[ROM][KERNEL][RECOVERY][12.02.2011] GeeWiz 1.2 ED05 - RETIRED

Search This thread

Ronio777

May 21, 2009
Middle TN
apply patch

ROM updated to v1.1.1 via a CWM-flashable patch file. Nothing Earth-shattering, just making good on the promise to hide the most popular launchers from the Task Manager and update the core applications to the latest revisions while I was in there.

Download link to 1.1.1 PATCH in the first post, if anyone's still interested :D

(djp952)

Loaded the main rom up and love it. Thanks for the time you've put into this.
NOOB question: What is the process to apply just this patch? Do I reboot into recovery and do a wipe just like I did for the base ROM?

atomD21

Apr 16, 2011
Ohio
Loaded the main rom up and love it. Thanks for the time you've put into this.
NOOB question: What is the process to apply just this patch? Do I reboot into recovery and do a wipe just like I did for the base ROM?

Pretty much. Just wipe cache and install the zip. Part of the install is wiping the dalvik, so that saves you a step.

djp952

Jan 12, 2010
Baltimore
OMG will wonders never cease ... djp952 actually updated the Froyo GeeWiz!! Of course, he did it the same day Samsung released Gingerbread for everyone, but it's the thought that counts, right? :rolleyes:

GeeWiz 1.2 is essentially just a refresh of 1.1.1. I've updated all the default applications to the latest versions, corrected a bug in the Desk Cradle, matched the default application list with the latest GeeWiz GB ROM (Flash is gone since v11 is problematic, Google+ and Google Music are in), and tweaked a couple other things here and there, but overall the experience will be almost identical to v1.1.1. I've also added a couple new "extras" that I've been maintaining for the Gingerbread GeeWiz: an extra to restore the Samsung Widgets as well as one to restore the TAT Live Wallpapers. The Swype and Stock Battery Meter extras have been refreshed as well. All extras are listed at the end of the first post in this thread.

I've also included the original Froyo-based version of GeeWiz Recovery (see first few posts) for the first time publicly, and provided the same expanded set of EDIFY/ODIN files as I have been on the last couple Gingerbread releases.

Given that the EH03 Gingerbread ROM has become official for all Fascinates, this is likely to be the last hurrah for the original GeeWiz. I can't thank everyone here enough for all the feedback and patience I've received since starting this project back in August. I know I wasn't able to address everything for everyone, but overall I am proud of the project and very glad that I was able to make at least a few other people happy along the way!! ;)

GEEWIZ 1.2

- Remove Adobe Flash Player; must be downloaded from Android Market
- Update BusyBox (ROM/KERNEL/RECOVERY) to v1.19.3
- Update Android Market to v3.3.11
- Update Google Maps to v6.0.0
- Update Google Books to v1.4.6
- Update YouTube to v2.3.4
- Update Gmail to v2.3.5.2
- Update Superuser to v3.0.7
- Update su binary to v3.0.3
- Add sqlite v3.6.22
- Add Google Music v4.0.9
- Add Google+ v2.1.1.219805
- Add Google Maps Street View v1.7.1.0
- [MOD] SettingsProvider: Set default transition animation speed to Fast (50%)
- [MOD] DeskCradle: Set search button to launch Google Search instead of Bing
- [MOD] MusicPlayer: Remove "Download music from V Cast?" message when no media available
- [MOD] AxT9IME: Disable keypress sound from Samsung Keypad

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    GeeWiz 1.2 Froyo ROM/Kernel/Recovery - RETIRED

This ROM/Kernel/Recovery is retired -- No further updates will be made to it however I am always willing to provide as much support as I can, please feel free to PM me or continue to post to this thread

GINGERBREAD GEEWIZ HERE: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1278838

Background
    My goal was to build a ROM that would be suitable for my non-technical and glitch-intolerant wife to use on her phone. Something solid and basic that modifies only what needed to be modified to clean up the bloated and Binged out device Samsung gave us, while keeping TouchWiz and all of it's enhanced stock applications (other than the wild color palette, they aren't that bad).

I've also included an ED05-based kernel with the ROM. It follows the same principals as the ROM; has what it needs to be useful but keeps things pretty much stock. I've tried to enhance the performance of the device a bit without taking any measures like overclocking or under-volting it, killed off Verizon's ability to monitor your wifi tethering from third-party tethering apps, added Supercurio's amazing Voodoo Sound to it, added a couple little personal tweaks of my own here and there, and the end result has been something that matches the ROM concept very well.

The feedback I've received on this ROM/Kernel has been overwhelmingly positive, and I thank everyone for not only giving it a try but for also taking the time to let me know what you think of it. The nature of the ROM/Kernel doesn't lend itself to frequent updates, but I will do my best to keep it updated with the latest and greatest built-in stuff for you and apply anything new I learn that would be of value ...

Credits
    ccampos784 ... taught me how to deodex properly, hooked me up with a GPS fix, let me use his update.zip as a template and for his advice/help through the final stages of this project. Also the author of the excellent PW-OTB Fusion Kernel, which I highly recommend
    untermensch ... posted a fabulous tutorial on how to add options to the pop-up power button menu
    ChainsDD ... what would we do without Superuser.apk ?
    boombuler ... AppWidgetPicker
    sbrissen ... Accurate Battery Meter modification graphics
    supercurio ... Voodoo Sound
    the nameless others that posted their experiences on the Internet for me to learn from

> I recommend you flash your device back to stock ED05 before installing this ROM/Kernel. Neither component has been tested on a device that has been modified far from stock. If you need ED05, please refer to pentafive's post here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1178544)

> Installing this ROM/Kernel/Recovery will void your device's warranty, and I cannot be held responsible for any damages of any kind (including data loss) that are incurred either directly or indirectly by this ROM/Kernel. What you do to your device is your problem.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>> DOWNLOADS <<

EDIFY Update-Zip (ClockworkMod / GeeWiz Recovery) Compatible Downloads

GeeWiz 1.2 ROM+Kernel (EDIFY Update-Zip)
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/e32auc51pta312l/geewiz-1.2-rom-12022011.zip
    MD5: 8865f2f51e890089d47881cc99ceab0c

GeeWiz 1.2 Kernel Only (EDIFY Update-Zip)
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/e1b57c1allllru1/geewiz-1.2-kernel-12022011.zip
    MD5: 11c1d30905def8b87105c6ef4b3ae980

GeeWiz 1.2 Recovery Only (EDIFY Update-Zip)
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/pzngeepbxplmpf1/geewiz-1.2-recovery-12022011.zip
    MD5: 9c3273f05cb77dd7668e73bc1e6e6f34

ODIN Compatible Downloads

GeeWiz 1.2 ROM/Kernel/Modem/Recovery/Data Wipe Full Update (ODIN)
    WARNING: This will delete all user data from your device, replace your RECOVERY with GeeWiz Recovery as well as replace your modem with the ED05 revision.
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/et5cby6jc227jva/geewiz-1.2-fullwipe-12022011.tar.md5
    MD5: 03d748210f03b5d87d4a423fd729be50

GeeWiz 1.2 ROM+Kernel Only (ODIN)
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/x3699bl4d8zwqu1/geewiz-1.2-rom-12022011.tar.md5
    MD5: e218ebe81f0e514e9659dbff00cb9fe7

GeeWiz 1.2 Kernel Only (ODIN)
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/7qs33ry2eptjtou/geewiz-1.2-kernel-12022011.tar.md5
    MD5: b540edfe40dfb264b00b54f7731daf87

GeeWiz 1.2 Recovery Only (ODIN)
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/5g5aujtu4uclu9s/geewiz-1.2-recovery-12022011.tar.md5
    MD5: ea5f9c0b54f770ef3d397358df55488c

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GeeWiz ROM 1.2
    Base: SCH-I500 ED05
    - Deodexed; debloated
    - busybox 1.19.3 (Denys Vlasenko/djp952)
    - sqlite 3.6.22
    - SuperUser 3.0.7 (ChainsDD)
    - su binary 3.0.3 (ChainsDD)
    - AppWidgetPicker 1.2.3 (boombuler)
    - Android AOSP SpareParts 2.2.2
    - Google+ 2.1.1.219805
    - Google Books 1.4.6
    - Google Maps 6.0.0
    - Google Maps Street View 1.7.1.0
    - Google Market 3.3.11
    - Google Music 4.0.9
    - Google Search 1.1.2.64376
    - Google Voice Search 2.1.4
    - Gmail 2.3.5.2
    - Samsung Keypad v2.3.4
    - Samsung Nexus S LiveWallpaper pack
    - YouTube 2.3.4
    - [MOD] De-Binged Browser (djp952)
    - [MOD] De-Binged Car Cradle (djp952)
    - [MOD] De-Binged Desk Cradle (djp952)
    - [MOD] Dialer voicemail button dials voicemail rather than launching VVM (djp952)
    - [MOD] TouchWiz Launcher default application order matches preinstalled apps (djp952)
    - [MOD] Add Reboot and Recovery to power button long-press menu (djp952)
    - [MOD] Default TouchWiz wallpaper defaults to "Nexus" (djp952)
    - [MOD] Disable full battery popup message and notifications (djp952)
    - [MOD] Camera app power button functions as shutter button (djp952)
    - [MOD] Accurate battery meter; graphics courtesy of sbriseen (sbrissen/djp952)
    - [MOD] Google Maps, Magic Smoke Wallpaper and Dual Clock apps are not hidden in Task Manager (djp952)
    - [MOD] Remove keypress sound from Samsung Keypad (djp952)
    - [MOD] Hide popular launchers from Task Manager (djp952)
    - [MOD] Set default Window Transition Animation Speed to Fast (50%) (djp952)
    - [MOD] Remove 'Download Music from V Cast?' message in Music Player when no media exists (djp952)
    - [UPDATE-ZIP] Custom MOUNTVOL tool that allows update to work with both RFS and EXT4 volumes (djp952)
    - [UPDATE-ZIP] Dalvik-Cache automatically cleared after update of SYSTEM
    - [UPDATE-ZIP] Auto-Rotate configuration file automatically deleted after update; prevents screen rotation lock

GeeWiz Kernel 1.2
    Base: SCH-I500 ED05 linux-2.6.32.9
    - Compiled with 2010.09 armeabi toolchain
    - Root shell enabled
    - EXT4 file system support (does not provide you with a way to convert to EXT4, however)
    - GT-I9000 (Rev 2) BCM4329 driver modified to include SoftAP support (djp952)
    - WiFi Hotspot Monitoring completely removed
    - Overwrite of RECOVERY partition during boot removed
    - Custom animationchooser service to support both stock and custom boot animations (djp952)
    - Default I/O scheduler set to DEADLINE
    - Voodoo Sound v10 (supercurio)

(Complete version history below)

Animation Chooser Service
    - The GeeWiz Kernel has a custom service called Animation Chooser that decides at boot time whether to show you the stock VZW animation or a custom boot animation
    - If a custom boot animation is located in /system/media, that will override the stock VZW animation
    - If neither a custom boot animation nor the stock VZW/Samsung animation is found, it will default to a basic "ANDROID" boot animation
    - This service is currently unique to the GeeWiz Kernel, please feel free to ask me any questions you may have about it and how it works

Using other Kernels
    - You should be able to use pretty much any TouchWiz enabled Froyo Kernel out here, Voodoo or not, with this ROM.
    - I left the stock Verizon boot/shutdown animations in place in this ROM, so it should be noted that if you use a different Kernel you may experience an "ANDROID" animation overlaid on the Verizon animation during boot. Otherwise, I haven't had any notable or unexpected issues with combining this ROM with other Kernels.

Known Issues
    - Default applications may be listed out of order in the main app tray. This is due to the TouchWiz Launcher being 'install' before some of the provided applications, which prevents those applications from being laid out properly. To resolve, clear data on the TwLauncher application.

>> EXTRAS <<

GeeWiz 1.2 Samsung Widgets (EDIFY update-zip):
    This update adds back the Samsung widgets removed from the base ROM
    - Compatible with GeeWiz 1.x
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/uferde5e3fkp8b0/geewiz-1.2-samsungwidgets-12022011.zip
    MD5: 28fcbf23c35f20e7f3b7241fb7b1cebf

GeeWiz 1.2 Stock Battery Meter (EDIFY update-zip):
    This update replaces the status bar battery meter with the stock ED05 version
    - Compatible with GeeWiz 1.1-1.2 only
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/27kvn6decrbqpfu/geewiz-1.2-stockbatterymeter-12022011.zip
    MD5: 417d6d12808807ee52ffb9fcf2f78a7a

GeeWiz 1.2 Swype Keyboard (EDIFY update-zip):
    This update adds back the Swype keyboard removed from the base ROM
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/z8drzxran02grxd/geewiz-1.2-swype-12022011.zip
    MD5: d3f08394ece32713a5a02c1a0aad2641

GeeWiz 1.2 TAT Live Wallpapers (EDIFY update-zip):
    This update adds back the 'TAT' Live Wallpapers removed from the base ROM
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/n40chgmwy3d81gt/geewiz-1.2-tatwallpapers-12022011.zip
    MD5: a0856845e7f1a2c6c435cbfe425577c5
    GeeWiz Froyo Recovery

NOTE: This Froyo-based recovery has a known issue with ADB. More often than not, when recovery launches ADB will not be available. Remove the USB cable from the device, and select Tools/Restart ADBD Service from the Recovery menu (I typically do it twice for good measure). Wait a couple seconds and reconnect the USB cable. This should allow ADB to connect.

Background
    GeeWiz Recovery is the project I started working on back in the day before trying to get into ROMs at all. I wanted to learn some of the ins and outs of Android/Linux development, but am also one of those annoying "non-Java" guys. Playing around with Kernels and ultimately a Recovery system was a much more comfortable fit for me.

Like all things I seem to try to do, it doesn't have extreme ambitions for cool new things never seen before, it's just supposed to do what it claims to do and do those things well. When compared with something like ClockworkMod, for example, it is a rather limited toolset. That said, I think it also can suit the needs of most folks that are just looking for a tool that will allow them to install updates, create and restore volume backups, properly wipe their devices, or convert from the RFS filesystem to EXT4 (so far anyway!)

GeeWiz Recovery is based on the Android AOSP 2.3.5 (not 2.2.2) Recovery code and is not a derivative work of any other recovery. Many features are undeniably common, and I would be lying if I claimed I didn't need to look at projects like ClockworkMOD for assistance on more than one occasion. GeeWiz recovery is specifically written for the STOCK Samsung SCH-I500 (Fascinate/Mesmerize) device and cannot be properly used on any other devices without modifications. This tool also cannot be properly used on SCH-I500 devices that have been converted to "MTD" (CyangoenMOD, MIUI, etc).

>> NAVIGATION <<

VOLUME UP: Move menu item selection bar up
    VOLUME DOWN: Move menu item selection bar down
    MENU: Go back to previous menu
    HOME: Go back to main menu
    BACK: Select highlighted menu item
    SEARCH: No operation

>> MENUS <<

MAIN MENU

Install Update Package - Opens an SDCARD file browser and allows you to select an Update-Zip package to be installed to your device
    Wipe Device Data - Shows the Wipe Device Data Menu
    Manage Volumes - Shows the Manage Volumes Menu
    Tools - Shows the Tools Menu
    Exit - Exits recovery and reboots the device

WIPE DEVICE DATA MENU

Wipe Cache - Wipes (formats) the CACHE volume of the device
    Wipe Dalvik Cache - Wipes (deletes) the DALVIK-CACHE from the device. Use this option after flashing any non GeeWiz ROM to your device (GW does it automatically)
    Wipe Battery Statistics - Wipes (deletes) the battery statistics file from the device. Use this option with a fully charged battery to reset your battery meter.
    Wipe all user Data (Factory Reset) - Executes a Factory Reset operation. All user data not on the SDCARD will be deleted, and all data volumes will be formatted. This option will reformat data volumes with either RFS or EXT4, depending on what file system is already in place. To convert file systems, please see MANAGE VOLUMES MENU below.

MANAGE VOLUMES MENU

Mount Volumes - Allows you to specifically mount a device volume by name. This operation is not required for other Recovery operations, they will automatically mount or unmount volumes as needed
    Unmount Volumes - Allows you to specifically unmount a device volume by name. This operation is not required for other Recovery operations, they will automatically mount or unmount volumes as needed
    Backup Volumes - Allows you to generate a backup of a device volume by name. Please see BACKUP/RESTORE below for more details.
    Restore Volumes - Allows you to restore a volume from a backup generated by this Recovery. Please see BACKUP/RESTORE below for more details.
    Convert Volumes - Allows you to convert device volumes to and from the RFS and EXT4 file systems. Volumes with only one valid target file system are not shown in this list.
    Format Volumes - Allows you to format device volumes with either the RFS or EXT4 file systems. Volumes with more than one valid target file system will prompt with an additional selector to allow you to choose the desired file system.

TOOLS MENU

Restart ADBD Service - Restarts the Android Debug Bridge (ADBD) service. Select this option if you are having difficulty connecting to the device through ADB while Recovery is running

>> BACKUP/RESTORE <<

This version of GeeWiz Recovery allows you to back up and restore the individual volumes of the device to the SDCARD, using a handful of different formats. Currently, the destination location of these backups on the SDCARD is fixed as /sdcard/backup/volume and cannot be changed. Future versions of GeeWiz recovery will provide for complete device backup/restore operations.

BACKUP FILE NAMES/FORMATS

When generating a volume backup, you will be prompted to choose from one of four different formats, which are listed below. All backup files will be generated with the filename format of VOLUME-YYYYMMDD[-N].EXT, where VOLUME is the volume name, YYYYMMDD is the current date, -N is an optional unique number used to differentiate between multiple backups made on the same day, and EXT is the default file extension for the selected backup type and compression setting. (Currently compression cannot be disabled)

EXT4 IMAGE [.ximg/.ximg.gz] - This option will generate an EXT4 image of the selected volume. These images can be used to create volume images that can be mounted and manipulated on other Linux systems. The generated image (uncompressed) will be of equal size to the source volume.

EXT4 SPARSE IMAGE [.simg/.szimg] - This option will generate a 'Sparse' EXT4 image of the selected volume. These images are similar to a full EXT4 image, but are only as large as the data on the volume requires. An android tool called simg2img is required to convert these back into a standard EXT4 image before they can be used on other Linux systems. When compression is enabled (.szimg files), a custom tool is required to unpack them into standard EXT4 images; this tool is available upon request, however I did contribute the necessary code changes back to AOSP with the hopes it will someday be included in Android.

RAW DUMP [.img/.img.gz] - This option will create a raw dump image file from the selected volume. If the volume is EXT4, the output is very similar to an uncompressed EXT4 IMAGE. If the volume is RFS, this image becomes an ODIN-compatible dump of the volume.

YAFFS2 IMAGE [.yimg/.yimg.gz] - This option creates a YAFFS2 image file from the selected volume extremely similar to, if not identical to, the backup files made by ClockworkMOD Recovery. These images are used for general-purpose backup and restore needs; they provide the fastest means of backing up and restoring a device volume. GeeWiz Recovery uses this format internally when converting volume file systems to provide the fastest possible conversion.

It is not necessary to know what format was used to generate a backup when it's being restored or if it has been compressed or not. The restore code will automatically determine this, and can successfully restore any format listed above. Backup files generated by other means or recovery systems are not guaranteed to be able to be restored with GeeWiz Recovery.

>> INSTALLATION <<

GeeWiz Recovery can either be installed by flashing it directly with ODIN or if you already have an Edify-compatible custom Recovery like ClockworkMod installed you can use that as well. Install it as you would any flash update with these tools, I wouldn't dream of being able to provide better direction than what already exists out here on the Internet for using them.

Download links for GeeWiz Recovery are included as part of the main post above, and will be maintained/updated in that post.

>> SOURCE CODE <<

All Source Code for GeeWiz recovery is included as part of my SCH-I500 Froyo Kernel GIT. Explanation as to how to compile it or what tools you need to compile are beyond the scope of this post, but please feel free to contact me if you give it a try and run into difficulties.

https://github.com/djp952/sch-i500-froyo

>> REUSE <<

If anyone finds this recovery of value and would like to include it their SCH-I500 ROMs or KERNELs, please feel free to do so. Link back here, include it in your updates, compile your own and change the menu colors to purple, whatever you want to do with it is fine with me. If you want to mention my name, that'd be cool, but is certainly not a requirement of any kind. If I didn't want it to be used, I wouldn't have posted all the source code (so far) to github!!
    Hey, thanks for the props! :eek:

I like it too (of course), but really ... all I think I can honestly take credit for is trying to test as much as I can, trying to keep to my goals in line, and trying to respond to issues as fast as possible. Samsung really deserves most of the credit, the ED05/2.2.2 update was really good once you peel away all the junk they piled on top of it. All I did was make some fortunate and seemingly lucky choices along the way that so happened to create a surprisingly stable little setup :D (You guys probably didn't flash my "1.0", which was a disaster! LOL).

I really appreciate the positive feedback as well. Knowing that there are at least a few folks out there that I was able to make happy for a short time is the type of thing you remember forever. I just hope I can continue to contribute a little something back to this community that I've learned so much from in the past year!
    Just a quick update: Tonight I *finally* got a source-built EH09 kernel to actually boot up and work properly. I had to steal a couple things from a non-current i9000 kernel (apparently Samsung has ripped BML support from all their current Galaxy S GB kernel sources - a rather necessary thing), but it finally booted and appears to work just fine.

I'm trying to baseline that working kernel code into my "source" version and am still meeting some resistance. EXT4 is being especially problematic. I'll get there eventually. Once the build process is stable and repeatable it won't take very long to make a "GeeWiz" kernel out of it, I only change a few things. Modifying the EH09 US Cellular ROM to my liking will probably take quite a bit longer, if ever based on my thoughts of it so far :( Here's hoping the Fascinate gets a more optimized GB drop relatively soon!
    Just flashed 0.3 and now my screen autorotate doesnt work.......wiped both caches and fixed permissions and reflashed and same problem. Flashed back to 0.2 and still no autorotate....what the?
    Well gunna go back to stock and see what happens then try to make it back to 0.3

This was on the CommRom 2.1 thread:

if i recall, to fix any auto rotate issues u had to go into data/system and delete ms3yahama.cfg, toggle rotate and u were gtg

Give it a try.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA App