Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Search This thread

Notorious544d

Aug 18, 2011
London
Wow, can't wait. Coming in October? I doubt that as Nexus phones always come out just before Christmas. But the earlier the better :p

Notorious544d

Aug 18, 2011
London
It's a shame it has to come with Pentile matrix though :( It will ruin the 'Retina' display (as 720p within 4.5" screen is 326ppi) as it won't truly be 'retina.'

moelester518

May 8, 2009
Don't really read C-net that much so I don't know how credible they are. Either way I hope it's true and comes out in early October.

msavic6

Jun 28, 2010
Vancouver
Looks like im going to be waiting for the nexus prime successor. I will never buy a Samsung device.

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA Premium App

phewizzo

Aug 29, 2007
New York City
Im tired of HTC and their touchscreen problems, my friend has a mytouch 4G and has the same ecactly touchscreen problems the Nexus One has, HTC is losing to Samsung big time, and Google goes to Samsung because they make mostly their own parts and makes really good phones. Cry about the plasticy feels of phones all you want, all phones will break after a drop from a decent height, I cant wait for this phone to come out!

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a
It's a shame it has to come with Pentile matrix though :( It will ruin the 'Retina' display (as 720p within 4.5" screen is 326ppi) as it won't truly be 'retina.'

I suppose, but it should be pointed out that the PenTile fringing pattern is much less distinguishable at a higher resolution. The Atrix at 275 ppi uses PenTile, but you really have to inspect it a lot more closely than a N1 or NS to see.

4.5 **** that is way to big i hope thats not true

I agree but only sort-of. The 4.5" size of a Hercules or Infuse, I think that would be too big for me. But if the murmurs of a button-free Ice Cream Sandwich OS are true, then the screen can take up more of the phone's body. So we could get an Infuse-size screen with 720p resolution, but a phone no bigger than the SGSII. Maybe even smaller.

efrant

Retired Senior Moderator & Developers Relations
Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20
[snip]
Cry about the plasticy feels of phones all you want, all phones will break after a drop from a decent height, I cant wait for this phone to come out!
For some of us, it's not about metal being more durable than plastic, it's about the look/feel of metal vs. plastic. I don't like the look and feel of plastic, and I would even pay a hefty premium for the exact same phone if it was in metal (vs plastic).

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA Premium App

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a
Actually now that I'm thinking it through more, the Nexus Prime screen couldn't possibly be the same dimensions as the Infuse, because of the aspect ratio difference. So imagine the SGS2 (4.3" 800x480, 1.667, 3.687x2.212") with the buttons gone, and the screen elongated an extra 0.235" into that space (4.5" 1280x720, 1.778, 3.922x2.206"). So not as massive as feared.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

firas1886

Dec 19, 2010
I just hope it has a LED notification light.... and a flash light on the back...

as for samsung's build quality, they have been doing some awesome stuff lately(Phones, Laptops, TVs) and with Cyanogen on their team, it's gonna be interesting!

phewizzo

Aug 29, 2007
New York City
As seen from the up in coming Samsung devices, Nexus Prime screen size is gonna be 4.65 inches.

http://m.bgr.com/2011/08/18/samsungs-next-android-windows-phone-and-bada-devices-leaked/

Last edited:

Deliamber

May 26, 2010
Portland, OR
4.5 **** that is way to big i hope thats not true
Seriously. I love the size and structure of my N1. I've messed around with larger screen devices like the Evo, and they feel both unwieldy and less solid.

Really, I'd be thrilled to have something exactly like the N1, just with upgraded CPU/SoC (maybe dual core), more RAM and onboard flash, and perhaps a true multitouch screen. Ok, and maybe a re-worked power button. But really, that's all I want.

I don't need 3D, a huge screen I can't fit easily in pockets, gimmicky curved glass, or 7G radios that only last 90 minutes. I just want the N1, updated.

There's so much they got right with the N1 IMHO, it's hard for me to find something that I'd be willing to replace it with yet.

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App

bcpk

Feb 11, 2010
Actually now that I'm thinking it through more, the Nexus Prime screen couldn't possibly be the same dimensions as the Infuse, because of the aspect ratio difference. So imagine the SGS2 (4.3" 800x480, 1.667, 3.687x2.212") with the buttons gone, and the screen elongated an extra 0.235" into that space (4.5" 1280x720, 1.778, 3.922x2.206"). So not as massive as feared.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

It will probably be around the same size as the HTC Sensation. Although it has a 4.3" screen, because it is 16:9 it feels much smaller than the SGS2.

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a
It will probably be around the same size as the HTC Sensation. Although it has a 4.3" screen, because it is 16:9 it feels much smaller than the SGS2.

Right, but since the rumoured Nexus Prime is (I stand corrected now) 4.65" and also 16:9, it'll have to be 8% wider than the Sensation - but not necessarily taller due to removal of the buttons. Although some of that width could also come from slimming down the bezel even further, if at all possible.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    :(

htc gps > samsung gps
    Samsung Super AMOLED HD > HTC S-LCD :p
    i think you totally missed the point of my post. who cares if the sgs2 benchmarks faster than most or all phones. the atrix gets better battery life. it's fast enough for most people. yes amoled has it quirks. so does lcd technology. and we're talking about a mobile device here. it's not like getting the family together on friday night to watch the latest blockbuster on 4.3 inch screen. and you're such a fanboy you missed that i pointed out how much i like amoled. you remind me of the "simple" apple fanboys. you're acting like the sgs2 revolutionized something and is the end all be all. die size has a lot to do with mobile technology. who cares if it's the thinnest. it's a big battery gulping gpu. i'd be more impressed if it was 45nm or smaller. and might've made me consider the sgs2 more seriously. i am considering get atnt's sgs2 variant if it doesn't have hw keyboard. but i am keeping my options open. i prefer moto, but i also like htc because they put everybody else's customer service to shame. also, neon was a reason i was considering the sgs2. it helps a lot with video. but hey. it's ok. corporations like people like you.

I like how you keep focusing on ad hominem attacks instead of actually providing a strong and solid argument.

Originally Posted by pukemon >
    "i'd rather moto build it, it be s-lcd, 2000mah battery, hw accelerated, better quality 5 mp camera, hdmi out and full support of led notifications like the nexus."

It's not hard to miss what you meant in your post. You didn't write much and it's clearly misinformed opinion. I mentioned why your opinion would not be the best choices for a 3rd generation Nexus phone.

You never mentioned the Atrix so nice job adding something else later. "Fast enough for most people" is not what Google wants for their developer phone; it's supposed to be the top of the Android heap, not just 'good enough.' The Atrix does not get better battery life and I proved it with the screenshot of someone's actual battery life rundown. You probably didn't even look at it or analyze it because apparently I'm such a fanboy that my concrete evidence doesn't matter. Take a close look at the link and notice that the 3g radio was on the entire time, wifi was turned on and off sporadically and GPS was off and it lasted 5 days and 10 hours and 30 minutes. It's not about which display has its quirks. It's about which display is overall better. I didn't miss the part where you said you like SAMOLED, I just didn't need to focus on it because apparently you still believed that Google should allow an inferior screen to go on their flagship device. People were saying that it won't matter when screen go higher resolution than 320x240 yet look at where we are now? Phone resolutions will climb higher and higher. Why not put the highest resolution on the Nexus? I'm not acting like the SGS2 revolutionized something. I'm just saying it has the best of everything. Read the reviews by experts and they'll say it's most likely the best phone ever (so far).

"For a handset with such a broad range of standout features and specs, the Galaxy S II is remarkably easy to summarize. It's the best Android smartphone yet, but more importantly, it might well be the best smartphone, period. "
    From Ross Rubin from Engadget.
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/21/switched-on-the-webos-triangle/

What does the die size matter when it is already the fastest smartphone with the best battery life? The reasons that die size matter are negligible in this case because it is the best at the moment.

You keep focusing on calling me "fanboy," "simple," & "corporations like people like you." I'll continue crushing you with strong arguments backed by evidence.
    Seems like this thread should concentrate on the Nexus Prime and not every other phone.

Any new info out there? I am truly excited about this phone and hope it comes to T-Mobile with Bands for ATT LTE as well.

What are the chances?
    I am really curious about the styling. I remember how good the Sensation looked (from pictures - I still haven't seen one in person). I haven't been too impressed with the styling from Samsung on the other phones I have seen, but maybe they will change it up a bit. I also really, really hope that they put a micro sd slot on the phone. I think that was a major oversight on the NS. I would also love to have the LED notification (bonus points if it has a trackball), but that won't be a deal breaker for me.
    Well, October is coming....

Does anybody know anything about its sound chip?

Will it be the Yamaha like in the sgs2, or a Wolfson as in the sgs (much superior) ?

Or even better?

And.... what about the gps chipset? Will it have something like that VERY good one - SirfstarIV as in the sgs2 or again a crappy one like in the sgs?

Maybe its too early to know, but if somebody eventually finds out something, please send me a short pm with links and stuff...

Thankls

«»