HTC Evo 3D and Sensation Battery Working in Desire HD!

Search This thread

Stickman89

Inactive Recognized Developer
Apr 5, 2007
Milton Keynes
I'm pretty sure the battery capacity does not get read from userland XML. It should be identified via Battery Sensor ( providing our ported Sense / Non-Sense Kernel's have an operational Batt Sensor ) and populated within Kernel space ( htc7x30-3.0 / drivers / power / *_battery.c ). Are our kernel's patched to properly utilize unofficial (unsupported) extended battery's? Otherwise our extended batteries won't be fully exploited. Here's a link to a kernel patch that may be of relevance: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1334052

Albeit the given patch may need some minor tweaks due to it being intended for 2.6.35 GB and that older brother of ours.

May explain the sporadic discharge and charging anomalies some user's have reported.

Also why are people still wiping battery stat's in the hope it will actually alter their charging/battery performance. Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that was debunked ages ago by XDA Portal (source). Wiping these stats does nothing more then wipe the battery statistics read for itemized app usage once unplugged from a charging source. Much like the battery statistics displayed within Settings > Battery.

Last edited:

vahiu

Oct 9, 2013
Birjand
do not damage your phone with this actions !! there is 1800 and enven 2400 mah battery for DHD search on internet to find

comesefosseantani

Mar 3, 2014
I bought a 1900mah Anker battery and I tried to keep the whole battery door, not just the first part, to avoid dust etc getting in.
So I cut it on the long side leaving the room for the battery to come out.
In attachment you can see the result. It's not that accurate but if you are better than me at fretwork it can be nice. :D

Attachments

• IMG_2395.jpg
    IMG_2395.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_2396.jpg
    IMG_2396.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 114
Reactions: komikaze

komikaze

Nov 30, 2013
I bought a 1900mah Anker battery and I tried to keep the whole battery door, not just the first part, to avoid dust etc getting in.
So I cut it on the long side leaving the room for the battery to come out.
In attachment you can see the result. It's not that accurate but if you are better than me at fretwork it can be nice. :D

hello everyone I've just tried sensation xl battery (1600maH) battery on my inspire 4g/desire hd ,and no doubtly it works..but I needed to push the battery a little bit
-as I couldn't close the battery door, the wifi was still working with low performance

So here are my questions:
1)How did you cut your back door? I mean what did you use while cutting it? I think it can't be cut like that by a regular scissor,knife, what was your technique?
2)How long does the sensation battery last ? is there a visibly difference ? yeah 1900maH>1230maH theoritically but I am not sure that Our phones are able to see the capacity as 1900maH not 1230mah
I couldn't measure the sensation battery because it was so old and almost dead
3) is there a problem after you did that ?

according to ur answers I'LL buy a new battery n battery door
Thanks in advance ,have a nice day:good:

RASTAVIPER

May 2, 2011
hello everyone I've just tried sensation xl battery (1600maH) battery on my inspire 4g/desire hd ,and no doubtly it works..but I needed to push the battery a little bit
-as I couldn't close the battery door, the wifi was still working with low performance

1)How did you cut your back door? I mean what did you use while cutting it? I think it can't be cut like that by a regular scissor,knife, what was your technique?
2)How long does the sensation battery last ? is there a visibly difference ? yeah 1900maH>1230maH theoritically but I am not sure that Our phones are able to see the capacity as 1900maH not 1230mah

Everything you ask are answered like a dozen times in this thread.
Maybe better read a bit more.

Unleashed from Onda v957m on TDT

Reactions: knarfl1

comesefosseantani

Mar 3, 2014

hi, I used a little knife (and a pair of gloves :p ) to cut the battery door.
Duration seemed fine, but then I figured out that wifi and bluetooth don't work anymore. I tried to use some clean tape to isolateth ebattery, but no way... I habve to try again with another tape.. but the thicker it is the harder to pull out the battery.. :(

Reactions: komikaze

knarfl1

Jul 1, 2010
I can't believe this thread is still alive! :)

It was started by few members and me (some might say stupidly) wedging Evo battery into DesireHD and it grew into a full blown mod thread. Rastaviper, you get my thanks!

I wish I still had my DHD. :)

Reactions: RASTAVIPER

RASTAVIPER

May 2, 2011
I can't believe this thread is still alive! :)

It was started by few members and me (some might say stupidly) wedging Evo battery into DesireHD and it grew into a full blown mod thread. Rastaviper, you get my thanks!

I wish I still had my DHD. :)

Hehe, my DHD is still being used often as a GPS navigator for my motorbike and the Anker 1900mah battery still works pretty well.
With minimum use I can get around 2.5-3 days with 1 charge.

Yoshi_523

Sep 11, 2010
Great Battery Mod! Thanks Guys!

First let me say I love this mod! :good: Thanks Guys! :)

I used "coolpixs4" battery test method from page 2 on this thread (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2330300). I've quoted his method here:

Use Battery Monitor Widget pro to diagnose your current battery conditions. Discharge untill the phone auto turnoff then continous charge to 100%+2hours more (when you see 0mAh on BMW widget) go to Calibration Tab to check your battery condition. The measured xxxxmAh +/- ?% is your answer.

In that Battery Monitor Widget app I also set the battery perameters to fully charged at 4201mV and empty at I think I chose 3350mV or 3250mV. Please note the default empty on a Desire HD is to shutdown the phone at 3500mV. In general when I read the product spec sheets, quality Li-ion batteries such as 18650's produced by Panasonic, Samsung, Sony & LG often say do not dischage below 2.5V absolute minimum (which is often done in company stress tests) and normally it seems standard practice to not discharge below 3.0V (where the protective circuit will often kick in, turning the battery off). Discharging below this can potentially result in crystals forming on recharge that can make the battery unstable and explode. Interestingly enough is that when I set the battery to discharge below the stock 3500mV it seemed to drop off (die in the arse) in the mV extremely fast only resulting in a very small advantage of the amount of additional power/phone usage gained till it was empty and shutdown.

I found after testing a number of Chinese ebay Desire HD batteries were no better and sometimes worse than my original battery that came with the phone which was 5 yrs old and had been well used! Original HTC Desire HD batteries are actually Printed as SAMSUNG on the metal under the battery wrap incase you wanted to know. Some so called "original" Desire HD batteries are cheap and nasty knock offs and don't have any print on the metal once you remove the wrap.

So grad I got your advice/ideas, guys and did this battery mod. I got the AKKU POLARCELL 1800mAh for the EVO 3D from ebay which came from Germany. Damn it was a tight fit even after removing all plastic wrap but testing with above method confirmed it is indeed around the 1800mAh and I really notice the difference!

So I cut the battery housing to fit and used some copper tape to replace the combined Wi-Fi & bluetooth antenna that gets cut out when you chop the battery housing. I simply cut bits of thin copper tape to fit close to the same length as original Wi-Fi antenna and tacked a little solder to bridge the copper tape at point where needed to make it all electrically connected as one piece of wire would be. Reception works great! :good: I have not personally tested but I've read aluminium isn't the best for antennas and so I used copper tape. Measurements of copper tape shown in pic below but almost any thin copper tape should do the trick when cut to size.

I have bought a replacement battery plastic housing to keep with my old Desire HD battiers. So when I'm out camping, if needed I can pull out the EVO 3D battery when it's empty and replace with one of the old Desire HD batteries and just throw the unmodified plastic housing on to hold it in place.

I've also done the GPS antenna mod with great results to feel free to have a look at my other post on that with more pics and details if you are interested on page 38 of the GPS antenna mod this thread here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1318892&page=38#post66098522

The silicone case nicely protects and holds these mods in my phone. There is only a little bulging most noticeable in the silicone case from the front of the phone along the sides. Here are some pics of my mods:
29pewkm.jpg

y16ky.jpg

ake49s.jpg

2cg07ie.jpg

2057cy0.jpg

ziprn9.jpg

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've been looking for a extended battery for my HTC Inspire 4G (Desire HD) and I just got my HTC Sensation with an Anker 1900mAh battery. Turns out if you remove the battery door for the Desire HD, YOU CAN USE HTC SENSATION AND EVO 3D BATTERIES IN YOU DESIRE HD!

The only problem is that the battery door won't fit back on, so you'll need to break the Desire HD's battery door for the WiFi to work. When you put a case on it, nothing is noticeable.

I'll post pictures soon to prove it's worth.

I'm using my 1900mAh Anker bettery in it right now ;)

Here's what needs to be done to Desire HD battery door:

213r9tv.jpg

Then after that's been done, put it back on the phone showed here:

14l7jvc.jpg

Now put on a case (any will do) and now you have an Evo 3D or Sensation battery working in your Desire HD!! :)

j9ngjq.jpg

If you want a new battery door, they are only $5.40 so mod away ;)

Here's a link to the replacement door: http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Back-Ba...ccessories&hash=item2a144fc023#ht_3765wt_1163
    Here are the pictures:
    http :// imgur.com /a/GPoYQ

First Picture:
    This is what it looks like now. I forgot to take a picture to show you how much the battery stands out, but i guess it's obvious that i didn't cut out that big piece if i didn't have to.
    And no way i'm sanding down the battery. I want to use the phone, not let it spontaneously catch fire.
    But you can't tell it's like that when the otterbox is covering it.

Second Picture:
    That's my antenna so far. 2.4GHz has a wavelength of around 12cm. Since that doesn't fit, i used a 6cm aluminium foil stripe. It's not as good as the stock antenna but i'm getting wifi at home and at work so who cares?

Third Picture:
    You can see that there isn't any room between the battery and the unibody. But i marked the spot on the left where you can stick a whole toothpick. I guess Mugen isn't wrong to say that you CAN fit 1500mAh in there and still use the stock battery cover.

Fourth and Fifth Picture:
    View from above and closeup of the modified battery cover (i used a replacement..the original is still intact).
    I marked the spots where those little pins from the cover go. That's exactly what i needed to ensure that the battery can't come out.

And yes, i accidentally cut off the middle pin on the battery cover :( ....still works :)

next stop:
    http://power-skin.com/battery-cases/ap1508des/htc-desire-inspire.html
    powerskin for awesome 3400mAh! (1900 + 1500)
    That'd give you a freakin' 4.4 days of standby time....getting close to a week....
    I bought an Anker 1900 mAh Sensation battery and a new battery cover to try this solution.
    If this work, overclocking the CPU at 1.4GHz / 1.6GHz will make our DHD a top performer... As soon as I will get all the parts I'll try to remove the inner parts of the battery door and I'll let you know :)
    1.?? The wifi antenna is the top bit of the battery cover, which OP put back on the phone.

9102650.jpg
    Ok, I've had the Evo 3D battery running last few hours and here are some observations:

- No problem charging the battery to full AFAICT (reset the batt stats just for kicks.)
    - the aluminum foil as the DIY wifi antenna seems to be working fine. I laid down a 2" strip along the battery and unto the contact points, securing it with the cut piece of the battery cover.
    - Before the mod I got 1 bar at the far end of my house. AFAICT same after the mod with aluminum strip. Good enough for me.
    - I sanded down a strip (of ditch) on the inside of my TPU case where the bigger battery's edge was touching. Now the case sits just like stock.
    - Call HTC customer support and tell them you need a replacement battery door. If your phone is under warranty period, you'll get one for FREE.

Finally a battery solution that gives me 42% more battery while keeping the same form factor. Thanks OP.