FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE][Using loop devices to workaround corrupt eMMC partitions]

390 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,643

By topprospect, Senior Member on 11th June 2012, 06:47 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Introduction

This workaround is for those of us (may only be me at this point?) who have bricked your Skyrocket by formatting a partition in an ICS-based kernel. This is where the kernel performed an MMC ERASE command and due to a bug in the eMMC firmware, the wear leveling data was corrupted.

The result is that accessing the affected section of eMMC causes the device to lock up. If we could find a way to avoid accessing those areas, the device might be usable again.

To further complicate matters, it seems that writing to the eMMC causes the problem to move around--probably because the eMMC tries to update the wear leveling data. As a result, any workaround needs to assume that no portion of the eMMC can be used for writable scratch space. That means it can't be used for /data, /cache, /tombstone, or "internal sd".

In this workaround, I create image files for the data, cache, and tombstone partitions on the external SD card. Then I modify the ramdisk to use the loop devices to mount these images as /data, /cache and /tombstone. The result is a bootable system.

The system obviously runs slower, but it is definitely tolerable. Usually the delay is noticed when opening an app for the first time. Another downside is that the "internal sd card" is gone and the "external sd card" is not USB mass storage mountable (since loop files are on it and therefore cannot be unmounted).

Thanks to seedub for the brainstorming session where we came up with this approach. I appreciate his Linux-fu.

Identifying If Important Partitions Work

On Skyrocket, for this workaround to be successful, we need at least the first 24 partitions to be okay. A few tests you should run:
  • Can you boot into download mode?
  • Can you boot into recovery mode?
  • In recovery, run "adb shell dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0pX of=/dev/null" where X is 1-24. Do these all complete without error?
  • In recovery, can you install a ROM zip (e.g. CM9) without the device rebooting? (This is to test whether you can write to /system)

If the answer is "yes" to ALL of the questions above, then you are a candidate for this workaround.

Btw, always pull the battery and remove the USB cable before starting the above tests. Once the eMMC is locked up, it needs to be power cycled before it works again.

Creating The Image Files

You will need 1.5GB free. You can adjust the size of the data image to your liking. Boot into recovery and run the following commands in an "adb shell":

Code:
# Create an area on your SD card for the image files
mount /sdcard
cd /sdcard
mkdir emmc_workaround
cd emmc_workaround

# Create the data image file (1 GB - normally on /dev/block/mmcblk0p25)
dd if=/dev/zero of=/sdcard/emmc_workaround/data.img bs=1024 count=1048576
busybox losetup /dev/block/loop0 /sdcard/emmc_workaround/data.img
mkfs.ext4 -m 1 /dev/block/loop0
busybox losetup -d /dev/block/loop0

# Create the cache image file (297 MB - normally on /dev/block/mmcblk0p26)
dd if=/dev/zero of=/sdcard/emmc_workaround/cache.img bs=1024 count=304128
busybox losetup /dev/block/loop1 /sdcard/emmc_workaround/cache.img
mkfs.ext4 -m 1 /dev/block/loop1
busybox losetup -d /dev/block/loop1

# Create the tombstone image file (64 MB - normally on /dev/block/mmcblk0p27)
dd if=/dev/zero of=/sdcard/emmc_workaround/tombstone.img bs=1024 count=65536
busybox losetup /dev/block/loop2 /sdcard/emmc_workaround/tombstone.img
mkfs.ext4 -m 1 /dev/block/loop2
busybox losetup -d /dev/block/loop2

umount /sdcard

Modifying a ROM

We have to modify the ROM to make this work. With a lot of effort you might be able to modify a stock ROM, but I would recommend only modifying a built-from-source ROM. I used CM9 since, well, I am most familiar with it.

Here is the outline of the changes:
  • Disable the internal SD card on partition 28
  • Make the external SD card non-removable and disable USB mass storage for it
  • Rework the init scripts to mount the external SD card, attach the images to loop devices, and mount /cache, /data and /tombstone on their new loop devices

Apply patch #0001 (which is attached) to the device/samsung/skyrocket tree of CM9. See these build instructions: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...82&postcount=3

Apply path #0002 if you want to move /cache to tmpfs instead of an image file. I'm still experimenting with this one.

Possible Improvements

I'm sure there are some ways to speed things up. I'll add to this list as we come up with more ideas.
  • Use smaller image files
  • Put /cache into a ramdisk -- probably would increase responsiveness a great deal (see patch #0002)
  • Repartition external SD card instead of using image files
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to topprospect For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift topprospect Ad-Free
11th June 2012, 09:41 PM |#2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag bolton, on
Thanks Meter: 4,151

Donate to Me
More
so if some1 had a true brick where device can not turn on, this method still wont unbrick it
12th June 2012, 03:04 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 234

More
Mr. Top, you, sir, are a genius. Hopefully this will help us move forward with a possible unbrickable mod.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using XDA
The Following User Says Thank You to iandr0idos For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift iandr0idos Ad-Free
12th June 2012, 03:07 AM |#4  
Flag West Milford, NJ
Thanks Meter: 392

Donate to Me
More
Idea, What about cloning the whole emmc card boot partition and all to a microsd
12th June 2012, 03:43 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Atlanta, GA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincom

so if some1 had a true brick where device can not turn on, this method still wont unbrick it

Yup. This is only for the Emmc lockup bug where it affects the data partitions,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topprospect For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift topprospect Ad-Free
12th June 2012, 03:44 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Atlanta, GA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsooley

Idea, What about cloning the whole emmc card boot partition and all to a microsd

That would definitely work if the boot partition of the Emmc was intact. I think partition #8. I don't know of a way to redirect the base kernel boot until it starts executing the init scripts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to topprospect For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift topprospect Ad-Free
12th June 2012, 05:21 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 129

More
In theory wouldn't you just have to change the memory address that the phone goes to when it first boots so it never looks at the original boot partition?

13th June 2012, 01:04 AM |#8  
Flag Flintstone
Thanks Meter: 469

Donate to Me
More
Could you tell me what exactly causes this. So i can avoid it.

im currently on skyics latest leak with clock work mod touch recovery

i just would like to know what not to do. thanks
13th June 2012, 01:40 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpmullan

In theory wouldn't you just have to change the memory address that the phone goes to when it first boots so it never looks at the original boot partition?

the memory address the pc points to on first boot/after resets is implemented in hardware iirc,,, bootstrapping etc.
27th February 2016, 09:33 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Is there a way to unbrick this device without a JTAG using only the EMMC program? My answer to all the questions in this post is NO, my device does not turn ON at all but when I plug it into the computer, it shows on the Device Manager under COM7 port. I have installed the Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008 driver and it appears in EMMC software as in Download mode. I've searched on the internet and I cannot find a solution that is not using JTAG. Thanks for answering.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)