[Guide] Absolute Newbie's Guide to Rooting a Streak 7 that has Stock Honeycomb

Search This thread

wptski

Dec 8, 2011
Warren, MI
Thanks.
Please pardon me if I look dumb. But I have already installed HC by DJSteve given at XDA. I want to update it. For that I think I need to root it. The tried the guide here but for that I need Drivers.zip which should be in the tablet. But I can not find it.
Somewhere in these threads and I don't exactly know where someone was missing those same files. Someone posted a link to them. Try to do a search on "drivers.zip" and maybe you can locate the post.

winpot

Apr 7, 2012
new DS7 user here

Help!!!

my new DS 7 with Android 2.2 stock just arrived and need your help guys. I've been looking around the thread if I can use this GUIDE directly from stock FROYO? or do i need to upgrade first.

just unboxing my unit now.

any input pls.:)

sanchezrd13

Mar 20, 2010
Laredo
Finally Rooted my DS7

I wish to thank EwanG for making this so simple to accomplish. I had been holding off in doing it and finally got down to doing it. I can't seem to find the "Thanks" button on the forum, so again, thanks EwanG.

Edit: Found the button!

Last edited:

baracalao

Sep 15, 2007
Hualahuala
Bootloader error

[/QUOTE]
Steps 1-15)

16) To get it to reboot into CWM, turn the Streak off, and then turn it on again while holding the Power Button and Volume UP (+) at the same time. This may take up to 30 seconds

From here you would follow the normal CWM options to install just the root files (Superuser7 for one example) or install a custom ROM.[/QUOTE]

I have followed these instructions, from step one. I have tried it twice, but when I reboot to go into CWM it gives a stock recovey and when I try option #2 it gives the following error " Unrecoverable Bootloader error (0x00000000). "
What did I do wrong?

I have A Dell Streak 7 with OTA Honeycomb.

Last edited:

FALCON-LORD

Oct 4, 2007
Hey All.
I have a Stock 7 with Honeycomb, and have followed the above. When I boot with the + down the menu shows no change, though during the attempt at installing clockwork it looks like it came up with no issues.
Is anyone able to shone some light on the issue?
(Dos output below)
C:\StreakRoot\Win32>fastboot -i 0x413C flash recovery C:\StreakRoot\S7_3.2-6.0.1
.1.img
sending 'recovery' (4732 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.408s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ 1.316s]
finished. total time: 1.726s
C:\StreakRoot\Win32>fastboot -i 0x413C reboot
rebooting...
finished. total time: 0.001s
C:\StreakRoot\Win32>

baracalao

Sep 15, 2007
Hualahuala
question about rooting problem

Greetings to all.

I have tried the instructions. I have actually run through the process 4 times now, from step one.

I get the same error each time. When I try to boot into recovery. It appears to still be the stock recovery, when I select option #2 it gives a bootloader error message.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Any of you gurus have a suggestion?

I will try anything at this point to get cwm working and root.

Last edited:

Nocturnal_50

Jun 15, 2012
Coolah
Greetings to all.

I have tried the instructions. I have actually run through the process 4 times now, from step one.

I get the same error each time. When I try to boot into recovery. It appears to still be the stock recovery, when I select option #2 it gives a bootloader error message.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Any of you gurus have a suggestion?

I will try anything at this point to get cwm working and root.

did you put the device into fastboot and flash recovery? if no, do it. if yes did you rename your recovery image to "recovery.img" minus the quotation marks and use "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" through the fastboot command?

baracalao

Sep 15, 2007
Hualahuala
Still no dice!!!

did you put the device into fastboot and flash recovery? if no, do it. if yes did you rename your recovery image to "recovery.img" minus the quotation marks and use "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" through the fastboot command?

Yeah, I have tried that. This is really frustrating.

Any other suggestions? :confused:

I have the .27 Honeycomb OTA. I don't know if that is making a difference.

Last edited:

baracalao

Sep 15, 2007
Hualahuala
SUCCESS!!!!!!

Yeah, I have tried that. This is really frustrating.

Any other suggestions? :confused:

I have the .27 Honeycomb OTA. I don't know if that is making a difference.

FInally SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:good::good::good:

I don't know why, but today my Streak played nice, and after 4 times of going through every step, it finally booted into CWM and allowed me to root.

Hallelujah!!!!!

kevin28

Sep 21, 2012
Error cannot load recovery.img?

I can only get to step 13 where i need to fastboot -i 0x413C flash recovery recovery.img

But it says: error cannot load recovery.img

kevin28

Sep 21, 2012
replay

Yes but i had to manually install it this is whats in C:\Fastboot:
fastboot-drivers
google-usb_driver
recovery.img

kevin28

Sep 21, 2012
replay

Don't have a .exe ... So what do i do?

---------- Post added at 04:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 PM ----------

I've been trying this for hours....

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Obviously this guide owes a huge bunch of thanks to "TheManii", "Giveen" and other folks who can't be named on this forum. I have tested this on both a Streak 7 WiFi and a Streak 7 4G. In both cases they had the Stock Honeycomb already on them. So if you are coming from some other version of Android you may wish to reconsider :D

1) Download the Fastboot+ADB.zip file for Clockwork Mod 5.0.2.7 from the XDA Developers thread (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1334487)

2) Download the Clockwork mod 5.0.2.7 file from the XDA Developers thread (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1334487)

3) Go into Settings->Applications and turn on "Run Applications from Unknown Sources"

4) Go to Development Settings and select "USB Debugging"

5) Unpack the Fastboot+ADB file into a directory on your computer where you can find it again

6) Attach the Streak to your PC, and copy the "Drivers.zip" file from the root directory of the Streak (/sdcard) to the same directory where you unpacked the Fastboot file

7) Turn off your Streak after you have copied this file, and disconnect it from the PC

8) Unpack the drivers.zip file and find the "Setup.MSI" file. Execute this file to install the drivers you will need

9) Put your Streak into Fastboot mode - i.e. turn it off, then turn it on by pressing the Power button while holding the Vol DOWN (-) at the same time. This can take up to 20 seconds

10) You will get some red text followed by a white line saying something about Fastboot USB downloading is active

11) Connect the streak to the PC now, and it should install an Android ADB driver. Depending on what you have already setup you may get some drivers installed successfully, and some not. In general if you've been following this guide, you'll be ok

12) Open a command line for the folder where you have fastboot and your recovery image (ClockWorkMod) - in windows navigate to the folder, and hold the shift key while right clicking

13) On the command line type the following:
    fastboot -i 0x413C flash recovery recovery.img (where recovery.img is the ClockworkMod or other recovery file)

14) On the command line type the following:
    fastboot -i 0x413C reboot

15) Your device should now reboot

16) To get it to reboot into CWM, turn the Streak off, and then turn it on again while holding the Power Button and Volume UP (+) at the same time. This may take up to 30 seconds

From here you would follow the normal CWM options to install just the root files (Superuser7 for one example) or install a custom ROM.
    For any one who gets to the end of the steps and now can boot in go CWM but doesn't know what to do about getting rooted.

Very very Simple.

Download Superuser7.zip
    http://www.tablet-cables.com/streak/tools/root/Superuser7.zip

Have your Streak booted normally and USB cable hooked up.

Move to the internal Memory Superuser7.zip

power off device

Power back on using Vol UP & Power Button

Select 2. Software upgrade via update.pkg on SD card and press power

CWM will load.

Select install zip from sd card and power to enter.

select Choose zip from internal sd card and power.

use Vol UP to go backwards to your files and select Superuser7.zip and hit power

move down to YES - Install Superuser7.zip and hit power

thats it. its rooted.

goto ++++++++ Go Back+++++++

and reboot system now

and let it reboot.

Not necessary, but I'd suggest running Superuser and hitting the Knob icon top right (settings) and scrolling down and updating Super User.

Hope this helps someone who may not know where to get Superuser7 and what to do after following the great guide above.
    How do i install these? And how do i get into CWM?
    Look here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1411193

How to get into CWM is in Post #66
    Did you load a custom ROM after following these steps, or did you just reboot aft getting CWM installed. Usually the flickering comes from an issue with the video driver (so can be software if a bad driver, or hardware if it's only marginally in spec).
    I've been doing some more research/troublehsooting and wondering if I should maybe try StreakMod Recovery instead of CWM as detailed in this post: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=840326

There's a link to troubleshooting the stock recovery overwriting your custom recovery that I thought might be helpful but I'm having trouble loading it and google searches aren't turning up much.

What do you think - go after StreakMod for now, won't do any harm? or try to fix (assuming it's the problem) stock recovery overwriting or should I be able to launch into CWM from fastboot to install SuperUser7. I've been doing some research as well to see if maybe there are another series of keypresses I can use but haven't found much yet either.

I looked at HoneyStreak and not sure if I want to go there yet. And with the problem I'm having now I would have concerns the flash wouldn't finish thru and I'd end up bricked.

Thanks. I'm still stuck :(
    Jacqueline
    I use TWRP on both my devices and prefer it. I used CWM for a short time. I've haven't used many different ROMS on either device.

Everybody seems to run into issues with any device. Anything you try other than stock, you run a risk.