Thanks Meter: 914

By scandiun, XDA Ad-Free Senior Member on 24th November 2012, 10:51 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
5th February 2013, 10:06 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandiun

2) Extract the contents of the tar archive. This should be done on a filesystem where the permissions of the files inside the tar are preserved, for example using linux, mac or bsd. Up to two folders may appear, apps and shared:

Code:
tar -xvf nexus7.tar

Hi,

I'd like to try this out on a Windows 7 (virtual) machine. All software installed an clear what to do. But how do I manage to preserve the file permissions? Does Cygwin take care of that?

Thanks

5th February 2013, 11:51 PM |#12  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttv

Hi,

I'd like to try this out on a Windows 7 (virtual) machine. All software installed an clear what to do. But how do I manage to preserve the file permissions? Does Cygwin take care of that?

Thanks

You can't preserve the exact permissions because of the operating system and the filesystem. While permissions will be somewhat similar the owner will change completely. While android has the owner encoded by a number windows will use your windows username. I made simple modifications of backups on windows and luckily worked, but of course can't promise you that will apply for all the cases.

If you know how to use virtual machines, why just don't use linux / unix? For example if you use PC-BSD or Linux Mint you can download directly the Virtualbox image and then share a folder or use ftp server.

http://virtualboximages.com/LinuxMin...tual+Appliance
6th February 2013, 07:53 AM |#13  

More
Quote:

If you know how to use virtual machines, why just don't use linux / unix? For example if you use PC-BSD or Linux Mint you can download directly the Virtualbox image and then share a folder or use ftp server.

http://virtualboximages.com/LinuxMin...tual+Appliance

Thanks for the answer.

I didn't understand the bit about sharing a folder on Unix before, but now I think it clicks.... The Linux/Unix VM is only used to share a folder in which I can extract the Android backup from my Windows machine right? So that way I can still use the installed software and drivers for my Nexus 4 on the Windows machine. Do I understand this correctly?
If that's the case I am going to try right away. Otherwise I have to make the Nexus 4 software installation work on the Unix/Linux VM and that will take a lot more time I think.....
6th February 2013, 12:00 PM |#14  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttv

Thanks for the answer.

I didn't understand the bit about sharing a folder on Unix before, but now I think it clicks.... The Linux/Unix VM is only used to share a folder in which I can extract the Android backup from my Windows machine right? So that way I can still use the installed software and drivers for my Nexus 4 on the Windows machine. Do I understand this correctly?
If that's the case I am going to try right away. Otherwise I have to make the Nexus 4 software installation work on the Unix/Linux VM and that will take a lot more time I think.....

Yes, I mean to access from linux the folder you share in windows, but then remember to copy the backup inside linux to extract it there, to preserve permissions.
You have the option to share folders in Virtualbox and VMWare Workstation. In case you use virtualbox, make sure the guest has Guest Additions installed. Some virtualbox images already come with it.

11th February 2013, 02:09 AM |#15  

More
Well I got the java command to work, but now the "cat" command will not work? Your link to add java to the path worked for the latter, but how do I get 'cat' to work?
11th February 2013, 06:29 AM |#16  
OP Senior Member

More
Re: [GUIDE] How to extract, create or edit android adb backups
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAhrens

Well I got the java command to work, but now the "cat" command will not work? Your link to add java to the path worked for the latter, but how do I get 'cat' to work?

What exact error are you getting?
11th February 2013, 01:46 PM |#17  

More
Quote:

What exact error are you getting?

"Cat is not an internal or external command"
11th February 2013, 03:32 PM |#18  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAhrens

"Cat is not an internal or external command"

What shell are you using? cat is included on any default linux installation.
11th February 2013, 08:38 PM |#19  

More
Quote:

What shell are you using? cat is included on any default linux installation.

Windows 8
11th February 2013, 09:12 PM |#20  
OP Senior Member

More
Re: [GUIDE] How to extract, create or edit android adb backups
On Cygwin you have cat and the other utilities you have to install them from the setup.
11th February 2013, 10:55 PM |#21  

More
Quote:

On Cygwin you have cat and the other utilities you have to install them from the setup.

I thought I did, as the tar command works fine. I think cygwin installed them all, but I will check.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread