[GUIDE] Download ANY firmware customization from Sony & create an FTF with Flashtool

Search This thread

Apollo89

Mar 9, 2013
[GUIDE] Download ANY firmware customization from Sony & create an FTF with Flashtool

Part A: changing your customization number to download a different firmware customization (optional)

Requirements:

1. Start BuildProp Editor.
  2. When a Superuser request pops up, tap 'Grant' or 'Allow'.

8i5m.png

3. At the first start, a backup of 'build.prop' will be created automatically, which can be restored in case of any problems.

7bet.png

4. Scroll down to 'ro.semc.version.cust' and tap it.

51zc.png

5. Change the value to the customization number of the firmware you want to download.

skwg.png

6. When asked to reboot, tap 'No'.

m7z.png

7. Tap 'ro.semc.version.cus_revision' and change the value to 'R1A'.

v81c.png

8. When asked to reboot, tap 'Yes'.

Part B: downloading firmware with Sony PC Companion

Requirements:

1. Delete this folder if it already exists:
    - Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sony Mobile\Update Engine\db
    - Windows Vista/7/8: C:\ProgramData\Sony Mobile\Update Engine\db
  2. Start Sony PC Companion.
  • Case A: new software version available

8g3.png

1. Click 'Update'.

2. Click 'Accept'.

n77.png

3. If you only want to download the firmware without updating, disconnect your phone as soon as the "Downloading software..." screen appears.

goyk.png

4. If you disconnected your phone, this window will appear, which you may close. Otherwise your phone software will be updated.

nq2.png
  • Case B: no new software version available

pqp8.png

1. Click 'Your Phone / Tablet is up to date'.

2. Click 'repair my phone / tablet'.

3kr.png

3. Click 'Next'.

p5bc.png

4. Repairing your phone will delete your personal data and settings. If you don't want this, see step 6. Click 'Continue'.

7hq.png

5. Tick the checkbox and click 'Next'.

9f5h.png

6. If you only want to download the firmware without repairing, disconnect your phone as soon as the "Downloading software..." screen appears.

goyk.png

7. If you disconnected your phone, this window will appear, which you may close. Otherwise your phone software will be repaired and your personal data will be lost.

nq2.png

Part C: creating an FTF file with Flashtool

Requirements:
  • Flashtool
  • Firmware files from Sony PC Companion or Sony Update Service (see part B).

1. Start Flashtool or Flashtool64 (for 64-bit Windows).
  2. Click 'Tools' > 'SEUS Decrypt'.

4m7.png

3. Select the 'Source Folder' (copy-pasting this path will not work):
    - Sony PC Companion (Windows XP): C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sony Mobile\Update Engine\db\13740270\blob_fs
    - Sony PC Companion (Windows Vista/7/8): C:\ProgramData\Sony Mobile\Update Engine\db\13740270\blob_fs
    - Sony Update Service (32-bit Windows): C:\Program Files\Sony Mobile\Update Service\db\13740270\blob_fs
    - Sony Update Service (64-bit Windows): C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony Mobile\Update Service\db\13740270\blob_fs
    Move all 'Available files' to 'Files to convert' by selecting them and clicking the right arrow button.
    Click 'Convert'.

c6w.png

4gsd.png

4. Enter the following details:
    - Device: your phone model, e.g. 'C6502', 'C6503' or 'C6506' for Xperia ZL (see 'Settings' > 'About phone' > 'Model number').
    - Branding: can be found in the first columns of these tables by looking up the customization number, e.g. 'Customized US'.
    - Version: the build number of the firmware, e.g. '10.1.1.A.1.307'.
    Move all files from 'folder list' to 'Firmware content' except *.ta files (e.g. simlock.ta, preset1.ta, cust-reset.ta, ...) by selecting them and clicking the right arrow button.
    Click 'Create'.

mh3c.png

5. When you see 'Bundle creation finished', your FTF will be in 'C:\Flashtool\firmwares'. If your combination of device/branding/build is not yet available on xda-developers forum, please be so kind to share it (see part D).

cdfc.png

6. To save about 2 GB of disk space, delete this folder:
    - Sony PC Companion (Windows XP): C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sony Mobile\Update Engine\db\13740270\blob_fs
    - Sony PC Companion (Windows Vista/7/8): C:\ProgramData\Sony Mobile\Update Engine\db\13740270\blob_fs
    - Sony Update Service (32-bit Windows): C:\Program Files\Sony Mobile\Update Service\db\13740270\blob_fs
    - Sony Update Service (64-bit Windows): C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony Mobile\Update Service\db\13740270\blob_fs

Part D: sharing your FTF on xda-developers forum

1. Upload your FTF to a file host. I use Dev-Host for this purpose, but it only supports files up to 512 MB, so I use WinRAR to pack my FTF with the following options: 'Compression method' = 'store' (since FTF is already compressed), 'Split to volumes, size' = '512 MB'. Of course you can use a different file host and archiver if required. Please note that Google Drive, Dropbox and Box all have bandwidth quotas, so your shared files may be disabled if they are downloaded too much.
  2. Create a new thread on xda-developers forum in 'Xperia ZL General' and include at least the following information:
    - Device
    - Build number
    - Android version
    - Customization version
    - Region
    - Branding
    - Download links
    Here is an example: [STOCK ROM][FTF] Xperia Z (C6603) 10.1.1.A.1.253 Generic BE (Unbranded/Belgium)

If this post was helpful, don't forget to click the 'Thanks' button.

Last edited:

XaviCampos

Jul 22, 2011
Guatemala
HI, i have a question
this procedure does not change the official operator of the band,
because for example in a xperia x10 mini, flash the ftf file from other country, the cellphone show the message input the code for sim unlock

Last edited:

Apollo89

Mar 9, 2013
HI, i have a question
because for example in a xperia x10 mini, flash the ftf file from other country, the cellphone show the message input the code for sim unlock

That's correct. Flashing a different firmware customization does not lock or unlock your phone. SIM lock is inside the Trim Area (TA), which does not get flashed.

Sent from my Xperia Z using Tapatalk

Uan_ar

Jun 21, 2011
Buenos Aires
I already have got the ftf file from my generic 4.2.2 from Argentina. I'm uploading it and then will share it ;) thanks Apollo89

Desde el ZL

Apollo89

Mar 9, 2013
I think he meant the bootloader unlockability, and the earlier post meant the network operator unlocability....

Both the bootloader lock and the network lock settings are stored in the Trim Area (TA) of your phone, which does not get affected by Flashtool. So no, flashing a different firmware customization will not change anything to your bootloader lock or network lock status.

androidmeda

Dec 16, 2010
Manila
Part B, Case A: The downloading window disappears when I disconnect the cable. Doesn't matter whether it's before or after clicking accept. :(

3x4d

Jul 3, 2009
Xperia ZL 4.2.2 - C6502 10.3.1.A.0.244 Generic MY

deleted

Last edited:

virusdunil

Feb 9, 2011
Lac St Jean Quebec
Now i just cant root the zl coz of trying another custom rom...

have c6506

when i try to root it says it doesnt support 2.67 :eek: (with doomlord)

and lost LTE

upgraded with pc companion but have the wrong firmware

im with Rogers ;)

now whats next please ;)

---------- Post added at 07:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 AM ----------

fiewwwwww...

got my phone rooted with Flashtool at first try

now need to put the right firmware in it...:D

Last edited:

Apollo89

Mar 9, 2013
Now i just cant root the zl coz of trying another custom rom...

have c6506

when i try to root it says it doesnt support 2.67 :eek: (with doomlord)

and lost LTE

upgraded with pc companion but have the wrong firmware

im with Rogers ;)

now whats next please ;)

fiewwwwww...

got my phone rooted with Flashtool at first try

now need to put the right firmware in it...:D

1. To root 10.3.1.A.0.244 / 10.3.1.A.2.67 firmware, you need to downgrade your kernel to the one from 10.3.A.0.423, then root your device and upgrade the kernel to the latest version again. See DooMLoRD's guide.

2. If you lost LTE, you probably flashed C6502 firmware. It's recommended to stick with firmware that is made for your phone model (C6506), otherwise you will probably not be able to receive any future updates (due to IMEI/TAC mismatch).

3. You say you 'rooted' with Flashtool? Then you probably clicked the 'BLU' button and unlocked your bootloader, which means that your DRM keys got erased permanently (so no more Mobile BRAVIA Engine 2, MusicID/Gracenote, etc.) and your warranty is now void...

4. To change to a different firmware customization, you can follow this guide, but if you flashed the wrong firmware (for a different phone model), it may not work and you may have to download and flash an FTF for C6506 first. Also, this guide cannot be used if you unlocked your bootloader.

Reactions: xperia_loser

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Part A: changing your customization number to download a different firmware customization (optional)

Requirements:

1. Start BuildProp Editor.
    2. When a Superuser request pops up, tap 'Grant' or 'Allow'.

8i5m.png

3. At the first start, a backup of 'build.prop' will be created automatically, which can be restored in case of any problems.

7bet.png

4. Scroll down to 'ro.semc.version.cust' and tap it.

51zc.png

5. Change the value to the customization number of the firmware you want to download.

skwg.png

6. When asked to reboot, tap 'No'.

m7z.png

7. Tap 'ro.semc.version.cus_revision' and change the value to 'R1A'.

v81c.png

8. When asked to reboot, tap 'Yes'.

Part B: downloading firmware with Sony PC Companion

Requirements:

1. Delete this folder if it already exists:
      - Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sony Mobile\Update Engine\db
      - Windows Vista/7/8: C:\ProgramData\Sony Mobile\Update Engine\db
    2. Start Sony PC Companion.
    • Case A: new software version available

8g3.png

1. Click 'Update'.

2. Click 'Accept'.

n77.png

3. If you only want to download the firmware without updating, disconnect your phone as soon as the "Downloading software..." screen appears.

goyk.png

4. If you disconnected your phone, this window will appear, which you may close. Otherwise your phone software will be updated.

nq2.png
    • Case B: no new software version available

pqp8.png

1. Click 'Your Phone / Tablet is up to date'.

2. Click 'repair my phone / tablet'.

3kr.png

3. Click 'Next'.

p5bc.png

4. Repairing your phone will delete your personal data and settings. If you don't want this, see step 6. Click 'Continue'.

7hq.png

5. Tick the checkbox and click 'Next'.

9f5h.png

6. If you only want to download the firmware without repairing, disconnect your phone as soon as the "Downloading software..." screen appears.

goyk.png

7. If you disconnected your phone, this window will appear, which you may close. Otherwise your phone software will be repaired and your personal data will be lost.

nq2.png

Part C: creating an FTF file with Flashtool

Requirements:
    • Flashtool
    • Firmware files from Sony PC Companion or Sony Update Service (see part B).

1. Start Flashtool or Flashtool64 (for 64-bit Windows).
    2. Click 'Tools' > 'SEUS Decrypt'.

4m7.png

3. Select the 'Source Folder' (copy-pasting this path will not work):
      Move all 'Available files' to 'Files to convert' by selecting them and clicking the right arrow button.
      Click 'Convert'.

c6w.png

4gsd.png

4. Enter the following details:
      - Device: your phone model, e.g. 'C6502', 'C6503' or 'C6506' for Xperia ZL (see 'Settings' > 'About phone' > 'Model number').
      - Branding: can be found in the first columns of these tables by looking up the customization number, e.g. 'Customized US'.
      - Version: the build number of the firmware, e.g. '10.1.1.A.1.307'.
      Move all files from 'folder list' to 'Firmware content' except *.ta files (e.g. simlock.ta, preset1.ta, cust-reset.ta, ...) by selecting them and clicking the right arrow button.
      Click 'Create'.

mh3c.png

5. When you see 'Bundle creation finished', your FTF will be in 'C:\Flashtool\firmwares'. If your combination of device/branding/build is not yet available on xda-developers forum, please be so kind to share it (see part D).

cdfc.png

6. To save about 2 GB of disk space, delete this folder:

Part D: sharing your FTF on xda-developers forum

1. Upload your FTF to a file host. I use Dev-Host for this purpose, but it only supports files up to 512 MB, so I use WinRAR to pack my FTF with the following options: 'Compression method' = 'store' (since FTF is already compressed), 'Split to volumes, size' = '512 MB'. Of course you can use a different file host and archiver if required. Please note that Google Drive, Dropbox and Box all have bandwidth quotas, so your shared files may be disabled if they are downloaded too much.
    2. Create a new thread on xda-developers forum in 'Xperia ZL General' and include at least the following information:
      - Device
      - Build number
      - Android version
      - Customization version
      - Region
      - Branding
      - Download links
      Here is an example: [STOCK ROM][FTF] Xperia Z (C6603) 10.1.1.A.1.253 Generic BE (Unbranded/Belgium)

If this post was helpful, don't forget to click the 'Thanks' button.
    HI, i have a question

That's correct. Flashing a different firmware customization does not lock or unlock your phone. SIM lock is inside the Trim Area (TA), which does not get flashed.

Sent from my Xperia Z using Tapatalk
    I think he meant the bootloader unlockability, and the earlier post meant the network operator unlocability....

Both the bootloader lock and the network lock settings are stored in the Trim Area (TA) of your phone, which does not get affected by Flashtool. So no, flashing a different firmware customization will not change anything to your bootloader lock or network lock status.
    cant find the dp file in
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony Mobile\Update Service\db\13740270\blob_fs

Look under "c:\ProgramData\...". It should be there. (Not under "Program Files" ). If winXP, check for the location as per OP.
    creating an FTF file with Flashtool...answered

hi,

i'm a noob :p ....but i cant creating FTF file because i cant write the "device" name (part C at point 4 "Enter the following details")

because flashtool-0.9.15.0-windows will not let me go on "device" to write that field.
    It remains gray instead of white like the others "branding" and "version".

Where am I wrong ?

Edit:
    Ok i find myself the answer: Duble click on device field !!:good:

p.s.Great guide, thank you very much !!!
    Only (if I can afford a suggestion) that you should specify in the point 3-4 of part C you need to go in the "tools" to find "bundler"

Sorry for my primitive :D english