Can't update photon ota

Search This thread

section8ff

Mar 26, 2011
Houston
I recently rooted my photon, and then noticed I had an update. I've tried to update ota, but it keeps failing to install. Is this due to rooting, or is there another problem? I'm still running the stock Rom, as I use 4G too much, and am not ready to tackle the work around. Any ideas?

Thank you in advance,
Section8

mikel719

Mar 25, 2010
Pueblo,Colorado
A lot of people are having that problem. Either wait for a flashable version or sbf back to stock and accept the update then reroot.

Sent from my MB855 using xda premium

AustinMartin

Jul 18, 2011
One of the devs will probably at some point provide an update that you can use with cwm recovery to apply to your phone. If you still have a locked bootloader, make sure you figure out how to install and get into cwm

Sent from my mopho

gollyzila

Aug 27, 2011
Have you deleted any system apps lately? I deleted the music apk which did not let me update without restoring the apk back onto my phone.

section8ff

Mar 26, 2011
Houston
ok, tried to do the update using RSDLite, and for some reason it wont work. I installed RSDLite, downloaded the sbf file, installed the drivers, followed the directions, but RSD wont find the sbf. Am I missing a step?

daddymikey1975

Feb 6, 2010
A lot of people are having that problem. Either wait for a flashable version or sbf back to stock and accept the update then reroot.

Sent from my MB855 using xda premium

I too am stock/rooted and my update fails. I have deleted no apps.

is there a way to sbf back to stock without losing all my apps/settings ?

Thanks in advance

albe070

Sep 23, 2010
Did u unzip the file that u downloaded?

ok, tried to do the update using RSDLite, and for some reason it wont work. I installed RSDLite, downloaded the sbf file, installed the drivers, followed the directions, but RSD wont find the sbf. Am I missing a step?

Sent from my MB855 using XDA App

KTT16

Aug 26, 2011
Fremont
Still new to this, is there a guide to what you are talking about?

- In the forum, download the zip file containing the 45.2.5 Update. Look for "Final Build Courtesy of..." Yay For Juggs had posted that build. It'll take you to stock.

- Unzip it
- Open up RSD Lite and select the SBF file
- Get your phone into RSD support mode
- Connect your phone to the back of your computer and make sure it's charged at least 50% - RSD should recognize it
- Start the program to get you back to the stock ROM
- Once your phone reboots, run the update manually via "About Phone>System Updates"
- Re root your phone after

pIxiLatEd

Dec 31, 2009
^^ that will definitely work for you, but you will loose all your settings and such. I used titanium backyp to back up apps&data but remember that it saves to sd - and that is an internal partition on this phone, so that will get wiped as well. You will need to pull the backup off that partition and replace it after you are updated.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Sidewinder7

Aug 14, 2011
^^ that will definitely work for you, but you will loose all your settings and such. I used titanium backyp to back up apps&data but remember that it saves to sd - and that is an internal partition on this phone, so that will get wiped as well. You will need to pull the backup off that partition and replace it after you are updated.

My internal did not get wiped during RSD. I was able to restore from titanium and never moved any files. It is prob wise to make a copy onto the SD though just to be safe.

gollyzila

Aug 27, 2011
For what it's worth, I've flashed the stock rom with rsdlite and updated OTA and none of my apps and settings were deleted. Everything was just the way I had left it.

section8ff

Mar 26, 2011
Houston

my backups actually save to an external sd card, I've used titanium backup since rooting my evo...thank you for the advice

---------- Post added at 11:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 PM ----------

- In the forum, download the zip file containing the 45.2.5 Update. Look for "Final Build Courtesy of..." Yay For Juggs had posted that build. It'll take you to stock.

- Unzip it
- Open up RSD Lite and select the SBF file
- Get your phone into RSD support mode
- Connect your phone to the back of your computer and make sure it's charged at least 50% - RSD should recognize it
- Start the program to get you back to the stock ROM
- Once your phone reboots, run the update manually via "About Phone>System Updates"
- Re root your phone after

thank you for the help

---------- Post added at 11:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 PM ----------

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1202666

That is the only post I can find from the referenced poster, which is what I attempted to follow. The first link is the phone update, correct? I cant get this to unzip for anything, I have everything else installed correctly. Do I have the wrong thread?

Thank you in advance,

Section 8

*EDIT*
I think I figured it out, just gotta get some juice in my phone, apparently my computer was not charging the phone like I thought it was...

Last edited:

section8ff

Mar 26, 2011
Houston
ok, got it all figured out, thank you to all who helped me out. Hopefully this will help with the wifi/connectivity issues...