Giving 5 Nokia Lumia 800 to homebrew devs who need them!

Search This thread

JustinAngel

May 15, 2010
OK folks, Thanks for all the entries! At this point I'm done taking in new entires. Since there are way more than 5 worthy applicants I'll take a few days to mull this over.

I'll post the names of recipients and let them know via PM once I've got a decision. Thank you all!

Happy Holidays,
-- Justin

JustinAngel

May 15, 2010
And the winners are...!

I've decided on who gets the 5 Nokia Lumia 800 phones.

To reiterate, these phones are my own personal property and in no way affiliated with any past or future employers of mine. Since this is me giving away my own property I get to choose the recipients. I looked at overall contribution, specific WP7 home-brewed experience, community recommendations and everything else that could impact my decision. Everyone who applied made a really good case for themselves, and it was a tough decision finding the best suited developers. The recipients are all well known WP7 home-brewed developers. Congratulations!!!

And the recipients are... I'll contact each recipient individually via PM to get their shipping address, contact phone and name. Recipients can also reach out to me at J@JustinAngel.net with those details.

Congratulations!
-- Justin Angel

Last edited:

voluptuary

Dec 29, 2010
Mukwonago
Congrats guys, you all deserve it. I look forward to you guys unlocking all the potential the Lumia 800 has. And thanks Justin for giving them all a phone (even more so since it's a phone I also have :D)

Reactions: mickfarr and fiinix

mickfarr

Dec 6, 2007
Dublin
Thanks Justin for this generous offer you have made as its the WP7 community that will benefit most from the hard work and long hours these guys put in.

We're all winners here :D

Sent from my Lumia 800 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

Reactions: geekaren and fiinix

Heathcliff74

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 1, 2010
I already expressed my gratitude to Justin in a mail. I'm really happy with such a generous gift.

I want to thank Justin and everyone else for their support and I'm anxious to start hacking the NOKIA. I won't forget Samsung and other brands ;)

Ciao,
Heathcliff74

Last edited:

Jaxbot

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 14, 2009
windowsphonehacker.com
I already expressed my gratitude to Justin in a mail. I'm really happy with such a generous gift.

I want to thank Justin and everyone else for their support and I'm anxious to start hacking the NOKIA. I won't forget Samsung and other brands ;)

Ciao,
Heathcliff74

I, of course, second this. I'm really grateful not only to be chosen, but that someone would be generous enough to reach out to the development community and give homebrew an arm it could use.

Thanks to everyone, it's been a good year and here's to some groundbreaking in 2012, which is said to be the year Microsoft really pushes through. Homebrew will be no exception ;)

Cheers, congratulations, and thank you to all ;)
Jaxbot

anseio

Oct 11, 2011
Seattle
Congratulations to the winners!

Thanks, Justin, for your generous giveaway. We're ALL going to benefit from it.

Briefcase

Nov 10, 2009
Thanks Justin for this generous offer you have made as its the WP7 community that will benefit most from the hard work and long hours these guys put in.

We're all winners here :D

Sent from my Lumia 800 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

I completely agree with the above. Thank you very much Justin! :)

GreenLantern24

Dec 8, 2011
Couldn't find a place

Would one of you five(or someone for that matter) either tell me what's been updated in the nokia drive app or post the updated xap? I have it installed on my Titan and love it, but didn't know if I was missing anything major. Thanks to all the Devs for their great work and help.

fiinix

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 9, 2010
Stockholm
Thanks JustinAngel :D
- Everything is perfect in order.

[Left: Omnia 7] [Right: Lumia 800]
attachment.php

Attachments

• NokiaL800.jpg
    NokiaL800.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 105
Reactions: SolBallads

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi folks,

I'm giving away 5 WP7 Nokia Lumia 800 carrier unlocked devices to homebrew devs who need them.

My goal is to give this hardware out to devs who will use it for either:
    • Port existing homebrew apps/features/hacks to Nokia Lumia 800.
    • Create new Nokia Lumia specific homebrew apps/features/hacks.
    • Anything else that you can convince me makes sense.

"I want one of these free phones, what's next?"
    Respond to this forum post with the following information:
    1. What will you use the Nokia Lumia 800 for? The more specific the better. (see the aforementioned list of goals)
    2. Up to 3 links (+ explanation) showing that you have the previous experience required to meet your development goal.
    3. Anything else you think will help you get one of the Lumia 800 phones.

More details and fine print
    • I'm the one giving away phones, not any previous or future employer of mine.
    • I'll choose who gets the phones and I'll do so at my own discretion. I'm under no obligation to anyone about anything. It's mine, my own, my precious.
    • Twitter proof this is a Justin Angel Genuine Offer™ @ https://twitter.com/#!/JustinAngel/status/146662884024385537
    • Picture of the fabled phones @ http://twitpic.com/7r1731 (The 6th phone in this picture is now my personal phone and it's awesome)
    • Recipients of this give-away will be announced on this forum, and via private message asking for contact details.
    • The giveaway ends when submissions have tapered off. At minimum that'll be on 23/12/2011.
    • If giving you a 700$ phone isn't OK under your local laws (e.g. government employees) please don't submit your name.
    • This giveaway is available world-wide. However if you live outside the USA, I'll need to figure out how to ship the phones to you, so it'll take a little longer.
    • My definition of homebrew is "stuff that can't be shipped on the WP7 Marketlpace within the limitations of the current mango application framework".
    • If you can't comment on this forum due to the 10+ minimum posts, you can email your details to me directly at J@JustinAngel.net.

phones.jpg
    And the winners are...!

I've decided on who gets the 5 Nokia Lumia 800 phones.

To reiterate, these phones are my own personal property and in no way affiliated with any past or future employers of mine. Since this is me giving away my own property I get to choose the recipients. I looked at overall contribution, specific WP7 home-brewed experience, community recommendations and everything else that could impact my decision. Everyone who applied made a really good case for themselves, and it was a tough decision finding the best suited developers. The recipients are all well known WP7 home-brewed developers. Congratulations!!!

And the recipients are... I'll contact each recipient individually via PM to get their shipping address, contact phone and name. Recipients can also reach out to me at J@JustinAngel.net with those details.

Congratulations!
    -- Justin Angel
    OK folks, Thanks for all the entries! At this point I'm done taking in new entires. Since there are way more than 5 worthy applicants I'll take a few days to mull this over.

I'll post the names of recipients and let them know via PM once I've got a decision. Thank you all!

Happy Holidays,
    -- Justin
    Hi Justin,

Really cool of you to do this. I appreciate all efforts to boost homebrew-development! And I won't hide that I totally want one of those NOKIA's :p

Even though I don't own a NOKIA Lumia, I already started hacking it (link 1 and link 2). The first thing that is required for most (not all) other hacks to work is Interop Unlock. I would love to continue that work with a hands-on NOKIA device. I also created WP7 Root Tools and I'm working hard to support other brands too. It would be great to add NOKIA to the supported devices. All my apps and hacks have always been free of charge.

I've always been impressed by the new security mechanisms that Microsoft has implemented for WP7. Their policy engine is a great challenge for me. Although I understand their angle on security for most users, I'm interested in unlocking the devices to their full potential for tweakers like us on XDA. I've done quite some research already (link 1, link2 and link 3). But my best is yet to come ;)

Thanks!
    Heathcliff74
    Hi Justin
    I really appreciate what you do for the scene.

What I will use the Nokia for:
    I would like to use the Lumia to search a leak in security
    to allow interop unlock,native,provxml,cab & more.
    i have already check some nokia oem to search a way....

Link to my Contribution to the scene:
    -[ROM] Back to the Future [XBmod-Yuki] [7740]
    -[REF]WP7 Registry tweak
    -Install/Build WP7 .Cab Update packages
    HTC-ProvXml-Deployer
    & more...

what I think will help:
    -i love new challenge & i'm able to work days & night on project like this.
    -i have a lots of free time...
    -my favorite app is my hexeditor :D
    -i've found provxml deployement leak on HTC :p

Thanks, Bye