HTC home or SPB mobile shell?

Search This thread

chocodip

Mar 23, 2005
Hi all, i wanna ask if i should install mobile shell onto my kaiser? really luv the page of mobile shell but heard it drain out the battery and slow down the ram...is that true?

i want something to display my battery % without clicking in as well a clena calender on interface...pls let me know which software provide it.

thks alot!

p.s. the Kaiser really smooth runnign so far + the radio rom really much improved comapre to my previous Trinty.

technillion

Jun 28, 2007
Elgin, Illinois
Yes it's true!

From my experiences, everything you've heard about the SPB shell and other apps (Diary, Weather, etc.) do in fact drain the battery! There is also a noticeable slowdown in performance with these running.

With these installed and enabled on my Task Window, I go from 100% charge down to 60% in about 3 hours. I was obviously tethered to a power plug or car adapter.

I've opted to go with the native HTC Home plugin and will work this weekend to customize the weather, the CUBE, icons, and all the other goodies.

TEC

mlai

Sep 17, 2006
Hi all, i wanna ask if i should install mobile shell onto my kaiser? really luv the page of mobile shell but heard it drain out the battery and slow down the ram...is that true?

i want something to display my battery % without clicking in as well a clena calender on interface...pls let me know which software provide it.

thks alot!

p.s. the Kaiser really smooth runnign so far + the radio rom really much improved comapre to my previous Trinty.

I am in the same boat as you and I was just debating myself on the same thing.......

I had used many SPB software and had SPB MS/Backup/PhoneSuite on my P3600i prior to the Kaiser. But HTC Home gave me substantially similar functionality (except for SBP Backup which I installed on my Kaiser), I am very hesitant in installing SPB software if they are not needed, especially when the Kaiser is so stable without MS/PhoneSuite.......

gogol

May 20, 2005
I use HTC home plugin and the battery life is good.

For battery indicator, I suggest "batti"

http://pda.jasnapaka.com/batti/

It is very light, very small, works well, customizeable :)

For calendar, you may look Calendar+ or TodayAgenda.

Btw, do you use SPB GPRS Monitor as well?

I am considering of using it, but thinking of memory drain.

chocodip

Mar 23, 2005
hey all,

thks for all da infos~~~i think i will keep my HTC instead. Since it's really smooth runnin dun wanna slow down by any softwares.

Kaiser is soooo much improved on speed .......previous i hv problem with mapking R12 (the speed , the reaction.....just so dead slow) now really kickin off!

i m luvin it!~~

ps. For the Batti software....seems it's similar to the preinstall one...anyone?

gogol

May 20, 2005
No, it is not the same :)

Batti gives you "line" indicator at the very top of your sceen.

hey all,

thks for all da infos~~~i think i will keep my HTC instead. Since it's really smooth runnin dun wanna slow down by any softwares.

Kaiser is soooo much improved on speed .......previous i hv problem with mapking R12 (the speed , the reaction.....just so dead slow) now really kickin off!

i m luvin it!~~

ps. For the Batti software....seems it's similar to the preinstall one...anyone?

max3400

Feb 14, 2006
I immediately switched back to Mobile Shell. Don't get me wrong; the default design of WM6 is fine but the clock is way to large and some tabs really bug me (like quick-choice for the sound profiles).

My phones need to have a clean interface so now I'm only running the default install of Mobile Shell, Owner and Calendar. Loads of room on screen to spare for new/cool apps.

danprodan

Nov 4, 2005
London
SPB Shell is the way for me.

My experience is that with HTC Home plug-in battery drained faster than with SBP Shell. I also find Shell easier to use with fingers. An more configurable.

I have cLaunch with large iPhone icones attached to one of the Shell's tabs - works very nice.

gogol

May 20, 2005
Quick question for you Mobile Shell user :)

I like the PHOTO tab in the HTC Home where you can put 9 pictures for speed dial.

And I saw SpB shell can have that too.

But from the screenshot in the website, it displays about 5 pictures ...

Actually, how much can you have with Mobile Shell?

mlai

Sep 17, 2006
Quick question for you Mobile Shell user :)

I like the PHOTO tab in the HTC Home where you can put 9 pictures for speed dial.

And I saw SpB shell can have that too.

But from the screenshot in the website, it displays about 5 pictures ...

Actually, how much can you have with Mobile Shell?

Mobile Shell can have 3-4 contact tabs with 5 contacts each.......

technillion

Jun 28, 2007
Elgin, Illinois
That is interesting...

oh....HTC plugin drain faster the mobile shell? u serious? oh man....wut should i do now....

Yea...I didn't find this to be true at all in my case. The native HTC plugins don't drain my battery at all.

I've now removed all SPB apps and am running just the HTC Home plugin. I now got the CUBE to animate so I'm really excited! I'll work on more CUBE and Home plugin customizations.

TEC

ROOSH315

Jul 3, 2007
I love SPB Mobile Shell, I was using it with my original TyTN. However, for some reason, it kept freezing my TyTN II device whenever I key locked it. I also noticed my device was sluggish with it. I am NOT a fan of the HTC Shell one bit. It takes up the whole screen. So, now I use iLauncher for my shortcuts to programs or as my shortcut phone calls to contacts.

I hope SPB Mobile Shell comes out with a new release which corrects many of these issues.

Micro64

Jul 14, 2006
Use Batti for Battery Display ALL THE WAY! (Since Blue Angel...)

I got my TyTN(Hell it is hard to type it right) yesterday and i find the HTC Home application very neat. Compared to SPB Shell, I think i will use the HTC Home and forget about installing the resource exhaustive SPB applications(not too bad but still)

SPB Shell needs some refining before i will consider it again.

Jason Lee

Feb 10, 2006
I used Mobile shell on my 8125. Loved it. but i find that everything i used it for is now built in to my TyTN II. Weather, photo speed dial, program shortcuts, time, phone ringer settings switching.. There is no need for the now screen with the HTC home plugin.. I did use spb menu but now that my new device actually has a start menu button this really isn't needed any more either. So i saved myself a ton of ram and skipped on Mobile shell.

I did install diary though. It is still the best calendar today plugin for me. I disabled all the tabs except the calendar tab and have it setting just bellow HTC home.. works well. And you know what? it is actaully very fast and doesn't use very much ram if you disable all the tabs :D