FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Tutorial] How to back up your ROM - A comprehensive guide.

1,306 posts
Thanks Meter: 10
 
By Angelusz, Senior Member on 24th December 2008, 12:46 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
8th June 2009, 12:28 AM |#131  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Question Noob question
I have a question.

Why someone should go into backing up his own rom instead downloading the current rom that he/she is using and then install that rom ?

Sorry if that question has already been answered but i didn't notice it somewhere else!

Thanks in advance

Edit: Ok my bad, i must change my prescription glasses !!! it was one of the stickies, the answer is: in case the rom isn't available for download. But if there is another reason please feel free to contribute
 
 
16th June 2009, 12:50 AM |#132  
Member
Flag Hamburg
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
thank you, worked 100%!
18th June 2009, 10:54 AM |#133  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Problem with Process
Hi All,

My first post. Seems to be a trivial error. I know this has been mentioned before.

I am running through the backup procedure outlined in http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=462926. Sticky is above.

Steps that I am having probelm with:

- Now select (c) cook a rom, then (b)

It'll start up the buildOS + Package tools program.

- Select the buildos tab.
- Select "load rom" and navigate to your kovskykitchen folder.
- Press ok.


I get this exception when running the Package Tools after select the kovskykitchen folder.

As I understand it is the image file that does not contain it. I have downloaded the UK Generic as per the post and also from another loaction to make sure it wasn't corrupt.

I also downloaded a Touch-it Rom and the SEX1 ROM to try them also.

Still no dice. All help appreciated.

Thanks
19th June 2009, 07:20 AM |#134  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
In reply to my own Post.

Humble Pie aplenty being eaten over here. All you can eat.

Below is what I should have done:

- Start kovskykitchen.cmd
- Select (e) extract a rom, then (b) and let it work through.

Then:

When it's finshed it'll go back to the main menu.

- Now select © cook a rom, then (b)

Missed the vital first part of that and just jumped to the Now select c to cook a rom etc. I post this in hope that someone else learns from my mistake. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS LINE BY LINE.

Thought I learnt that when I started programming
21st June 2009, 01:33 PM |#135  
Angelusz's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Nijmegen
Thanks Meter: 10
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hispeed_mike

In reply to my own Post.

Humble Pie aplenty being eaten over here. All you can eat.

Below is what I should have done:

- Start kovskykitchen.cmd
- Select (e) extract a rom, then (b) and let it work through.

Then:

When it's finshed it'll go back to the main menu.

- Now select © cook a rom, then (b)

Missed the vital first part of that and just jumped to the Now select c to cook a rom etc. I post this in hope that someone else learns from my mistake. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS LINE BY LINE.

Thought I learnt that when I started programming

Mmmm... humblepie!
30th June 2009, 10:40 PM |#136  
Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
how to make this step?
ok, I did te reading thru the posts and still can not get it:

1) if I will back up my ROM with the file "RUU_signed.nbh" will it still be my ROM or the ROM of that file?
I am asking because after hard reset I am having already (without installing) automapa - the GPS program. and some other stuff. does it matters? is it like that my ROM is modyfited in some way already?

2) "- From the stock UK ROM extract the RUU_signed.nbh to Baserom folder as well."

HOW to make this step??? the ROM after unpacking are in .image format - APP_SW_X1i_GENERIC_UK_CDF1215-1832_KOV_R1AA017.image . so what should I do now??

I can use the one that is in the links at the beginning - but what ROM is that? Now I have this one:

ROM VErsion : 1.02.931.3
ROM date : 08/29/08
Radio version : 1.06.25.29
Protocol version : 52.43.25.24U


Customer info:
Software Id : 1213-6450
Software version : R1AA017
Custom ID : 1215-1832
Custom Ver : R15A
Custom Var : Generic_UK



please help me - I would like to back up the ROM now and install the updated one during night so tomorrow I would have a fresh one..

thanks very much in advance !!

P.S. sorry if that are lame questions, but it I am yet not good in PDA, and that is my first time when I am actually doing anything with ROM..
1st July 2009, 02:53 AM |#137  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
2) "- From the stock UK ROM extract the RUU_signed.nbh to Baserom folder as well."

For that step I downloaded the UK ROM from the links in the start of the post. Then opened the RUU_Signed.zip file (downloaded), inside the archive is a file "ruu_signed.nbh". Extract the ruu_signed.nbh into the BaseROM folder in the KovskyKitchen folder.

The guide is very detailed and straightforward. I just followed it step by step and have only owned my SE X1 (I had Symbian OS phones before now) for 4 days and I managed to extract my ROM fine on first attempt.

Thanks to the people that made this guide. Very well written and very detailed and it is much appreciated from a nuub like myself
1st July 2009, 07:18 AM |#138  
Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
yes, I know that. do not think that You've read my questions carefully.. :P I was asking which ROM will be if I will use the file from zip package. and some other stuff

and yeap - the tutor is rly great!! it just could not be easier!
but still - made me wondering about those 2 stuff
1st July 2009, 09:30 PM |#139  
Angelusz's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Nijmegen
Thanks Meter: 10
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayyhem84

yes, I know that. do not think that You've read my questions carefully.. :P I was asking which ROM will be if I will use the file from zip package. and some other stuff

and yeap - the tutor is rly great!! it just could not be easier!
but still - made me wondering about those 2 stuff

Your first questions can be answered by reading the first post better.
On the second, the ROM you need to download is used by the kitchen to reconstruct the ROM you will extract. So, you will end up with your own ROM, not the one you download.
1st July 2009, 11:13 PM |#140  
Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelusz

Your first questions can be answered by reading the first post better.
On the second, the ROM you need to download is used by the kitchen to reconstruct the ROM you will extract. So, you will end up with your own ROM, not the one you download.

thank You very much for the reply! and making my wonders clear actually I did read the first post couple of times, and even after your reply and reading it again I can not get the answer from it..
maybe it is too soon to go for ROM experiments for me... ? probably yes. so till now I will just stick to update the ROM - when I will learn more about kitchen and other stuff then will return to experiments

thank You again for making those wonders clear!! i can now update without any doubts of loosing my ROM! thanks again!

and really BIG, BIG appreciate for that thread! U are great! perfect work!
5th July 2009, 10:22 PM |#141  
Angelusz's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Nijmegen
Thanks Meter: 10
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayyhem84

thank You very much for the reply! and making my wonders clear actually I did read the first post couple of times, and even after your reply and reading it again I can not get the answer from it..
maybe it is too soon to go for ROM experiments for me... ? probably yes. so till now I will just stick to update the ROM - when I will learn more about kitchen and other stuff then will return to experiments

thank You again for making those wonders clear!! i can now update without any doubts of loosing my ROM! thanks again!

and really BIG, BIG appreciate for that thread! U are great! perfect work!

Thanks for the kind words. You're welcome.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes