Nook Color Wireless Inductive Charging

Search This thread

xboxexpert

Aug 1, 2007
www.thexboxexpert.com
This modification was done because I love my Nook Color as my XBMC Remote control for my entertainment center yet I hate to have to wire it to charge it every night.

1x Nook Color
1x Verizon Wireless Charging Inductive Battery Cover
1x Verizon Wireless Charging Pad

Video Demonstration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jDCfnLNAv4

How To:
attachment.php

Step 1: Tear apart the wireless charger from the back cover.

Step 2: Use a SHARP scissor to cut around the components until you have just the coil and the pcb board.

Step 3: Use a solder iron to remove the two gold BLOCKS and leave the solder pads.

Step 4: Take thin wire and wire up the + from the picture to the + of the Charge Pad and the Nook Color. BE EXTREMELY CARE FULL THE POSITIVE RESISTOR IS VERY SMALL!

Step 5: Take thin wire and wire up the - from the picture to the - of the Charge Pad and the Nook Color.

Step 6: Thread the wires and position the charge cover directly in the middle of the battery.

Step 7: Close it up and test it out!

Last edited:

biohazrd51

Apr 26, 2011
I said it in the other thread, but wrong forum, so I'll say it here.

AWESOME! Grats on completing it!

What is the charging rate like?

Reactions: xboxexpert

xboxexpert

Aug 1, 2007
www.thexboxexpert.com

I charged it from 8% to 100% over night I got tired and didn't log the charge times. I'll leave it die then log the charge times. I did however during the making of the video start at 95% and charge fully in about 10 minutes.

Sinatics

Jun 15, 2011
Very nice. It looks very straight forward and fairly simple to do. I'd love to do this to my nook although the components seem to be rather pricey at the moment. Thanks for sharing :)

xboxexpert

Aug 1, 2007
www.thexboxexpert.com
Very nice. It looks very straight forward and fairly simple to do. I'd love to do this to my nook although the components seem to be rather pricey at the moment. Thanks for sharing :)

Indeed they are but soon enough they will drop. I was going to use the Palm inductive charging solution but the palm "pad/dock" was angled for the use of a cell phone so I went with the pad since I can just drop the nook on it and it charges.

thereddog

Dec 4, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Totally awesome, might do this in the future.. I wonder if it would work with the case I use (Dessin cover)

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

xboxexpert

Aug 1, 2007
www.thexboxexpert.com
Totally awesome, might do this in the future.. I wonder if it would work with the case I use (Dessin cover)

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

I highly doubt the coil will pass through the case. If you were going to try it with a case I'd mount the coil outside the nook and to the case instead of in the nook. Perhaps if you were to put a refrigerator magnet between the nook and the case it would amplify the field I'm really not sure.

slider2828

Jul 19, 2010
Is the pad internal? I was hoping you could take pictures of the mod before and after? that would be totally helpful...

naughticl

Nov 12, 2007
Did you find room inside the NC for the small PCB attached to the receiver coil? Found a charger at ThinkGeek for much less than the Verizon. Just gotta work thru the 30-pin plug for the iPhone. Be great to see your photos of the inside of the NC.
Thanks!

tightwad

Sep 20, 2011
Ok, so I tried this mod. I purchased a Palm Pre cover and dock. I verified that the cover gave 5.5v when docked (to find which was + mostly). I verified the points shown are + and - when a normal charging cord is in. I wired from the points by the USB port to the Palm Pre coil. I again verified that I had 5.5V at that point with the charger in the USB jack. When I connected the coil to the Palm dock, it measures 0 volts and the nook says "discharging".

Is it possible the Palm Pre setup doesn't provide enough amperage?

xboxexpert

Aug 1, 2007
www.thexboxexpert.com
Ok, so I tried this mod. I purchased a Palm Pre cover and dock. I verified that the cover gave 5.5v when docked (to find which was + mostly). I verified the points shown are + and - when a normal charging cord is in. I wired from the points by the USB port to the Palm Pre coil. I again verified that I had 5.5V at that point with the charger in the USB jack. When I connected the coil to the Palm dock, it measures 0 volts and the nook says "discharging".

Is it possible the Palm Pre setup doesn't provide enough amperage?

Only work with the items i described.

unsivil_audio

May 4, 2011
Sheridan
There's gotta be a cheaper alternative than using those. What about the Wii inductive charging system (I think its made by duracell)? What do you have for a reading on charge rate (mA·h)?

kkrull

Mar 3, 2006
Space \ ThinkGeek \ Pics and Nook Tablet

Did you find room inside the NC for the small PCB attached to the receiver coil...Found a charger at ThinkGeek...Be great to see your photos of the inside of the NC.
Thanks!

I am especially curious about the PCB on the coil and what it does. Tell the pad to reduce power?

Also I was not able to find such a device at ThinkGeek. Would you post a link, or if not still available would you describe?

I would also like photos of inside the Nook Color and especially if anyone is trying this with the newer Nook Tablet.

Modded Darts

Jul 13, 2011
Fort Worth
Charger Durability

How sturdy is this build. I am asking because I have been through 4 B&N chargers. My nook keeps falling and braking the charger.

m4a1

Apr 14, 2009
Hi,
I gave this mod a try and took some pictures to share.

I was able to get the Verizon cover and one of the energizer chargers to use.

A strange issue I noticed was using the stock nook firmware it says not charging when connected but with android/CM7 it shows charging. Oh well.

Enjoy

P1030487_small.jpg
ttp://i42.tinypic.com/110hu03.jpg
P1030488_small.jpg
ttp://i43.tinypic.com/16aa9md.jpg
P1030484_small.jpg
ttp://i44.tinypic.com/9a4bye.jpg

ps. I cant link so the links above dont have the "H" in "HTTP"

Last edited:

frijones

Mar 28, 2011
Parts request

What are the parts (charging sleeve and dock) needed for this to work? I only ask because the Verizon pages that were linked in the first post are dead.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This modification was done because I love my Nook Color as my XBMC Remote control for my entertainment center yet I hate to have to wire it to charge it every night.

1x Nook Color
    1x Verizon Wireless Charging Inductive Battery Cover
    1x Verizon Wireless Charging Pad

Video Demonstration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jDCfnLNAv4

How To:
    attachment.php

Step 1: Tear apart the wireless charger from the back cover.

Step 2: Use a SHARP scissor to cut around the components until you have just the coil and the pcb board.

Step 3: Use a solder iron to remove the two gold BLOCKS and leave the solder pads.

Step 4: Take thin wire and wire up the + from the picture to the + of the Charge Pad and the Nook Color. BE EXTREMELY CARE FULL THE POSITIVE RESISTOR IS VERY SMALL!

Step 5: Take thin wire and wire up the - from the picture to the - of the Charge Pad and the Nook Color.

Step 6: Thread the wires and position the charge cover directly in the middle of the battery.

Step 7: Close it up and test it out!