This guide is designed for those who find it hard to (or are too lazy to) search the forum for information on how to dump a ROM. This is specifically for the X1.
Some common sense and knowledge of computers and pocket pc's is required. I followed below steps myself to dump a ROM and dumping it worked flawlessly.
Update: The ROM I dumped has been tested and reported working perfectly!
EDIT: For those looking only for a stock ROm to dump with: Rapidshare
--- Special thanks to ---
Fards - Much of the below tutorial.
hungarian - The registry fix in step 2.
m@rco - UK generic ROM link.
Itje - Kovskykitchen.
And the guys who made XDA Utils!
--- Guide ---
1) Download and preparation of files
A good preparation makes it much easier, download the following files:
X1 (Kovsky) Kitchen
Stock UK ROM
- Extract Kovskykitchen to C:\KovskyKitchen and in Vista make sure that buildos+package_tools is able to run as administrator.
- Extract the XDA tools to an easy to access folder, for instance c:\Xdatools
2) Preparing your phone:
Before your X1 will allow the dumping to be done, the following Sdkcerts.cab file must be installed.
- Copy Sdkcerts.cab to your phone or storage card and install it to the device.
Also, your phone must accept changes that pdocread makes. You can do this with the regedit function of the FdcSoft Taskmanager.
- Set the following registry keys to "1":
* HKLM\Security\Policies\Policies "00001001"
* HKLM\Security\Policies\Policies "0000101a"
- Connect your phone to your pc with activesync.
- Open up a command line and navigate to the folder where you extracted the XDAtools.
- Enter the following command: "pdocread.exe -l"
You'll get something like this:
| 3.12M (0x31f000) Part00
| 3.50M (0x380000) Part01
| 69.38M (0x4560000) Part02
| 134.38M (0x8660000) Part03
The bits in brackets are the important ones as you need to use what it says on YOUR device in the next step.
Run the following commands one at a time. Replace the codes (.e.g 0x31f000) with the codes you get in step 3.
Extracting these files can take some time, do not disconnect your device until the command line sais it's done.
pdocread -w -d FLASHDR -b 0x800 -p Part00 0 0x31f000 Part00.raw
pdocread -w -d FLASHDR -b 0x800 -p Part01 0 0x380000 Part01.raw
pdocread -w -d FLASHDR -b 0x800 -p Part02 0 0x4560000 Part02.raw
pdocread -w -d FLASHDR -b 0x800 -p Part03 0 0x8660000 Part03.raw
The files will end up in the XDAtools folder.
5) Kovksy kitchen
- Open your Kovskykitchen folder.
- Copy your 4 raw files to the "baserom" folder.
- From the stock UK ROM extract the RUU_signed.nbh to Baserom folder as well.
There are decent walkthroughs for cooking roms, this kitchen is built on the Kaiser Kitchen.
If you want more info, search for "kaiser kitchen" on XDA.
- Start kovskykitchen.cmd
- Select (e) extract a rom, then (b) and let it work through.
When it's finshed it'll go back to the main menu.
- Now select (c) cook a rom, then (b)
It'll start up the buildOS + Package tools program.
- Select the buildos tab.
- Select "load rom" and navigate to your kovskykitchen folder.
- Press ok.
After a couple of seconds the green "go" arrow will light up press it.
It'll do lots and may come back with an imgfs error, but this doesn't seem to matter.
- When it's done close the window.
Back in the CMD window it'll be waiting for a keypress.
When pressed a lot of files will be processed.
Finally it'll popup with some info for the HTC rom tool.
- Click BUILD!
- Select Kovsky from the dropdown box.
- Press the 3 little dots ... next to the box that says OS.
- Select the OS-NEW.nb in the main kovsky kitchen folder.
Press BUILD! at the bottom, and give the file a sensible name, RUU_signed.nbh if you want to flash it from windows, Kovsimg.nbh if you want to flash it from microSD card.
- Close the htc_rom_tool when it's done.
It'll popup a hexeditor to change the Pagepool.
An error might occur that it can't find the nbh file.
- Close the hexeditor.
The command line will clean up the temporary files and allows you to flash your ROM.
If you just want to back up the rom of your device then close this window.