[RECOVERY] TWRP 2.8.7.0 touch recovery for KFireHD 8.9" [06-24 v2.8.7.0]

Search This thread

MaRkuS_538

Sep 28, 2012
If I wipe data/factory reset, will the internal storage, e.g. my music, be deleted? In other devices not, but don't know how it's in Kindle.

Gesendet von meinem LG-E975 mit Tapatalk

Hashcode

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2011
New build of TWRP 2.7.0.0 is up!

** THIS IS A FLASHABLE .ZIP FILE FOR INSTALLING IN YOUR CURRENT VERSION OF TWRP **

DOWNLOAD:
[ DO NOT DOWNLOAD ANY FILES FROM TEAMWIN'S WEBSITE. IN GENERAL, THEY ARE MEANT TO BE FLASHED TO UNLOCKED DEVICES AND WON'T WORK FOR KINDLE FIRE HD'S ]

You can download from a mirror below and place on your SDCARD:
Mirror 1: Download (Goo.im)
Mirror 2: Download (Crackflashers)
md5sum: 656ed8ed65400079cca86692caa843b0

INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS:

While the ORANGE logo is showing on the screen, press and hold the volume up button till the BLUE logo shows. (This is the button farther away from the power button)

• Select "Install"
  • Navigate to where you placed the file on your device
  • Select the .zip filename
  • Swipe to confirm flash
  • Reboot

NOTES:
  • The graphical improvements are VERY noticeable. The device flies in recovery now.

Donate to TeamWin:
http://www.teamw.in/project/twrp2

small-mallet

Apr 14, 2010
Well, just tried this 2.7 build, everything's pretty good but there is a weird visual glitch. After the blue logo appears, there is a weird brick like screen tearing on the top side of the logo for a few secs. Didnt have this for previous builds. Just seems like a little visual bug.

mr.galaxys

Dec 14, 2010
Well, just tried this 2.7 build, everything's pretty good but there is a weird visual glitch. After the blue logo appears, there is a weird brick like screen tearing on the top side of the logo for a few secs. Didnt have this for previous builds. Just seems like a little visual bug.

yup lil glitch but hash still the man

good work thanks for making my kindle into an android device

Last edited:

Bastlwastl2010

Oct 20, 2012
First i see the glitches think uhhhhh TWRP is broken....
But it seems really only a vusual effect. All other works fine.
Great work Hashcode

Mar 23, 2014
Sao Paulo
I guess that hashcode poked that glitch into the new TWRP to make it a little bit more emotional as it just is before you get also his CM11 Kitkat running on the device. Worked flawlessly, making the TWRP update as well as flashing his CM11. Thanks hash, TWRP 2.7.0.0 and the CM11 runs so fine!! Its amazing!

Send via Tapatalk - HW: Kindl HD 8.9 - SW: Android 4.4.2 KitKat < CM 11.0 HC mod.

Hashcode

Sep 3, 2011
Updated this build to TWRP v2.8.3.0.

Read the OP for the full list of changes with the download link updated near the bottom of #1 post.

NOTES:
- F2FS support (but this obviously will wipe your device's internal storage COMPLETELY when you swap to F2FS)
- MTP mounting when in recovery

Enjoy

Reactions: Duchman and narse

narse

Dec 29, 2009

Read the OP for the full list of changes with the download link updated near the bottom of #1 post.

NOTES:
- F2FS support (but this obviously will wipe your device's internal storage COMPLETELY when you swap to F2FS)

Enjoy

So will this delete everything on the kindle's memory? If so is it be possible to transfer a backup back on to it after to restore? Can this easily be done in TWRP using the mount command?

Hashcode

Sep 3, 2011
So will this delete everything on the kindle's memory? If so is it be possible to transfer a backup back on to it after to restore? Can this easily be done in TWRP using the mount command?

Absolutely. I think this is the prefered method for convertion to F2FS:
1. Make a backup of /data
2. Copy any(all) contents of the "Internal Storage" via MTP and/or adb pull /sdcard
(This would include the "TWRP" directory where the backup is stored)
3. Now you can format/convert the /data partition.
4. After the conversion you *might* want to boot up Android first so that the default directories are all set.
5. Then reboot into recovery, copy the contents back to the /sdcard via adb and/or MTP.
6. And then restore the /data backup.

Let me know how this works for you.

narse

Dec 29, 2009
Absolutely. I think this is the prefered method for convertion to F2FS:
1. Make a backup of /data
2. Copy any(all) contents of the "Internal Storage" via MTP and/or adb pull /sdcard
(This would include the "TWRP" directory where the backup is stored)
3. Now you can format/convert the /data partition.
4. After the conversion you *might* want to boot up Android first so that the default directories are all set.
5. Then reboot into recovery, copy the contents back to the /sdcard via adb and/or MTP.
6. And then restore the /data backup.

Let me know how this works for you.

Did as you suggested and:
1. Backed up Data Partition in Recovery
2. Booted back into the Rom and copied the TWRP folder onto my laptop. I also copied all the other files I wanted to keep.
3. Rebooted back to Recovery and converted the data partition to F2FS.
4. Wouldn't boot into Rom - just sat at the CM12 loading screen.
5. Held down power to power off and went back to Recovery. Formatted Data (Just in case the conversion doesn't format the partition). Still in recovery - connected the usb cable to laptop and Kindle was recognised. copied the TWRP folder containing the backups, and other files back to the new formatted Data partition.
6. Restored the Data partition (there is a warning that the backup was EXT4, but ignored that).
7. Rebooted to Android and all boots up ok. I have checked the /data properties in FX File manager and it is definately F2FS.

all seems to be working ok so far. Seems to be snappy and quick :)

Thanks again for your help and all your hard work on the ROM.

Reactions: Hashcode

Hashcode

Sep 3, 2011
Did as you suggested and:
1. Backed up Data Partition in Recovery
2. Booted back into the Rom and copied the TWRP folder onto my laptop. I also copied all the other files I wanted to keep.
3. Rebooted back to Recovery and converted the data partition to F2FS.
4. Wouldn't boot into Rom - just sat at the CM12 loading screen.
5. Held down power to power off and went back to Recovery. Formatted Data (Just in case the conversion doesn't format the partition). Still in recovery - connected the usb cable to laptop and Kindle was recognised. copied the TWRP folder containing the backups, and other files back to the new formatted Data partition.
6. Restored the Data partition (there is a warning that the backup was EXT4, but ignored that).
7. Rebooted to Android and all boots up ok. I have checked the /data properties in FX File manager and it is definately F2FS.

all seems to be working ok so far. Seems to be snappy and quick :)

Thanks again for your help and all your hard work on the ROM.
Thank you for posting your experience! I'm sure there are others considering the swap.

arctophile

Dec 18, 2006
Melbourne

NOTES:

Enjoy

Anyone else having trouble flashing 2.8.3.0? I get failed zip verification message, even though I've tried several download methods (and MD5 checks out, WinRAR finds no zip errors).

I'm finding my current TWRP (2.7.0.0) also fails to mount USB storage, so it might not be working properly, but then again it just flashed CM12 and Gapps happily, so it can't be too messed up. Hmmmm.

Hashcode

Sep 3, 2011
I can also post .img files for use with fastboot for easier upgrading.

Can you pull /tmp/recovery.log after trying to update? It may have the actual error in it.

EDIT: I just realized.. turn off zip verification when flashing the recovery update. I didn't sign it.

Reactions: rayandreas

BeneX1

Aug 1, 2008
Hello Hashcode,

Goo.im is down, could you please reupp somewhere else? I haven't found any other resources of your newest TWRP 2.8.3.0 version....
Thanks in advance.!

Cheers, Benex1

Last edited:

DatNexus

Jan 25, 2013
Could the OP/someone with the file please upload the TWRP 2.8.3.0 release on a mirror? Goo is dead and probably not coming back anytime soon, sadly. Secondly, does this release require an updated bootloader? I have the second bootloader installed, but did so around late November of 2013. I'm assuming this old of a second bootloader will not work for 2.8.3.0. Is this a correct assumption?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [ THIS POST IS TEAMWIN'S STOCK TWRP POSTING. USE OF THE WORDS "US" AND "OURS" MEANS "DEES_TROY AND TEAMWIN" NOT HASHCODE ]

*** ALL CREDIT FOR TWRP BELONGS TO DEES_TROY AND TEAMWIN. ***
    They do a BANG UP job on making a fantastic customizable touch-based recovery.

SEE BOTTOM OF THIS POST FOR DOWNLOAD / INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS

Donate to TeamWin:
    http://www.teamw.in/project/twrp2

BEFORE YOU FLASH THIS, PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT YOU HAVE A 2ND-BOOTLOADER INSTALLED FROM HERE:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2128175

Team Win Recovery Project 2.x, or twrp2 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. It’s a fully touch driven user interface – no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

Tablet look:

CHANGELOG for 2.8.7.0:

-Initial ground work for software drawn keyboard (_that)
    -Fix handling of wiping internal storage on datamedia devices (xuefer)
    -Allow DataManager to set and read values from the system properties (xuefer)
    -Fix crash when taking screenshots on arm64 devices (xuefer)
    -Fix error message after an ORS script completes (Dees_Troy)
    -Fix crashes / error when creating encrypted backups (_that, Dees_Troy)
    -Add system read only option – more details below (Dees_Troy)
    -Add resize2fs and GUI option to run resize2fs (Dees_Troy)
    -Fix crash loop caused by empty lines in AOSP recovery command file (_that)
    -Prevent duplicate page overlays such as multiple lock screens (mdmower)

Note: As always, be sure your custom theme is up to date (or remove your custom theme) before updating TWRP.

System read only option: Devices that ship with 5.0 and higher as their initial OS are using block level OTA updates. With this style of OTA update, the update script checks to see if the system partition has ever been mounted read/write. Further, the script also usually runs an SHA sum of the entire system partition to detect if any changes have been made. If any changes have been made, the OTA update will refuse to install. Since not all OEMs and devices have factory images available, we have created a new feature in TWRP that detects if the system partition has ever been mounted read/write. If not, you will be prompted asking if you want TWRP to mount system as read/write. If you choose not to allow TWRP to mount as read/write, TWRP won’t prompt to install SuperSU and TWRP won’t try to patch the stock ROM to prevent TWRP from being replaced by stock recovery. The goal of this option is to hopefully allow the user to make a raw system image backup that they can use to get back to a state where they can take OTA updates again.

resize2fs feature: On some devices like the Nexus 6, the factory images include a userdata image that is the proper size only for the 32GB units. If you flash the factory image to a 64GB Nexus 6, the data partition will appear as if it only has the free space of a 32GB device. Using the resize2fs option, TWRP can resize your data partition to take up the full space available. The resize2fs may also be useful to resize system partitions on devices where custom ROM system images don’t take up the full partition space. Lastly, resize2fs may be useful in some cases to reserve the proper space at the end of a data partition for a full disk encryption key, should your partition be formatted incorrectly for some reason.

This new version also marks our first set of full builds using our new jenkins build server. You can track the progress of builds at https://jenkins.twrp.me and we have taken additional steps to make it easier for device maintainers to step up and submit patches to our gerrit server at https://gerrit.twrp.me to help us keep devices up to date and working.

CHANGELOG for 2.8.6.0:

-Fix daylight savings time rules for USA and Europe (_that)
    -Allow mulitple overlays for popup boxes (Dees_Troy)
    -Add pattern style password entry for decrypt (Tassadar)
    -Keyboard improvements (_that)
    -Update AOSP base to 5.1 (Dees_Troy)
    -Reduce theme count to 5 and rely on scaling (Dees_Troy)
    -Various scaling improvements (Dees_Troy)
    -Improved handling of resources in the GUI (_that)
    -Make scroll bar size proportional to list size (_that)
    -Allow scoll lists to render without a header (_that)
    -Make console scroll per pixel with kinetic scrolling (_that)
    -Support styles in XML to reduce XML size and improve consistentcy (Dees_Troy)
    -Various other fixes and improvements (mdmower, bigbiff, codelover, etc)

CHANGELOG for 2.8.5.0:

-Scale the GUI - TWRP can read the theme's resolution and scale it up or down to fit the theme to your screen's resolution
    -Backups can now be cancelled while the backup is in progress (does not include restore because we don't want to leave your device in a bad state)
    -Improve thread handling and move input handling into the main rendering thread to improve stability
    -Make MTP work even if unplugged and plugged back in
    -Unify scrollable list code and make kinetic scrolling feel more natural
    -Fix handling of mapped zip files for OTA updates (CM12 updater)
    -USB keyboards should now work on all devices that support USB host mode via a USB OTG cable
    -Other small fixes and improvements

CHANGELOG for 2.8.4.0:

-Add flashing of boot and recovery images via the TWRP GUI (Find the Images button on the Install page)
    -Fix some MTP related crashes and bugs
    -Eliminate TWRP toggling USB IDs during boot if MTP is enabled
    -Fix various adb sideload issues
    -Improve threading of actions
    -Eliminate separate thread for screen timeout
    -Update libblkid to 2.25.0
    -Use power button as back button on watch themes for easier navigation
    -Add mutex locking to data manager
    -Improve custom theme handling on encrypted devices
    -Allow the stock theme to be offset by build flags so we can center a lower res theme on a higher res screen especially for watches with round screens

** THIS IS A FLASHABLE .ZIP FILE FOR INSTALLING IN YOUR CURRENT VERSION OF TWRP **

DOWNLOAD:
    [ DO NOT DOWNLOAD ANY FILES FROM TEAMWIN'S WEBSITE. IN GENERAL, THEY ARE MEANT TO BE FLASHED TO UNLOCKED DEVICES AND WON'T WORK FOR KINDLE FIRE HD'S ]

You can download a flashable recovery zip and place in your SDCARD area on the device:

ON THE FOLLOWING DEV-HOST LINK
    USE THE BLUE "DOWNLOAD NOW" BUTTON
    -- DO NOT INSTALL AN EXECUTABLE DOWNLOADER TO YOUR SYSTEM! --
    I'LL LOOK FOR A BETTER HOST WHEN I GET MORE TIME.

Mirror 1: Download recovery zip from Dev-Host

INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS:

While the ORANGE logo is showing on the screen, press and hold the volume up button till the BLUE logo shows. (This is the button farther away from the power button)

• Select "Install"
    • Swipe to confirm flash
    • Reboot

KNOWN ISSUES:
    No USB mounting option for shared /data/media devices.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR ENTERING RECOVERY:

BUGS:
    First: I'd read through this thread and see if your issue isn't answered.
    Second: Try googling for it
    Third: If it seems like a Kindle Fire HD issue, then post in the thread.
    Lastly: If you have found a bug, please consider posting it to TeamWin's github issues log. It's pretty much impossible for us to keep up with the more than 40 threads that we have for the devices that we "directly" support. If you have a significant problem that cannot be answered in this thread, your best bet is to PM me directly, contact us via our website, or find us in our IRC channel below. If you see someone that's struggling, feel free to point it out to us. We need your help to help us keep track of all of our devices! Thanks!

SUPPORT:
    Live support is available via #kindlefire-dev or #twrp on Freenode with your IRC client or just click this link.
    UPDATED OP with new TWRP release

CHANGELOG for 2.6.1.0:
    -Initial SELinux support (only a few devices, need testers so come by IRC if your device doesn't have it and needs it) [HASH: not enabled for KFireHD's)
    -Initial support for f2fs file system formatting (Moto X)
    -Update SuperSU install for 4.3 ROMs
    -Fixed a permissions bug on files created during backup
    -Fixed a bug that caused TWRP to not wait for compressed backups to finish causing 0 byte files and md5sums to not match
    -Fixed decryption of encrypted data so that both TouchWiz and AOSP decryption are possible
    -Ignore lost+found folder during backup and size calculations
    -Various other minor bug fixes and tweaks

DOWNLOAD:

You can download from goo.im here and place on your SDCARD:
    http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/jem/recovery-zip/zip-kfhd8-twrp-2.6.1.0-recovery.zip
    md5sum: 762532343cf5168188fc59477ca41e2e

INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS:

• Select "Install"
    • Swipe to confirm flash
    • Reboot
    Updated the OP to TWRP v2.6.3.1.

CHANGES:
    -Updated recovery kernel with SElinux support
    -Changed how /cache and /data are formatted in recovery. Instead of rm -rf *, they are now cleaned up with mkfs.ext4. This should clear out any issues where users constantly needed to wipe cache to reboot. Those users will need to do 1 more wipe cache in recovery.

You can download from a mirror below and place on your SDCARD:
    Mirror 1: Download (Goo.im)
    Mirror 2: Download (Crackflashers)
    md5sum: a784747d684aca8e9aa801f42c7763ee

INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS:

• Select "Install"
    • Swipe to confirm flash
    • Reboot

Enjoy
    TWRP recovery has now been updated to 2.8.7.0!

All of the file hosting links have been changed in the OP to point at Dev-Host (since goo.im is down).

Enjoy.
    Original Post updated for TWRP 2.6.3.0

CHANGELOG for 2.6.3.0:
    -Proper backup and restore of SELinux contexts (thanks to Tassadar)
    -Pull in some ROM information for backup name generation
    -Merge all recent patches from AOSP bringing TWRP up to date with Android 4.3
    -Add 1200x1920 theme (thanks to Tassadar)
    -A few other fixes and tweaks

DOWNLOAD:

You can download from goo.im here and place on your SDCARD:
    http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/jem/recovery-zip/zip-kfhd8-twrp-2.6.3.0-recovery.zip
    md5sum: 566cda87c738b08610f629096d608086

INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS:

• Select "Install"
    • Swipe to confirm flash
    • Reboot