldn't change or do anything. I think you're good :good:

Read through all the pages here and it looks like this works wonders. Unfortunately, nothing matched my issue exactly. I have TWRP installed on my phone and now I've gotten it stuck in a loop and all I can get to is the TWRP boot. When I turn the phone on, it has the LG logo then has the same error listed before about secure booting error. Can I fix it with the method in the thread or do I have to try another way? Also, I did make a backup before it messed up, but restoring and doing factory resets hasn't changed anything.

Yes, this method will most likely reset your phone successfully as it resets all partitions.

Carlosfulll7

Apr 22, 2012
Temple Hills
FailedPreviousLoad Error???? Help Please!

:crying::crying: So after trying this once again finally understood the direction and got the flashtool to work,however after i load the files a ready or finished window is not shown instead i get a "FailedPreviousLoad()" message. I should mention during this the device wAS NOT CONNECTED to the computer as i show in the screnshots.
Someone please help me about this issue. I am really eager to recover to stock and upgrade! :eek::laugh::D

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    165 KB · Views: 1,464
  • Captur2e.JPG
    Captur2e.JPG
    175.1 KB · Views: 1,384
  • port.JPG
    port.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 1,346

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I realized there aren't any guides [in English] around here to help rooted folks that soft bricked their LG PRO to restore it back to factory settings. This should be useful if you got your phone stuck on the AT&T or the LG logo. Especially now that we don't have an unlocked bootloader or a recovery to reocver our soft brick.

Anyway, to start, a little disclaimer: I hold no responsibility if this method renders your phone completely useless, or burns and makes some nice fireworks. I'm simply writing this to document the process that worked for me. Use at your own discretion.

Dislcimaer 2: this method will wipe out your internal sdcard, apps data, everything! It'll restore the phone back to the way you got it from AT&T. Might even lose your cell unlock status (not verified). so keep these unlock codes handy just in case.

Note to linux users :cool: like myself: get your a** on windows or run it from a VM. VirtualBox with Win7 works fine.

Steps:

Download
    1. LGFlashTools v1.5. Anything less won't work. Mirror: HERE
    2. DLL file for LGE980
    3. Drivers
    4. The stock image file
    Thanks to IOMonster for hosting these biga** files.

Install
    1. Install the LG drivers downloaded above.
    2. Install LGFlashTools v1.5 (but don't run it)
    3. Extract the DLL and the TOT files from above and put them in a nice tidy directory

Drivers initialization
    1. Put the phone into download mode. (Turn off device, keep pressing volume down while plugging in the micro usb cable. If this doesn't work, try holding both volume keys instead)
    2. Let the phone initialize and install the drivers. Once done, in Device manager, you should see the LG phone listed under COM ports (something along these lines).
    3. Find that LG entry in Device Manager, click on Properties, Advanced and then change the COM port to COM41 and close/save.
    4. Unplug your phone! Important step.

LGFlashTools
    To get this tool to work, you'll need to do a few tricks.
    1. Set the computer's date to some time in July 2012 or before.
    2. Disconnect the internet
    3. Find a serial number or register key from somewhere on the web (a google search for lgflashtools serial will yield some results). Can't help you here and please don't share any keys in this thread or get us in trouble.
    4. Execute the LGFlashTools. It should ask you for a key, put it in. Now you should see a dialog where you can load the DLL file and the TOT files that you extracted earlier. Put them both in here. Click ok

Flashing
    5. There is a yellow arrow on the top left. Click on it to initialize the process. Once done, it should say "ready/finished" or whatever.
    6. Put the phone in download mode again, and plug it into the USB port. LG FLash Tools should start flashing it automatically. When it's done, it'll automatically reboot into your stock AT&T rom and all of your data and internal sdcard files are gone.

Profit
    @kmn5

StorageCow is not dead. I`m having server issues and have had an hetic serveral days trying to get things back up. If you keep checking I`m slowly adding things back :)
    This needs to be stickied!!!

Sent from my LG-E980 using xda app-developers app

sure thing :) I'm probably going to refer to it myself someday.
    if you warn folks

The music is just not OK IMHO and folks need to be warn it might not be enjoyable...over riders the instructions plus four letter words and such...just a heads-up would have been nice...