[Guide] Absolute Newbie's Guide to Rooting a Streak 7 that has Stock Honeycomb

Search This thread

wptski

Dec 8, 2011
Warren, MI
Thanks so much for all your help! Is it appropriate here to as if there's a ROM you might recommend I flash? I've been wading through them and admit I'm having difficulty making any sense of all the posts.

Thanks
Jacqueline
If you want everything working, go with HoneyStreak although I've never tried it myself.

I've been doing some more research/troublehsooting and wondering if I should maybe try StreakMod Recovery instead of CWM as detailed in this post: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=840326

There's a link to troubleshooting the stock recovery overwriting your custom recovery that I thought might be helpful but I'm having trouble loading it and google searches aren't turning up much.

What do you think - go after StreakMod for now, won't do any harm? or try to fix (assuming it's the problem) stock recovery overwriting or should I be able to launch into CWM from fastboot to install SuperUser7. I've been doing some research as well to see if maybe there are another series of keypresses I can use but haven't found much yet either.

I looked at HoneyStreak and not sure if I want to go there yet. And with the problem I'm having now I would have concerns the flash wouldn't finish thru and I'd end up bricked.

Thanks. I'm still stuck :(
Jacqueline

wptski

Dec 8, 2011
Warren, MI
I've been doing some more research/troublehsooting and wondering if I should maybe try StreakMod Recovery instead of CWM as detailed in this post: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=840326

There's a link to troubleshooting the stock recovery overwriting your custom recovery that I thought might be helpful but I'm having trouble loading it and google searches aren't turning up much.

What do you think - go after StreakMod for now, won't do any harm? or try to fix (assuming it's the problem) stock recovery overwriting or should I be able to launch into CWM from fastboot to install SuperUser7. I've been doing some research as well to see if maybe there are another series of keypresses I can use but haven't found much yet either.

I looked at HoneyStreak and not sure if I want to go there yet. And with the problem I'm having now I would have concerns the flash wouldn't finish thru and I'd end up bricked.

Jacqueline
I use TWRP on both my devices and prefer it. I used CWM for a short time. I've haven't used many different ROMS on either device.

Everybody seems to run into issues with any device. Anything you try other than stock, you run a risk.

Reactions: JacquiG
I use TWRP on both my devices and prefer it. I used CWM for a short time. I've haven't used many different ROMS on either device.

Everybody seems to run into issues with any device. Anything you try other than stock, you run a risk.

I was able to nvflash HoneyStreak HD7 2.0 (3.2) by DJ_Steve :eek: Don't know if my issues with recovery and fastboot are resolved and will investigate those, but I'm happy to be back up to 3.2. If it helps anyone else here's the link to the post: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1088225

lancellot

Jul 11, 2013
Support Starting fastboot USB download protocol

I did yes, thank you for your help. I had DJ_Steve's build on my DS5 too. I"m just trying to extend the life w/o going out and buying a new tablet :victory:

I am very new to the community of rooting and am completely lost. A friend of mine gave me this dell streak 7 because someone gave it to him and he was never able to get it to work. It came with It stuck at "Starting Fastboot USB download protocol" If someone would possibly explain how I might go about fixing this and using it with it's maximum potential I would appreciate it very much. Now although I am very tech savvy I don't have the slightest clue about rooting or loading custom roms so I will have to be talked to like a child until I get comfortable. As of now I have connected the streak to my computer but have yet to have it recognized. That's pretty much as far as I have gotten. I do have a 16gb SD card as well if it needs to be used in the process somehow.

Thanks for all everyone's time and help

here is a link for dropbox picture of what the error looks like

dropbox.com/s/yqc8s4ndybqrwnr/2013-02-25%2009.08.52.jpg

I am very new to the community of rooting and am completely lost. A friend of mine gave me this dell streak 7 because someone gave it to him and he was never able to get it to work. It came with It stuck at "Starting Fastboot USB download protocol" If someone would possibly explain how I might go about fixing this and using it with it's maximum potential I would appreciate it very much. Now although I am very tech savvy I don't have the slightest clue about rooting or loading custom roms so I will have to be talked to like a child until I get comfortable. As of now I have connected the streak to my computer but have yet to have it recognized. That's pretty much as far as I have gotten. I do have a 16gb SD card as well if it needs to be used in the process somehow.

Thanks for all everyone's time and help

here is a link for dropbox picture of what the error looks like

dropbox.com/s/yqc8s4ndybqrwnr/2013-02-25%2009.08.52.jpg

Hi lancellott,

I think our problems are quite different so the steps I took I don't think will help you. The process I used is suggested more as a last resort and the preferred methods of recovering your device are to use fastboot with ADB and stock recovery processes.

If you search the forums there are lots of resources detailing how to recover with fastboot and information on how to set your computer up to recognize your device. The Dell Streak Forums (http://xdaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=968) have some good stickies at the top where you might want to start.

It sounds like you may not have the ADB drivers you need installed the on your computer to recognize your device. If you start with a search for that, you'll find lots of posts detailing exactly what you need and how to install and use it.

I'm fairly new to the forums so don't know of any quick links I could refer you to directly. The more experienced members are very helpful and have created some great posts with all the information you should need.

Good luck!
Jacqui

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Obviously this guide owes a huge bunch of thanks to "TheManii", "Giveen" and other folks who can't be named on this forum. I have tested this on both a Streak 7 WiFi and a Streak 7 4G. In both cases they had the Stock Honeycomb already on them. So if you are coming from some other version of Android you may wish to reconsider :D

1) Download the Fastboot+ADB.zip file for Clockwork Mod 5.0.2.7 from the XDA Developers thread (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1334487)

2) Download the Clockwork mod 5.0.2.7 file from the XDA Developers thread (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1334487)

3) Go into Settings->Applications and turn on "Run Applications from Unknown Sources"

4) Go to Development Settings and select "USB Debugging"

5) Unpack the Fastboot+ADB file into a directory on your computer where you can find it again

6) Attach the Streak to your PC, and copy the "Drivers.zip" file from the root directory of the Streak (/sdcard) to the same directory where you unpacked the Fastboot file

7) Turn off your Streak after you have copied this file, and disconnect it from the PC

8) Unpack the drivers.zip file and find the "Setup.MSI" file. Execute this file to install the drivers you will need

9) Put your Streak into Fastboot mode - i.e. turn it off, then turn it on by pressing the Power button while holding the Vol DOWN (-) at the same time. This can take up to 20 seconds

10) You will get some red text followed by a white line saying something about Fastboot USB downloading is active

11) Connect the streak to the PC now, and it should install an Android ADB driver. Depending on what you have already setup you may get some drivers installed successfully, and some not. In general if you've been following this guide, you'll be ok

12) Open a command line for the folder where you have fastboot and your recovery image (ClockWorkMod) - in windows navigate to the folder, and hold the shift key while right clicking

13) On the command line type the following:
    fastboot -i 0x413C flash recovery recovery.img (where recovery.img is the ClockworkMod or other recovery file)

14) On the command line type the following:
    fastboot -i 0x413C reboot

15) Your device should now reboot

16) To get it to reboot into CWM, turn the Streak off, and then turn it on again while holding the Power Button and Volume UP (+) at the same time. This may take up to 30 seconds

From here you would follow the normal CWM options to install just the root files (Superuser7 for one example) or install a custom ROM.
    For any one who gets to the end of the steps and now can boot in go CWM but doesn't know what to do about getting rooted.

Very very Simple.

Download Superuser7.zip
    http://www.tablet-cables.com/streak/tools/root/Superuser7.zip

Have your Streak booted normally and USB cable hooked up.

Move to the internal Memory Superuser7.zip

power off device

Power back on using Vol UP & Power Button

Select 2. Software upgrade via update.pkg on SD card and press power

CWM will load.

Select install zip from sd card and power to enter.

select Choose zip from internal sd card and power.

use Vol UP to go backwards to your files and select Superuser7.zip and hit power

move down to YES - Install Superuser7.zip and hit power

thats it. its rooted.

goto ++++++++ Go Back+++++++

and reboot system now

and let it reboot.

Not necessary, but I'd suggest running Superuser and hitting the Knob icon top right (settings) and scrolling down and updating Super User.

Hope this helps someone who may not know where to get Superuser7 and what to do after following the great guide above.
    How do i install these? And how do i get into CWM?
    Look here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1411193

How to get into CWM is in Post #66
    Did you load a custom ROM after following these steps, or did you just reboot aft getting CWM installed. Usually the flickering comes from an issue with the video driver (so can be software if a bad driver, or hardware if it's only marginally in spec).

Jacqueline