[MOD] Data Service Governer Killer - Updated with How To:

Search This thread

daktah

Jun 17, 2010
this was already in the g2 / dz forums
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=863923

edit- also dont replace any critical files while android is actually running, ie anything in /system/framework, as it tends to not like it when you touch its insides while its awake, so you have to put it under anesthesia.
in other words, flash it in recovery lol.

Last edited:

1Brite1

Jun 17, 2010
Is there a list of which roms this actually will work on? I have tried it on several, i.e.; Sacs HD both versions, Myn's RLS beta 5, Salvage, several versions of the EVO official versions. On Myn's, I get the bootloops. On the others, it seems to go thru, but I end up on the "Brite" screen of white with the Htc/Evo logo but it never goes any further.
I have a Sprint tower about 300 feet from my house with no 4G. I know for a fact that they cap as my speeds will range from usually 100-500kbps....and will dribble down to about 5-7kbps when downloading roms. I usually download after I go to bed as it takes 7-8 hours just to download a new rom. It gets very frustrating to find out it lost connection and I have to start again, even using a download manager. I use about 20-45GB a month of usage and it is only for downloading roms, apps, updates, youtube, pandora...no movie or torrent usage.
When I had the Sprint Instinct, they actually were getting after me for using more than 5GB per month even though I was on the actual "real unlimited plan" before they changed it to "unlimited plan" of 5GB. Finally, they said they would let me out of my contract 1 year early without EFT if I just opted to end contract and renew under the "new" plan. I was so mad with all of the hassle after 21 years with them, I went with Verizon.....and then saw that the EVO had real unlimited with 3G or 4G. So, I paid an EFT to Verizon. But, my speeds are verrrryy slooooow. So, yes, they can and do cap on 3G. 4G they say not yet as not enough people are utilizing it yet. So, I need this to work to see if it will help from the dribbling of bandwidth.

dangerruss

Jul 11, 2010
Clear which is sprints 4g provider throttles. especially if the towers are overloaded. I'm pretty sure they start throttling at 8gb. Engadget wrote an article on it not very long ago.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

Jbcarrera

Oct 18, 2010
Winter Garden
Hey BT i know you said in the op that this will work on any rom but the new framework is sending things in to a bootloop can we get this updated plz

mattykinsx

Jul 7, 2010
Is there a list of which roms this actually will work on?

OP says he will be creating a list.

The problem is this type of a file is usually ROM specific.
If you have flashed anything that modifies this file in any manner or if the Dev of the ROM you're using modifies this file, at all, then you're likely to receive boot loops.
OP said that the file post is for Myn's Rls 4 so it likely won't work on any other ROM.

With that all being said it seems like the Evo is NOT subject to this sort of Govenering.
As evidence by the multiple 30 GB / month users that can attest to it.

I feel inclined to point out that the amounts that you people suggest you use are the exact reasons why mobile providers are going to completely change the structure of their internet plans. [And I assure you it will be done server side]
There are four people on my plan.
Evo, Epic, Pre and Pro Touch 2.
Everyone uses their phones a lot, I use probably the most and we probably, all together use 2 GB a month. Likely much less.

I can understand using more once in a while...but 30 gb or more a month every month?
I'm sorry but that's clear abuse.
Why don't you guys just go sit outside Dan Hesse's house with signs that say "please get rid of unlimited internet" because that's exactly what you're doing.

It would be different if you purchase a mobile card and use that much data on that because that's what they're for.
The unlimited data for your phone is meant just for that...your phone.

Last edited:

deathsled

Aug 20, 2010
Raleigh, NC
there's nothing like a fix for a problem that isn't even there lol (for Sprint users at least). It's amazing how many people are downloading (and reporting problems lol) this after people keep supplying evidence that there is no throttling lol

xlGmanlx

Jul 21, 2010
www.life360.com
Capping and throttling are two seperately different topics. I would be interested what tools folks are using to test the former since I would be interested too

xlGmanlx

Jul 21, 2010
www.life360.com
i am not sure a speed test would show anything concrete as i would imagine this is a month to month if it is in fact implemented and based on you reaching a certain data threshold. again, if you can implement it into your ROM and it doesn't hurt it, might as well...who knows what might happen next week
Lol. I applied this just to see what would happen. No bootloops for me. I make my own rom. Also, doesn't even seem like it did anything. I did a speed test and nothing changed. But, since I didn't receive a bootloop, I'll just leave it how it is. Ho harm done.

xlGmanlx

Jul 21, 2010
www.life360.com
again i would question the tools you used to determine this as folks think cap's and throttling are one and the same. unlimited data is one thing but if your speeds after 5GB is reduced in half i would feel slighted. i would argue a speed test doesn't equate to real testing
Well, if you skimmed the thread, essentially nothing--for sprint users.

far as i can tell... for rooted evo users its a bootloop app.

I'm still kind of confused what this does :confused:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok first things first... I just came to the EVO from the Epic, so I'm gonna join this community now :).

..::..Disclaimer..::..
    You are voluntarily flashing this at your own risk. I can not be held accountable for anything you choose to do on your own. If you try to blame me, I will laugh at you. ....While pointing.

..::..Data Service Governer Killer..::..

1. What does this do?
    This is a modification to the services.jar framework file, that allows you to have an un-throttled internet.

2. Will this make my internet faster?
    Yes and No. This will not "Upgrade" your internet. This only takes the trottle off, so you can download, or play games and not have to worry about it hitting a certain peak and lagging from that point on. It doesn't provide you with a new internet, only a warm fuzzy feeling from knowing you don't have to worry about it capping off.

3. If I flash this, will it break my phone?
    If it did, yours would be the first case I heard of. I've personally flashed it NUMEROUS times.

4. Will this work on any ROM?
    Yes. This is not based off a particular ROM, and can be used with ANY EVO ROM. ALTHOUGH If you're Dev has made changes to the services.jar file, this could wipe those changes out. If you are unsure, send me your services.jar file, and i will look for you. Hopefully, i'll be able to make a download list in a couple days with all the Dev's services.jar files, so you can download that specific one. You can always ask your Dev.

5. Do I have to be rooted?
    Yes. In order to be able to flash this, you are going to need to have root with a custom recovery. I.E. Amon_Ra.

..::..Install Instructions..::..

Simply download, and place on the root of your sdcard. Then go into recovery and flash it as you would a ROM. Done.

..::..Download..::..

Data Service Governer Killer

..::ALTERNATIVELY::..

You can follow this method if you're Services.jar framework is already modified, or if you aren't sure.

1. Download these 2 files:

[fixed link for baksmili- op you can remove this line when u get to it :) ]

2. Create 2 folders on your C: Drive labeled "Smali" and "Baksmali". (This is for easy access to the folders when being cd'd)

3. Place the 2 downloaded files in the C: Drive folders accordingly. (I.E. Smali.jar in "Smali" folder, and Baksmali.jar in "Baksmali" folder.)

4. Using 7zip or WinRAR (or any other zip program) open the services.jar file that you pulled from your phone. Copy the "classes.dex" file and paste it into the "Baksmali" folder.

5. Open your command prompt and type the following:
    • cd C:/Baksmali
    • java -Xmx512M -jar baksmali.jar -o classes/ classes.dex

6. Open the newly created "classes" folder (its inside your Baksmali folder that you should already be in) and navigate through "/com/android/server/". Scroll down till you see the 6 or 7 "Throttle" files. They will be located between "TelephonyRegistry" and "TVCableObserver$1$1". DELETE ONLY THE "THROTTLE" FILES.

7. Back out of the folders until you are in the "Baksmali" folder again. Now open the "Smali" folder you created earlier. Place the "classes" FOLDER in the "Smali" folder.

8. Return to your command prompt and type this:
    • cd C:/Smali
    • java -Xmx512M -jar smali.jar -o classes.dex classes/

9. You should now see a "classes.dex" file in your "Smali" folder. This is the NEW compiled services.jar classes.dex file. Pull up the 7zip or WinRAR file you had open earlier, delete the current classes.dex file from the services.jar, and place the newly compiled one in it's place.

10. Place the services.jar file back into your ROM, and boot up. You are now running Unthrottled.

11. If you do not see the "Throttle" files, don't complain they're not there, your Dev may have already taken them out.

If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a PM.
    sprint doesn't, show proof

I've gotten 2.4mb 3g speed while in the middle of a 30gb month. I don't have 4g

Just for those who were wondering....

proof.jpg

This came DIRECTLY from the sprint store... they had this setup on one of the computers in there, and i figured i'd take a pic and show you guys. For those who doubt the "capping" of data services, here's a little "told ya so" lol :p ...nah but seriously, take from this what you will. If you don't want to ungovern, don't. It's entirely up to you :)
    Can you provide the edits or edit my file individually?

Are you comfortable with decompiling? If not, send your services.jar file my way, i don't mind helping out :).
    Are you comfortable with decompiling? If not, send your services.jar file my way, i don't mind helping out :).
    Why not just release the changes. and what files you made those changes to? then we can edit that jar... I am using the latest cm gingerbread builds. so i wouldn't mind testing it.
    Seems this is an unsafe mod...

I recommend you guys use Zeppelinrox's "3g turbocharger" script... IT WORKS.

It WILL increase your 3g performance. I use the piss out of my 3g data and have never noticed a throttle cap...

This one?
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=15948434&postcount=1127