[Q] [KERNEL] Newbie here, some direction needed

Search This thread

e_poch145

Feb 3, 2011
Hi all,

First let me start by telling you what device I am using a Samsung Galaxy S III I535 running Liquid Smooth 2.37 rom.

I have been flashing phones for years and have bricked, unbricked & in most cases had success with dirty flashing and doing clean flashes. I have gotten to the point in my adventures with flashing phones to experiment with kernels, since that's all anyone talks about that gets some legit performance and battery life stats. So my questions are as follows ( and i apologize now if this has been asked a bazillion times before. If that is in fact the case, some direction to the link would be much appreciated, thanks! )

1) what are the steps one would have to take to properly flash a Kernel
2) are there any pitfalls and caveats i should be concerned about ( bricking is the obvious one here )

Thank you again in advance for taking the time to help me out. Just trying to get fully educated before i decide to start messing around further with my phones!

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
Hi all,

First let me start by telling you what device I am using a Samsung Galaxy S III I535 running Liquid Smooth 2.37 rom.

I have been flashing phones for years and have bricked, unbricked & in most cases had success with dirty flashing and doing clean flashes. I have gotten to the point in my adventures with flashing phones to experiment with kernels, since that's all anyone talks about that gets some legit performance and battery life stats. So my questions are as follows ( and i apologize now if this has been asked a bazillion times before. If that is in fact the case, some direction to the link would be much appreciated, thanks! )

2) are there any pitfalls and caveats i should be concerned about ( bricking is the obvious one here )

Thank you again in advance for taking the time to help me out. Just trying to get fully educated before i decide to start messing around further with my phones!

1) Make sure the kernel is compatible with your rom, Do some reading about the kernel -pros & cons.
2) Flash away. In theory, you don't even need to wipe cache or dalvik cache, but just wipe them to make you feel like...it's clean!!
3) The worst thing is you get a bootloop which is an easy fix.

therobut

Jan 15, 2014
Cincinnati
One other thing to note, is AOSP kernels are not compatible with TouchWiz roms, and TW kernels are not compatible with AOSP roms.

Make sure you get the right one, if the developer offers both options.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: e_poch145

SlimSnoopOS

Jan 29, 2011
1) Make sure the kernel is compatible with your rom, Do some reading about the kernel -pros & cons.
2) Flash away. In theory, you don't even need to wipe cache or dalvik cache, but just wipe them to make you feel like...it's clean!!

Just adding onto this, one good way of ensuring #1 is to flash a compatible AOSP 4.3 or 4.4 kernel that is dated at or about the same time as your rom. If the more recent kernel doesn't work, try the release prior to that.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

e_poch145

Feb 3, 2011
Thanks Guys!

Just adding onto this, one good way of ensuring #1 is to flash a compatible AOSP 4.3 or 4.4 kernel that is dated at or about the same time as your rom. If the more recent kernel doesn't work, try the release prior to that.

Much appreciated guys! I decided to go with [4.3/4.4][AOSP] ¤ BMS ¤ d2vzw / d2usc 3.4.y (link below). So far so good, flashed easily and no problems at this point. Ill report back and see how the performance gains are.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2133550

Thanks again for all of your advice!

twistedillutions

Mar 7, 2013
I run that kernel on all roms. Hope u get good battery life. I suggest let it stabilize a day or two.. Jst my two cents

Sent from my unknown using Tapatalk

e_poch145

Feb 3, 2011
wont connect to wifi for me

I run that kernel on all roms. Hope u get good battery life. I suggest let it stabilize a day or two.. Jst my two cents

I noticed as soon as I loaded the Kernel there was an issue. It wouldn't connect to any wifi networks. As a matter of fact, I couldn't even turn on wifi, the switch just stayed grayed out after i initially hit it. So currently I am running KT until I can find a solution to my issue. I would love to run BMS given the great response but I need to be able to use wifi lol

SlimSnoopOS

Jan 29, 2011
I noticed as soon as I loaded the Kernel there was an issue. It wouldn't connect to any wifi networks. As a matter of fact, I couldn't even turn on wifi, the switch just stayed grayed out after i initially hit it. So currently I am running KT until I can find a solution to my issue. I would love to run BMS given the great response but I need to be able to use wifi lol

What is the name and date of the rom that you are on? Which version and date of KT747 are you using? Lastly, which version and date of BMS did you flash?

e_poch145

Feb 3, 2011
versions im running

What is the name and date of the rom that you are on? Which version and date of KT747 are you using? Lastly, which version and date of BMS did you flash?

Liquid Smooth 2.37 from 11/06/2013

KT747-AOSP-JB-MR2-3.4-VZW-11-04-2013

BMS_3.4_d2_2014-01-27

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

U need an older version of BMS thoss new version from dec till now are for 4.4 roms and liquid 2.37 is a 4.3 thats the reason why ur having issues

One other thing to note, is AOSP kernels are not compatible with TouchWiz roms, and TW kernels are not compatible with AOSP roms.

Make sure you get the right one, if the developer offers both options.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app