FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

 View Poll Results: Did you find this thread useful?

Yes, it was very helpful to me.
 
1,604 Vote(s)
64.03%
No, I didn't feel it helped me.
 
415 Vote(s)
16.57%
I don't know.
 
486 Vote(s)
19.40%

[HELP THREAD] Ask ANY Question. Noob Friendly.

4,429 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,927
 
Post Reply Email Thread
30th April 2013, 05:29 PM |#21  
Senior Member
Flag Tripoli
Thanks Meter: 14
 
More
Is there any risk in flashing rom from XDA using an xperia flash tool???
I really care about my phone and I don't want to lose It
 
 
30th April 2013, 05:30 PM |#22  
Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles, CA
Thanks Meter: 29
 
More
I posted a thread before about this but I wasn't able to get a complete answer, so I guess I'll ask it here:

Is it possible to flash a custom recovery without unlocking/rooting? I am trying to make a nandroid backup without rooting or unlocking, since these actions could potentially wipe the phone. I was thinking of using something like fastboot or a custom apk, but I wasn't sure if it would be able to work on most devices. I understand that different phones do different things, I was just wondering what the general rule is.


Is all user data stored in the /data partition, or is there some data stored in the /system partition as well? By user data I am referring to SMS, contacts, call logs, basic phone info (IMEI, phone number) and any application data the user has installed.
Bruce Wayne
30th April 2013, 05:39 PM |#23  
Guest
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arafeh94

Is there any risk in flashing rom from XDA using an xperia flash tool???
I really care about my phone and I don't want to lose It

Which phone do you have?
You will find instructions on flashing in every rom thread. Follow them properly and you are fine. If anything goes fine, we are here to help. If you fear, you'll never ever get something.




Quote:
Originally Posted by syung

I posted a thread before about this but I wasn't able to get a complete answer, so I guess I'll ask it here:

Is it possible to flash a custom recovery without unlocking/rooting? I am trying to make a nandroid backup without rooting or unlocking, since these actions could potentially wipe the phone. I was thinking of using something like fastboot or a custom apk, but I wasn't sure if it would be able to work on most devices. I understand that different phones do different things, I was just wondering what the general rule is.


Is all user data stored in the /data partition, or is there some data stored in the /system partition as well? By user data I am referring to SMS, contacts, call logs, basic phone info (IMEI, phone number) and any application data the user has installed.

As for samsung phones, you can have a nandroid backup using temporary recoveries(if available) without the need of root. All the data is stored (user data) in /data partition.
/system is not used to store data afaik.
And IMEI is stored in efs partition.

A Hero Can Be Anyone. GENERAL HELP THREAD
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ad-Free
30th April 2013, 05:45 PM |#24  
Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles, CA
Thanks Meter: 29
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne


As for samsung phones, you can have a nandroid backup using temporary recoveries(if available) without the need of root. All the data is stored (user data) in /data partition.
/system is not used to store data afaik.
And IMEI is stored in efs partition.

A Hero Can Be Anyone. GENERAL HELP THREAD

Thank you, is there a similar process for HTC phones? Since I'm guessing the majority of Android phones out there are either HTC or Samsung, I should only have to worry about these two manufacturers.
Bruce Wayne
30th April 2013, 05:56 PM |#25  
Guest
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by syung

Thank you, is there a similar process for HTC phones? Since I'm guessing the majority of Android phones out there are either HTC or Samsung, I should only have to worry about these two manufacturers.

Yes.
You can backup your data on your desktop using adb tools. This method should work on all devices and does not require root. You can read on xda portal about it or just google it.
It will also restore the data.

Only thing required is you need to enable usb debugging in develooement options in settings.

I hope that clears up your doubts
A Hero Can Be Anyone. GENERAL HELP THREAD
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ad-Free
30th April 2013, 05:59 PM |#26  
Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles, CA
Thanks Meter: 29
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne

Yes.
You can backup your data on your desktop using adb tools. This method should work on all devices and does not require root. You can read on xda portal about it or just google it.
It will also restore the data.

Only thing required is you need to enable usb debugging in develooement options in settings.

I hope that clears up your doubts
A Hero Can Be Anyone. GENERAL HELP THREAD

Are you referring to the adb backup command? I looked into that, however it only works if the phone is running Android 4.x. Since the majority of phones out there are still running gingerbread, I was wondering if there was some way to get the backups from these older devices.
Bruce Wayne
30th April 2013, 06:07 PM |#27  
Guest
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by syung

Are you referring to the adb backup command? I looked into that, however it only works if the phone is running Android 4.x. Since the majority of phones out there are still running gingerbread, I was wondering if there was some way to get the backups from these older devices.

Yeah.

There must be other way around.
But as I have never owned a htc device, its rather hard and also not good to answer questions on that.

A Hero Can Be Anyone. GENERAL HELP THREAD
30th April 2013, 08:12 PM |#28  
Senior Member
Flag Tripoli
Thanks Meter: 14
 
More
I have xperia p
I just wan't to know about the bootlaod
how to know if it locked or not ????????????
do you know a safe way plzz answer
30th April 2013, 08:19 PM |#29  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Hi. My girlfriend has a vodafone android (gingerbread) mobile. It is having problems opening the messages prog that came stock with it. Sometimes it opens fine and sometimes it opens, keeps refreshing and closes back to home screen. Also when it opens fine I cannot delete the threads in it. How can I fix this problem? Do I have to do factory reset and if yes how can I do this with this phone?

Thanks
Bruce Wayne
30th April 2013, 08:26 PM |#30  
Guest
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arafeh94

I have xperia p
I just wan't to know about the bootlaod
how to know if it locked or not ????????????
do you know a safe way plzz answer

Please ask your question in your device's forum. Those guys know it better. I own a samsung device, so I don't know much about the sony/htc/lg devices. Please wait for someone else to answer your question.
Thanks

A Hero Can Be Anyone. GENERAL HELP THREAD
30th April 2013, 08:33 PM |#31  
Senior Member
Flag Tripoli
Thanks Meter: 14
 
More
no one know in my forum
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ask any question, beginner, confused, guidance, help needed, help thread, lost, newbie, noob, questions and answers

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes