[GUIDE][GBtoICS]FOR INTERNATIONAL/ASIAN VERSION/UNBRANDED Amaze Owners-Read1st

Search This thread

aj_2423

Sep 21, 2010
Sacramento, Ca
*****Disclaimer: As always, though there is little risk in doing this, if you turn your device into a building material (brick), blow it up, or it vanishes in thin air, I will not be responsible*****

****IF YOU HAVE AN UNBRANDED aka ASIA VERSION aka Factory Unlocked HTC AMAZE, PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE THREAD BEFORE DOING ANYTHING TO YOUR PHONE. MAKE SURE TO READ THE FIRST & SECOND POST****

***The following is a brief description of the very common scenario that most new users with the Unbranded unit have encountered lately. Please read it now so you can hopefully avoid going through it in the future***

**SO, you got yourself an HTC AMAZE 4G that is UNBRANDED (also referred to as INTERNATIONAL VERSION, ASIA VERSION, Carrier-free, or Factory Unlocked) Congratulations! And welcome to our forum..
Now, if you haven't noticed yet, the Unbranded Amaze comes with stock Gingerbread (GB) as the Android OS. So you look and see that IceCreamSandwich (ICS) was officially released by HTC for the amaze. SO of course you go straight to settings>about phone>update, your so excited to get ICS on your new Amaze, THEN BAM!! Your phone says everything is currently up to date. But how? GUESS WHAT, THERE IS NO OFFICIAL ICS BUILD FOR THE UNBRANDED AMAZE.. Soo THEN you maybe do a little research and learn you can manually flash an ICS RUU to your phone, you just need to find the RUU for your carrier.. BUT wait, oh no, you don't have a Carrier so there is no RUU. THIS is when most people make a common MISTAKE. They decide to Unlock the bootloader an their phone, flash a Custom Recovery, and then flash a custom ICS Rom and think it will be Fine, but when they try to turn on the phone it just get's stuck on the boot logo.. Now begins the freaking out, the obsessive duplicate thread creating, such as "HELP Trying to get ICS on my unbranded Amaze" or "Flashed Custom ICS rom on my Unbranded Amaze running GB 2.3 now phone is stuck on boot logo IF YOUR PHONE IS ON GB, YOU CAN NOT FLASH A CUSTOM ICS ROM UNTIL YOU HAVE FLASHED THE ICS RUU OR FIRMWARE PACKAGE. UNFORTUNATELY, YOU CAN NOT FLASH AN ICS RUU ON AN UNBRANDED AMAZE UNTIL YOU HAVE FOLLOWED THE STEPS IN THE GUIDE BELOW!
ENJOY**

*[GUIDE] Now, i will explain step-by-step how to MANUALLY upgrade from GB to ICS on an UNBRANDED Amaze, and hopefully avoid the headache others are facing.

1.) Make sure you have required HTC drivers installed
2.) Download Hasoon's All-In-One Toolkit
3.) Unlock your bootloader through htcdev.com (hasoon's toolkit can help)
4.) Now perform S-Off. You have to be on Stock Ruu to perform S-OFF, so best to do it now while you are still on stock
5.) Once you successfully S-OFF your device, you will then need to SuperCID your device
6.) When your device is S-Off and has SuperCID, you can then download this Amaze_ICS_RUU ..Rename the RUU to PH85IMG.zip and place it on the root of your EXTERNAL SDcard. Once this file is on the SDcard, do a battery pull, then turn the device back on while holding down the VOLUME DOWN button. it will prompt you to install, select yes and YAY, you will now be on ICS.
7.) Take the PH85IMG of the RUU off of your SDcard, and then put this PH85IMG of HBOOT on to the SDcard. Repeat the same instructions as step 6 to flash this IMG.
8.) Congratulations, you now have stock ICS. If you would like to flash custom ICS or JB roms, continue with steps 9 & 10

9.) Finally, Use Hasoon's toolkit to, Flash 4EXT Recovery AND
10.) Then to flash supersu.zip to gain root (also done using hasoons toolkit)

OH AND ALSO, you weren't thinking about creating a new thread asking anything about this topic were you? I hope not, seeing as all these people already did. these were all found only on pages 1-6!!! I didnt even have to use the search feature...
GB to ICS
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2025408
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2157734
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2159143
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2151665
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2142206
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2152425
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1916375
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2133993
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2137736
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1742911
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2118519

BOOTLOOP
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2146273
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2124234
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2119996

Last edited:

aj_2423

Sep 21, 2010
Sacramento, Ca
If you have already made the mistake of unlocking and trying to flash an ICS rom while still on GB, you can do the following to get back to GB and have a working device.

ATTENTION - Before continuing past this point, You must first have 4ext installed as your recovery if the device is S-Off.(you can use hasoons AIO toolkit to do this.) Once you have 4ext flashed, boot into recovery and in the settings Enable Smartflash
1) Download this GB rom
2) Next, Place the the downloaded file on your sd card.
3) Now Boot into 4ext recovery (battery pull, then start phone while holding down the power+VolumeDown buttons simultaneously).
4) Once in recovery, go to the Wipe/Format section and select "Format all partitions except SDcard"
5) Finally, after formating completes, verify that you have SmartFlash enabled & then flash the Rom you just downloaded from above..
Once this is complete, you should once again have a working device.

Please use this thread for any related questions/comments you may have so we can try and keep the forums a little more organized and clean. THANK YOU

*********************&*******************
Hopefully this will help reduce the duplicate threads

Last edited:

Double0EK

May 13, 2010
Re: [guide] attention unbranded / asia version amaze owners, read this 1st

Buwahahahaha! You took my idea!!!! I wasn't really gonna do it. But glad you took the time to. It's sad to see how many threads were created that asked the SAME Question over and over again. I literally start yelling at my screen at all the same questions.

freakboy13

Sep 15, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra

This should be stickied. Damn dude nice job, and well put together..especially the links! :rolleyes:

Sent from my SGH-I747 using
:thumbdown: Crapatalk fail app 2 :thumbdown:
..........................n
@tapatalk ---> nl lnn
........................P__uu

aj_2423

Sep 21, 2010
Sacramento, Ca

Buwahahahaha! You took my idea!!!! I wasn't really gonna do it. But glad you took the time to. It's sad to see how many threads were created that asked the SAME Question over and over again. I literally start yelling at my screen at all the same questions.

Lmao, I bet you there's been times where we were both on our computer or phone looking at the same thread and yelling at our screens because its like the 5th thread asking the same damn thing haha

sent from my
NRGized amaze
powered by Faux

aj_2423

Sep 21, 2010
Sacramento, Ca

so after that........ can i install custom kernel on my asian amaze..... well.. i guess i can because the bootloader is unlocked......

Sent from my Xperia Live with Walkman using Tapatalk 2

Yes, once all of the steps have been completed the it will also be to flash custom ics kernels

sent from my
NRGized amaze
powered by Faux

freakboy13

Sep 15, 2010

And my asian brothas dont forget after you use the best part of the amaze...
(the camera!!! )
Post your awesome pics here :

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1903437

Sent from my SGH-I747 using
:thumbdown: Crapatalk fail app 2 :thumbdown:
..........................n
@tapatalk ---> nl lnn
........................P__uu

Last edited:

boredadg

Mar 1, 2013
Thank god you just saved my money! I was just going to buy it but fortunately I read your thread. Thanks to you.:good:

Reactions: aj_2423

abhishekindia

Mar 4, 2013
Hi,

I am not so computer wizard, this seems to way ahead my mind.

Can I get simple way to update my HTC Amaze.

Will the File from htcdev not help.

shami81

Nov 25, 2012
Xiaomi Mi 8 Lite
Done the Mistake? now what to do?

Hi there,
I have done the same mistake that is mentioned in the start of this post. I have unlocked the bootloader. Flashed the custom 4EXT recovery and without doing the S-OFF thing (pardon me for doing this) but i tried to install the CM 10 ruby NIGHLTY rom. At first my mobile (Htc Amaze 4G) stuck during boot at the white htc screen. I then read many posts but none of them help as i am totally a newbee on this issue. Then I some who came to know that I must have not wiped out the previous data due to which this problem has occurred. So i went to wipe through the recovery and wiped Cache, Delvik Cache, performed system wipe and finally the factory reset. Then i rebooted the phone in recovery mode and flashed the CM10 rom. To my surprise it installed completely and when i rebooted the phone it booted up quite normally with Cyanogen mod ROM but stuck into a boot start loop. Moreover the gsm did not work on it. Please Help from here when i dont have my stock ROM in back up so really need you help please.

aj_2423

Sep 21, 2010
Sacramento, Ca
Re: [GUIDE][GBtoICS] ATTENTION UNBRANDED/ASIA VERSION/INTERNATIONAL amaze owners read

Hi there,
I have done the same mistake that is mentioned in the start of this post. I have unlocked the bootloader. Flashed the custom 4EXT recovery and without doing the S-OFF thing (pardon me for doing this) but i tried to install the CM 10 ruby NIGHLTY rom. At first my mobile (Htc Amaze 4G) stuck during boot at the white htc screen. I then read many posts but none of them help as i am totally a newbee on this issue. Then I some who came to know that I must have not wiped out the previous data due to which this problem has occurred. So i went to wipe through the recovery and wiped Cache, Delvik Cache, performed system wipe and finally the factory reset. Then i rebooted the phone in recovery mode and flashed the CM10 rom. To my surprise it installed completely and when i rebooted the phone it booted up quite normally with Cyanogen mod ROM but stuck into a boot start loop. Moreover the gsm did not work on it. Please Help from here when i dont have my stock ROM in back up so really need you help please.

Please refer to post 2 to make your device useable again. You can not use any ICS Rom or higher if your device is still on GB. Period. No other solutions, no workarounds. You must first flash an official ICS RUU to update the firmware.

Reactions: shami81

shami81

Nov 25, 2012
Xiaomi Mi 8 Lite
Problems in wiping data

Please refer to post 2 to make your device useable again. You can not use any ICS Rom or higher if your device is still on GB. Period. No other solutions, no workarounds. You must first flash an official ICS RUU to update the firmware.

Hi, aj_2423,
I have followed the instructions that you gave in post # 2. I have 4EXT as my custom recovery. I have SMART EXT FLASH enabled but when i tried to use the command "format all partitions (except sdcard)" i noticed that there is an error which said

"Error mounting /sdcard/.android_secure!
Skipping format...
Data wipe complete.
All partitions formatted."

I just want to ask that is this normal or i have to do something else to remove this problem.

Best Regards
Ehtisham Safdar.

Last edited:

freakboy13

Sep 15, 2010
Re: [GUIDE][GBtoICS] ATTENTION UNBRANDED/ASIA VERSION/INTERNATIONAL amaze owners read

Hi the first thing you should do is take some time and READ the steps above first. Also i think youtube has videos you can watch.
Just type in 'htc amaze root' or something.
Dont worry if its not "your type" of amaze...they are all the same except fr the ruu and radios, just become familiar.
Build some confidence come back and follow the steps.
Honestly its not that hard and once you are comfortable its easy actually. Read through some of the other steps even though it doesnt relate to your type of amaze. Im sure aj wil chime in but read up first!!! Hasoons kit really simplifies stuff.
Again reas EVEYTHING THROUGH FIRST lol youll save your self hadaches later.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using xda premium

Reactions: shami81 and aj_2423

shami81

Nov 25, 2012
Xiaomi Mi 8 Lite
I am back on Gingerbread. All Credit goes to Aj :)

Hi the first thing you should do is take some time and READ the steps above first. Also i think youtube has videos you can watch.
Just type in 'htc amaze root' or something.
Dont worry if its not "your type" of amaze...they are all the same except fr the ruu and radios, just become familiar.
Build some confidence come back and follow the steps.

Hi, freakboy13,
I am thankful to you and specially to aj because i am back on gingerbread now and its running just like before. So many thanks to you aj for starting this thread and helping the noobs like me ;). I will now follow your instructions definitely and will shift to CM10 as soon as possible. Will let you know after doing that too.

once again thanks man.

Best Regards.
Ehtisham Safdar.
Islamabad Pakistan.
0344-5537028.

Reactions: aj_2423

mujju85

Mar 13, 2011
mumbai
Samsung Galaxy S10+
Realme 7
HI aj_2423

Thanks for ur nice tut i wil try at evening i have one question after doing this can i install any custom rom which is available in develop section i think all rom is based on T-mobile firmware so will this effect to network locked or any other issue ? :confused:

shami81

Nov 25, 2012
Xiaomi Mi 8 Lite
Windows 7, 64 bit issue for S-OFF

****IF YOU HAVE AN UNBRANDED aka ASIA VERSION aka Factory Unlocked HTC AMAZE, PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE THREAD BEFORE DOING ANYTHING TO YOUR PHONE. MAKE SURE TO READ THE FIRST & SECOND POST****

***The following is a brief description of the very common scenario that most new users with the Unbranded unit have encountered lately. Please read it now so you can hopefully avoid going through it in the future***

**SO, you got yourself an HTC AMAZE 4G that is UNBRANDED (also referred to as INTERNATIONAL VERSION, ASIA VERSION, Carrier-free, or Factory Unlocked) Congratulations! And welcome to our forum..
Now, if you haven't noticed yet, the Unbranded Amaze comes with stock Gingerbread (GB) as the Android OS. So you look and see that IceCreamSandwich (ICS) was officially released by HTC for the amaze. SO of course you go straight to settings>about phone>update, your so excited to get ICS on your new Amaze, THEN BAM!! Your phone says everything is currently up to date. But how? GUESS WHAT, THERE IS NO OFFICIAL ICS BUILD FOR THE UNBRANDED AMAZE.. Soo THEN you maybe do a little research and learn you can manually flash an ICS RUU to your phone, you just need to find the RUU for your carrier.. BUT wait, oh no, you don't have a Carrier so there is no RUU. THIS is when most people make a common MISTAKE. They decide to Unlock the bootloader an their phone, flash a Custom Recovery, and then flash a custom ICS Rom and think it will be Fine, but when they try to turn on the phone it just get's stuck on the boot logo.. Now begins the freaking out, the obsessive duplicate thread creating, such as "HELP Trying to get ICS on my unbranded Amaze" or "Flashed Custom ICS rom on my Unbranded Amaze running GB 2.3 now phone is stuck on boot logo IF YOUR PHONE IS ON GB, YOU CAN NOT FLASH A CUSTOM ICS ROM UNTIL YOU HAVE FLASHED THE ICS RUU OR FIRMWARE PACKAGE. UNFORTUNATELY, YOU CAN NOT FLASH AN ICS RUU ON AN UNBRANDED AMAZE UNTIL YOU HAVE FOLLOWED THE STEPS IN THE GUIDE BELOW!
ENJOY**

*[GUIDE] Now, i will explain step-by-step how to MANUALLY upgrade from GB to ICS on an UNBRANDED Amaze, and hopefully avoid the headache others are facing.

4.) You have to be on Stock Ruu to perform S-OFF, so best to do it now while you are still on stock
5.) Once you successfully S-OFF your device, you will then need to SuperCID your device
6.) When your device is S-Off and has SuperCID, you can then download this Amaze_ICS_RUU ..Rename the RUU to PH85IMG.zip and place it on the root of your EXTERNAL SDcard. Once this file is on the SDcard, do a battery pull, then turn the device back on while holding down the VOLUME DOWN button. it will prompt you to install, select yes and YAY, you will now be on ICS.
7.) Take the PH85IMG of the RUU off of your SDcard, and then put this PH85IMG of HBOOT on to the SDcard. Repeat the same instructions as step 6 to flash this IMG.
7.) Finally, Use Hasoon's toolkit to, Flash 4EXT Recovery. Then to flash supersu.zip to gain root.
8.) Now you have stock ics and can keep as is, or you can fflash a custom ICS rom /QUOTE]

I am running windows 7 64 bit version but the website for doing S-OFF procedure states that they only support windows 32 bit versions. So now what i understand from here that the only solution for me to get the S-OFF is to install the windows 32 bit version and then do the process. Please tell me is there any other solution possible?

mawais15

Jul 3, 2012
i've successfully installed ICS on my asian amaze. now i want root access, how can i do that?

the procedure says install supersu.zip but where to find that file?

Thanks for such nice thread.

aj_2423

Sep 21, 2010
Sacramento, Ca

I am running windows 7 64 bit version but the website for doing S-OFF procedure states that they only support windows 32 bit versions. So now what i understand from here that the only solution for me to get the S-OFF is to install the windows 32 bit version and then do the process. Please tell me is there any other solution possible?

I s-off'd my device using a 64 bit no problem. So did a few others here.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    *****Disclaimer: As always, though there is little risk in doing this, if you turn your device into a building material (brick), blow it up, or it vanishes in thin air, I will not be responsible*****

ENJOY**

4.) Now perform S-Off. You have to be on Stock Ruu to perform S-OFF, so best to do it now while you are still on stock
    8.) Congratulations, you now have stock ICS. If you would like to flash custom ICS or JB roms, continue with steps 9 & 10

9.) Finally, Use Hasoon's toolkit to, Flash 4EXT Recovery AND
    10.) Then to flash supersu.zip to gain root (also done using hasoons toolkit)

OH AND ALSO, you weren't thinking about creating a new thread asking anything about this topic were you? I hope not, seeing as all these people already did. these were all found only on pages 1-6!!! I didnt even have to use the search feature...
    GB to ICS
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2025408
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2157734
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2159143
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2151665
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2142206
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2152425
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1916375
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2133993
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2137736
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1742911
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2118519

BOOTLOOP
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2146273
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2124234
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2119996
    If you have already made the mistake of unlocking and trying to flash an ICS rom while still on GB, you can do the following to get back to GB and have a working device.

ATTENTION - Before continuing past this point, You must first have 4ext installed as your recovery if the device is S-Off.(you can use hasoons AIO toolkit to do this.) Once you have 4ext flashed, boot into recovery and in the settings Enable Smartflash
    1) Download this GB rom
    2) Next, Place the the downloaded file on your sd card.
    3) Now Boot into 4ext recovery (battery pull, then start phone while holding down the power+VolumeDown buttons simultaneously).
    4) Once in recovery, go to the Wipe/Format section and select "Format all partitions except SDcard"
    5) Finally, after formating completes, verify that you have SmartFlash enabled & then flash the Rom you just downloaded from above..
    Once this is complete, you should once again have a working device.

Please use this thread for any related questions/comments you may have so we can try and keep the forums a little more organized and clean. THANK YOU

*********************&*******************
    Hopefully this will help reduce the duplicate threads

so after that........ can i install custom kernel on my asian amaze..... well.. i guess i can because the bootloader is unlocked......

Sent from my Xperia Live with Walkman using Tapatalk 2

Yes, once all of the steps have been completed the it will also be to flash custom ics kernels

sent from my
    NRGized amaze