[MOD] EZ InitD - init.d the EZ way !!

Search This thread

smokin1337

Retired Recognized Developer
Jul 30, 2010
Virginia
Root IS required !!

This mod will add init.d support to any rom even stock roms without editing the ramdisk. Instead it uses the post_boot.sh file that is in most if not all roms. It should work on most devices, if it does not work on yours please look in /system/etc and post the name of the file that contains "post_boot.sh".

This mod has been tested on the OneX and OneS.

To use just flash in recovery and add your favorite scripts to init.d.

For devs:

To add this method to your rom simply edit the post_boot.sh file and add this line at the bottom:
Code:
/system/etc/init.d/*

Easy right ? Suprised it hasn't been done before, well at least that i know of.

All files in init.d will be executed at boot just like regular init.d. You can also manually add the line and make it whatever directory you want.

I have attached a test file to flash to see if init.d is working.

Flash Init_D_Test.zip in recovery

Reboot and navigate to /data and look for a file called Test.log if it's there Congats init.d works.

Download:
http://goo.im/devs/smokin1337/Mods/Easy_InitD_1.1.zip

Attachments

• Init_D_Test.zip
    124.9 KB · Views: 21,916
Last edited:

Orical

May 22, 2011
Boston
"Init.d support allowed the use of the CPU editor resulting in these results, proof that it works."

I've been testing this since this morning and I didn't hold back on use, forums, news, calls, and texting/mms as well.

Here's the proof but you have to be root and it will change your quadrants a little lower but response is up there with battery savings.

ForumRunner_20120614_194304.png

Last edited:

MadJoe

Jul 18, 2007
Boston
And now that I've got init.d, I feel better, but I'm not really sure what I can do with it...

Sent from my H1S using XDA Premium.

Reactions: v3n3

Orical

May 22, 2011
Boston
And now that I've got init.d, I feel better, but I'm not really sure what I can do with it...

Maybe I should explain my last post, I'm running Stock official release rooted, many people believed that init.d support couldn't be used for Stock builds but this allows you to be able to run scripts like this one I'm running "CLICK THIS LINK TO THE RIGHT, IT"S WORTH IT!!!" (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1584508).

This is the CPU editor which allows you to change cpu settings on a stock kernel and custom kernels as well. The One S has an amazing stock kernel but you can tweak it to control when the second core picks up and drops off, the cpu editor changes those settings depending on how you want it to perform for you by profile.

1. Performance
2. Performance and Battery saver
3. Battery saver

My pic above shows the first day of testing with moderate to heavy use using battery saver (#3) leaving the Min and Max at their original settings 384 and 1512 but telling the cores to work in a different way, instead of the second core picking up at 90% of the first core it picks up at 10% till it makes it to 100% of the first cores process making it snappy but when it reaches 100% the second core drops off and stops running.

When you put it in sleep mode it drops the first core to min settings and holds it there till it's needed. I had to have the init.d script in order to use this script because I like stock for the time being, personally I'm a MIUI fan but Sense 4 has a good hold on me at the moment.

Init.d allows these types of scripts to run on a device which in the past had to be a community developed rom, now it's possible to use a stock device rooted and still have the benefits of developed scripts like multitasking script, supercharger v6, OC daemon (Virtuous) etc...

Hope this clears things up for you.

Last edited:

v3n3

May 31, 2012

As far as I can see, "init.d" Scripts are Tweaks which are dynamicly loaded on each startup by the ROM ( if the said rom Supports it ).
Im pretty new to Android, so Im googling my way thru it right now, but it seems pretty great what you can achieve with those Scripts :)

EDIT:
Woops, looks like someone was fast with a better explanation ^^
Thank you Orical

Last edited:
Reactions: Orical and MadJoe

Orical

May 22, 2011
Boston
As far as I can see, "init.d" Scripts are Tweaks which are dynamicly loaded on each startup by the ROM ( if the said rom Supports it ).
Im pretty new to Android, so Im googling my way thru it right now, but it seems pretty great what you can achieve with those Scripts :)

Most scripts that you'll find here are specific for their respective devices, the cpu editor is more of an universal tool like others posted in other forums that haven't made their way around the block yet but for the most part you would be hard pressed to find scripts that are meant for anything else on these forums.

Devs are really good about warning users if there is something that might be high risk to use.

You are right about the definition though, good to see some one uses that great friend Google that answers all your questions without asking anything in return.... Google is awesome! lol...

MadJoe

Jul 18, 2007
Boston
Orical, V3n3, thanks for the replies. I had an idea of what it did before, but I'm a lot clearer now. I know I've seen threads that say "ROMs with init.d only" or kernels, whatever, but now I can't find them anywhere.

As for messing with the cores, I'm a little hesitant. But I'm also a little curious. Does that script allow for any overclocking? I'm not looking for much, maybe like an extra 100MHz (just to get back what the 1.84 update took away, really).

Never mind, I'm just going to give it a try, made a nandroid and going for it. Thanks again.

Last edited:

smokin1337

Jul 30, 2010
Virginia
Orical, V3n3, thanks for the replies. I had an idea of what it did before, but I'm a lot clearer now. I know I've seen threads that say "ROMs with init.d only" or kernels, whatever, but now I can't find them anywhere.

As for messing with the cores, I'm a little hesitant. But I'm also a little curious. Does that script allow for any overclocking? I'm not looking for much, maybe like an extra 100MHz (just to get back what the 1.84 update took away, really).

Yes you can overclock, check it out the link is in my sig

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

Reactions: MadJoe

Orical

May 22, 2011
Boston
Droidificator said:

Never mind, I'm just going to give it a try, made a nandroid and going for it. Thanks again.

No problem, this opens up options for all stock rom users now that had to leave stock in order to use script enhancements. I don't want to seem like this is my project here, Smokin1337 is the thinker and finds ways to make everything better for everyone. I merely tested it for our device but I'm sure devs will find this useful everywhere, big thanks to smokin for the find.

philliman

Nov 23, 2007
Philly
How does one apply this? I've flashed it and now what? Thanks for the great work by the way!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Orical

May 22, 2011
Boston
philliman said:
How does one apply this? I've flashed it and now what? Thanks for the great work by the way!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Now that you have init. d you can install a script that you can use to do anything you want, I would suggest the CPU editor smokin1337 made. Look at his sig, it's designed to help battery life without having to install a custom kernel bit it also works with custom kernels too.

PS yes terminal emulator is how you use it type "SU" then "CPU" and follow the menu from there.

Last edited:
Reactions: philliman

MadJoe

Jul 18, 2007
Boston
Now that you have init. d you can install a script that you can use to do anything you want, I would suggest the CPU editor smokin1337 made. Look at his sig, it's designed to help battery life without having to install a custom kernel bit it also works with custom kernels too.

PS yes terminal emulator is how you use it type "SU" then "CPU" and follow the menu from there.

I'm using it now, set to battery/performance and already I'm seeing a decent increase in my stand by time. Excellent script!

Orical

May 22, 2011
Boston
Droidificator said:
I'm using it now, set to battery/performance and already I'm seeing a decent increase in my stand by time. Excellent script!

Yeah he knows his stuff, it's not loaded in gimmicks and it does exactly what it should. More need to try it.

greengoldmello

Dec 3, 2007
Houston
Is it possible to flash this without a custom recovery? Im on a evolte and i need this as a stepping stone to improve my multitasking, but i don't want to HTC unlock for a recovery.

smokin1337

Jul 30, 2010
Virginia
Is it possible to flash this without a custom recovery? Im on a evolte and i need this as a stepping stone to improve my multitasking, but i don't want to HTC unlock for a recovery.

If you are rooted follow the manual method in the op

Basically add this line to /system/etc/init.qcom.post_boot.sh

/system/etc/init.d/*

Then create the init.d folder

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

jaysins

Sep 23, 2009
Tried this the other night, went to bed without charging my phone and my phone only dipped 1% in eight hours. Definitely a huge improvement on battery and I chose the middle setting. Awesome work.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Root IS required !!

This mod will add init.d support to any rom even stock roms without editing the ramdisk. Instead it uses the post_boot.sh file that is in most if not all roms. It should work on most devices, if it does not work on yours please look in /system/etc and post the name of the file that contains "post_boot.sh".

This mod has been tested on the OneX and OneS.

To use just flash in recovery and add your favorite scripts to init.d.

For devs:

To add this method to your rom simply edit the post_boot.sh file and add this line at the bottom:
    Code:
    /system/etc/init.d/*

Easy right ? Suprised it hasn't been done before, well at least that i know of.

All files in init.d will be executed at boot just like regular init.d. You can also manually add the line and make it whatever directory you want.

I have attached a test file to flash to see if init.d is working.

Flash Init_D_Test.zip in recovery

Reboot and navigate to /data and look for a file called Test.log if it's there Congats init.d works.

Download:
    http://goo.im/devs/smokin1337/Mods/Easy_InitD_1.1.zip

Maybe I should explain my last post, I'm running Stock official release rooted, many people believed that init.d support couldn't be used for Stock builds but this allows you to be able to run scripts like this one I'm running "CLICK THIS LINK TO THE RIGHT, IT"S WORTH IT!!!" (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1584508).

This is the CPU editor which allows you to change cpu settings on a stock kernel and custom kernels as well. The One S has an amazing stock kernel but you can tweak it to control when the second core picks up and drops off, the cpu editor changes those settings depending on how you want it to perform for you by profile.

1. Performance
    2. Performance and Battery saver
    3. Battery saver

My pic above shows the first day of testing with moderate to heavy use using battery saver (#3) leaving the Min and Max at their original settings 384 and 1512 but telling the cores to work in a different way, instead of the second core picking up at 90% of the first core it picks up at 10% till it makes it to 100% of the first cores process making it snappy but when it reaches 100% the second core drops off and stops running.

When you put it in sleep mode it drops the first core to min settings and holds it there till it's needed. I had to have the init.d script in order to use this script because I like stock for the time being, personally I'm a MIUI fan but Sense 4 has a good hold on me at the moment.

Init.d allows these types of scripts to run on a device which in the past had to be a community developed rom, now it's possible to use a stock device rooted and still have the benefits of developed scripts like multitasking script, supercharger v6, OC daemon (Virtuous) etc...

Hope this clears things up for you.
    Changelog:

1.1 - fixed error in script
    Easy_InitD_1.1

Someone posted a link a few pages back.

Sent from my Galaxy S III using XDA Premium.

Easy_InitD_1.1.zip