[TUTORIAL]How to Customize your Status Bar Icons!!!

Search This thread

mozman

May 16, 2010
New Jersey
If we flash a new rom or an update to an existing rom, will we need to reapply all of the mods done to the SystemUI.apk and other apps? If so then seems like we should save a backup. Correct?

Sent from my EVO 3D

mazook98

Sep 23, 2010
If we flash a new rom or an update to an existing rom, will we need to reapply all of the mods done to the SystemUI.apk and other apps? If so then seems like we should save a backup. Correct?

Sent from my EVO 3D

To be sure, but I would think twice about just copy/paste-ing if you're going between completely different ROMs...

Sent from my Evo³d

K

knowledge561

Makes sense. Crazy thing is we take the time to do these mods and if we lose them on a rom update then we have to start over again....

Sent from my EVO 3D

The easiest way to do it is to save the icons once you rename them to a folder on your pc. They will be your backups. Once you switch Roms, you can drag the icons to the new apks. That's what I do. I have a specific folder for all of my custom icons and whenever I update my Rom, I drag the icons to the new apks with them.

mazook98

Sep 23, 2010
Makes sense. Crazy thing is we take the time to do these mods and if we lose them on a rom update then we have to start over again....

Sent from my EVO 3D

I've used them again successfully after a rom UPDATE, but I just wouldn't think of trying it in a completely different one. If whichever rom you're updating didn't alter the SystemUI.apk, or the framework.res.apk, you would still be golden. On the other hand, if the update had a new battery mod or whatever, then you'd simply lose that when you replaced it yours from before the update. I guess the question would be which is more important to you?
Hope that made sense.

Sent from my Evo³d

Skyphos

Apr 15, 2011
Ft. Knox, KY
"The preferred size is 38x38, 40x42 (pixels)"

Is that either or? I'm hoping to have time to mod mine up tonight!

Thanks for the tutorial (and yes i thank'd via button). Only thing i would have mentioned is a NAND prior to starting in...since its so noob friendly i bet someone will find a way to mess it up and not have done a nand XD

Last edited:
K

knowledge561

"The preferred size is 38x38, 40x42"

Is that either or? I'm hoping to have time to mod mine up tonight!

Thanks for the tutorial. Only thing i would have mentioned is a NAND prior to starting in...since its so noob friendly i bet someone will find a way to mess it up and not have done a nand XD
Yes, either or will work. lol If someone messes up this tutorial, there not worthy of a nand. Its so noob friendly, its ridiculous.

Coffee and Hip-Hop!!!

javi_06

Sep 23, 2010
Kansas City
Just for clarification, if I want to replace just the status bar background png on the rom Im currently running, can I go the root explorer way and basically swap png's from systemUI.apk?

Skyphos

Apr 15, 2011
Ft. Knox, KY
@knowledge:

Finally got around to doing one tonight and it was TOO easy!

I need to really sit in and think about what i want my new icons to be...I'm going to do them all in due time. The first one I redid was the darn dirty sym_gpsone_3_sprint.png (the no gps on symbol thats a compass with a line through it thats ALWAY THERE annoying the life out of me). I created a 38x38 png thats just a transparent background and pushed that to my phone. I knew it'd still be a drawing there (even though its invisible to the eye its still being called) so i feared somethings may come up to the left of it leaving me with a big gap...testing revealed the only things I could make come up to the left of that were the account sync icon and the headphone jack active one. Not a big deal to not have to see that darn GPS one the other 9/10ths of the time i look at the phone. Im thinking of going back and putting something silly there for S&G's.

A buddy, new to the scene, suggested i try a 1 or 0 px width to fill the gap left by the transparent sym_gpsone_3_sprint but if my prior research tells me right, the image still sits in a container (slightly bigger than the 38pixel image) and if i do set the width to 1 or 0 the container would still retain its actual size so i'd see no benefits. Any input on that?

Also...this is beyond the scope of the thread but....Is there a way to simply tell the O/S not to display gps off status somewhere?

Last edited:
K

knowledge561

@knowledge:

Finally got around to doing one tonight and it was TOO easy!

I need to really sit in and think about what i want my new icons to be...I'm going to do them all in due time. The first one I redid was the darn dirty sym_gpsone_3_sprint.png (the no gps on symbol thats a compass with a line through it thats ALWAY THERE annoying the life out of me). I created a 38x38 png thats just a transparent background and pushed that to my phone. I knew it'd still be a drawing there (even though its invisible to the eye its still being called) so i feared somethings may come up to the left of it leaving me with a big gap...testing revealed the only things I could make come up to the left of that were the account sync icon and the headphone jack active one. Not a big deal to not have to see that darn GPS one the other 9/10ths of the time i look at the phone. Im thinking of going back and putting something silly there for S&G's.

A buddy, new to the scene, suggested i try a 1 or 0 px width to fill the gap left by the transparent sym_gpsone_3_sprint but if my prior research tells me right, the image still sits in a container (slightly bigger than the 38pixel image) and if i do set the width to 1 or 0 the container would still retain its actual size so i'd see no benefits. Any input on that?

Also...this is beyond the scope of the thread but....Is there a way to simply tell the O/S not to display gps off status somewhere?

Actually there is. Search on XDA for SteelH hide icons thread. It shows you how to hide the clock, GPS, alarm, sounds, the whole nine. What ROM are you on?

Coffee and Hip-Hop!!!

bk718

Jun 23, 2007
Charlotte, NC
WOW... wish i had a tutorial this clear back when i started learning how to mod my htc hero... (i used to ask gomorrah a ton of questions back then thru PM)

anyway, great job on this.. it should help tons of people out..

also.. to the person asking about making their status bar transparent or whatever, i suggest using the UOT Kitchen.. as long as ur using Sense, u can bypass all the other mods in the kitchen and just set the status bar to whatever color and level of transparency u want...

K

knowledge561

WOW... wish i had a tutorial this clear back when i started learning how to mod my htc hero... (i used to ask gomorrah a ton of questions back then thru PM)

anyway, great job on this.. it should help tons of people out..

also.. to the person asking about making their status bar transparent or whatever, i suggest using the UOT Kitchen.. as long as ur using Sense, u can bypass all the other mods in the kitchen and just set the status bar to whatever color and level of transparency u want...
Lmfao I used to ask Gomorrah also. I consider him my theming buddy. Alot of people asked me so I decided to make this as easy as possible.

Uhhhh.....ummm.....**Fainted from Signature Fright**

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So you were able to rip open the apk and mod it without using a PC?

Free Dirk!!!

Yeah, I'm lazy like that, and I like avoiding using adb as much as possible, so I try to use Root Explorer whenever possible... another user pm'd me about the process, so I guess I can just copypasta my reply:
    (I originally typed this from work, a bit haphazardly, so I've edited a few lines.)
    mazook98 said:
    Just extract the SystemUI.apk. and or the framework.res.apk with Root Explorer, and replace the .pngs in the files with what you want to, whether you get them off the web, from a screenshot, or an Android image editor...that's your call. ***Be very careful replacing these in their respective home folders, as if you don't have permissions already set perfectly (644), they will force close like crazy. Don't install, simply set back to readonly, reboot into recovery, and then wipe dalvik........

(then, we went a little deeper)

mazook98 said:
    Yes, you can edit .pngs in Canvas if you need to... Then just rename them EXACTLY what the files you are using them as replacement FOR when you put them back in place (this is ALL still in the extracted APK..your "work in progress ")

After you have ALL the ones changed how you want,you'll need to rezip the app with Root explorer.
    Lastly, go to where your newly edited .zip file is, and rename it with a .apk extension, (get rid of the zip extension), and 'bam', it's an app again.

But, (and this is the easiest way i've found to do this.... I'd recommend THIS: MISSPELL the app on purpose, so you can move it back into where it's supposed to be (in /system/app if it's the SystemUI.apk, or in system/framework/ if it's the framework.res.apk) without initially overwriting the original, because that's where you NEED to re-adjust the permissions back to 644.

After THAT, all you have to do is rename it one last time to the correct spelling, and it'll automatically overwrite the original. Don't do anything else, (Don't actually 'install' your new version of the app).

Reset system to read-only right before you exit Root Explorer. You're done now, except a quick boot into recovery, where you just wipe dalvik.

That'll essentially reload ALL the changes you made in your custom versions of the two apps that Knowledge561 was referring to in his OP.
    Hope this helped!

Sent from my Evo³d
    Anyway, that's this lazy guy's workaround using Root Explorer, and no PC. Gimme a sec, and I'll add a Dropbox link to the 'Canvas' app I was referring to, that was initially written for the Notionink Adam tablet. It's not perfect, but it's got a simple interface and it certainly gets the job done.
    EDIT: 'Canvas' is here: http://db.tt/iGvEMeW, if you'd like to try it. :)

Thanks again, Knowledge...this was a verycool thing to learn, if I do say so myself, and it has unlimited possibilities.

Sent from my HTC Evo3D