Simple Fix for your GPS - Samsung Galaxy S III

Search This thread

crobs808

Dec 21, 2007
United States
If this REALLY is helping people, then I am really frustrated at Samsung. It is ridiculous that this kind of thing would even be needed to be done by users. I am a HUGE Samsung fan, but this is a big potmark on an otherwise perfect face. Luckily my S3 was good when I got it, but after reading this thread I tightened all my screws - hey, it can't hurt.

I am still not sure if it is voodoo, placebo, or whatever you want to call it, since I did not have the problem before hand.

Hypnosis4U2NV

Nov 23, 2010
New York City
If this REALLY is helping people, then I am really frustrated at Samsung. It is ridiculous that this kind of thing would even be needed to be done by users. I am a HUGE Samsung fan, but this is a big potmark on an otherwise perfect face. Luckily my S3 was good when I got it, but after reading this thread I tightened all my screws - hey, it can't hurt.

I am still not sure if it is voodoo, placebo, or whatever you want to call it, since I did not have the problem before hand.

No sir.. Actual results here..

Check here for my opinion why it works..

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=39570338

Sent from my Commodore 64..
READY.
load"*", 8,1

Hypnosis4U2NV

Nov 23, 2010
New York City
I was referring to your comment of:

It's not voodoo, placebo or whatever.. Like you observed it's technical and damn shameful.. They could of at least had a connector attached rather than simple pressed contact..

READY.
load"*", 8,1

derberts

Jul 18, 2012
Do you guys think its possible for this to also be an LTE fix? I've had my LTE lock consistently after doing this I don't know if it's a coincidence or not...

Hypnosis4U2NV

Nov 23, 2010
New York City
Do you guys think its possible for this to also be an LTE fix? I've had my LTE lock consistently after doing this I don't know if it's a coincidence or not...

Maybe, but the cell antenna is located opposite of the GPS antenna which is the bottom right corner of the rear.. It's also connected by clip rather than just mere pressure like the GPS antenna.. Maybe screwing the case down helped seat the clip of the antenna a bit better..

READY.
load"*", 8,1

Reactions: derberts

fatasian

Oct 10, 2012
I think you are right about this. The fix worked for me for a day, then quit working (it went back to locking only occassionally). After I saw this post with the picture of the location of the GPS antenna, I thought maybe all the screws shouldn't be torqued quite so much.

I really tightened the screw in the upper left, right near what you are suggesting is the GPS antenna connection point. I also tightened the other two screws on the left pretty tight. Then, as you work right, I didn't tighten quite so much.

Since I did that, my GPS is working great, and -- more importantly -- it staying great. I think that upper left screw needs to be tighter than all the rest, and the further you get from it it needs to a little looser (still tight, but not torqued down).

Having said that, I don't know if anyone else had this fix only "sort of" work for them -- it seems like it works for everyone. But if you do you have any difficult with the fix keeping the phone fixed, give this a try.

Thank you baby Jesus. Loosening a few others did it!

nicholi2789

Mar 19, 2013
Newport
I thought I would share my testimonial as well.. I've always had kinda wonky gps. I've had two S3s, one was brand new, the other refurbished. Both of them always took at least 60-120 seconds to get a lock, and usually it would only be accurate to around 30 feet or so (I just figured that was kinda the limit of this technology). Then I came across this thread and saw that the GPS inaccuracy is a wide-spread issue with S3s, and thought, what the hell? What do I have to lose?
So I shut my phone down and got out my precision screwdriver set. I was appalled at just how loose those screws were on the back. Some of them I was able to get two or three full turns before they were tight. Couldn't believe it.
It even seems as though I am getting a better signal, thought that could be a placebo effect. I live in a rural area and don't have 4G (soon says VZW) at any give time my signal strength would usually be around -90--95 dbm 6 asu. Now I'm getting a consistent -75 to -80 dbm 2 asu.
Maybe that is coincedence but I'm definetely getting a stronger signal.
Thanks for posting this!!

Reactions: syintiphic

chayesfss

Oct 9, 2008
I was very doubtful this would fix my issue. Thought it was rom/kernel related and as such had changed roms quite a bit looking for something that worked.

I pulled the back off, just tightened all of them and am amazed that I'm getting a lock right away! Wouldn't have ever thought this would work and can't figure out why but I can't thank you enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

engelba

Aug 7, 2006
Another "me too" story but... I had started having problems about 2 weeks ago with my phone getting a poor fix and in the past 5 days it getting no fix what so ever. I tried a couple of GPS tools to reset it and download new satellite data - nothing. Reflashed and wiped with a new ROM and new Radio.... nothing - same problem.

I saw this solution and thought it was total BS but figured what do I have to lose? Flipped the phone over, took the back off and tightened up the screws (esp the ones in the upper left corner). Put the back back on and without even rebooting, walked outside and bam! nearly instant fix.... 19 of 20 satellites.

Sounds crazy but this does really work. I would urge folks to not go too crazy and over tighten the screws as you risk stripping them. Just snug them up, and see if it makes a difference. If not, snug them a little more and see if that works.

Making me wonder if I should take the back off and clean the contact between the board and the GPS antenna in the back of the phone.

syintiphic

Feb 10, 2012
There is a lot of good positive feedback and suggestions on this thread. This is great! I am glad this has helped many people. So funny, many people were just like me. I was about ready to give up on my phone until I stumbled on the screw fix.

I've read in other forums that some ROMs are better than others are at enhancing/maintaining GPS functionality. I definitely think this is true. Although I believe tightening the screws should definitely be the first thing to check, I would however also say some ROMs degrade GPS functionality.

I can't really explain this but I was on a TouchWiz ROM for about 2-3 weeks with the GPS functioning great. I noticed that I started to get slower locks and the location wasn't as accurate. I checked the screws and all were screwed in pretty well. I still was able to use my GPS but it just wasn't functioning as well as previously...it didn't bother me too much. As many of you do, I like to try out other ROMs. I tried an AOSP ROM and noticed that the phone (beyond just GPS) wasn't functioning quite the way I would have liked it so hours later I flashed the nandroid of my TouchWiz ROM. After flashing I noticed that my GPS worked fine again. Was this dumb luck or a coincidence? Did it have something to do with the fact that I wiped and did a factory reset before flashing my nandroid?

This got me thinking that there is something deep inside the OS or folder structure that is impacting my GPS so I decided that I would experiment a bit and wipe my phone so that I can start fresh with another TouchWiz ROM. Well I'm happy to report that the past month or so my phone's GPS has been rock solid. Not one issue. I can't really explain this. I have noticed that overall the GPS locks are faster and more accurate, even indoors. I'm sure many of you probably know the reason for this.

After discovering the screw fix, which improved my GPS (noticed a night and day difference), I also think there is something that may get corrupted when flashing ROMs, which impacts your GPS. I haven't tested it too much but I wonder if there is something with the sdcard/0 folder that gets created when using 4.2.X ROMs. Perhaps something there is causing the GPS to act erratic.

I must say, now that I have my phone functioning the way I want it I don't tweak it too much. I use GPS quite a bit so I'm always hesitant to tweak or add something unless I research it quite a bit and fully understand how it may impact my phone. I just don't want to take a chance impacting my GPS.

I'm interested what you all think about corrupted files that are impacting GPS and what ROMs (types or specific ones) you think are better for GPS functionality?

Cheers.

Last edited:

jonsoini

Mar 5, 2007
Just another 'this fixed it for me' reply. Thanks for this, was driving my wife nuts and I wasn't looking forward to a warranty exchange. Simple tightening of the screws and GPS fired right up, no more 'waiting for location' from Navigation.

stas_

Aug 10, 2012
Worked Magically for my Galaxy Note

Another satisfied customer here, except with a different device.

I have a Galaxy Note, and I haven't had a GPS lock in weeks. I tightened the top left screw in the back and now I have instant, perfect GPS lock, even with an obstructed view of the sky.

Thank you!

InfInIteGMKg

May 24, 2013
This is a DIFFERENT, but easy fix that worked for me!!!

I tried everything, tightening screws, apps, etc. FINALLY GOT FED UP my Gps was turning on but could not get a lock on my location. My GPS would blink in status bar and whatever app I was using would say searching for signal... To make a long story short THIS FIX WORKED FOR ME, BUT BE CAREFUL, IF YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND OR SOMETHING GOES WRONG WITH YOUR PHONE I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE...
Ok I ran USSD code running, First,
On dialpad press *#197328640# this will bring up a page automatically after pressingthe last # symbol.. DONT FORGET TO DIAL * at the beginning
Next- press UMTS-then press Common-NV Rebuild - NV Rebuild again, then wait till system says to reboot... Press and hold power button to reboot and your done.
After I completed these steps my GPS worked perfectly again, hopefully this does some people some good.
If curious Iam running 4.1.2 rooted sg3 tmo, should work on 4.1.1 also. Not sure about cm, pac, ROMs etc.

Reactions: perpetualnoob

Wontfinishlast

Apr 12, 2012
I tried everything, tightening screws, apps, etc. FINALLY GOT FED UP my Gps was turning on but could not get a lock on my location. My GPS would blink in status bar and whatever app I was using would say searching for signal... To make a long story short THIS FIX WORKED FOR ME, BUT BE CAREFUL, IF YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND OR SOMETHING GOES WRONG WITH YOUR PHONE I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE...
Ok I ran USSD code running, First,
On dialpad press *#197328640# this will bring up a page automatically after pressingthe last # symbol.. DONT FORGET TO DIAL * at the beginning
Next- press UMTS-then press Common-NV Rebuild - NV Rebuild again, then wait till system says to reboot... Press and hold power button to reboot and your done.
After I completed these steps my GPS worked perfectly again, hopefully this does some people some good.
If curious Iam running 4.1.2 rooted sg3 tmo, should work on 4.1.1 also. Not sure about cm, pac, ROMs etc.

Anyone with a vzw model get this menu to work?

EDIT: Had to enable hidden menus. For anyone else that had this problem, first dial *#22745927 and click hidden menu then "enable". The above code now works. Now to see if this finally resolves my GPS woes!

Last edited:
Reactions: ameanl

nomad2172

Oct 29, 2008
solution worked perfectly

This solution worked perfectly for me on my Galaxy S3. Now my GPS locks in every time and is fully functional. This post saved me countless hours in attempting to work with Verizon support. Thanks a milliom!!!!!!

vandizzam

Sep 22, 2010
Anyone with a vzw model get this menu to work?

EDIT: Had to enable hidden menus. For anyone else that had this problem, first dial *#22745927 and click hidden menu then "enable". The above code now works. Now to see if this finally resolves my GPS woes!

Tried it and still nothing. Did the screw thing as well. Any more ideas?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

I have a simple GPS fix that worked for me. After posting and sharing in other forums this fix has also worked for many others who were frustrated with their GPS' not working, not locking onto satellites, and their phones acting erratically while navigating. Although this method seems too easy to be true, trust me it works and many people have confirmed that this method worked for them too and are now happy that their phone has a functional GPS and in some cases improved call quality.

I as well as many others performed many of the other fixes such as flashing back to stock, performing numerous battery pulls, using aGPS patches, making numerous edits to the gps.conf file, reprovisioning our phones, checking different ROMs, uninstalling/reinstalling Google Maps, clearing data for Google Maps and Google Service Framework, and so on. So before you do all of that please give my method a try.

I discovered this simple fix when I was trying to perform one of the other GPS fix procedures. The procedure required me to pull my battery. I noticed that when I removed my back cover the back frame that has all the screws (10 total) was slightly loose on the left side. Once I tightened them all my GPS worked immediately! Like I said, this method has been tested by many people and most of them report great success just by tightening their screws. If this method works for you you'll also notice that in addition to getting faster locks your navigation will work and won't drop your GPS signal.

Like I said it may not work for everyone but I would recommend that if you have a Samsung Galaxy S III definitely check the back frame of your phone and make sure you tighten the screws and make sure everything is secure. You too should now be able to achieve GPS locks consistently.

I hope this helps. If it does, as it has many others, please click thanks.

Cheers,
    Syintiphic
    Decided to try something a little different beyond the screwdriver fix.. I took apart my GS3 and performed a mod on the antenna itself.. Of course the usual disclaimer applies: ATTEMPTING THIS MODIFICATION YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU ALONE ASSUME ANY AND ALL RISK INVOLVED.

Hit the THANKS button if this helps!

1. POWER DOWN YOUR PHONE
    2. REMOVE THE BATTERY, SD CARD AND SIM CARD!
    3. UNSCREW THE BACK COVER OF YOUR PHONE
    4. PRY OPEN THE BACK COVER
    5. GENTLY PEEL BACK THE GPS ANTENNA CONTACT PAD
    6. ADD A SMALL THIN PIECE OF PAPER TO RAISE THE CONTACT PAD
    7. REAPPLY THE GPS ANTENNA CONTACT PAD BACK TO ITS ORIGINAL POSITION
    8. SCREW THE BACK COVER OF YOUR PHONE
    9. REINSERT THE SIM CARD, SD CARD AND BATTERY (IN THIS ORDER)!
    10. POWER UP YOUR PHONE AND TEST YOUR GPS
    11. IF ITS GRABBING FAST LOCATION LOCKS - PROFIT!

GPS1.jpg

GPS2.jpg

GPS3.jpg

GPS4.jpg

GPS5.jpg

GPS6.jpg

GPS7.jpg

GPS8.jpg

5ada3yre.jpg
    Well here is my take on what I think the problem is and why the screw fix works.. Understand I'm not making any assertions that this is the cause or that I know what the hell I'm talking about..

The back of the case (not the battery cover) appears to have an antenna.. This area has a copper contact point which sits in the area where the GPS of the phone is located.. If this part of the phone is loose, it doesn't make a solid contact with what I believe is the GPS antenna..

uploadfromtaptalk1364258888976.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1364258939864.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1364258958588.jpg

READY.
    load"*", 8,1
    Re: Easy Simple Fix for your GPS on your Samung Galaxy S III

The fix worked for me.. Night and day difference in getting satellite locks after tightening the screws..

Edit: In case anyone wants to know my theory behind why it works..

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=39570338

Edit2: If you find the screwdriver fix doesn't work for you, or you find yourself tightening screws all the time, you can try this simple mod..

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=44725977

READY.
    load"*", 8,1
    D
    Deleted member 2776902
    Worked for me!

I have been battling this GPS issue since I got the phone, and it has been very annoying since September - November. But it really hit me this week traveling 300 miles out of state when using Navigation, I would randomly fly off the highway and into the streets with the navigation program throwing a fit about where to turn. It just couldn't hold a solid lock for anything. Luckily I had my Nexus 7 packed with me, and it's GPS is always spot on.

15p25x5.png

But after I saw a random post a few days ago about tightening the screws, I was at first skeptical, and had to wait until I was back home to get to my small screwdriver, but once I tightened all 10 screws, viola! It worked instantly! :laugh:

2je1wgl.jpg

I now get a lock within a few seconds, and even indoors. Saved myself a trip to VZW too. Thanks guys!