[ROM] ICELite BETA2 | AOSP 4.0.3 | FAST & CLEAN | 23/04/2012

Search This thread

iridaki

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 21, 2007
Edinburgh, Scotland
It seems there is a bug in ICS 4.0.3 that makes notifications from 3rd party applications appear with an ugly gray background.
Does this seem familiar to anyone?
Happens with almost all applications like WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, etc etc.

device-2012-02-14-012932.png

The reason is a few lines of code in framework.jar:

Code:
If TargetSdkVersion is lower than Build.VERSION_CODES.GINGERBREAD(APILevel9), set R.drawable.notification_row_legacy_bg!!

It was annoying me as hell :mad: so I went ahead and came up with a workaround.

I changed those two files in SystemUI.apk: res\drawable\notification_row_legacy_bg.xml and res\values\drawables.xml, in order to make legacy background exactly the same as the default ICS background.

Now everything looks as it should:

4xbAJPEA

:)

I have modified the SystemUI.apk from hotfix2,
but I don't know if Z would want me to post it here, as it's his work after all,
so I will just post the files I modified and Z can implement them in a future hotfix. ;)

Get them HERE.

Thanks!

Last edited:

cooper104

Mar 15, 2010
London
Sony Xperia Z4 Tablet
I believe the System UI stopping is due to the GPS (I've only seen it happen when an application kicks off GPS location, like maps, cardio trainer, facebook etc.. )

This is the logcat and could be the GPS Icon? :

--------- beginning of /dev/log/system
E/AndroidRuntime( 4786): FATAL EXCEPTION: main
E/AndroidRuntime( 4786): android.app.RemoteServiceException: Bad notification posted from package com.android.systemui: Couldn't create icon: StatusBarIcon(pkg=com.android.systemui id=0x7f02008c level=0 visible=true num=0 )
E/AndroidRuntime( 4786): at android.app.ActivityThread$H.handleMessage(ActivityThread.java:1271)
E/AndroidRuntime( 4786): at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:99)
E/AndroidRuntime( 4786): at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:137)
E/AndroidRuntime( 4786): at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:4441)
E/AndroidRuntime( 4786): at java.lang.reflect.Method.invokeNative(Native Method)
E/AndroidRuntime( 4786): at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:511)
E/AndroidRuntime( 4786): at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:784)
E/AndroidRuntime( 4786): at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:551)
E/AndroidRuntime( 4786): at dalvik.system.NativeStart.main(Native Method)

Sent from my LT18i using xda premium

zdzihu

Retired Recognized Developer
Sep 28, 2008
I believe the System UI stopping is due to the GPS (I've only seen it happen when an application kicks off GPS location, like maps, cardio trainer, facebook etc.. )

This is the logcat and could be the GPS Icon? :

--------- beginning of /dev/log/system
E/AndroidRuntime( 4786): FATAL EXCEPTION: main
E/AndroidRuntime( 4786): android.app.RemoteServiceException: Bad notification posted from package com.android.systemui: Couldn't create icon: StatusBarIcon(pkg=com.android.systemui id=0x7f02008c level=0 visible=true num=0 )
E/AndroidRuntime( 4786): at android.app.ActivityThread$H.handleMessage(ActivityThread.java:1271)
E/AndroidRuntime( 4786): at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:99)
E/AndroidRuntime( 4786): at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:137)
E/AndroidRuntime( 4786): at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:4441)
E/AndroidRuntime( 4786): at java.lang.reflect.Method.invokeNative(Native Method)
E/AndroidRuntime( 4786): at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:511)
E/AndroidRuntime( 4786): at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:784)
E/AndroidRuntime( 4786): at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:551)
E/AndroidRuntime( 4786): at dalvik.system.NativeStart.main(Native Method)

Sent from my LT18i using xda premium
Thanks, I was able to reproduce this issue and should be able to fix that in hotfix3 :)

It seems there is a bug in ICS 4.0.3 that makes notifications from 3rd party applications appear with an ugly gray background.
Does this seem familiar to anyone?
Happens with almost all applications like WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, etc etc.

The reason is a few lines of code in framework.jar:

Code:
If TargetSdkVersion is lower than Build.VERSION_CODES.GINGERBREAD(APILevel9), set R.drawable.notification_row_legacy_bg!!

It was annoying me as hell :mad: so I went ahead and came up with a workaround.

I changed those two files in SystemUI.apk: res\drawable\notification_row_legacy_bg.xml and res\values\drawables.xml, in order to make legacy background exactly the same as the default ICS background.

Now everything looks as it should:

:)

I have modified the SystemUI.apk from hotfix2,
but I don't know if Z would want me to post it here, as it's his work after all,
so I will just post the files I modified and Z can implement them in a future hotfix. ;)

Get them HERE.

Thanks!
Hi, I'd love to use the fix, but I'm afraid apktool messes up SystemUI.apk big time = random problems like pt_BR language or GPS causing FC.

Could you check if you're able to use any nav software (gmaps might be enough) with your modded SystemUI?

Cheers,
z

Last edited:

iridaki

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 21, 2007
Edinburgh, Scotland
Hi, I'd love to use the fix, but I'm afraid apktool messes up SystemUI.apk big time = random problems like pt_BR language or GPS causing FC.

Could you check if you're able to use any nav software (gmaps might be enough) with your modded SystemUI?

Cheers,
z

Yes, you are right, GPS animation makes SystemUI Force Close.
I may be able to fix that too, I have an idea and I'll look into it.

hellocng

Apr 14, 2011
Vancouver
www.hellocng.com
Im having no problems with the original release without hot fixes. Im afraid that the hot fixes will reveal more bugs and problem than there were. My advice for others is unless you have a specific problem that only the hot fixes can address, dont fix whats not broken.

Like Ive said earlier, even with 56 baseband, my reception and battery life is better than when I had GB and ICS alpha. I also have no problems with the end call button. GPS is also working but without compass.

App related issues such as live wallpaper picker should be addressed separately with apks. This will at least sandbox issues that arises.

jjdoctor

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 3, 2011
Rawalpindi
zdzidu.. Please do something for Xperia Ray.. :eek:...Its running very smooth on it, just give me a hint which files are related to digitizer fix... Its showing a mouse which I have to drag to touch a place...

would be really grateful...

rmayrink

Nov 22, 2008
Is there a memory leak in ICS? After the boot I have more than 100MB of free RAM. After some time of use (calls, SMS, Facebook) the free RAM drops to 30MB and I can not run games like Angry Birds Seasons, Let's Golf 3 HD, BackStab. They close after a few seconds (opening or playing) and return to Home, and the Launcher redraw many times. The battery life is better that latest GB (42, 56, 62) firmwares, but not better then .283 firmware (the best in my opinion). The UI is great, but the ICS eats lots of memory.

Kyraa

May 23, 2011
Dresden
SE Keyboard can't be used in this ROM, it can only be used in SE ROMs due to framework resources.

With Data, Autosync, 3 Gmail accounts, FB, G+, Twitter, I only lost 12% within almost 8 hours. That's far better than stock GB for me.
Kindly refer to this guide to pinpoint your issue! ;)

I lost about 20 % in 2 hours with 20 minutes of playing music and maybe 30 min surfing and downloading one app. Usually when I get to work my phone's got about 98% battery left, today I had only 93% with the usual music+surfing in the bus. About 90 minutes later I was on 78%. I read your guide and BetterBatteryStats didn't show anything unusual. Except the dormant process which kept my phone waking up more than 20000 times from about 8:30 to now, which results in a total awake time of more than three ours. The battery was draining so heavily it didn't even charge to full via USB in 3 hours plugged in. I gonna flash ROM, baseband and the hotfixes again. Maybe this helps.

Edit: Mh, my Battery menu says that my phone only charged for a very brief moment and not what should be hours. Don't know why, but could be related to the PC it was connected to since it's an old ThinkPad and doesn't seem to power it's USB-Ports when it's in standby even when connected to a dock. I'll check tomorrow again and report back.

Last edited:

mariusmes

Jul 24, 2009
Katwijk
After a day still no problems. Used acronium before, but with this ROM my battery last a lot longer. Superb!

Sent from my LT18i using XDA App

h25p

Dec 27, 2011
Cologne
Excellent Battery Life! I usually can't get a full 24 hours without recharging on my lt18i, with this ROM I have now 20 hours 32 minutes and still 60 % battery available. It was an quiet day, just a few mails, a few calls and a bit of surfing. But I never got this lifetime with any other rom before.

Everything's working fine up to now, only minor issue is that scrolling in tapatalk seems to be lot slower (not laggy, but slower).

Last edited:

jtc42

Jan 2, 2007
Bath
Sorry for the newby question but I've searched and everything and just drawn blanks or don't understand what's being said.

How do I go about updating the baseband? Can it be done?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys,

Here's the first release of the ROM I've been working on for some time now. This ROM is based on SEMC framework for compatibility (data connection etc), but introduces fully debranded system. ICELite is designed to be fast, lightweight and stable ROM ready for everyday's use. As usual, this is a BETA release, and I'm not responsible for any herp in case of derp or durr.

ICELite beta2

scaled.php

Summary:
    This ROM is a pure AOSP experience without any bloatware. If you need Timescape/Whateverscape, please use the SEMC ICS beta ROM. I am not taking any feature requests - this is going to be barebone Android 4.0.3 without any addons. If you need battery mod/wallpaper/xyz support - please click here

Features:
    - Wifi Direct app
    - latest Trebuchet launcher
    - 0%-battery friendly
    - HDMI + FM Radio
    - gapps base included (you may download all neccessary Google App from the market)

Bugs/Issues:
    - I haven't had enough time to port AOSP incall screen, so I included my custom one (thanks SEMC)

Tips:
    - setting animation scale to 0.5x (or even disable if you don't need eyecandy) improves overall speed/smoothness a lot

Howto:
    - download
    - unpack
    - fastboot flash boot boot.img
    - flash update.zip via recovery

This ROM is tested (and works fine) with ICS BASEBAND (70+). You may experience various problems using different baseband!

Changelog:
    - beta2: ported beta1 changes to the official ICS release, latest stock kernel with 0% workaround.
    - hotfix2a: minor fix for GPS force close
    - hotfix2: restored Live Wallpaper Picker, restored statusbar clock color, fixed lags when entering settings, hopefully fixed incall button issues
    - hotfix1: fixed FM Radio FC, fixed pt_BR language, included new Wifi modules

Doomlord :D, FXP(J), Bin4ry, all Xperia developers

Kernel: boot-ICELite-beta2.img

ROM: ICELite_zdzihu_beta2.zip

Cheers,
    z
    Hi guys,

Sorry there's been no updates since hotfix2, but my Arc is suffering from hardware fault. The "back" button seems to be always-pressed, which renders phone very hard to use (it automatically closes most of the apps I start, disconnects my calls after a second etc).

I'll try to disassemble it and hopefully fix the issue when I have some spare time. The development is NOT ceased.

Cheers,
    z
    ICELite beta2

Hi guys,

I haven't fixed my back button issue yet, but found a nice software workaround that makes phone more-or-less usable.

Here's work-in-progress build of ICELite, based on official ICS release. Since it's not tested much and barely optimized, I still consider it beta release.

I've been short on time lately, so I mostly ported beta1 changes to official ICS, added 0% workaround to stock kernel (and some minor stuff). Hopefully I'll get some more spare time to optimize the rom / cut off more bloatware soon. So far, tested for 24h without any random reboots.

For better experience, set your animation scale to 0.5x/0.5x in dev settings!

kernel: boot-ICELite-beta2.img

ROM: ICELite_zdzihu_beta2.zip

Cheers,
    z
    Facebook sync / accound add is a generic ICS issue - you need to google for available workarounds.

Also, here's the hotfix1:

- fixed FM Radio force close
    - fixed pt_BR language causing constant force closes
    - included new Wifi modules which may (or may not) fix some wifi related problems

Download: ICELite_beta1_hotfix1.zip

Cheers,
    z
    Hi,

Thanks for the feedback :) I am trying to investigate the issues mentioned in thread.

- problems with Setup Wizard (changing language = FC etc): just go throught it ASAP and you will be fine. I'll try to replace it wil less problematic version.

- Wifi problems - to be honest I don't have any, but I'll try to use different modules and check link quality and such

- touch-to-focus misaligned - I am working on it, seems to be just an app issue.

P.S.: I hope it has the "U MAD?" bootlogo/bootanimation
    Certainly :D

Cheers,
    z