Sync contacts with gmail account

Search This thread

liderzre

Sep 20, 2008
Fulda
Does any one have problem with sync contacts with gmail account?
I have contacts in my phone. How to synchronize them with gmail?
Mail is synchronizing ok, but contacts... :(
When i tryed new rom-s i must sync with my PC all time, but i want to back them in my phone from gmail. I's it possible?
TY

sushi1234

Apr 6, 2009
You first need to enable the contacts sync. -≥ Go to Settings - Data Synchronization - Google and put a checkmark on Contacts.
On your phone, if you go to contacts, you see on the right side of the contact's name the word phone(this means the contact is a phone contact) You have three types of contacts - phone, google and sim contacts. All of your contacts need to be google contacts, if you want to sync them with google. You can probably manually convert every single phone contact to google contact, but that would take a lot of time.
So to speed up things, you need to do this:

You need to transfer all your contacts to your computer, Outlook or such. Then delete all your contacts from the phone. From outlook you need to export all contacts to the .csv or .vcard file. Then go to Gmail and import all your contacts from .csv file. Connect your tattoo to the internet and again go to settings - data synchronization - Google, press menu and choose Sync now. It will then transfer all your contacts from gmail to your phone. Then all your contacts will become google contacts and you will be able to sync them with Gmail.
In the future, when you create a new contact on your phone, be sure to select google as type of the contact to be able to sync it with gmail.
But be very careful with this, make a backup of all your contacts before you do this.

Bye

Last edited:

liderzre

Sep 20, 2008
Fulda
My contact have letters: š, ć,.. and few more letters that show ? ? instead of š, ć when i'm export contacts from outlook.. I's there any other way to convert phone to google contacts? TY

sushi1234

Apr 6, 2009
I did a bit of research on this and there seems to be no other way to convert contacts from phone to google...i found this answer from htc on one of the forums:

HTC >>There is no default setting to always store a contact as google.
If you wish create a contact save it as google and create another one, if its set to google already then it does remember if not then you'll have to do this manually.

Unfortunately it is not possible to convert all contacts to google ones, it can only be done by re-adding each individual contact.

Last edited:

dejandekic

Dec 4, 2008
Књажевац
I have contacts in my phone. How to synchronize them with gmail?

In phone or SIM?

Just make sure you enable the sync in Settings as noted above and enable background data; every contact should be then synced between server and phone (but I'm not sure about SIM contacts, probably not) when you go online with your phone.

Many of my contacts even have Serbian Cyrillic letters (абвгдђежзијклљ...) and everything works just fine, no matter if they were created in Google Contacts online (www.google.com/contacts) or in my phone.

However, I haven't try sync between phone and Outlook because I use Ubuntu and Google Contacts only ;)

Last edited:

sushi1234

Apr 6, 2009
Dejan i have tried this...i created a phone contact and tried to sync it with google and it doesn't work for me....the contact needs to be a google contact. But for the ščćžđ letters, yes gmail supports them in contact names, sorry for misleading you.

liderzre

Sep 20, 2008
Fulda
I solve problem.
With program expcontacts export all people to sdcard in csv format.
Delete all contacts from phone.
Import csv file from sdcard to gmail contacts.
Sync contacts with gmail.
;)

Attachments

• androidapp.expcontacts.apk
    15.2 KB · Views: 352

sushi1234

Apr 6, 2009
Great workaround Liderzre, skipping the whole outlook thing, for the people who don't use windows and outlook or for the people who don't want outlook to mess up letters čćžšđ in their contact names:)

pirro

Aug 15, 2008
I solve problem.
With program expcontacts export all people to sdcard in csv format.
Delete all contacts from phone.
Import csv file from sdcard to gmail contacts.
Sync contacts with gmail.
;)
for some reason the app only add the contacts that i have on my Gmail account to the CSV file... anyone else having this problem?

update: ok i had to use another app but now my contacts are in my gmail account YAY the app name is UiA - Backup Contacts

Last edited: