[Q] How to restore DROID RAZR M back to stock JB 4.1.2 from the kitkat 4.4.2

Search This thread

kulsforu

Mar 15, 2013
Can any one help me to restore my XT907 back to stock JB 4.1.2 from the stock kitkat 4.4.2 update?
My current System version is: 183.46.10.XT907.Veryzon.en.US
Android Version: 4.4.2
Baseband Version: SM_BP_101031.042.32.86P
Kernal Version: 3.4.42-g5170b6b
dbbuild@ca88Inxdroid25 #1
Fri May 2 00:30:06 PDT 2014
Build Number: KDA20.62-10.1
Build Date: Fri May 2 00:20:25 PDT 2014

Please help me.. Thanks in advance...

GnatGoSplat

Apr 29, 2007
Technically, with a locked bootloader, if Fastboot will allow you to downgrade, then it should be possible.
You'd have to boot into Fastboot, then run the command:

fastboot flash system system.img

Where system.img is the 4.1.2 image file extracted from the fxz file. If it won't let you do this, then downgrade isn't possible. It will likely say failed flash and you'll have to flash something to kick the phone out of fastboot like logo.img.

You could also try RSDLite and try to flash the 4.1.2 fxz, but I doubt that will work because bootloader and such are not downgradeable and it will likely fail.

kulsforu

Mar 15, 2013
Technically, with a locked bootloader, if Fastboot will allow you to downgrade, then it should be possible.
You'd have to boot into Fastboot, then run the command:

Where system.img is the 4.1.2 image file extracted from the fxz file. If it won't let you do this, then downgrade isn't possible. It will likely say failed flash and you'll have to flash something to kick the phone out of fastboot like logo.img.

You could also try RSDLite and try to flash the 4.1.2 fxz, but I doubt that will work because bootloader and such are not downgradeable and it will likely fail.

Thanks for ur reply..
My bootloader is locked. I want to try downgrade to stock 4.1.2. Can u please send me the link to download stock 4.1.2 img and exact steps to downgrade?

Thnaks so much in advance..

GnatGoSplat

Apr 29, 2007
Thanks for ur reply..
My bootloader is locked. I want to try downgrade to stock 4.1.2. Can u please send me the link to download stock 4.1.2 img and exact steps to downgrade?

Thnaks so much in advance..

You can get them here:
http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=8
You can extract the original system.img from the archive as well as logo.img in case the phone doesn't allow you to flash system.img, you can use logo.img to kick the phone out of Fastboot. You will need to install Motorola ADB drivers on your computer in advance, and also need a fastboot.exe file which I think you can find via Google, but if you have ever rooted your phone in the past, usually that also came with fastboot.

Anyway, get into fastboot mode by turning off the phone, then holding down all 3 buttons. Use vol- to select Fastboot and vol+ to choose it. Phone should boot into fastboot.

Connect to PC and issue command:

If it works, the phone should be downgraded. If it says flash failed, then downgrade isn't possible. In that case, if the phone is stuck in fastboot mode and can't be rebooted, issue this command to get out of fastboot.
fastboot flash logo logo.img

That should let it reboot as normal.

I actually doubt it's possible to downgrade, but I haven't tried it myself so I can't say for sure.

kulsforu

Mar 15, 2013
You can get them here:
You can extract the original system.img from the archive as well as logo.img in case the phone doesn't allow you to flash system.img, you can use logo.img to kick the phone out of Fastboot. You will need to install Motorola ADB drivers on your computer in advance, and also need a fastboot.exe file which I think you can find via Google, but if you have ever rooted your phone in the past, usually that also came with fastboot.

Anyway, get into fastboot mode by turning off the phone, then holding down all 3 buttons. Use vol- to select Fastboot and vol+ to choose it. Phone should boot into fastboot.

If it works, the phone should be downgraded. If it says flash failed, then downgrade isn't possible. In that case, if the phone is stuck in fastboot mode and can't be rebooted, issue this command to get out of fastboot.

I actually doubt it's possible to downgrade, but I haven't tried it myself so I can't say for sure.

Thank u so much my friend, I need to clear that I m using this phone in India with Reliance CDMA network. If downgrade will succeed then will it in verizon locked condition or it will remain unlocked for global use? Also I need to add that I have never unlocked my bootloader or rooted my phone.

Last edited:

GnatGoSplat

Apr 29, 2007
Thank u so much my friend, I need to clear that I m using this phone in India with Reliance CDMA network. If downgrade will succeed then will it in verizon locked condition or it will remain unlocked for global use? Also I need to add that I have never unlocked my bootloader or rooted my phone.

I think it would stay unlocked since you wouldn't be reflashing the radio.
It is easy enough to re-unlock if that should get reversed, however.

GnatGoSplat

Apr 29, 2007
Ah, nevermind. Don't bother to try it. Even if you could succeed, you'd end up with black screen after the logo. The newer bootloaders will not allow Jellybean to boot. There is no way to downgrade. KitKat is a one way road with a locked BL. Sorry!

GnatGoSplat

Apr 29, 2007
Sorry for the bad news. I'm in the same boat now too. Thought I would experiment with ways to preserve root, and long story short, now I'm stuck on an unrooted phone on stock KK with locked BL.

Why do you want to downgrade? If it's to be rooted, sorry, no solution for that. If there is some other issue, maybe there is a solution for that specific issue.

kulsforu

Mar 15, 2013
Sorry for the bad news. I'm in the same boat now too. Thought I would experiment with ways to preserve root, and long story short, now I'm stuck on an unrooted phone on stock KK with locked BL.

Why do you want to downgrade? If it's to be rooted, sorry, no solution for that. If there is some other issue, maybe there is a solution for that specific issue.

The issue is my CDMA data is not working after upgrade to kitkat. I m from India and using Reliance CDMA sim. Before update, everything was working perfect. But now only data(EVDO or 1x) is not working. GSM data(3G & 2G) is working.
Please help if u have any solution for this issue.

Prohyper

Oct 23, 2012
You can get them here:

I'm also on official KK with locked bootloader, Can i flash kk modified system.img via this method ?

kulsforu

Mar 15, 2013

The issue is my CDMA data is not working after upgrade to kitkat. I m from India and using Reliance CDMA sim. Before update, everything was working perfect. But now only data(EVDO or 1x) is not working. GSM data(3G & 2G) is working.

GnatGoSplat

Apr 29, 2007

Good news is that major developments happened a month ago. :good:
You can now root AND unlock bootloader on KitKat. I think you can find the info you need in this thread:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2783806

Once you have bootloader unlocked, you can downgrade back to JB. I have tried it and can confirm it works.

Good luck!

kulsforu

Mar 15, 2013
Good news is that major developments happened a month ago. :good:
You can now root AND unlock bootloader on KitKat. I think you can find the info you need in this thread:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2783806

Once you have bootloader unlocked, you can downgrade back to JB. I have tried it and can confirm it works.

Good luck!

Thanks much for update..
I can not getting the method. Actually I m new with these things.
Can you please explain how to use tr.apk?
Thanks in Advance..

GnatGoSplat

Apr 29, 2007
Thanks much for update..
I can not getting the method. Actually I m new with these things.
Can you please explain how to use tr.apk?
Thanks in Advance..

You just run it and let it do its thing. Your phone should be rooted once it has rebooted. You can verify with any rootchecker app.
Then install and run Motopocalypse.apk to unlock your bootloader.
You can the use RSDLite to flash back to JellyBean using the JB fxz file. You will need to edit the xml file in the fxz file, removing the lines with gpt.bin and tz.mbn.

kulsforu

Mar 15, 2013
You just run it and let it do its thing. Your phone should be rooted once it has rebooted. You can verify with any rootchecker app.
Then install and run Motopocalypse.apk to unlock your bootloader.
You can the use RSDLite to flash back to JellyBean using the JB fxz file. You will need to edit the xml file in the fxz file, removing the lines with gpt.bin and tz.mbn.

Thanks.. I m getting you.. But I m not using verizon network. My Razr M is unlocked for both CDMA and GSM carrier. I m using my Razr M in India and both CDMA and GSM are working at present. only DATA in CDMA is not working.

My question is will it be remain unlocked for both CDMA and GSM career in India after flashing back stock JELLY BEAN?

Thanks in Advance..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My question is will it be remain unlocked for both CDMA and GSM career in India after flashing back stock JELLY BEAN?

I believe so, yes.
    agree to disagree? :p

once again I'm saying my bootloader.. was constantly loading.. every time I power cycled or put the phone off.. I would be stuck in that "usb connecting" mode.. that's why I ran the command above.. :rolleyes:

also here's another tip for newbies.. ;) if you get really sick of the "Motorola bootloader unlocked message" there's this :)
    It's actually a safety feature. Remove both of them and you have no problem
    Remove only the last one and you'll boot to fastboot mode every time you restart. If the flash fails it's supposed to make sure you can get back to fastboot mode
    But now how can i root and remove bootlader message?

Inviato dal mio XT1052 utilizzando Tapatalk

the bootloader unlocked message is just a logo. flash one of the custom logos from here to get rid of the bootloader unlocked message
    Strange, .15 is not supposed to be root-able. Can you share how you rooted, with screenshots as proof?

Sent from Google Nexus 4 @ CM11
    [WARNING: XDA Premium 4.0.13 lacks Signature function - do not update]
    There have been a few reports of people maintaining root across the OTA.
    Their is a way I think (I didn't tried) if we can flash a zip with PC then we can no doubtly root..

If you're not unlocked, you can't flash a recovery. If you can't flash a recovery, you won't be able to flash a zip. You can't flash zips in stock recovery.

As a side note, and I'm not trying to be a jerk here, please be careful what info you put in your posts. That's all I'm going to say because I'm sure you've received PMs from admins and other regular members.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
    Look now. I probably once received pm . And for your kind information I said if you can... Do you understand the mean of it? And if you can flash a zip. Yes you can root if you can flash zip...without any base don't try to built roof please
    Yes, I do understand what you said, but don't tell him to try if he can't. People just start flashing away and people will start bricking phones.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk