Atrix HD Beginners Guide

Search This thread

nukesnooper

Jan 21, 2013
Did you search Google? JK

First off, I'm assuming quite a bit of this with problems I've had in the past. I think the problem you're having is a combo of TWRP bugs and internal sd differences between Android versions.

You shouldn't be using TWRP, Philz CWM is the most used recovery we have, is full featured, and will help you get back to having a functional phone for your kid. Normally I'd give a link to the recovery, moto-fastboot flash recovery recovery.img instructions, but MythTools have been updated and include Philz now, so get MythTools 1.3 (you'll find it in the Development forums) and use it to flash Philz.

Once that's done, boot into Philz, go to Advanced, and set the internal sd to use /media/sdcard (not /media/sdcard/0 -- that's for 4.2+ roms); then do a full factory reset and a system wipe (the wipe to a new rom option). From there, go to the format menu and format the internal sd (the /data and /data/media option). After that, go back to fastboot mode on the phone and fire up Myth. Use it to flash a stock rom.

From there you should be able to flash whatever you want. For a kid and gaming, I'd go with stock ICS for the reasons mentioned below. If you do go with a custom rom, stay with Android 4.3 and lower for now. The KitKat roms are all currently a bit hit and miss -- one nightly will work almost flawlessly and the next night you'll throw the phone into a tree....If you want a recommendation for KK, it would be Carbon....PACs great, but the battery life has been crap lately.

JB Mex Retail is the least bloated + most up to date and Bell ICS + TV + game controller, PS3 for me, works as a pretty good game machine for Android games and anything console up to PSX. I recommend Bell over AT&T ICS because it's less bloated and doesn't have any of AT&T's restrictions...though I doubt you're son will be tethering 4G to a PC. Also, with a usb to mini usb adaper you can use a wired (or wireless with some tweaking) Xbox 360 controller with the Atrix HD. This cable should work with the Xbox 360 controller and allow charging -- My lapdock charges and allows using the X360 controller with one of its usb ports (Lapdock only works with ICS) and this is the same, only without a touchpad or keyboard being used over usb-otg.

Post back if this doesn't work and you're still stuck.

Thank you so much!

Actually; my bad... It's NOT TWRP. It is CWM v6.0.2.8, so maybe there's some light at the end of the tunnel. I'll try your suggestions, as well as the ROM downgrade.

Yeah; I Googled it, alright. About 1000 different snake oil salesmen / saleswomen; all with different approaches, etc. I'm sick of watching YouTube, only to wind up feeling like Curly on The Three Stooges!

You sound like the most authoritive on the subject, so I'm going with your suggestions.

Thank you so much, again!

nukesnooper

Jan 21, 2013
Thank you so much!

Actually; my bad... It's NOT TWRP. It is CWM v6.0.2.8, so maybe there's some light at the end of the tunnel. I'll try your suggestions, as well as the ROM downgrade.

Yeah; I Googled it, alright. About 1000 different snake oil salesmen / saleswomen; all with different approaches, etc. I'm sick of watching YouTube, only to wind up feeling like Curly on The Three Stooges!

You sound like the most authoritive on the subject, so I'm going with your suggestions.

Thank you so much, again!

OK; I went home during lunch and installed Myth Tools. Problem is: I can't get my computer to recognize the phone - strong honk when I plug it into the USB port. When I boot into the Motorola boot / recovery; it gives me the "OK" sound when I plug it in, but it immediately boots into CWM and I get the dreaded "BONK!" again - meaning that it's dismounted from my computer.

I tried loading the MythTools.zip file onto the SD card, but CWM won't unzip or flash it. It fails instantly.

Bear in mind that I know little about many of the terms used, so assume that I know nothing - which is pretty much the case.

Your thoughts?

Thanks

skeevydude

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Feb 10, 2012
Hot Springs
OK; I went home during lunch and installed Myth Tools. Problem is: I can't get my computer to recognize the phone - strong honk when I plug it into the USB port. When I boot into the Motorola boot / recovery; it gives me the "OK" sound when I plug it in, but it immediately boots into CWM and I get the dreaded "BONK!" again - meaning that it's dismounted from my computer.

I tried loading the MythTools.zip file onto the SD card, but CWM won't unzip or flash it. It fails instantly.

Bear in mind that I know little about many of the terms used, so assume that I know nothing - which is pretty much the case.

Your thoughts?

Thanks

Unsure of why Windows doesn't detect it properly. All I've done on Windows is use MythTools to go back to stock.

MythTools isn't a flashable zip. It's an interactive PowerShell script for Windows that installs the proper tools, drivers, etc required for flashing stock fastboots as well as custom recoveries. You download it, extract it somewhere, and run it; the only requirement being JDK (Java Development Kit, somewhere on oracle.com...).

The CWM version you're using is pretty old and people were having similar issues as you are now with that CWM and 4.4 roms, especially true with the RAZR HD.

Reactions: nukesnooper

nukesnooper

Jan 21, 2013
Unsure of why Windows doesn't detect it properly. All I've done on Windows is use MythTools to go back to stock.

MythTools isn't a flashable zip. It's an interactive PowerShell script for Windows that installs the proper tools, drivers, etc required for flashing stock fastboots as well as custom recoveries. You download it, extract it somewhere, and run it; the only requirement being JDK (Java Development Kit, somewhere on oracle.com...).

The CWM version you're using is pretty old and people were having similar issues as you are now with that CWM and 4.4 roms, especially true with the RAZR HD.

That's pretty much what I thought, but was willing to give anything a try.

The JDE; I wasn't aware of. I'm downloading it now.

Windows recognizes the phone until it boots to the CWM screen and then gives me the fail. From there; I can go no further. Without being able to access my phone through the computer, I'm pretty much dead in the water. It would appear that whatever solution there is; is going to have to happen via the SD card and being able to flash something through it.

OK. JDE just finished installing. I'll re-try.

---------- Post added at 03:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 PM ----------

Windows recognizes the phone until it boots to the CWM screen and then gives me the fail. From there; I can go no further. Without being able to access my phone through the computer, I'm pretty much dead in the water. It would appear that whatever solution there is; is going to have to happen via the SD card and being able to flash something through it.

You're a God! I finally got it to work. I had to boot into the Motorola Fastboot mode so it would stay locked on the USB drivers. From there; I was able to install the stock AT&T ROM 4.1.1.

At least now; I'm at a baseline to where I can access the phone and use the MythTools to tweak it. I'm staying the hell away from KitKat.

My kids don't have a PS3, but they love to play Minecraft and other standalone games on it. Is there a particular 4.3 ROM that you would recommend? You didn't seem too fond of Pacman, so I'm looking for something that is stable and will do what they need. Bear in mind that I sometimes use this phone as a "throwdown" phone when I'm working in a hostile environment, so I don't want it to just be a "Plain Jane".

OT: I just had KitKat crammed down my throat on my AT&T Samsung S4. I had previously rooted it with Kingo Root, which enabled "Total Recall" phone call recording - which was my only reason for rooting it. It works fine on my Note 3 without root; so I'm going to avoid it being pushed. Do you know of any root method for the S4 on 4.4.2? I've tried several, but have heard that there is no root method for KitKat yet.

Thank you SO MUCH, again!

skeevydude

Feb 10, 2012
Hot Springs

---------- Post added at 03:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 PM ----------

You're a God! I finally got it to work. I had to boot into the Motorola Fastboot mode so it would stay locked on the USB drivers. From there; I was able to install the stock AT&T ROM 4.1.1.

At least now; I'm at a baseline to where I can access the phone and use the MythTools to tweak it. I'm staying the hell away from KitKat.

My kids don't have a PS3, but they love to play Minecraft and other standalone games on it. Is there a particular 4.3 ROM that you would recommend? You didn't seem too fond of Pacman, so I'm looking for something that is stable and will do what they need. Bear in mind that I sometimes use this phone as a "throwdown" phone when I'm working in a hostile environment, so I don't want it to just be a "Plain Jane".

OT: I just had KitKat crammed down my throat on my AT&T Samsung S4. I had previously rooted it with Kingo Root, which enabled "Total Recall" phone call recording - which was my only reason for rooting it. It works fine on my Note 3 without root; so I'm going to avoid it being pushed. Do you know of any root method for the S4 on 4.4.2? I've tried several, but have heard that there is no root method for KitKat yet.

Thank you SO MUCH, again!

That's great. Glad it's working again.

I'm very fond of and love PAC, just the nightlies are a bit hit and miss right now. I'll be installing the latest PAC nightly before I go to bed tonight and will be using it regardless of the performance. If you didn't know, I am a PAC Maintainer, specifically for the AHD -- anything I've said bad about it was just honest feedback, there's no point in lying saying X rom is awesome when I had a 40% battery drop in an hour and forty-five minutes; but that could have been due to a number of variables.

As far as the S4 is concerned....Nope, not a clue. The only Samsung experience I have is one of my friends having some PoS Galaxy from StraightTalk that I rooted and installed a few root apps and init scripts on. Also, since it's an ATT S4, I'd need to know the specific firmware it's currently running due to exploits being patched, etc.....If you were on an older firmware, Mythtools would root it for you -- Until it was patched, the S4 used the same root exploit as us here.

nukesnooper

Jan 21, 2013
That's great. Glad it's working again.

I'm very fond of and love PAC, just the nightlies are a bit hit and miss right now. I'll be installing the latest PAC nightly before I go to bed tonight and will be using it regardless of the performance. If you didn't know, I am a PAC Maintainer, specifically for the AHD -- anything I've said bad about it was just honest feedback, there's no point in lying saying X rom is awesome when I had a 40% battery drop in an hour and forty-five minutes; but that could have been due to a number of variables.

As far as the S4 is concerned....Nope, not a clue. The only Samsung experience I have is one of my friends having some PoS Galaxy from StraightTalk that I rooted and installed a few root apps and init scripts on. Also, since it's an ATT S4, I'd need to know the specific firmware it's currently running due to exploits being patched, etc.....If you were on an older firmware, Mythtools would root it for you -- Until it was patched, the S4 used the same root exploit as us here.

I really can't thank you enough. Seriously! You made an 8 year old boy and a 7 year old girl VERY happy!

When I was getting my feet wet a year ago; I flashed another (CM?) ROM and wasn't terribly excited. I saw the Pacman ROM and asked one of our software developers if he knew anything about custom ROMs. Without hesitating; he said "Well; I personally use the Pacman ROM." I flashed it, and my kids loved the animation on startup! It's all about my kids; right?

I'd like to restore what I had; which was 4.3. It NEVER gave me a bit of trouble. I just thought that the KitKat was going to be hot stuff, so I let it choke my S4. I rue the day.

And, speaking of "Rue the day"; the S4 was the first non-Motorola phone I had ever purchased. I'm on my 7th one since August 9th of 13. First one burned up in 17 days - actually; it just melted down to the point where it destroyed the screen. Nonetheless; they were one big pain after the other. I finally called AT&T in early December and told them to take their @#^$ phone back, and since I don't have a contract; I was cancelling my service. Been with AT&T since 1985. They offered to "Give" me a Note 3 - with the only stipulation being; I had to stay with them for a month to try it before I could cancel. The Note 3 has been much more reliable, but still has major issues that I'm sure you're aware of. It works well, for the most part, but is way too huge to carry on my side when I'm working in some places.

I'm going to search for the Pacman 4.3 and try to reinstall it. In case I come up snake eyes; could you provide a link as to where I might obtain it?

Thanks!

skeevydude

Feb 10, 2012
Hot Springs
I really can't thank you enough. Seriously! You made an 8 year old boy and a 7 year old girl VERY happy!

When I was getting my feet wet a year ago; I flashed another (CM?) ROM and wasn't terribly excited. I saw the Pacman ROM and asked one of our software developers if he knew anything about custom ROMs. Without hesitating; he said "Well; I personally use the Pacman ROM." I flashed it, and my kids loved the animation on startup! It's all about my kids; right?

I'd like to restore what I had; which was 4.3. It NEVER gave me a bit of trouble. I just thought that the KitKat was going to be hot stuff, so I let it choke my S4. I rue the day.

And, speaking of "Rue the day"; the S4 was the first non-Motorola phone I had ever purchased. I'm on my 7th one since August 9th of 13. First one burned up in 17 days - actually; it just melted down to the point where it destroyed the screen. Nonetheless; they were one big pain after the other. I finally called AT&T in early December and told them to take their @#^$ phone back, and since I don't have a contract; I was cancelling my service. Been with AT&T since 1985. They offered to "Give" me a Note 3 - with the only stipulation being; I had to stay with them for a month to try it before I could cancel. The Note 3 has been much more reliable, but still has major issues that I'm sure you're aware of. It works well, for the most part, but is way too huge to carry on my side when I'm working in some places.

I'm going to search for the Pacman 4.3 and try to reinstall it. In case I come up snake eyes; could you provide a link as to where I might obtain it?

Thanks!

Your first sentence made me really think -- our "throwaway" phones become kids toys. When I was their ages I was happy to have a Game Boy that had like 8 buttons (including the d pad) and a 2.6" 4 shade grey screen....then I got the Ice Blue Game Boy Color, with "Color" not because it played in color, but because the device was colored. The Game Gear, now that was sweet -- a 3.2" actual color screen with up to 32 colors....They just don't know how good they have it. I would have loved it if my Dad gave me anything comparable with the Atrix HD at that age....I mean, the AHD is more powerful than my first desktop PC that ran Windows 98, in every single way...well, not all, the damn thing did have a very large hard drive of 8GB....just like the Atrix HD.

Looks like you learned the lesson "Never, ever, ever, ever flash an Official OTA" the hard way. Since I've been on Android and custom roms and all that jazz, that's in the top 3 rules along with "Don't flash crap, especially firmwares, with a low battery" & "Backup, then backup the backup, and possibly back that up too (no, not that....the backup's backup, pervert)".

I've only ever used Motorola phones since I was 16, and I'm 29 now (except for a week with an iPhone 3GS :crying:) Before Android it was because they worked, always had the best signal in my area, they were really durable (I could tell ya some stories), and I preferred them to everything else AT&T had to offer. A few years back I traded the iPhone with my Mom for her Moto Bravo, was hooked up with a Defy, and upgraded to the Atrix HD about this month last year (still have a year to go....). I was going to get the G, but no sd card or video out made me reconsider -- it's nice to be able to use the phone for Netflix when the PC is busy compiling a rom, or transcoding a dvd, or whatever. I could use the AHD for all that, but I don't want to spend $200 on what's essentially a downgrade in all features for some extra cpu speed.

As far as Pacman 4.3 and the Atrix HD goes, last I heard the latest nightly on Pac's servers doesn't work. Not sure why, I haven't messed with it since 4.4 became the norm and Pac moved on.

The latest rom on Pac's servers is here, dated 20140128

If that doesn't work I also have some ones I built before we were included on PAC's build server at Copy.com, the latest one being 20131118.

If you wanna wait till about this time tomorrow I can give you an up-to-date review of the 20140324 PAC KK build....though there might be an 0326 build in the next 12 hours....we'll see.

nukesnooper

Jan 21, 2013
Your first sentence made me really think -- our "throwaway" phones become kids toys. When I was their ages I was happy to have a Game Boy that had like 8 buttons (including the d pad) and a 2.6" 4 shade grey screen....then I got the Ice Blue Game Boy Color, with "Color" not because it played in color, but because the device was colored. The Game Gear, now that was sweet -- a 3.2" actual color screen with up to 32 colors....They just don't know how good they have it. I would have loved it if my Dad gave me anything comparable with the Atrix HD at that age....I mean, the AHD is more powerful than my first desktop PC that ran Windows 98, in every single way...well, not all, the damn thing did have a very large hard drive of 8GB....just like the Atrix HD.

Looks like you learned the lesson "Never, ever, ever, ever flash an Official OTA" the hard way. Since I've been on Android and custom roms and all that jazz, that's in the top 3 rules along with "Don't flash crap, especially firmwares, with a low battery" & "Backup, then backup the backup, and possibly back that up too (no, not that....the backup's backup, pervert)".

I've only ever used Motorola phones since I was 16, and I'm 29 now (except for a week with an iPhone 3GS :crying:) Before Android it was because they worked, always had the best signal in my area, they were really durable (I could tell ya some stories), and I preferred them to everything else AT&T had to offer. A few years back I traded the iPhone with my Mom for her Moto Bravo, was hooked up with a Defy, and upgraded to the Atrix HD about this month last year (still have a year to go....). I was going to get the G, but no sd card or video out made me reconsider -- it's nice to be able to use the phone for Netflix when the PC is busy compiling a rom, or transcoding a dvd, or whatever. I could use the AHD for all that, but I don't want to spend $200 on what's essentially a downgrade in all features for some extra cpu speed.

As far as Pacman 4.3 and the Atrix HD goes, last I heard the latest nightly on Pac's servers doesn't work. Not sure why, I haven't messed with it since 4.4 became the norm and Pac moved on.

The latest rom on Pac's servers is here, dated 20140128

If that doesn't work I also have some ones I built before we were included on PAC's build server at Copy.com, the latest one being 20131118.

If you wanna wait till about this time tomorrow I can give you an up-to-date review of the 20140324 PAC KK build....though there might be an 0326 build in the next 12 hours....we'll see.

Damn! I wrote out a nice, meaningful response and IE froze up as I was about to send it! You'd have liked it, though. I'll try to recap tomorrow at work.

Do I need gapps installed on this to sync the games that were on it, or at least download them again?

I screwed the pooch but got it fixed pretty quickly and downloaded 4.3.1 - but no Google anything - except search.

I am anxious about KitKat, but unless it's a root version...

skeevydude

Feb 10, 2012
Hot Springs
Damn! I wrote out a nice, meaningful response and IE froze up as I was about to send it! You'd have liked it, though. I'll try to recap tomorrow at work.

Do I need gapps installed on this to sync the games that were on it, or at least download them again?

I screwed the pooch but got it fixed pretty quickly and downloaded 4.3.1 - but no Google anything - except search.

I am anxious about KitKat, but unless it's a root version...

And I like posts like that.

Yep on the gapps for games, unless you have Titanium Backup or a similar app backup solution. Gapps are also why you didn't have Google anything except search. Google Apps, hence the name gapps -- they include Play and more -- apps included after that kinda depends on the OS version, if it's a custom one like the Baked gapps were, a PA styled one with varied packs depending on what apps you use, etc.

As far as Atrix HD KitKat roms go, all ours come rooted. The only roms we have that aren't rooted are the stock fastboots, all of which are easily rooted with a flashable zip or by Myth.

//This download speed of 300kbps is getting annoying....normally it wouldn't except that I'm the only one on the network at my house*, this kernel sync is taking forever, and I'd like to go to bed after an overlay and a push..

*now that we have a Roku 3, there's always someone on Netflix or Vudu or some other steaming service in the living room....really great device other than that.

nukesnooper

Jan 21, 2013
And I like posts like that.

Yep on the gapps for games, unless you have Titanium Backup or a similar app backup solution. Gapps are also why you didn't have Google anything except search. Google Apps, hence the name gapps -- they include Play and more -- apps included after that kinda depends on the OS version, if it's a custom one like the Baked gapps were, a PA styled one with varied packs depending on what apps you use, etc.

As far as Atrix HD KitKat roms go, all ours come rooted. The only roms we have that aren't rooted are the stock fastboots, all of which are easily rooted with a flashable zip or by Myth.

//This download speed of 300kbps is getting annoying....normally it wouldn't except that I'm the only one on the network at my house*, this kernel sync is taking forever, and I'd like to go to bed after an overlay and a push..

*now that we have a Roku 3, there's always someone on Netflix or Vudu or some other steaming service in the living room....really great device other than that.

To recap your previous post - the one that got "Lost in Space"; let me put a few things in perspective:

I'm an Atlanta, GA native. Born, raised, and educated. Worked there in law enforcement (Death Investigation) for close to 25 years of my adult life (feeling young, yet?). I worked over 13,000 death investigations, and either performed or participated in 6500+ autopsies. I moved to a tiny little town in west Texas 8 years ago, come this Saturday after my son was born.

General Dwight David Eisenhower was President when I was born. I don't recall so much the Kennedy assassination, as much as I remember Oswald being shot. We listened to it on our AM radio - which was large enough to be a furniture fixture and took several minutes for the vacuum tubes to warm up. We didn't have a TV yet. Not until 1965. And it was an RCA "Black and White" VHF only console. I promptly dismantled it, just in time for my father to return home from work. Boy; did I get an ass-kicking! Until I completely reassembled it, and it worked flawlessly. My father apologized (post ass-kicking) and realized that I had a "knack" for electronics. We had 4 TV stations in Atlanta 2, 5, 8 and 11. 8 was PBS. Channel 17 (Now, Ted's "Super Station") didn't come along until I was a teenager. We had to buy a UHF converter for our TV. There was no cable. Much less, DirectTV or Dish. And, we felt lucky. And, no damn remote... But; why would we need one?

Growing up; my toys consisted of a GI Joe and a red wagon - which I promptly modified the wheels and axels for maximum speed. That; using my father’s power saw(s), drill, and lathe - at the age of ~6-7. Now days; you'd be arrested for even using said equipment in the presence of children. Safety glasses? You've got to be kidding me. "Glasses" were for people who couldn't see, and usually, only if they could afford them. We had no health insurance. The only "games" were at arcades and consisted mainly of various pinball and air hockey machines. And, yes; at the age of 7-8 years old, we walked to the arcades in busy city traffic.

At the age of 5; I met my soon to be uncle (Mother died of cancer when I was 3) - who was a coroner in Tennessee. His car was full of Motorola radios. I was hooked on Motorola. Motorola ANYTHING! When I met him, I knew: “I don’t care what this man does for a living; that’s what I want to be when I grow up.” And, in spite of myself; so it was.

I remember my school play being cancelled when Martin Luther King was assassinated. I was in the "mess hall" at Boy Scout Camp when Neil Armstrong walked on the moon. We were all watching it on TV. Cool.

When cell service became mainstream - around 1985, my first cell phone was a Motorola BRICK with an antenna about 14" long. It cost over $1,300.00. My "Basic" plan was $69.00 - just for access, and they charged 35 -37 cents per minute for air time. Plus, the usual tax gouging. My monthly bill often topped $650.00. You kept your cell phone until one of you died.

My next phone was the Motorola StarTac - the first flip phone. Still huge, but way cool. Another $1,200.00.

I still love my Atrix HD, but it was the last Motorola phone that I bought. Well; let me back up: I actually bought the original Atrix – which I loved! First phone that ever died on me. AT&T replaced it with the Atrix 2, which was full of bugs. They got so tired of me *****ing that they upgraded me to the Atrix HD. That was somewhere around the time that Google purchased Motorola cellular. I've been underwhelmed by their offerings ever since. Damn. What a shame... And, now… Uhhhh. It makes me sick.

Now; their Land Mobile Radio division is headed in the same direction. Another damn shame.

I still use the AHD from time to time, when I have to travel overseas to a hostile area. I figure that it’s better to lose it or let it take a bullet than what I have now. Although; I know that the South Korean’s are slapping their knees at us sucking up the Samsung’s. A professional exterminator couldn’t kill all of the bugs in them. I have to wear a crash helmet when I use my S4. The Note 3 is much better, but still only around 93-95% “working as designed”, in my opinion. I use a lot of – well; let me rephrase that – I’ve grown accustomed to many of the features that other manufacturers offer, such as split screen, better displays, better UI’s, more RAM and faster processors. Sometimes, I feel like Curly from The Three Stooges.

So; yeah, my kids have it great, with respect to technology. But; I’m quick to remind them of “what it was like, when I WAS a kid!”

TV, streaming video? Nah; not for me. I have an old Sony Trinitron “Flat Screen” CRT TV with a DVD “Jukebox” that holds 400 DVD’s filled to the brim. Nothing much on TV these days that’s worth $70.00 a month to watch for a couple of hours a week. The kids can watch Sponge Bob at mom’s house when I’m on the road.

I’ve just gotten into “phone phreaking” within the past year or so. I don’t have a lot of time to keep up on what’s going on, so I have to rely on experts to help me out. And; YOU have been a tremendous help! I’ve learned more in the past 48 hours than I learned over the past year. It helps a lot when you find one person who knows what the hell they’re doing! As opposed to hundreds of other sources with hundreds of differing opinions and varying levels of expertise (and ego). That’s confusing as hell when you’re trying to learn a specialty.

The ROM that I downloaded last night – from what I assume is the official Packman site - is tiny! Practically no bloat, and seems to run like a champ. The only oddity is: I can power down the phone and all is well. I can plug it into the wall wart and all is well. But; if I plug it into my USB port to charge, it turns on immediately. I can turn it back off, and it turns right back on. ‘Spose I can live with that, but, it is a bit peculiar.

Keep me posted on the latest Pacman ROM’s. I’m a very willing Beta tester. I have to torture test our new software / firmware builds where I work. Hell; I worked with criminals for many years. I know a few angles. Some of my questions; I’m sure, will seem elementary to a smart developer like you, but I learn quickly.

Thank you very much, again!

NS

---------- Post added at 10:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 AM ----------

Now; getting back on track, I have no interest in the Google Bloat apps. I just want to be able to sync the phone to The Play Store to download games and send them to the phone via Wi-Fi.

I found a site that has various Google apps that I could download individually, or in certain groups. I didn't know enough about what to download for my version, so I left well enough alone. The ROM that I installed is: pac_mb886-nightly-20140128.zip, if that helps any. I don't need Maps, YouTube, Facebook, etc. I just want to be able to shoot - or re-shoot the games that my kids had on the phone. Ditto, my apps for the phone. The Play Store still lists the AHD, but now lists it as "Unknown Device" and won't allow me to download or send any apps to it, even from the phone browser.

Little more help?

Thanks!

NS

skeevydude

Feb 10, 2012
Hot Springs
To recap your previous post - the one that got "Lost in Space"; let me put a few things in perspective:
NS

I'm originally from Hanford, CA but I moved to Hot Springs, AR when I was 3 or 4. Even at that young of an age I was the family go-to for technology because I just got it. When I was 4 I had to show my Dad how to hook up the NES (my first game console) to the TV and VCR as well as program them all. Ever since then, and to this day, my Dad still doesn't like me & technology because, I suppose, it makes him feel inferior that a 4yo could instinctively do something he couldn't and that I've only got better and better with it since.

My families first PC, when I was about 9 or 10, consisted of a PII, between 300-400mhz, Windows 98, 32-64mb of ram, and onboard graphics. Back then, that was a $1200 PC that we only had because my Mom got lucky down in Tunica. I didn't have another PC till I was 18 and got lucky in Tunica (seriously, all my families PC's purchase funds have come from gambling, sans a PoS Compaq they bought when I was at boot camp) and I used it up until last year -- It was a 64bit dual core AMD @2.4ghz, 2GB ram, and a 500mb hard drive. My current PC was found in a garbage can outside of work, seriously, though I've since upgraded the motherboard, ram and graphics.

My toys, they consisted of Star Wars action figures, Legos, and video games. Between me and my buddy Chris we had almost every Star Wars character & ship to do some awesome playing. The one thing I remember that always makes me laugh was using Slave Leia (when she was in Jabba's palace chained up) as the town whore. One of his little sisters Barbies became Teen Whore Barbie and joined Leia as her gigantic, underage whore friend....

Now, I did have a bike, but I left it on the front porch for 15 minutes while I ate dinner and it was stolen. I "found" it a few days later, but, me being an 8yo white kid, I didn't want to confront the 8yo black kid about it anymore than I did because his two older brothers showed up threatening to beat my ass. They had painted over the awesome paint job it had, removed the front hand brake, and pretty much ruined it so I just left it at that. He got his when I "misplaced" a joint in his backpack during a school wide search -- The moral of the story, you screw me over and I'll get mine. You won't know when and it will be YEARS after you've forgotten screwing me over and it will be bad. Normally I'm a pacifistic hippie, but not when crossed in a bad way. I mean, I'm the kind of person that helps old ladies at random, holds the door open if someone needs it, helps random people online I've never met with phone issues, helps any friend that calls and needs it, and has spent money I couldn't afford to let go to feed kids that need it.

Luckily for me, my Dad liked playing video games as much as I did so we had a ton of different consoles growing up -- we had 2 of the following -- NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, PSX, N64, PS2, Xbox...then I had my Game Boy and Game Gear. Never did get a GBA, but I did get a DS which does just fine for those games -- I should look into modding it now that I think about it (I haven't touched it in years). Nowadays, if I wanted a handheld, I'd just buy a Moga and clip my phone to it -- A full size controller that also holds a phone it a win in my book.

While I had some cool stuff, most of it was all hand-me-downs when the parents updated the living room or their room, and I had to work or do chores or whatever my Dad considered enough for me to have earned it. He can be cool, but back then he was a stone cold assh*le and liked to drink, which is why I don't drink that much as an adult -- I've seen what drinking can do first hand and don't ever want my family, when I have one, to be subjected to crap like that.

Now, not all my friends had cool stuff, some did, but not all. Because of those friends I gained an appreciation for my parents and the things they'd get me, even if they weren't the latest and greatest, or even new. We weren't rich or anything like that, just my Mom waited tables at a good restaurant (during the race season she could easily pull in 200+ in a 4 hour period) and my Dad would get lucky and get a good commission (that's before he started his own business). Nowadays the family business is pretty much nonexistent (explained below).

I remember the Berlin Wall coming down as the earliest political thing I can think of, though I didn't realize the significance till I was 12 or so. I grew up during the Clinton era, remember the BJ incident, and always thought, well, Hillary doesn't look that good either, gotta do what ya gotta do I suppose. I can ignore a president getting some strange if the country isn't doing crappy. 9/11 happened during 10th grade American History (have some funny stories about that teacher) and that drastically changed how things were done and how everyone lived their lives. IMHO, the country has gone downhill ever since because of a combination of fear, derp in the government, fear and uncertainty of Obama (my job used to be welding up iron fences, which relies on rich people spending money who don't want to because of Obama -- I've had that as an excuse plenty of times when a bid is rejected).

My life has been pretty crappy since the summer of '08 and the "Obama fear". Only jobs I can find are part time, minimum wage, suckfests that don't pay a wage worth working for. I'd rather risk selling weed than have a job like that -- I don't anymore, but when the only options for work are crappy day labor or 4 hours a week at McD's (seriously, that was a job offer I received), slangin becomes a better and better option everyday. If the government was serious about the drug war they'd up the minimum wage to at least $10/hr, legalize pot, send drug offenders to jail over rehab, and quit putting people on probation for meth. I knew a meth dealer on probation for 4 years who was tested weekly, smoked meth almost everyday, and passed every piss test given to him. Why? They only tested him on Wednesday. Because of that, he could party from Wednesday night to Sunday around midnight, stay clean on Monday & Tuesday, pee clean on Wednesday. Being in law enforcement, I'm sure you've seen all the BS in the system disguised as being better for the community because it all sounds good on paper. That same guy has been to jail multiple times and, when released, he comes out with a new list of contacts to do more criminal activity with. It's sad because he's a good guy at heart and really does want to do right, the only problem is he was on probation for 4 years (for dumpster diving, btw...) for theft of property and no one wants to hire him, not even fast food. He lost his kids a few months ago -- I acted like I was upset with the situation like he was, but in reality, I'm happy that he lost them and hope that it gives him an incentive to get his sh!t together. Damn, that went on longer than I had planned....

My Dad had one of those StarTac's, but my first one was the RAZR flip, followed by some more RAZRs....Before I had my iPhone, my phone was two razrs chopped together. One was dropped and had a screwed up display, the other I threw into a tree driving at 20mph and snapped in half. Took the halves that were still good and hooked them together. That worked for a year till that was dropped and the display went out....Couldn't fix it (for free), but it did still work because I had the phones GUI memorized and knew what button did what, still had callerID and time because the external screen still worked -- I even used it over the iPhone during theat week, because, well, the 3GS was a crapfest and didn't have a good signal where I lived whereas my broke ass Moto did.

I've learned all my Android knowledge in the past 3 years, my only experience being me using Linux for 7 years (10 now) and some bash scripting that comes from that. My first Android was the Moto Bravo. By the time I had got it, most of its first adopter devs had moved on and there weren't many around that could rom. We then got lucky in that Moto Defy roms would work just fine for us except for the camera. Even luckier, Quarx, a really, really good Defy developer, managed to get our camera working and we had CM7. Because the Defy kangers weren't making Bravo roms, someone had to figure it out so we could have things like PA, AOKP, etc, so I decided to start learning Android rom compiling. I've been doing that ever since.

I don't watch much cable either, but I do watch Netflix quite a bit. It's nice being able to watch a show like "24", not have commercial breaks, watch it all in order, and do so in a legal manner. There's nothing I haven't been able to find on the internet, but even with that skill, it feels morally wrong to pirate some things. These days, the only things I get in those ways are things I already own or things that were stolen from me, maybe an occasional game to test it on my system before spending $50 -- it really sucks buying a game to have it not work and demos aren't necessarily the final product.

While kids of this generation are lucky with all the disposable tech these days, I find it sad that they're even less computer literate than my generation. I suppose that's because we still had to work for it (not work work, put we did have to put effort into getting a simple game to run) and everything these days is plug-n-play. I remember having to reboot to swap game controllers on a PC; that's something kids of this generation just wouldn't comprehend....Heck, these days a HDD can be plugged into a running PC, which would have destroyed a hard drive just 10 years ago.

I flashed the latest PAC a few hours ago, but dumbass me forgot to turn it back on after my Titanium restoration so I don't have a good indication of the battery life, but everything is working well and my only FC was during the initial setup and related to some gapps wanting updates, since updated, no FCs. I'll post more on PAC later in its thread.

nukesnooper

Jan 21, 2013
I haven't had time to read anything but the highlights of your history, but it sounds interesting. I'd like to take the time to print it and read it in-depth before I reply. Unfortunately; I was locked into the neutron range for most of the day and teaching the rest. I'm in town and just got my kids and need to spend some time with them tonight. I've got to head back out of town tomorrow, but should have time to check it out waiting between flights. I hope I'm not being rude. Such is the nature of the beast of my job.

I'll touch base back, soon and stay in touch. I stayed up late last night and read a few of your other posts and bookmarked them for future reading this coming weekend. Man; it sounds like you've had some tough breaks, but are one smart guy! You also are a VERY good writer and teacher.

Thanks again!

nukesnooper

Jan 21, 2013
I love the story about the bike revenge! I’m fairly conservative with respect to politics, but grew up with the “Hippie” culture, and much of it remains with respect to helping people and keeping the government out of my life. I enjoy helping people – especially older people and others that just have a hard time. Good job on getting back at the bike thieves! I’m not one to hold a grudge, but if someone crosses me, I’ll do whatever is legal and reasonable to make them wish that they hadn’t.

My folks weren’t drinkers, but they were pretty harsh with respect to discipline. Sometimes, a little too harsh.

The economy is so bad now, that it seems like everyone is having a hard time. I’ve never seen it so tough. I live in a little town and the only jobs out here are oilfield jobs and where I work. The country is in such a bad way, economically; I think everyone is scared of their own shadow when it comes to spending money.

Welding is one thing I don’t know how to do, but wish I did. I’ve always thought it was cool. I wish I had the money to buy some decent gear to learn with. But; it’s so seldom that I need to do it; I can’t justify the investment.

I think, and have always thought that the “War on Drugs” was ridiculous. It’s a waste of money and lives. But; the government sees fit to destroy people’s lives with drug convictions, which only creates a more criminal atmosphere. If you can’t get a job because of a drug conviction; what else are you going to do? Starve? I just don’t get it. Alcohol has destroyed more lives than drugs by a thousand fold. Legalize it, tax it – like they do booze – and educate people! Warehousing criminals only serves to make them bitter and leaves them with few options upon release. I think they should take the money spent on this ridiculous drug war and put it into education and rehabilitation.

Nonetheless; I certainly hope your life gets better. You’re obviously very talented at what you do. It may not seem like it at times, but compassionate people get a lot further in life than “snubbers”. At least; they're happier.

Keep up the good work and never take “No” for an answer!

The Atrix HD is still working well with the 4.3. But; I drug my S4 out of the drawer this morning and found that with a little tweaking and learning the new UI; it’s not too bad. So; I’m ready to go ahead and try the 4.4.2 update on it. Can you provide me a link for the latest build and Gapps?

Take care, my friend!

Thanks!

Last edited:

kimmyjay

Sep 15, 2015
I haven't had time to read anything but the highlights of your history, but it sounds interesting. I'd like to take the time to print it and read it in-depth before I reply. Unfortunately; I was locked into the neutron range for most of the day and teaching the rest. I'm in town and just got my kids and need to spend some time with them tonight. I've got to head back out of town tomorrow, but should have time to check it out waiting between flights. I hope I'm not being rude. Such is the nature of the beast of my job.

I'll touch base back, soon and stay in touch. I stayed up late last night and read a few of your other posts and bookmarked them for future reading this coming weekend. Man; it sounds like you've had some tough breaks, but are one smart guy! You also are a VERY good writer and teacher.

Thanks again!

Do you know how to toggle sync via terminal emulator? Or anything related to sync? Thanks

kimmyjay

Sep 15, 2015

Thanks again!

Do u?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Welcome to the Atrix HD Forums.

3v2hhh.jpg

So you have yourself a shiny new Atrix HD and you've come here looking to flash custom roms. Before you get started, you need to learn the basics of Atrix HD (AHD) roms; how to root stock, how to unlock the bootloader, where obtain and set up our custom fastboot executables, what to do when things go wrong, what NOT to do, and what to add to your posts so your not just saying I have a bug or XYZ force closes on me...

Let's start of with a brief history lesson.
    Motorola phones are notorious for being locked down and very difficult to do custom roms on. Very few Moto devices have native unlockable bootloaders, and most of the unlocked ones were unlocked via the great devs of the scene or from straight up blunders from Motorola. Our Atrix HD was no exception. It came locked down, but soon had SafeStrap Recovery from Hashcode. SSR installed itself to the /system partition and acted in a very similar manner to Defy 2nd-Init and other /system based 2nd-init recoveries. For a locked device it was/is the ideal recovery to use.

A few months back Dan Rosenberg successfully unlocked the bootloader for us and since then things have changed drastically and for the better. We've gone from Stock-Based Ports and CM10\.1 modded for locked bootloaders to full custom kernels, multiple Source-Based roms, using CWM over SSR, and all our old tips and tricks are almost all no longer valid and we do different things now. IF THE POST YOU'RE LOOKING AT IS BEFORE APRIL 2013 THEN DON'T BOTHER READING IT UNLESS IT IS FOR STOCK AND YOU RUN STOCK.

Where to Start on you Atrix HD Journey
    You're gonna want to start off by setting up adb, fastboot, and if on Windows, the drivers & RSD.
    ADB Guide This guides old and some of the links may be invalid, but tis a really good guide that covers a lot of things and is a good & recommended read, especially if your a total Android noob. I have a link to our fastboot guide below in the Unlock the Bootloader section, and the driver is automagically installed the first time you plug your STOCK phone into a Windows PC. Myth Tools can do all this as well, but you SERIOUSLY need to learn the manual way before using the all-in-one tools -- and that's for any device\system\OS\phone\PC\etc...If you know the manual way then you'll be better suited to fixing issues on your own if the all-in-one fails

You'll also want to visit this thread and read up on RSD. Keep in mind that that thread was made after our bootloaders were unlocked so you can't do the CMW swap or downgrade to ICS, but it does contain the links to RSD and a Windows Driver Guide so its well worth reading.

Rooting this Beast
    The first thing you're gonna want to do is root your phone. We have three methods available to us. One method is ICS only and the other two for Jellybean -- One is Linux exclusive and the other works on both Linux and Windows. I'm not gonna tell ya how to do them, there are threads for that and here they are.

ICS ONLY
    Linux Samba Root Method
    Motochopper Root Method

Staying Stock and using SafeStrap
    By now you're probably wanting to flash a rom...but we're not there yet. Now is where you have to make a crucial decision -- Go with SafeStrap Recovery, Stock Roms, and limited support from us; OR, Unlock the bootloader, flash a new bootlogo, flash CWM, flash a custom rom. If you go with SafeStrap/Stock, install SSR and download the stock fastboot that's the same as the system on your phone if something goes wrong. I can't give a whole lot of SSR info since I didn't use it very much (maybe 2 weeks tops if that), you'll have to refer to the SSR thread for more SSR help and info. You only be able to flash stock based roms without custom kernels with this method. Please be aware that this isn't supported by us anymore since all the AHD power users run unlocked bootloaders and custom roms.

SafeStrap Recovery Thread

Unlock the Bootloader
    I'll start of by telling you the ONE & ONLY downside to unlocking the bootloader -- you will lose warranty. If you're phone is covered for things like water damage, broke screen, major breaks, then you can just break the phone to the point where they won't be able to tell if its unlocked or not and the not being covered under warranty is a non issue. And if you need to do a warranty or return, make damn sure you break your phone in a way covered. Easiest was is to splice a 110V wall plug with a Mini USB and fry the board...all ya gotta say is it quit working...Now that that's been said I'll go on to the meat and potatoes.

You want to first visit the Unlock thread and read it as well as my fastboot guide sticked under Android General. Between those two sources all the minor tidbits are already covered.

Unlock Thread
    Fastboot Guide
    Just A Good Source For Info

What to do next???
    Provided you actually read all of the above you should have a decent understanding of what to do and what not to do. You're gonna want to first start off by flashing CWM. See the Fastboot Guide linked just above this... Once installed do a Full Backup of your stock rom and place a copy of that on your PC for safe keeping. Now you are free to have some fun and start flashing all the roms you want.

Myth Tools
    Thie Myth Team has kindly made us a nice little script that can do most of the rooting, unlocking, fastboot flashes, etc. I haven't mentioned yet, and almost didn't at all because you NEED TO KNOW EVERYTHING POSTED ABOVE BEFORE YOU USE THIS TOOL. The tool itself works just fine, but if you're not properly set up bad things can happen and we're tired of answering posts that start with "I used Myth Tools and"....I'm essentially a noob who didn't bother to read and study before playing with my Shiny New Phone. IF adb is properly woking, IF you're using the proper fastboot, and IF you bothered to run it as root/admin the you're gonna have a good time.

Myth Tools

Relevant Video

To Be Continued...........
    It doesn't need to be stickied. Because of all the new guys thinking that's the only thing to use. It's better just being mentioned in your guide. That way if they need to use it they can use your link.

Sent from my PACMAN MATRIX HD MAXX

I want both recoveries stickied. I don't want to go into all the details publicly, but they both need to be stickied. The instructions on both have been updated to included locked and unlocked bootloader...because of that we can now say "You're an idiot and you can't read instructions" when we get the questions.

I've made sure that we have clear, easy, copy/pasteable instructions; guides that cover almost everything we do. Feel free to not answer SS questions; maybe a flame and a link, whatever.

To All
    Just because ya'll are tired of answering questions from noobs doing things the old way doesn't mean that the old way is bad or that it needs to go away. Not all of us want to be fully unlocked and we have to support those users as well as those who want to be unlocked.

I don't like to play this card, but do you see under my user name where is says "Recognized Contributor" -- It means I know more about this sh!t than a lot of other people and I'm known for helping others. While I normally go with the will of the community, I gotta fight ya'll on this one cause sometimes ya'll are wrong and this is one of those times.

I am rooted and bootloader unlocked and I recently flashed xenon HD. But the issue is that my GPS wont work no matter how long I wait:eek: (Worked like dream on flash JB though). Also i cant make my laptop to recognize my phone ( yeah i did turn on the USB debugging mode)

So i went through the forums and I got to know that I have to flash stock ICS and then again flash a custom ROM to make it work. So searched around for stock ICS firmware for ATT and got this file 7.7.1Q-144_MB886_MR1-22_SIGNED_CFC.xml.zip. Now the page where I got this info says that I have to edit the xml file and then flash it.

I have Mythtools working, so all I have to do is to use the option to flash firmware and place this zip in respective folder ?

P.S : I intend to use HOLOBLUR ROM by younggun2008. Since it is on 4.1.2 I am wondering If flashing it directly will solve the purpose or I still have to go back to ICS.

Use HOLOBLUR -- based on Stock so everything should work perfectly (unless youngunn2008 screwed up somewhere :p)

Yeah, ICS was recommended, but my last stock was 4.1.2 Mex Retail which is where our current GPS lib is from....I don't recommend the ICS flashing for GPS....I recommend Mex Retail cause its where the damn lib came from. I know that because I'm the one who found the working GPS lib for us in the first place.

I haven't ran a stock rom since the beginning of June and I've ran many, many custom roms since then. GPS hasn't been an issue for me in a long time.

No USB Debugging is a bug with all 4.2.2 roms :(
    After they unsticky safestrap..

Sent from my PACMAN MATRIX HD
    reserved........
    @skeevydude

I did the same thing but in spanish and located in another forum. Can I post the link and you add it to your post?

Enviado desde mi MB886 usando Tapatalk 4 Beta