[Q] Need to backup Galaxy SII, but broken, locked screen

Search This thread

ArnoldJR28

Apr 9, 2014
Hello all.

As you might have guessed from the title, I recently broke my Galaxy SII's screen and I need to get all my precious info off it for my new S4 Active. Problem is, the screen is kept locked and with a broken screen I obviously can't unlock it in the normal manner. Fortunately the phone still works.

Unfortunately, my phone is unrooted and USB debugging is turned off (I think, I'm running on that assumption) so that doesn't help matters.

After some tinkering and learning (thanks to the sticky on recovery mode :)) I have booted into recovery mode and have the Android SDK installed so while I can look at some things on the phone, not everything seems to be available.

Essentially, how can I get my data off my phone? It looks like I have to root the phone or something like that, but wouldn't that delete all my data (and thus defeat the purpose)?

Nothing like a broken screen to get you into learning Android development, and of course all responses are hugely appreciated :)

Hopper8

Sep 17, 2012
Hello all.

As you might have guessed from the title, I recently broke my Galaxy SII's screen and I need to get all my precious info off it for my new S4 Active. Problem is, the screen is kept locked and with a broken screen I obviously can't unlock it in the normal manner. Fortunately the phone still works.

Unfortunately, my phone is unrooted and USB debugging is turned off (I think, I'm running on that assumption) so that doesn't help matters.

After some tinkering and learning (thanks to the sticky on recovery mode :)) I have booted into recovery mode and have the Android SDK installed so while I can look at some things on the phone, not everything seems to be available.

Essentially, how can I get my data off my phone? It looks like I have to root the phone or something like that, but wouldn't that delete all my data (and thus defeat the purpose)?

Nothing like a broken screen to get you into learning Android development, and of course all responses are hugely appreciated :)

It will depend on what data you're trying to get off the phone. My guess is photos/videos/music? If it's anything else, please specify.

You're on the right track, I'm pretty sure you'll need to root. But no, that won't delete any data :) My tip would be to root using Odin & Siyah kernel, as it's PC-based, if you were on JB 4.1.2 you'll need Siyah v6 (beta 4 or 5). The Odin link in my signature has a link which is an introduction to Odin flashing which you should find helpful. PC rooting with Odin (vs using Philz kernel) avoids using the busted screen for the rooting operation. Once you've flashed Siyah, you'll have root and a new custom recovery.

My next move would be to flash Dorimanx kernel, because it has an 'auto-mount' feature from recovery. Essentially that means the computer will recognise your internal SD (and external SD if you have one) as soon as you plug it in to your computer in recovery mode. To flash Dorimanx, you have a couple options. The easiest would be to download Dorimanx v8.43, and put it on a microSD card. Put that card in your phone, and from Siyah recovery, navigate to that file and flash it.

From there, reboot to your new recovery and plug into your computer. If all goes well then you can literally just copy your entire internal SD card to your computer and sift through for what you need :)

Hope that helps :highfive: Quote my post if you reply, else I won't notice it. I don't get time to go on Q&A much for now.

EDIT: Actually, an alternative would be not to flash Dorimanx on top of Siyah. From Siyah recovery, you could go: mounts & storage> mount USB storage and then plug into PC. Your PC should recognise it from there to copy all data from internal SD. If not, then flash Dorimanx for the auto mount feature.

Last edited:

HellDad

Mar 11, 2014
hey.

my advice to you is to try using a "micro usb to hdmi" in most cases the touch works wile the screen does not.
its very common and cheep, i also suffered from the same problem, and i borrowed one from a friend, and thats what saved my data loss.
usually the phone interacts automatically with the usb-hdmi thing so you dont need to "click" on anything to make it work.
the touch tho is pretty tricky.. and you will learn it pretty fast!

hope one of your friends got one of these.. if not just buy one.. its a nice thing anyway.

hope i helped.

ArnoldJR28

Apr 9, 2014
It will depend on what data you're trying to get off the phone. My guess is photos/videos/music? If it's anything else, please specify.

You're on the right track, I'm pretty sure you'll need to root. But no, that won't delete any data :) My tip would be to root using Odin & Siyah kernel, as it's PC-based, if you were on JB 4.1.2 you'll need Siyah v6 (beta 4 or 5). The Odin link in my signature has a link which is an introduction to Odin flashing which you should find helpful. PC rooting with Odin (vs using Philz kernel) avoids using the busted screen for the rooting operation. Once you've flashed Siyah, you'll have root and a new custom recovery.

My next move would be to flash Dorimanx kernel, because it has an 'auto-mount' feature from recovery. Essentially that means the computer will recognise your internal SD (and external SD if you have one) as soon as you plug it in to your computer in recovery mode. To flash Dorimanx, you have a couple options. The easiest would be to download Dorimanx v8.43, and put it on a microSD card. Put that card in your phone, and from Siyah recovery, navigate to that file and flash it.

From there, reboot to your new recovery and plug into your computer. If all goes well then you can literally just copy your entire internal SD card to your computer and sift through for what you need :)

Hope that helps :highfive: Quote my post if you reply, else I won't notice it. I don't get time to go on Q&A much for now.

EDIT: Actually, an alternative would be not to flash Dorimanx on top of Siyah. From Siyah recovery, you could go: mounts & storage> mount USB storage and then plug into PC. Your PC should recognise it from there to copy all data from internal SD. If not, then flash Dorimanx for the auto mount feature.

I would like to get anything that's worth getting from the phone, so most important is the contacts and then photos/videos/app data.

It seems the link to download Odin is dead :(

Last edited:

MistahBungle

Nov 7, 2011
Geelong AU
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Odin can be easily found with a Google search (or an XDA search). You're going to have to show at least a little bit of initiative if you want this done.

Edit - Also, you haven't specified which S2 variant you have. If you have any of the US variants, don't proceed with the above advice.

I would like to get anything that's worth getting from the phone, so most important is the contacts and then photos/videos/app data.

ArnoldJR28

Apr 9, 2014
Odin can be easily found with a Google search (or an XDA search). You're going to have to show at least a little bit of initiative if you want this done.

Edit - Also, you haven't specified which S2 variant you have. If you have any of the US variants, don't proceed with the above advice.

Just thought I'd make people aware of the dead link.

Phone variant is the I9100T (in Australia here).

Hopper8

Sep 17, 2012

I have no idea what you mean by the Odin link is dead. All links and attachments in my guide are up to date and working. I know, I just checked.

Good point, thanks. Had skimmed over the variant issue :eek:

ArnoldJR28

Apr 9, 2014
I have no idea what you mean by the Odin link is dead. All links and attachments in my guide are up to date and working. I know, I just checked.

Good point, thanks. Had skimmed over the variant issue :eek:

Not to worry, it was 404'ing for me, but I just went and googled it like Mistah said.

Flashing and pulling files from recovery mode worked like a charm so much appreciated, Hopper :)

Hopper8

Sep 17, 2012
Not to worry, it was 404'ing for me, but I just went and googled it like Mistah said.

Flashing and pulling files from recovery mode worked like a charm so much appreciated, Hopper :)

Good to hear it worked, and that you've got your data back :good: Now you know to keep regular backups of all the things you value, so get in that habit :)

Reactions: ArnoldJR28

ArnoldJR28

Apr 9, 2014
Good to hear it worked, and that you've got your data back :good: Now you know to keep regular backups of all the things you value, so get in that habit :)

Sorry to pester you but it seems I'm only halfway to the finish line. It looks like I only got some of my files and not others as when I "ls" folders in the shell like data, they're empty so I don't seem to have full access. Being Superuser doesn't let me see anything either.

Disregard, turns out all I had to do to see the contents of the /data folder was to mount it. The things you learn :)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello all.

Hopper's advice applies then.