OmniROM 4.4 for GT-I9300

Search This thread

XpLoDWilD

Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 19, 2009
France
www.xplod.fr
Requirements:
- CWM Touch 6.0.3.2+ or latest TWRP (if you have a metadata error when flashing, you're using a wrong recovery!)
- Knowledge about Android installation
- A brain
- Hands (Note: a thorough study had shown that no both hands are required for the process)

Downloads
Nightly builds:
http://dl.omnirom.org/i9300

GApps:
Use PA-gapps in the meantime:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2397942

First installation:
- Download gapps and the latest nightly build
- Reboot to recovery
- Flash the nightly build then gapps
- WIPE DATA!!!
- Reboot and enjoy your KitKat

Updates:
OmniROM should pop-up notifications about new nightlies being available.

Changelog:
https://changelog.omnirom.org/#/i9300/next

Known device specific issues:
- Device does not enumerate on USB if booted up while connected to PC.
- Headphones playback path gets nuked if using microphone while listening to music. (Requires reconnecting headset)
- HWC module is a dummy piece of crap, thanks to Samsung openess thing. Needs reimplementation or big batch of fixes.

FAQ:
Q: Why do I get error code 7 when trying to flash ?
A: Because you are using old recovery. Update to the latest TWRP.

Q: Why is there a link for nightlies and for test builds?
A: Test builds got patches cherrypicked in that aren't tested well enough yet to be merged.

Warning 1: Mobile data connection is enabled by default.

Warning 2: Remember to BACKUP your data.

XDA:DevDB Information
OmniROM 4.4 for GT-I9300, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S III I9300

Contributors
XpLoDWilD, Entropy512, Rebellos
ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.0.x

Version Information

Created 2013-11-12
Last Updated 2014-08-19

d1rekt0r

Aug 14, 2012
Well , beside Camera/video issues there is UI lags/stutters and lack of custumization features.

Its a good start anyway :D

And btw, no multiwindow :D

Reactions: arive

fjfcb

May 31, 2011
PA Gapps 4.4 ODEX are needed for ART.
@XpLoDWilD : Is root working in ART?

EDIT:

Ok, root is working in ART but I had to flash chainfire root package

Last edited:
Reactions: josolmino

bretzelpopo

May 24, 2010
Flash cwm-supersu-v0.96 and no root acces . No root problem with other 4.4 maybe tomorrow . Big kif for omni . THX .

d1rekt0r

Aug 14, 2012
Low signal
Very laggy ui
Camera almost not usable (I think you should really focus 90% of your i9300 work on camera because even if everything else is perfect camera is still a deal breaker for most of the people)
Video playback impossible
Very low customization
Graphics glitch out when using default browser
Laggy 3D games

Im not going to lie to you , im kinda dissapointed :( , but then again I know its hard to do anything on exynos so thanks for even trying!

Waiting for new builds !

XpLoDWilD

Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 19, 2009
France
www.xplod.fr
Low signal
Very laggy ui
Camera almost not usable (I think you should really focus 90% of your i9300 work on camera because even if everything else is perfect camera is still a deal breaker for most of the people)
Video playback impossible
Very low customization
Graphics glitch out when using default browser
Laggy 3D games

Im not going to lie to you , im kinda dissapointed :( , but then again I know its hard to do anything on exynos so thanks for even trying!

Waiting for new builds !

Low signal : It's just a display issue
Very laggy UI : Uhm, video needed, because it's smooth as sweet here
Camera not usable is written in the Known issues section...
Video playback, same, written already
Low customization, we just started our alpha, just wait for a few builds
Graphics glitch: Video needed too. Default browser works like a charm here, zero glitch browsing AndroidPolice.com.
Laggy 3D games: Same as above. Video, or list an example game so I can test.

I'm running the same build as you (nightly), and have none of the bug you listed (that weren't known).

Moster2

Apr 20, 2012
The signal is not low. Its a bug with the display of it. Its reading out a wrong value, currently its like 211424242 dBm and not even changing, just a visual bug

edit: lol, posted way too late :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Ch4m3l30n

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Requirements:
    - CWM Touch 6.0.3.2+ or latest TWRP (if you have a metadata error when flashing, you're using a wrong recovery!)
    - Knowledge about Android installation
    - A brain
    - Hands (Note: a thorough study had shown that no both hands are required for the process)

Downloads
    Nightly builds:
    http://dl.omnirom.org/i9300

GApps:
    Use PA-gapps in the meantime:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2397942

First installation:
    - Download gapps and the latest nightly build
    - Reboot to recovery
    - Flash the nightly build then gapps
    - WIPE DATA!!!
    - Reboot and enjoy your KitKat

Updates:
    OmniROM should pop-up notifications about new nightlies being available.

Changelog:
    https://changelog.omnirom.org/#/i9300/next

Known device specific issues:
    - Device does not enumerate on USB if booted up while connected to PC.
    - Headphones playback path gets nuked if using microphone while listening to music. (Requires reconnecting headset)
    - HWC module is a dummy piece of crap, thanks to Samsung openess thing. Needs reimplementation or big batch of fixes.

FAQ:
    Q: Why do I get error code 7 when trying to flash ?
    A: Because you are using old recovery. Update to the latest TWRP.

Q: Why is there a link for nightlies and for test builds?
    A: Test builds got patches cherrypicked in that aren't tested well enough yet to be merged.

Warning 1: Mobile data connection is enabled by default.

Warning 2: Remember to BACKUP your data.

XDA:DevDB Information
    OmniROM 4.4 for GT-I9300, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S III I9300

Contributors
    XpLoDWilD, Entropy512, Rebellos
    ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.0.x

Version Information

Created 2013-11-12
    Last Updated 2014-08-19
    Please note I do not follow this thread. If you want any chance of me seeing your post, you need to "mention" me ( @Chainfire )

OpenDelta is still really really young and no doubt there'll be some more issues down the line.

Also, I see a lot of people around being annoyed by having to reflash SuperSU every update... You guys know there's an option in SuperSU settings to create a backup script, right? Once you've done that, the internal backup tool present in pretty much all major custom ROMs (CM, AOKP, PA, Omni, etc) will preserve SuperSU for you.

I hope the delta updates will have features like a frequency checker, changelog (even if just a link).

Frequency checker? It's designed to not get "in your way" with checking. You can disable checks completely by setting the "Networks" to "nothing".

Changelogs will eventually come. Changelog server for Omni has only just come online, and since that isn't really open, an intermediate solution needs to be found to pull changelogs into the updater without making it unusable for other non-Omni ROMs.

Tried using the system update feature just now. It worked and updated the phone fine, however I lost root and my custom kernel, so still had to manually go into recovery to reflash these .zips
    Just wanted to let u all know, other than that, everything is lovely.

Starting tomorrow (so you'll have to have the 20131208 nightly flashed already for this to work), you can drop ZIPs in /sdcard/OpenDelta/FlashAfterUpdate folder (the correct folder will automatically be created for you once you are on 08 or newer and force a check for updates, so you know its the right folder) and they will all be automatically flashed after the update is performed. So just drop your kernel ZIP in that folder as soon as it exists. For the update from 08 to 09 you should not have to do anything manually anymore.

I just updated through the update feature which produced an error in the CWM script. So I had to re-flash it from the folder OpenDelta. I also flashed SU again while I was there just to ensure I retained root. This doesn't seem to be a problem for anyone else thus far or maybe it's not an issue for those using TWRP?

OpenDelta is only tested against TWRP, Omni's official recovery of choice. There is some code in OpenDelta to cope with CWM, but is (a) untested and (b) known to break if you run an "official" CWM (installed by ROM Manager, downloaded from the CWM website, etc - those are intentionally crippled in the scripting department by it's author). There will not be a work-around for this. If you must run CWM, use a version like PhilZ (which still isn't tested against, but much more likely to work) which has no such crippling.

where is this "delta" downloader? the system updater only downloads big files, obviously forcing then to reapply root and system modification after update.

The updater does *not* *only* download big files. It downloads deltas if possible (and if the collection of deltas is smaller than downloading the full zip, if you have not updated for a while). But for deltas to be possible it needs a starting point. A + B = C. If you don't have A, you can't make C. Initially, it'll try to locate the ZIP for the current flash on your storage (internal only) and use that as a base, but if it can't find that, the first time the update is used, it will have to download the full update ZIP. It saves that so it can be the starting point for the *next* update, though. So it is not at all strange that the first time you use it it downloads a full-sized ZIP.

It uses deltas to reconstruct a full flashable ZIP that is content-equivalent to downloading a full nightly release. It is not a delta of any files on your system (though that would essentially be the same thing) - it is merely a delta of the downloads. As such the result is exactly the same as if you'd download a full nightly ZIP and flash that. If you look through the OpenDelta folder on your storage, it is also normal to only find one big ZIP file (while the updater isn't actively working), regardless of whether deltas have been used or not.
    In collaboration with geecko, here's a test build with the updated graphics stuff.
    ======== Don't expect it to be working 100% correctly that's not the goal. This build is exclusively to get your feedback on graphics and overall performance of the ROM. It is known that Camera and video playback might be both broken partially in this build.

http://dl.omnirom.org/omni-4.4-20131119-i9300-EXPERIMENTAL-GRAPHICS.zip
    I heard you created a working RIL.
    Nameless thread say they got a working HWC .
    CM12 got a working WiFi and everything else. Only thing remaining is RIL and GPS. Why not work together, this one time?

You cannot "work together" on different code bases. CM has its own patches, Nameless has its own patches, and Omni has its own patches. If I want to contribute to either of those, I'd have to completely download the source code, get builds going for it, etc - which would take much more hours than bringing their patches into Omni along with mine, where I have all the source already ready to build and run. I'd also rather do that cleanly than bringing in some of hacks done by others - mainly to ensure the stability we managed to have so far.

Just. Give. Me. Goddamn. Time. I am willing to fix all the broken stuff on all Exynos 4 platform (S2 and S3), not rushing to be the first having something "yeah you can use it but beware dragons".
    temasek got laggy ui...i would switch to omni but temasek already has video playback and camera....and build su

We fixed video playback today, will be up in tomorrow's nightly. Camera should be better as well.