[ROOT][FIRMWARE][BOOTLOADER][RECOVERY] RCA Viking Pro (RCT6303W87DK) One Stop Shop!

Search This thread

smartmanvartan

May 30, 2012
Montreal

I am not responsible for anything that happens in your life. Including what happens as result of following steps in this thread.

Hello all. After a long journey here, we figured a new thread would be in order for new comers not to have to read through fifty pages of information. Here you will find firmware to fix or update your Viking Pro. You will also find root methods, bootloader unlock and custom recoveries for this tablet. Lets start with ROOT...

Method 1: Kingroot. Kingroot works on this device. you can find it here. It's pretty straight forward, just download and install the apk and root.

Method 1.5: SuperSu. Kingroot works but it's not the best root out there. once you have root, follow the instructions here and Kingroot will be replaced with SuperSu.

Method 2: Su flash-able ZIP. This method requires you to follow steps in posts No. 3 and 4. Once you have custom recovery installed, You can flash This.
This method is a bit redundant. However, it does allow you to make a completely stock unooted backup of your rom before making any changes.

Check out posts 2, 3, 4 & 5 for the good stuff.

I'm gonna go ahead and thank everyone responsible and If I forgot to mention you, please don't hesitate to tell me and I will correct the situation:
@Bogram (Edited the bootloader so it could be unlocked on x.12.x versions)
@Jacube22 (Duplicated the method from Bogram to make the bootloader on x.9.x versions unlockable)
@vampirefo (Compiled a compatible CWM recovery for us)
@ewilley2008 (Found most of the firmware)
@mayzemay (Initial root thread)
@NepoRood
@jerryvail35
@Sir Jaxxy
@Snigglez
@Spartan Legionnaire
@bobl61
@csla
@Chainfire (For root)

Last edited:

smartmanvartan

May 30, 2012
Montreal
FIRMWARE

There are two main branches of development for this tablet. It is very important to know which one you have because they are incompatible with each other. I personally bricked my first one with firmware from a x.9.x while mine is x.12.x. How do you check? Simple. In your build number, you can find it in "About tablet" in Settings or in the text at the top of the recovery screen. It's at the end of the number and it will look like 1.12.30, 10.12.20, 2.12.20, 1.9.1, 1.9.5, 10.9.1...etc The number in the middle is the important one.

Steps(Windows): For step 2 you will have five seconds. Preloader mode is only active for five seconds. So read first!
1- Extract the drivers to the destktop and open the device manager.
2- Plug your tablet in as such: turn off the tablet. Plug a male to male USB wire from the computer to the USB port on the tablet. now plug the power wire into the tablet. now very quickly in the device manager locate the new device and right click on it. select "update driver software" then select "browse my computer for driver software" and "browse". Now navigate to the driver folder, select the "CDC" folder and click on "OK" the "Next". The driver should install at this point. Once that is done, unplug the power cable from the tablet.
3- Extract the firmware and the sp flash tools to your desktop.
4- Start the sp flash tools and where it says scatter file loading click and navigate to the folder where you have the firmware and load the scatter file. You will see the firmware get loaded and a checksum check.
5- Once that is done, uncheck the preloader from the list and click on the download button.
6- Plug the power cable into your tablet. At this point the sp flash tool will load the firmware into the tablet. DO NOT UNPLUG ANYTHING UNTIL THE SP FLASH TOOLS SHOWS YOU A GREEN CHECK MARK TO INDICATE THAT IT IS DONE OR YOUR TABLET COULD BE HARD BRICKED AND UNREPAIRABLE.
7- Press the reset button and turn it on. Done!

Drivers: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz4bOoJ_E5XzRWJCbGFINndmVmc/view?usp=sharing

SP Flash tools: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz4bOoJ_E5Xzb0g3ZnlEcHE0bEE/view?usp=sharing

Firmware x.9.x:
RCT6303W87DK-ANDROID5.0-V37-V10.9.21-NFC-V2.3LA-20150820
RCT6303W87DK-ANDROID5.0-V32-1.9.1-20150409

Do not flash the preloader for the Surf1001 versions!!

Firrmware x.12.x:
RCT6303W87DK-ANDROID5.0-V77-V1.12.50-EMMC-user-Kingston-V6.1_20160316
RCT6303W87DK-ANDROID5.0-V70-V1.12.30-B-EMMC-user-Kingston-V6.1_20160121
SURF1001-ANDROID5.0-V11-V7.15.0_T8515B_V6.3_SAMSUNG2G_20151116 (Use method No.2 for root)
RCT6303W87DK-ANDROID5.0-V63-V10.12.0_T8515B_V6.3_PCDDR31G_20151106
SURF1001-ANDROID5.0-V07-V7.15.0_T8515B_V6.3_SAMSUNG2G_20151016
RCT6503W87DK-ANDROID5.0-V66-V20.12.20-B-Camera-2M_PCDDR_V6.3-20150928
RCT6303W87DK-ANDROID5.0-V63-V2.12.20-B-EMMC-user-Kingston-V6.1_20150811

Sources:
http://laurentiumihet.ro/technology/...test-versions/
http://www.needrom.com/download/mtk-...er-v5-1453-03/
http://pan.baidu.com/share/home?uk=2...ategory/type=0
http://baiduyun.57fx.cn/so-result.ht...7DK&type=share
And Google of course...

Last edited:

smartmanvartan

May 30, 2012
Montreal
Bootloader

So the bootloader on this tablet is locked. To unlock the bootloader, in a perfect world, you would usually boot the tablet in fastboot and type the command "fastboot oem unlock" and then follow the instructions on the screen. However RCA did not code in the volume keys in fastboot mode so it was impossible to unlock the bootloader that way. So our friend Bogram edited the bootloader and now the volume keys are not needed. What swell guy eh?

Unlocking your phone’s bootloader completely wipes (formats) your Android phone’s internal memory including applications, contacts, SMS and MMS messages etc.

So what you need is a scatter file like this one and a patched bootloader like these: x.12.x or x.9.x .
You will also need ADB & Fastboot and the drivers.
1- Just like in the FIRMWARE section, install drivers and SP Flash Tools.
2- Open SP Flash Tools and load the scatter file and in the line where you see "uboot" on the right click in the blank field and a window will pop up. select the patched bootloader. Make sure it checked and click on the "Download" button.
3- Now plug the male to male USB cable and then plug in the power. SP flash tool will flash the bootloader and then show you a nice little green check mark.
4- At this point you need to unpack the adb folder from the RAR file and place it in the root of you hard drive(C: ) then open a command prompt and nvigate to you adb folder (cd c:\adb) and leave it there for just a second.
5- On your tablet unplug the power wire, hit the reset button in the back and boot it into recovery mode by pressing and holding the volume up and power buttons together until the RCA splash screen comes up then release them.
6- In recovery, use the volume keys to navigate to "reboot to bootloader" and use the power button to select.
7- At this point your tablet will be in fastboot and your computer should detect it and install the driver. If not, the driver is in the "Android" folder in the driver files you extracted.
8- In your command prompt you left opened earlier, type "fastboot oem unlock".
9-Your tablet will do some magic, summon a demon, banish it to the depths of hell, reboot a couple of times and then it will have a unlocked bootloader.
10- Done. now you ca move on the next post and flash recovery.

Bogram also created a tool that patches the bootloader automatically should you have a different version we don't know about or what not...

Code:
RCA LittleKernel Unlock Patcher
By Bogram (http://xdaforums.com/member.php?u=7182821)
Tested models:
RCA Viking Pro (RCT6303W87DK), RCA Maven Pro (RCT6213W87DK)
USE THIS TOOL AT YOUR OWN RISK, NO WARRANTY IS PROVIDED.
License: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.html
Input file:
W:/HaxeToolkit/projects/patcher/lk.bin
Wrote to:
W:/HaxeToolkit/projects/patcher/lk_patched.bin
Press any key to exit.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz4bOoJ_E5XzSnJ2R3d2NkxlU0k/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:

smartmanvartan

May 30, 2012
Montreal
RECOVERY

This section depends on a unlocked bootloader. If you did not unlock your bootloader in the previous post, do so before continuing to this one.
So what you need is a scatter file like this one and a recovery.

CWM + Carliv compiled by vampirefo: (x.9.x)Clockworkmod recovery (x.12.x)Clockworkmod recovery
TWRP V3.00 compiled by Neporood: (x.9.x)TWRP V3.00 recovery (x.12.x)TWRP V3.00 recovery(Coming soon)

- Open SP Flash tool and select the scatter file.
- in the recovery line, on the right side in the blank field, click and select your downloaded recovery.
- Click on the download button.
- Make sure your tablet is off, plug the USB cable first and then the power cable.
- SP Flash tool will flash the recovery and show you a lovely green check mark.
- Once that is done your recovery will be flashed.

** The stock system has a file in the system folder called "recovery-from-boot.p". this file flashes stock recovery randomly at boot so with a rooted system, navigate to the folder with a root capable explorer and delete the file so that your new recovery stays there.

** When rebooting from recovery, cwm will tell you to fix root. Don't. Select no every time.

For thos of you who want a file explorer in recovery, You can download this Aroma installer flashable
It's a nice tool to have...

Aroma comes from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1646108

Last edited:

Synman

Recognized Developer
woot ... just in time as I brought my Viking Pro home from Wallyworld Saturday night.

Any thoughts on ADB? I couldn't make it all the way through the other thread and eventually just gave up.... ended up figuring out Kingroot on my own and then just enabled ADB over wifi. Would much rather have a wired ADB solution as moving an APK (I'm a developer, duh) over wifi can be somewhat s-l-o-w.

thevypr

May 4, 2014
thevypr.com
Any plans to make a thread like this for the RCA Maven Pro (RCT6213W87DK)? It'd be really swell.

EDIT: Actually, with those sources you posted, I actually might be able to do this on my own.

Last edited:
Reactions: wesley-pierce

NepoRood

Recognized Contributor / Retired Forum Moderator
Any plans to make a thread like this for the RCA Maven Pro (RCT6213W87DK)? It'd be really swell.

EDIT: Actually, with those sources you posted, I actually might be able to do this on my own.

I've got a Maven, and I've already done the porting. I'll be posting a guide tomorrow morning sometime. For now, I've sent you a PM with links to the firmware. Check your firmware version, mine is V36-1.9.21 (as long as you have the "9", you should be ok) The zip file has everything in it, preloader, scatter, custom recovery, etc...

Maven Guide is up, find it here

Last edited:

smartmanvartan

May 30, 2012
Montreal
woot ... just in time as I brought my Viking Pro home from Wallyworld Saturday night.

Any thoughts on ADB? I couldn't make it all the way through the other thread and eventually just gave up.... ended up figuring out Kingroot on my own and then just enabled ADB over wifi. Would much rather have a wired ADB solution as moving an APK (I'm a developer, duh) over wifi can be somewhat s-l-o-w.

Still working on adb... Trying to make a flashable ROM with the fixes... No timeframe tho..

Synman

Recognized Developer
Still working on adb... Trying to make a flashable ROM with the fixes... No timeframe tho..
I can't get the port(s) to light up under OSX. I've tried a couple build.prop changes, plugging in micro usb, usb type a, power connector, and various combinations but none of them appear to trigger registration of a usb device of any kind on the host machine.

I can't even get simple stuff like MTP to work.

smartmanvartan

May 30, 2012
Montreal
I can't get the port(s) to light up under OSX. I've tried a couple build.prop changes, plugging in micro usb, usb type a, power connector, and various combinations but none of them appear to trigger registration of a usb device of any kind on the host machine.

I can't even get simple stuff like MTP to work.

Time is my issue but I'm looking at two things. there is a firmware package i found on the Chinese server for a tablet with the model number rct6603w47dk with the same board as the viking pro but with a 8163 instead of the 8127. i think its doable to port over to our tablet. it is android 6. also the maven pro(rct6213w87dk) which is really close to our tablet with the same board but a larger screen, has adb working on it...

NepoRood

Recognized Contributor / Retired Forum Moderator
i get nothing when sniffing the USB bus on my MBP.

I does the same thing on Ubuntu 14.04, absolutely nothing shows with "lsusb" in the terminal, unless it's in fastboot mode. You can use fastboot to flash the device, if you don't have access to a Windows machine...

e923

May 12, 2013
memphis
What's the difference between sp_drive_v2.0_finally & mtk_sp_drivers_v2.0
Because I got the sp_drive install but having a problem with the mtk_sp , it keep popping up as incompatible software.... I'm stuck on the boot loader section

smartmanvartan

May 30, 2012
Montreal
What's the difference between sp_drive_v2.0_finally & mtk_sp_drivers_v2.0
Because I got the sp_drive install but having a problem with the mtk_sp , it keep popping up as incompatible software.... I'm stuck on the boot loader section

What version of Windows are you running..the difference is the drivers are signed or unsigned.. This matters more on newer versions of Windows.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I am not responsible for anything that happens in your life. Including what happens as result of following steps in this thread.

Hello all. After a long journey here, we figured a new thread would be in order for new comers not to have to read through fifty pages of information. Here you will find firmware to fix or update your Viking Pro. You will also find root methods, bootloader unlock and custom recoveries for this tablet. Lets start with ROOT...

Method 1: Kingroot. Kingroot works on this device. you can find it here. It's pretty straight forward, just download and install the apk and root.

Method 1.5: SuperSu. Kingroot works but it's not the best root out there. once you have root, follow the instructions here and Kingroot will be replaced with SuperSu.

Method 2: Su flash-able ZIP. This method requires you to follow steps in posts No. 3 and 4. Once you have custom recovery installed, You can flash This.
    This method is a bit redundant. However, it does allow you to make a completely stock unooted backup of your rom before making any changes.

Check out posts 2, 3, 4 & 5 for the good stuff.

I'm gonna go ahead and thank everyone responsible and If I forgot to mention you, please don't hesitate to tell me and I will correct the situation:
    @Bogram (Edited the bootloader so it could be unlocked on x.12.x versions)
    @Jacube22 (Duplicated the method from Bogram to make the bootloader on x.9.x versions unlockable)
    @vampirefo (Compiled a compatible CWM recovery for us)
    @ewilley2008 (Found most of the firmware)
    @mayzemay (Initial root thread)
    @NepoRood
    @jerryvail35
    @Sir Jaxxy
    @Snigglez
    @Spartan Legionnaire
    @bobl61
    @csla
    @Chainfire (For root)
    FIRMWARE

There are two main branches of development for this tablet. It is very important to know which one you have because they are incompatible with each other. I personally bricked my first one with firmware from a x.9.x while mine is x.12.x. How do you check? Simple. In your build number, you can find it in "About tablet" in Settings or in the text at the top of the recovery screen. It's at the end of the number and it will look like 1.12.30, 10.12.20, 2.12.20, 1.9.1, 1.9.5, 10.9.1...etc The number in the middle is the important one.

Steps(Windows): For step 2 you will have five seconds. Preloader mode is only active for five seconds. So read first!
    1- Extract the drivers to the destktop and open the device manager.
    2- Plug your tablet in as such: turn off the tablet. Plug a male to male USB wire from the computer to the USB port on the tablet. now plug the power wire into the tablet. now very quickly in the device manager locate the new device and right click on it. select "update driver software" then select "browse my computer for driver software" and "browse". Now navigate to the driver folder, select the "CDC" folder and click on "OK" the "Next". The driver should install at this point. Once that is done, unplug the power cable from the tablet.
    3- Extract the firmware and the sp flash tools to your desktop.
    4- Start the sp flash tools and where it says scatter file loading click and navigate to the folder where you have the firmware and load the scatter file. You will see the firmware get loaded and a checksum check.
    5- Once that is done, uncheck the preloader from the list and click on the download button.
    6- Plug the power cable into your tablet. At this point the sp flash tool will load the firmware into the tablet. DO NOT UNPLUG ANYTHING UNTIL THE SP FLASH TOOLS SHOWS YOU A GREEN CHECK MARK TO INDICATE THAT IT IS DONE OR YOUR TABLET COULD BE HARD BRICKED AND UNREPAIRABLE.
    7- Press the reset button and turn it on. Done!

Drivers: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz4bOoJ_E5XzRWJCbGFINndmVmc/view?usp=sharing

SP Flash tools: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz4bOoJ_E5Xzb0g3ZnlEcHE0bEE/view?usp=sharing

Firmware x.9.x:
    RCT6303W87DK-ANDROID5.0-V37-V10.9.21-NFC-V2.3LA-20150820
    RCT6303W87DK-ANDROID5.0-V32-1.9.1-20150409

Do not flash the preloader for the Surf1001 versions!!

Firrmware x.12.x:
    RCT6303W87DK-ANDROID5.0-V77-V1.12.50-EMMC-user-Kingston-V6.1_20160316
    RCT6303W87DK-ANDROID5.0-V70-V1.12.30-B-EMMC-user-Kingston-V6.1_20160121
    SURF1001-ANDROID5.0-V11-V7.15.0_T8515B_V6.3_SAMSUNG2G_20151116 (Use method No.2 for root)
    RCT6303W87DK-ANDROID5.0-V63-V10.12.0_T8515B_V6.3_PCDDR31G_20151106
    SURF1001-ANDROID5.0-V07-V7.15.0_T8515B_V6.3_SAMSUNG2G_20151016
    RCT6503W87DK-ANDROID5.0-V66-V20.12.20-B-Camera-2M_PCDDR_V6.3-20150928
    RCT6303W87DK-ANDROID5.0-V63-V2.12.20-B-EMMC-user-Kingston-V6.1_20150811

Sources:
    http://laurentiumihet.ro/technology/...test-versions/
    http://www.needrom.com/download/mtk-...er-v5-1453-03/
    http://pan.baidu.com/share/home?uk=2...ategory/type=0
    http://baiduyun.57fx.cn/so-result.ht...7DK&type=share
    And Google of course...
    Bootloader

So the bootloader on this tablet is locked. To unlock the bootloader, in a perfect world, you would usually boot the tablet in fastboot and type the command "fastboot oem unlock" and then follow the instructions on the screen. However RCA did not code in the volume keys in fastboot mode so it was impossible to unlock the bootloader that way. So our friend Bogram edited the bootloader and now the volume keys are not needed. What swell guy eh?

Unlocking your phone’s bootloader completely wipes (formats) your Android phone’s internal memory including applications, contacts, SMS and MMS messages etc.

So what you need is a scatter file like this one and a patched bootloader like these: x.12.x or x.9.x .
    You will also need ADB & Fastboot and the drivers.
    1- Just like in the FIRMWARE section, install drivers and SP Flash Tools.
    2- Open SP Flash Tools and load the scatter file and in the line where you see "uboot" on the right click in the blank field and a window will pop up. select the patched bootloader. Make sure it checked and click on the "Download" button.
    3- Now plug the male to male USB cable and then plug in the power. SP flash tool will flash the bootloader and then show you a nice little green check mark.
    4- At this point you need to unpack the adb folder from the RAR file and place it in the root of you hard drive(C: ) then open a command prompt and nvigate to you adb folder (cd c:\adb) and leave it there for just a second.
    5- On your tablet unplug the power wire, hit the reset button in the back and boot it into recovery mode by pressing and holding the volume up and power buttons together until the RCA splash screen comes up then release them.
    6- In recovery, use the volume keys to navigate to "reboot to bootloader" and use the power button to select.
    7- At this point your tablet will be in fastboot and your computer should detect it and install the driver. If not, the driver is in the "Android" folder in the driver files you extracted.
    8- In your command prompt you left opened earlier, type "fastboot oem unlock".
    9-Your tablet will do some magic, summon a demon, banish it to the depths of hell, reboot a couple of times and then it will have a unlocked bootloader.
    10- Done. now you ca move on the next post and flash recovery.

Bogram also created a tool that patches the bootloader automatically should you have a different version we don't know about or what not...

Code:
    RCA LittleKernel Unlock Patcher
    By Bogram (http://xdaforums.com/member.php?u=7182821)
    Tested models:
    RCA Viking Pro (RCT6303W87DK), RCA Maven Pro (RCT6213W87DK)
    USE THIS TOOL AT YOUR OWN RISK, NO WARRANTY IS PROVIDED.
    License: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.html
    Input file:
    W:/HaxeToolkit/projects/patcher/lk.bin
    Wrote to:
    W:/HaxeToolkit/projects/patcher/lk_patched.bin
    Press any key to exit.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz4bOoJ_E5XzSnJ2R3d2NkxlU0k/view?usp=sharing
    RECOVERY

This section depends on a unlocked bootloader. If you did not unlock your bootloader in the previous post, do so before continuing to this one.
    So what you need is a scatter file like this one and a recovery.

CWM + Carliv compiled by vampirefo: (x.9.x)Clockworkmod recovery (x.12.x)Clockworkmod recovery
    TWRP V3.00 compiled by Neporood: (x.9.x)TWRP V3.00 recovery (x.12.x)TWRP V3.00 recovery(Coming soon)

- Open SP Flash tool and select the scatter file.
    - in the recovery line, on the right side in the blank field, click and select your downloaded recovery.
    - Click on the download button.
    - Make sure your tablet is off, plug the USB cable first and then the power cable.
    - SP Flash tool will flash the recovery and show you a lovely green check mark.
    - Once that is done your recovery will be flashed.

** The stock system has a file in the system folder called "recovery-from-boot.p". this file flashes stock recovery randomly at boot so with a rooted system, navigate to the folder with a root capable explorer and delete the file so that your new recovery stays there.

** When rebooting from recovery, cwm will tell you to fix root. Don't. Select no every time.

For thos of you who want a file explorer in recovery, You can download this Aroma installer flashable
    It's a nice tool to have...

Aroma comes from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1646108
    For any members who have the RCA Viking Pro (RCT6303W87M7), this is a direct link to the latest official firmware, Android 6.0 Marshmallow. This firmware can be installed using the SP Flash Tool.
    https://mega.nz/#!9UFlhIRA!BpPreRJN0xAyIL0RjelXqQcE0nwHp0WvsYCf6udHudA
    Very handy for restoring both soft and hard bricked devices, or for simply reverting to a stock factory state. I'll be writing up a restoration thread soon with complete instructions and links for the requisite tools and drivers.
    For members of this model that want root, simply push this patched boot image with the SP Flash Tool. Upon reboot you'll have systemless root via Magisk v20.3-stable.
    https://mega.nz/#!JdV3QAJa!rtFgNmxoppBvpz5i27UpCRMyx90WADlkSPXAXAijHAk Until I get a stable TWRP build ported, decrypting /data would need to be done manually via editing the fstab file. Even then, the /userdata partition would need to be formatted to disable encryption.