FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[SOLVED] - Manually enable adb debugging from recovery

1,557 posts
Thanks Meter: 713
 
By workdowg, Account currently disabled on 23rd June 2013, 07:40 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
9th August 2015, 06:28 AM |#21  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
More
Tutorial You should've stopped at " 'adb' is not..."
Quote:
Originally Posted by avro.bd

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
(c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>adb shell
'adb' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
. . .
Getting this on S$..any1 here to help me!

You need to first install ADB, the installer can be found via Google.
Once installed (Press 'Y' > 'ENTER' for each option during install, this should install it to the default location, i.e. "C:").
Run "cmd" and enter the command "dir" . . . you should see "adb" as the first or second <DIR> listed; if you do not, find where 'adb' is installed and navigate to its folder via the commands 'cd' and 'dir'. Once in the 'adb' dir...
Begin typing "adb shell" and you'll see something other than..
Quote:

"'adb' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file."

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to digital_carpenter For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift digital_carpenter Ad-Free
 
 
10th October 2015, 06:49 PM |#22  
Anz-dev's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 7
 
More
I'm getting this, please help?

C:\Users\******\Downloads>adb devices
adb server is out of date. killing...
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached
10cb4f24 recovery


C:\Users\****\Downloads>adb shell
~ # ←[6nsu
su
/sbin/sh: su: not found
~ # ←[6n
The Following User Says Thank You to Anz-dev For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Anz-dev Ad-Free
4th November 2015, 06:06 PM |#23  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 54
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by workdowg

First off, this may seem a noob question, but I am definitely not.

I have an Iconia A200 that now has a broken lcd screen. No display, no touch. I am able to get into the tablet from TWRP via adb, but not from Android (Jelly Bean). It seems I never enabled usb debugging when I installed the custom rooted rom.... I can access the file system and modify anything... Which files need to be modified to enable debugging in Android? Here is what I tried:

Added to default.prop and /system/build.prop

Code:
persist.service.adb.enable=1                                                    
persist.service.debuggable=1
persist.sys.usb.config=mtp,adb
Edit: Must have had typos... It now works.

You are my salvation!! I love you
14th November 2015, 03:21 AM |#24  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by workdowg

I'm going to stay general and assume that a skyrochet is a phone, you have a linux or windows pc with ADB installed (and the drivers to connect to your phone) and have TWRP or CWM Recovery installed already...
1) Start the phone in recovery mode - mine is power down and vol
2) Connect you cable to the pc and start a console terminal or cmd prompt
3) Run the following

Code:
adb shell
su
mount -o remount,rw /system
cd /
echo "persist.service.adb.enable=1" >> default.prop 
echo "persist.service.debuggable=1" >> default.prop
echo "persist.sys.usb.config=mtp,adb" >> default.prop
echo "persist.service.adb.enable=1" >> /system/build.prop 
echo "persist.service.debuggable=1" >> /system/build.prop
echo "persist.sys.usb.config=mtp,adb" >> /system/build.prop
Once you reboot into Android you should be able to connect via adb.


Hi workdowg and others,

I'm trying to do the above on my Samsung GT-N7105. The screen has gone completely black, though the touch/digitizer still works. My goal is to be able to use my phone with Android Screencast. And the first step is to enable adb debugging on Android.

I've flashed CWM recovery and tried to run the above commands, but I got an error here:

Code:
# mount -o remount,rw /system
mount: can't find /system in /proc/mounts
I tried going ahead with the rest of the commands anyway, but when I rebooted, I still didn't have adb access on Android.

I'm running stock Android 4.1.2, and my bootloader doesn't have Knox.

Btw I am noob, so please try to give unambiguous replies. I understand it's troublesome to type a long reply, and I don't mind if your reply is short, but please try to make it as unambiguous as possible.

Thanks so much.
14th November 2015, 12:41 PM |#25  
OP Account currently disabled
Flag Seneca Falls
Thanks Meter: 713
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnestChia

Hi workdowg and others,

I'm trying to do the above on my Samsung GT-N7105. The screen has gone completely black, though the touch/digitizer still works. My goal is to be able to use my phone with Android Screencast. And the first step is to enable adb debugging on Android.

I've flashed CWM recovery and tried to run the above commands, but I got an error here:

Code:
# mount -o remount,rw /system
mount: can't find /system in /proc/mounts
I tried going ahead with the rest of the commands anyway, but when I rebooted, I still didn't have adb access on Android.

I'm running stock Android 4.1.2, and my bootloader doesn't have Knox.

Btw I am noob, so please try to give unambiguous replies. I understand it's troublesome to type a long reply, and I don't mind if your reply is short, but please try to make it as unambiguous as possible.

Thanks so much.

I'll try to help.. It's been a long time and my old device is long gone...

When you are in adb shell what do you get with just the mount command?

something like this...
Code:
$ mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,seclabel,nosuid,relatime,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,seclabel,relatime,mode=600)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,seclabel,relatime)
selinuxfs on /sys/fs/selinux type selinuxfs (rw,relatime)
adb on /dev/usb-ffs/adb type functionfs (rw,relatime)
/dev/block/by-name/config on /config type ext4 (rw,seclabel,nosuid,nodev,noatime,data=ordered)
/dev/block/by-name/factory on /factory type ext4 (rw,seclabel,nosuid,nodev,noatime,data=ordered)
/dev/block/by-name/logs on /logs type ext4 (rw,seclabel,nosuid,nodev,relatime,data=ordered)
/dev/block/mmcblk0p11 on /cache type ext4 (rw,seclabel,relatime,data=ordered)
/dev/block/mmcblk0p14 on /data type ext4 (rw,seclabel,relatime,data=ordered)
/dev/block/mmcblk0p14 on /sdcard type ext4 (rw,seclabel,relatime,data=ordered)
/dev/block/mmcblk1p1 on /external_sd type vfat (rw,relatime,fmask=0000,dmask=0000,allow_utime=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)
The Following User Says Thank You to workdowg For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift workdowg Ad-Free
14th November 2015, 12:54 PM |#26  
OP Account currently disabled
Flag Seneca Falls
Thanks Meter: 713
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by workdowg

I'll try to help.. It's been a long time and my old device is long gone...

When you are in adb shell what do you get with just the mount command?

something like this...

Code:
$ mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,seclabel,nosuid,relatime,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,seclabel,relatime,mode=600)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,seclabel,relatime)
selinuxfs on /sys/fs/selinux type selinuxfs (rw,relatime)
adb on /dev/usb-ffs/adb type functionfs (rw,relatime)
/dev/block/by-name/config on /config type ext4 (rw,seclabel,nosuid,nodev,noatime,data=ordered)
/dev/block/by-name/factory on /factory type ext4 (rw,seclabel,nosuid,nodev,noatime,data=ordered)
/dev/block/by-name/logs on /logs type ext4 (rw,seclabel,nosuid,nodev,relatime,data=ordered)
/dev/block/mmcblk0p11 on /cache type ext4 (rw,seclabel,relatime,data=ordered)
/dev/block/mmcblk0p14 on /data type ext4 (rw,seclabel,relatime,data=ordered)
/dev/block/mmcblk0p14 on /sdcard type ext4 (rw,seclabel,relatime,data=ordered)
/dev/block/mmcblk1p1 on /external_sd type vfat (rw,relatime,fmask=0000,dmask=0000,allow_utime=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)

Try this:
Code:
su
mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/by-name/system /system
The Following User Says Thank You to workdowg For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift workdowg Ad-Free
15th November 2015, 01:40 AM |#27  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
More
Hi workdowg! I appreciate your replies.

Immediately after I boot into CWM recovery and connect via adb, I'm already root. There is no need for me to su.

Also, there's already a directory called /system. If I "cd" to this directory and run "ls -la", I get the following:

Code:
# cd /system

/system # ls -la
__bionic_open_tzdata: couldn't find any tzdata when looking for localtime!
__bionic_open_tzdata: couldn't find any tzdata when looking for GMT!
__bionic_open_tzdata: couldn't find any tzdata when looking for posixrules!
drwxr-xr-x    3 root     root             0 Jan  1  1970 .
drwxr-xr-x   22 root     root             0 Jan  1 17:07 ..
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root             0 Jan  1  1970 bin

So immediately after I boot, /system is a directory which already exists, but doesn't contain a "build.prop"


Quote:
Originally Posted by workdowg

When you are in adb shell what do you get with just the mount command?

The output of the mount command is:

Code:
# mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,seclabel,nosuid,relatime,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,seclabel,relatime,mode=600)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,seclabel,relatime)
selinuxfs on /sys/fs/selinux type selinuxfs (rw,relatime)
tmpfs on /storage type tmpfs (rw,seclabel,relatime,mode=050,gid=1028)
tmpfs on /mnt/secure type tmpfs (rw,seclabel,relatime,mode=700)
tmpfs on /mnt/fuse type tmpfs (rw,seclabel,relatime,mode=775,gid=1000)
/dev/block/mmcblk0p12 on /cache type ext4 (rw,seclabel,relatime,user_xattr,barrier=1,journal_async_commit,data=ordered)


Quote:
Originally Posted by workdowg

Try this:

Code:
su
mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/by-name/system /system

Four mount commands which I tried but didn't work:

Code:
# mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/by-name/system /system
mount: mounting /dev/block/by-name/system on /system failed: Invalid argument

# mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/by-name/system /system2
mount: mounting /dev/block/by-name/system on /system2 failed: No such file or directory

/dev/block # mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mmcblk0p13 /system2
mount: mounting /dev/block/mmcblk0p13 on /system2 failed: No such file or directory

/dev/block # mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mmcblk0p13 /system
mount: mounting /dev/block/mmcblk0p13 on /system failed: Invalid argument

Btw I'm guessing that mmcblk0p13 is my system partition, but I'm not 100% sure.

*********************

Edit:

Oh no, I wasn't thinking straight earlier...

Sorry, I've just realized how noob I was. Anyway, after running the following commands...

Code:
cd /
mkdir /system2
mount -o rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p13 /system2
echo "persist.service.adb.enable=1" >> default.prop 
echo "persist.service.debuggable=1" >> default.prop
echo "persist.sys.usb.config=mtp,adb" >> default.prop
echo "persist.service.adb.enable=1" >> /system2/build.prop 
echo "persist.service.debuggable=1" >> /system2/build.prop
echo "persist.sys.usb.config=mtp,adb" >> /system2/build.prop
...and then rebooting, I now have adb access to Android! (Finally!) And I've managed to run Android Screencast together with my phone, so my phone is fully functional once more.

Thank you so much workdowg!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ErnestChia For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ErnestChia Ad-Free
5th December 2015, 08:39 PM |#28  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
usb debugg force
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnestChia

Hi workdowg! I appreciate your replies.

Immediately after I boot into CWM recovery and connect via adb, I'm already root. There is no need for me to su.

Also, there's already a directory called /system. If I "cd" to this directory and run "ls -la", I get the following:

Code:
# cd /system

/system # ls -la
__bionic_open_tzdata: couldn't find any tzdata when looking for localtime!
__bionic_open_tzdata: couldn't find any tzdata when looking for GMT!
__bionic_open_tzdata: couldn't find any tzdata when looking for posixrules!
drwxr-xr-x    3 root     root             0 Jan  1  1970 .
drwxr-xr-x   22 root     root             0 Jan  1 17:07 ..
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root             0 Jan  1  1970 bin

So immediately after I boot, /system is a directory which already exists, but doesn't contain a "build.prop"




The output of the mount command is:

Code:
# mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,seclabel,nosuid,relatime,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,seclabel,relatime,mode=600)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,seclabel,relatime)
selinuxfs on /sys/fs/selinux type selinuxfs (rw,relatime)
tmpfs on /storage type tmpfs (rw,seclabel,relatime,mode=050,gid=1028)
tmpfs on /mnt/secure type tmpfs (rw,seclabel,relatime,mode=700)
tmpfs on /mnt/fuse type tmpfs (rw,seclabel,relatime,mode=775,gid=1000)
/dev/block/mmcblk0p12 on /cache type ext4 (rw,seclabel,relatime,user_xattr,barrier=1,journal_async_commit,data=ordered)




Four mount commands which I tried but didn't work:

Code:
# mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/by-name/system /system
mount: mounting /dev/block/by-name/system on /system failed: Invalid argument

# mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/by-name/system /system2
mount: mounting /dev/block/by-name/system on /system2 failed: No such file or directory

/dev/block # mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mmcblk0p13 /system2
mount: mounting /dev/block/mmcblk0p13 on /system2 failed: No such file or directory

/dev/block # mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mmcblk0p13 /system
mount: mounting /dev/block/mmcblk0p13 on /system failed: Invalid argument

Btw I'm guessing that mmcblk0p13 is my system partition, but I'm not 100% sure.

*********************

Edit:

Oh no, I wasn't thinking straight earlier...

Sorry, I've just realized how noob I was. Anyway, after running the following commands...

Code:
cd /
mkdir /system2
mount -o rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p13 /system2
echo "persist.service.adb.enable=1" >> default.prop 
echo "persist.service.debuggable=1" >> default.prop
echo "persist.sys.usb.config=mtp,adb" >> default.prop
echo "persist.service.adb.enable=1" >> /system2/build.prop 
echo "persist.service.debuggable=1" >> /system2/build.prop
echo "persist.sys.usb.config=mtp,adb" >> /system2/build.prop
...and then rebooting, I now have adb access to Android! (Finally!) And I've managed to run Android Screencast together with my phone, so my phone is fully functional once more.

Thank you so much workdowg!

C:\>adb shell
error: device not found
C:\>echo "persist.service.adb.enable=1" >> default.prop C:\>echo "persist.service.debuggable=1" >> default.prop C:\>echo "persist.sys.usb.config=mtp,adb" >> default.prop C:\>echo "persist.service.adb.enable=1" >> /system/build.prop
The system cannot find the path specified.
C:\>echo "persist.service.debuggable=1" >> /system/build.prop
The system cannot find the path specified.
C:\>echo "persist.sys.usb.config=mtp,adb" >> /system/build.prop

whats wrong wt this??? please help!
6th December 2015, 11:22 AM |#29  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 93
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by super rey

C:\>adb shell
error: device not found


whats wrong wt this??? please help!

Your device is not detected by the computer. Check the connection and make sure you have the right drivers installed.

If your computer has USB3 ports, this might be a problem. In this situation it seems some people could connect to the phone only through a USB hub.

If all else fails, try with another computer.

...

Also, as a general advice, try to understand what a command means, instead of blindly typing it.
The "echo" commands shouldn't be written at the Windows command prompt, they are meant for the Android command prompt, after you have successfully connected to the phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to W60 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift W60 Ad-Free
24th December 2015, 11:14 PM |#30  
Member
Thanks Meter: 24
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmoecke

Thank you, I had no clue how, but my phone's (MUCH Snail, aka MUCH W1, aka MUCH 78P01) manufacturer (China's Snail Mobile) had removed from Android's Developer Options menu the option to Enable/Disable USB Debugging.

I was looking all over the web for days, this was the only way I could effectively turn on USB debugging in my phone. Thanks!
There's only one difference, instead of performing the above steps from an ADB console window (for obvious reasons) I did it with Build.prop Editor, but first I needed to change permissions to 666 on the default.prop file (otherwise it wouldn't save my changes).

Curiously, every time I do a full reboot the default.prop file somehow is overwritten with the manufacturer's original settings - that doesn't happen when I soft reboot my device though. Any clues as to what could be reversing my changes at boot?

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______
To anyone else having issues getting Debug on the Snail W1, another way to do it would be to install Qihu 360 (Chinese Mobile Assistant app) and open it. Once open, press Back. There will be a menu that pops up. It will be in Chinese, but look for the option that has "USB" in the description. Tick this option and USB Debugging is enabled on the device. You can now uninstall the Qihu 360 app.

Source: http://manguiro.blogspot.com/2015/03...go-78dian.html
4th February 2016, 12:33 AM |#31  
bBigBrO's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag 404 Not Found
Thanks Meter: 61
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by avro.bd

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
(c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>adb shell
'adb' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Windows\system32>su
'su' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Windows\system32>mount -o remount,rw /system
'mount' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Windows\system32>cd /

C:\>echo "persist.service.adb.enable=1" >> default.prop

C:\>echo "persist.service.debuggable=1" >> default.prop

C:\>echo "persist.sys.usb.config=mtp,adb" >> default.prop

C:\>echo "persist.service.adb.enable=1" >> /system/build.prop
The system cannot find the path specified.

C:\>echo "persist.service.debuggable=1" >> /system/build.prop
The system cannot find the path specified.

C:\>echo "persist.sys.usb.config=mtp,adb" >> /system/build.prop
The system cannot find the path specified.

C:\>
Getting this on S$..any1 here to help me!

Errr... you do not even seem to have ADB installed... try this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=48915118
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes