Post Reply Email Thread
24th May 2012, 08:39 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 55

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentCherryColla

Hey, I got my new Laptop.
Its an ASUS G7.

It has a Core i7-2630M @2.0GHZ with Turbo at 2.8GHz. It also has multi threading so it has 8 core (4 physical, 4 Virtual).
A GTX 560M
8G's of Ram
50 SSD
What are some good guidelines to get the most out of this Laptop Dev wise?

Nice I got a k53sd with similar specs except processor and ssd but I'm jelly of your gtx 560m.. how much did you get it for? I got mine for 699 2 months ago.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2
25th May 2012, 01:46 PM |#12  
Thanks Meter: 1,144

Donate to Me
More
Why isn't this in dev?

Nice XMC - real nice.

... when I get the chance to get back into dev again, I want to start with ICS. Contributions like this will make it real easy to just jump right in and start helping.

Thanks for sharing!
The Following User Says Thank You to Blue6IX For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Blue6IX Ad-Free
25th May 2012, 09:26 PM |#13  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Instead of

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ lucid partner"

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jdk
I had to do this to install java6 jdk. Looks like the package isn't in the archive anymore

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ferramroberto/java

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jdk
and lib32readline5-dev is not available. I used lib32readline-gplv2-dev instead

EDIT:

ALSO!!
You should probably put into the guide to close the terminal and start a new one right after the edit to ~/.bashrc. I forgot to do that and kept wondering why the repo command wasn't found
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tytdfn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tytdfn Ad-Free
26th May 2012, 02:11 PM |#14  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 157

More
Quote:

...How to build....on Wondoze....

HAHAHA
Love the way you mislead the wondoze newbs...
Quote:

You may download Ubuntu 11.10 (a MUST if using windows)

The Following User Says Thank You to dhkr234 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dhkr234 Ad-Free
26th May 2012, 03:32 PM |#15  
Flag Carpentersville
Thanks Meter: 511

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis93

Nice I got a k53sd with similar specs except processor and ssd but I'm jelly of your gtx 560m.. how much did you get it for? I got mine for 699 2 months ago.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

500. Bought it off a work buddy.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to AgentCherryColla For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AgentCherryColla Ad-Free
26th May 2012, 04:15 PM |#16  
Flag Bentonville
Thanks Meter: 44

Donate to Me
More
When specifying the number of threads to run i.e. 'repo sync j8' for 8 threads, keep in mind that intel core processors have hyperthreading which lets you effectively double the amount of threads you can run. On my core i7 (quadcore) I use 'j8' but if I was running on an amd quadcore I would use 'j4'.

Just my 2 cents...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to michaelmab88 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift michaelmab88 Ad-Free
26th May 2012, 10:28 PM |#17  
Flag Carpentersville
Thanks Meter: 511

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmab88

When specifying the number of threads to run i.e. 'repo sync j8' for 8 threads, keep in mind that intel core processors have hyperthreading which lets you effectively double the amount of threads you can run. On my core i7 (quadcore) I use 'j8' but if I was running on an amd quadcore I would use 'j4'.

Just my 2 cents...

Thanks, I was wondering that. Intel for life righ'???? :3

28th May 2012, 04:19 AM |#18  
Flag Michigan
Thanks Meter: 7

More
you just need a debian base linux. And if your not sure how to get backward comparability with ubuntu 12 you can always install linux mint debian also this is just my opinion you get better results using aptitude instead of apt-get. I have to say this UNITY SUCKS ruined a great linux distro.
28th May 2012, 04:09 PM |#19  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 157

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmab88

Just my 2 cents...

Actually, hyperthreading effectively does NOTHING to improve your compile time. Extra threads swapping back and forth actually increases the overhead and decreases performance.

What hyperthreading does, is it takes away some of the operating system's ability to control process scheduling. Its basic purpose is that if you have some runaway or other high-CPU process that wants to take over your CPU, the hardware will assign a higher priority to OTHER processes, giving them equal CPU time so you don't end up dead. It will improve your "smoothness" by effectively increasing priority of low-cpu processes. It is basically pointless on CPU's with multiple real processing cores, and equally pointless on operating systems with decent process schedulers -- i.e., it is for Wondoze on single core processors. Beyond that, they're just trying to technobabble you into thinking that there is some benefit.

Best thing to do is set the number of compiler threads equal to the number of REAL processing cores.

---------- Post added at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:07 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkdata

you just need a debian base linux. And if your not sure how to get backward comparability with ubuntu 12 you can always install linux mint debian also this is just my opinion you get better results using aptitude instead of apt-get. I have to say this UNITY SUCKS ruined a great linux distro.

Does NOT need to be debian based at all. Just needs to have the necessary dependencies installed and available. I build Android on Fedora.
28th May 2012, 05:02 PM |#20  
Flag Bentonville
Thanks Meter: 44

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhkr234

Actually, hyperthreading effectively does NOTHING to improve your compile time. Extra threads swapping back and forth actually increases the overhead and decreases performance.

What hyperthreading does, is it takes away some of the operating system's ability to control process scheduling. Its basic purpose is that if you have some runaway or other high-CPU process that wants to take over your CPU, the hardware will assign a higher priority to OTHER processes, giving them equal CPU time so you don't end up dead. It will improve your "smoothness" by effectively increasing priority of low-cpu processes. It is basically pointless on CPU's with multiple real processing cores, and equally pointless on operating systems with decent process schedulers -- i.e., it is for Wondoze on single core processors. Beyond that, they're just trying to technobabble you into thinking that there is some benefit.

Best thing to do is set the number of compiler threads equal to the number of REAL processing cores.

I must confess I don't know much about the 'technobabble'.. I normally wouldn't run make -j* either.. I just run brunch and everything takes care of itself..

Here are a couple pages to look at for optimizing build time...

edit: and reposync in stead of repo sync.. but you have to setup the environment in the terminal before reposync will work (run '. build/envsetup.sh')
17th June 2012, 02:09 AM |#21  
Flag Seattle, Wa
Thanks Meter: 840

More
I was attempting to build from scratch, and since I have not done that since my mytouch, I am a bit rusty. I got compiled, and almost booting but stuck on boot screen with the following:

I/ServiceManager( 267): Waiting for service media.player...
I/ServiceManager( 267): Waiting for service media.audio_policy...
W/IMediaDeathNotifier( 267): Media player service not published, waiting...

Any ideas?

* Tried boot.img from alpha 4 no go

Thanks in advance.

I posted this in another thread but figured I should have put it here first.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)