[Q] couple of questions.

Search This thread

UndisputedGuy

Dec 13, 2011
1.i already have an xperia play and we have 2 laptops at home as well as a desktop pc so would any of you think that it would be suitable for me to buy this eeepad?
2. should i rather wait for the eepad transformer prime infinity 4g/3g? is it significantly better?
3. Similar to other android devices, does this require unlocking/rooting to enhance the experience or is it sufficient enough out of the box?
4. can this replace a laptop? As in, work in the same way, allow me to use msn and access websites with ease (and speed)?
5.would it be possible to use my xperia play's gamepad whilst playing the game on the transformer prime?
6. would i be better off waiting for a windows tablet? they look gooood.
Thanks

Last edited:

jacobrv

Jan 26, 2010
Spokane, WA
There is a lot of opinion being asked here. But here is my opinion.

1) I have a beast of a laptop that acts mostly as a desktop. I have a desktop at work. I have a Droid Bionic. I have a Vita and 3DS. But I still find the Transformer Prime has it's specific uses. This will vary wildly from person to person. I don't think I would be any worse off for not having the Prime, but I do like having it.

2) I don't want to pay for another data plan, so I wouldn't wait for a 3g/4g one. Now the 1080p one, maybe I would wait for that. You know, if you're into waiting.

3) I have mine rooted, but other than that it's stock. There is a bootloader unlock too, although it still leaves a tiny but locked. I find the speed is fine, but unlocking/rooting can give features, not just speed.

4) Yes you can do most web browsing, including web-mail and even some flash sites. But to be honest, the experience is still just not up to par with a laptop. The browser is pretty good, but not quite chrome. The office apps are usable, but nowhere near as nice as MS Office. Video/music apps, ok those are mostly better than desktop ones. But really, it's not a laptop. Now, if you don't need a laptop, then great. I mean, I use my prime at school instead of a laptop and I'm a computer science master's student.

5) Probably not. At least not easily. You can however plug in an xbox 360 or ps3 controller if you have the keyboard dock or the special usb adapter.

6) Windows 8 on ARM is looking pretty promising, but once again, do you like waiting?

All in all, if you really feel you need a tablet right now and you have disposable income, then just buy one. Pick a tegra 3 you like and go with it. I like my prime despite some of the problems. But if you are iffy, then it's probably not a good time to buy one. Wait until you absolutely feel have to have one. Wait until you find something that excites you. Don't just buy one because everyone else is.

Last edited:

UndisputedGuy

Dec 13, 2011

1) I have a beast of a laptop that acts mostly as a desktop. I have a desktop at work. I have a Droid Bionic. I have a Vita and 3DS. But I still find the Transformer Prime has it's specific uses. This will vary wildly from person to person. I don't think I would be any worse off for not having the Prime, but I do like having it.

2) I don't want to pay for another data plan, so I wouldn't wait for a 3g/4g one. Now the 1080p one, maybe I would wait for that. You know, if you're into waiting.

3) I have mine rooted, but other than that it's stock. There is a bootloader unlock too, although it still leaves a tiny but locked. I find the speed is fine, but unlocking/rooting can give features, not just speed.

4) Yes you can do most web browsing, including web-mail and even some flash sites. But to be honest, the experience is still just not up to par with a laptop. The browser is pretty good, but not quite chrome. The office apps are usable, but nowhere near as nice as MS Office. Video/music apps, ok those are mostly better than desktop ones. But really, it's not a laptop. Now, if you don't need a laptop, then great. I mean, I use my prime at school instead of a laptop and I'm a computer science master's student.

5) Probably not. At least not easily. You can however plug in an xbox 360 or ps3 controller if you have the keyboard dock or the special usb adapter.

6) Windows 8 on ARM is looking pretty promising, but once again, do you like waiting?

All in all, if you really feel you need a tablet right now and you have disposable income, then just buy one. Pick a tegra 3 you like and go with it. I like my prime despite some of the problems. But if you are iffy, then it's probably not a good time to buy one. Wait until you absolutely feel have to have one. Wait until you find ething that excites you. Don't just buy one because everyone else is.

Thanks a lot, I'm not too picky but just wanted one as a laptop substitute kind of thing which would replace the need for a laptop. I don't use a laptop for much with the exception of the occasional word document, going on to MSN and some casual browsing (albeit with many tabs). Is it suitable in this case?

Sent from my R800i using XDA

nhshah7

Feb 14, 2009
Boston
Thanks a lot, I'm not too picky but just wanted one as a laptop substitute kind of thing which would replace the need for a laptop. I don't use a laptop for much with the exception of the occasional word document, going on to MSN and some casual browsing (albeit with many tabs). Is it suitable in this case?

Yessir. It's great for casual browsing, emailing, etc. The dock is phenomenal. Lasts longer than my laptop too, unless I use super super power saving mode.

Just an FYI, this should have been posted in the Q/A section of the prime forum.

Reactions: UndisputedGuy

UndisputedGuy

Dec 13, 2011
Yessir. It's great for casual browsing, emailing, etc. The dock is phenomenal. Lasts longer than my laptop too, unless I use super super power saving mode.

Just an FYI, this should have been posted in the Q/A section of the prime forum.

Thanks, I guess I dont want to be underwhelmed after shelling out quite a lot if money. I basically want it as a laptop but the tablet factor and all that is too cool. Any other limitations?

nhshah7

Feb 14, 2009
Boston
Thanks, I guess I dont want to be underwhelmed after shelling out quite a lot if money. I basically want it as a laptop but the tablet factor and all that is too cool. Any other limitations?

Not really. Its only really limitations due to the android ecosystem if anything. If casual browsing and emailing is your main concern, this will be great.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using XDA Premium HD app

UndisputedGuy

Dec 13, 2011
How does MSN work on the prime though? I mean, doesn't it only handle one application at once? And please tell me what could make it better than a laptop . Thanks again

nhshah7

Feb 14, 2009
Boston
How does MSN work on the prime though? I mean, doesn't it only handle one application at once? And please tell me what could make it better than a laptop . Thanks again

Honestly, it works fine. And yes, like any tablet, it really only runs one application at a time but you can have many more open in the background and switch back and forth. That's really easy.

As for making it better than a laptop, there's no answer to this question. Pick one up, try it out, and see if it works for you.

HydroSkillet

Mar 14, 2012
DFW
It's no laptop nor will it ever be a laptop it's a tablet. Just like an iPad galaxy tab or any other tablet. That being said it's an awesome tablet and took the place in many ways of my laptop.

If u buy one save the receipt. If you don't like it or it's not right for you take it back.

UndisputedGuy

Dec 13, 2011
I know I'm bringing back a dead thread but I have some more questions.
1. Do you think tegra 3 will become dated quite soon ( due to the new chip in iPad3)
2. Whicy type of websites cant I go on?
3. Do you think it's copable and sufficient to be using it as a laptop but only being able to do one thing at a time?
4. When does the infinity release? Will the prime receive a price drop after this?
Thanks

nhshah7

Feb 14, 2009
Boston
I know I'm bringing back a dead thread but I have some more questions.
1. Do you think tegra 3 will become dated quite soon ( due to the new chip in iPad3)
2. Whicy type of websites cant I go on?
3. Do you think it's copable and sufficient to be using it as a laptop but only being able to do one thing at a time?
4. When does the infinity release? Will the prime receive a price drop after this?
Thanks

1. no, the tegra 3 > a5x. the a5x is an enhanced dual core. teh ipad's strength is in the quad core GPU. Tegra 3 is solid and is only in one tablet so far that has been released. It's got a solid future!
2. Ummmm, java or flash heavy sites would be tough ,but dif browsers have dif strengths and weaknesses. I can't really say which sites don't work, try it out!
3. Yes, it's cut down on my procrastination and distractions 10-fold. Really this is person specific and depends on waht you need it for. some things are easier on the laptop but this is truly specific to the tasks you do on it.
4. Probably sometime in the late spring early summer. Maybe in June? As for hte price drop, ask Asus...no one knows for sure.

UndisputedGuy

Dec 13, 2011
Thanks again.
Is it possible to play flash games?
Is there any other factor which hinders it from being on par with a laptop?

nhshah7

Feb 14, 2009
Boston
Thanks again.
Is it possible to play flash games?
Is there any other factor which hinders it from being on par with a laptop?

Seriously, man. You're asking so many questions that are specific to you and your wants. Android has limitations. Flash games are nearly impossible to play on any tablet.

As for the second questions, you really just need to try it out for yourself. Ie I can't do professional video editing on here. I can't use a USB TV tuner to watch TV on here. These limitations are specific to me.

I don't mind helping you and answering your questions, but your questions can best be answered by buying the prime from somewhere that has a good (ie 30 day) return policy. Keep the receipt and return it if it doesn't work for you.

I'm sorry I can't help more, but you should really just go for it. I'm in love with my prime as are most of the people here. Give it a go!

Good luck :)

UndisputedGuy

Dec 13, 2011
I aim to make this my last question, why did YOU buy the transformer prime? Was it just the cool factor? Why not get a notebook/laptop instead? Do you regret the purchase? This question is open to everyone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

All in all, if you really feel you need a tablet right now and you have disposable income, then just buy one. Pick a tegra 3 you like and go with it. I like my prime despite some of the problems. But if you are iffy, then it's probably not a good time to buy one. Wait until you absolutely feel have to have one. Wait until you find something that excites you. Don't just buy one because everyone else is.

Not really. Its only really limitations due to the android ecosystem if anything. If casual browsing and emailing is your main concern, this will be great.

Honestly, it works fine. And yes, like any tablet, it really only runs one application at a time but you can have many more open in the background and switch back and forth. That's really easy.

As for making it better than a laptop, there's no answer to this question. Pick one up, try it out, and see if it works for you.

It's no laptop nor will it ever be a laptop it's a tablet. Just like an iPad galaxy tab or any other tablet. That being said it's an awesome tablet and took the place in many ways of my laptop.

If u buy one save the receipt. If you don't like it or it's not right for you take it back.