New and Improved way to Unroot your device (much easier) [difficulty level 4]

Search This thread

jjjackson56

Mar 27, 2009
LBC
I put the nandroid file on my sdcard, but in recovery when i go to restore there it says no files. What do I need to do to get this to work. I have a replacement coming to me so I need to figure this out.

Edit: Sorry I'm an idiot. I got it know. Thank you so much for posting this.

Edit2: Crap! Ok I have s=on now but i still have hboot 0.86.0000 Shouldn't I have the old one now?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but from my understanding and if memory serves me correct (from before I flashed my hboot) this is the stock hboot

Also billydroid this is the file that was created when you followed the guide to ultimate s=off

Sent from my HTC Glacier using XDA App

jjjackson56

Mar 27, 2009
LBC
@CRoman247

this is correct if you followed the first 6 steps correct then this is what you would see now you need to boot into fastboot by powering off then hold vol down while pressing power then select fastboot and continue at step 8

Last edited:
Reactions: iblaststatic2020

billydroid

Jun 24, 2010
Everything seems to go ok. But I still have s=off. Even applications like terminal deny me su

jjjackson56

Mar 27, 2009
LBC
Try redoing it or try following grankin01 first guide for turning it back on.

jjjackson56

Mar 27, 2009
LBC
I was having issues so bad that it ended up bricking my device, flashed wrong radio and such. I ended up getting a warranty replacement so its all good now. Thanks though.

Mrdaviso

Nov 11, 2010
Can I run the gfree now and use what file it creates being I am already rooted? Unfortunately, I was rooted before that thread was started. I can get back to original radio and hboot and s-on just wondering if root will be seen easily without the part7 file? New one is on its way......

Phateless

Aug 22, 2010
Oakland
www.llinkedin.com
I rooted with the original visionary method so I never created a part7 file. Can I run the gfree now and use what file it creates being I am already rooted? Unfortunately, I was rooted before that thread was started. I can get back to original radio and hboot and s-on just wondering if root will be seen easily without the part7 file? New one is on its way......

It's my understanding that the part7 is an undo to whatever you're doing now. So if you're already rooted, the part7 file you create will bring you back to where you are NOW, which is already rooted.

Make sense?

Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

Mrdaviso

Nov 11, 2010
Confusing....."Gfree writes a backup of the file that it patches named Part7backup-numbers.bin on your sdcard. I suggest putting this file in a safe place as it is the only way to revert if you need to."

Is there something else we did that would have altered this file in the visionary process?

jjjackson56

Mar 27, 2009
LBC
@ mrdaviso if you rooted using the original guide to s=off but didnt also follow the ultimate guide to radio s=off you will not need to worry about this step due to the fact that part7backup was never created because you do not have ultimate root.

@Phateless you are correct this was to bring back carrier lock and such.

Last edited:

Phateless

Aug 22, 2010
Oakland
www.llinkedin.com
@ mrdaviso if you rooted using the original guide to s=off but didnt also follow the ultimate guide to radio s=off you will not need to worry about this step due to the fact that part7backup was never created because you do not have ultimate root.

@Phateless you are correct this was to bring back carrier lock and such.

So this procedure is 100% reversible?

slhpss

May 29, 2009
Sierra Vista
www.t1mgmaps.com
I'm trying to unroot my phone to send back because the sensor button isn't responding.

OK I did steps 1 thru 12 now I'm stuck because I no longer have root to I'm trying to push adb push gfree /data/local" and hit enter and nothing is happening :confused:

gfree not found

Can someone guide me in the right direction please? :confused:

lol? did you do the gfree in the first place? that is did you follow the "true ultimate permaroot and s-off" guide? Unrooting is amazingly simple I don't know why this requires 12 steps or more...

if you would like I can help walk you through restoring to stock on IRC or via some kinda IM app... when do you need this done by? I'm nearing the end of a 12 hour shift, but may be able to help you out tonight... (I'm on IRC right now btw irc.freenode.net channel: #HTC_Glacier)

Last edited:
lol? did you do the gfree in the first place? that is did you follow the "true ultimate permaroot and s-off" guide? Unrooting is amazingly simple I don't know why this requires 12 steps or more...

if you would like I can help walk you through restoring to stock on IRC or via some kinda IM app... when do you need this done by? I'm nearing the end of a 12 hour shift, but may be able to help you out tonight... (I'm on IRC right now btw irc.freenode.net channel: #HTC_Glacier)

I'm not sure if I did the gfree or not, I can't remember :eek:

I followed the true ultimate after I already was rooted with visionary.

I need to send it back today. Are you on gmail?

I just tried logging on to IRC don't know what your name is.

Last edited:

jjjackson56

Mar 27, 2009
LBC
@ g33kchik If you followed the ultimate guide you will have carrier unlock try plugging an att sim and see if it will work if so follow this guide if it doesn't you can eliminate all the gfree steps. Also steps one through 12 will not unroot you should still have root. Are you tying adb devices to make sure you computer sees your phone? If it doesn't bring up your phone id # then adb push wing work. Also make sure gfree is in the folder with adb if its not adb is basically saying wtf there's nothing for me to push. Also all these steps are needed only for the ultimate guide. So if you didn't do this it will eliminate the need for all these steps if you didn't follow it. If there is an easier easy of doing this I welcome anyone to pm me directions.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I am moving onto a new phone so I will not be supporting this thread anymore. Please help each other the best you can. Also if anyone wants to take over and support this thread feel free. Last but not least if anyone wants to use any of the items I put into this also feel free. Remember that android is made possible with contrbutions from viewers like you!

Check out my new guide its much easier and automated now!!

Sorry but I no longer have the files that were in the zip as my laptop that they were on no longer has a charger so I really don't have a way to pull them off until I come up with extra funds to buy a charger for that dinosaur!

I have updated the commands so everything will be working correctly.

Please note this a guide to unrooting your device and returning it to stock, if you have nothing stock and didn't back anything up i.e. modded rom, changed recovery, eng. bootloader.

If you didn't follow the ultimate guide then you will not need to follow steps 1-7. Just follow from 8 on.

Also keep in mind this was created assuming you followed the ultimate guide to permaroot turning radio s=off and changing cid thus unlocking phone.

I am not responsible for any damage to your phone blah blah blah.

Also if I am incorrect in any of these steps someone please let me know.

Also this is just a guide that I wrote using all the others. Please thank and donate to grankin01 for providing the original guide and also thank/donate to tiger013 for providing a stock nandroid. Also thank Football for providing new rom.

With that said here we go:
    Download the PD15IMG file and rename it to PD15IMG.zip

1. Copy PD15IMG.zip and "part7backup-whatevernuberitscalled.bin" to the root of your sdcard

2. Connect your phone to your computer and navigate to your sdk folder then type adb push gfree /data/local

3. Open up terminal emulator or adb shell and type "su" press enter to get root privileges.

4. Type "cd /data/local" and hit enter

5. Type "chmod 777 gfree" and hit enter to make the program executable.

6. Now type "./gfree -f" press enter to run gfree again. It will disable wp on the emmc and remove the brq filter in the kernel. (as well as make another backup. delete this)

7. Now run the "dd if=/sdcard/part7backup-whatevernumberitscalled.bin of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p7" and it should show the output:
    xxxx bytes in
    xxxxbytes out
    xxxxxxxxxx copied in xxxxxxxxxxx

8. Run "sync" and then reboot.

9. Let phone load then boot into bootloader again by holding volume down and pressing power

10. Let it load image and select yes to update.

11. Let it do its work it will reboot once this is normal.

And that should be it. Enjoy stock rom.
    @CRoman247

this is correct if you followed the first 6 steps correct then this is what you would see now you need to boot into fastboot by powering off then hold vol down while pressing power then select fastboot and continue at step 8
    So, basically I can just turn S back to S ON and then downgrade back to the stock rom and radio correct? Thx

I'll try it Monday when I get the new device.
    Turn s on last tho or you loose permissions

Correct

Sent from my CM NexSense using XDA App
    Oh by the way you shouldn't have to rename it its already named what it needs to be.