Ozone: Substratum module to tweak OxygenOS Oreo

Search This thread

ungeeked

Jun 12, 2012
Delhi-NCR
OmiIQ5z.jpg

ABOUT OZONE
Ozone provides several tweaks to modify OxygenOS. IT WILL NOT WORK ON ANY OTHER ROM. Please note that if you are a previous user of Ozone on Nougat, several things have changed.

FEATURES
  • 40+ accent colors and multiple dark backgrounds
  • Configurable Transparent Quick Settings
  • Modified OOS accent palette with material colors
  • Configurable Settings layout including Oreo layout
  • Center or Left statusbar clock
  • Toggle LTE/4G in statusbar
  • Enable/Disable network traffic activity indicators
  • Configurable rounded recents.
  • Configurable QS icon count with option to hide labels
  • Optional 8.1 statusbar icons
  • Dark Notifications - available via beta channel on Play Store

Downloads:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ungeeked.ozone
or
https://github.com/ungeeked/Ozone/releases

Telegram support group:
https://t.me/ozone_support

Last edited:

ungeeked

Jun 12, 2012
Delhi-NCR
If you want to use rootless mode, please refer to the following guide:

https://xdaforums.com/apps/substratum/andromeda-desktop-clients-release-notes-t3668682

Here is a video tutorial for Andromeda

For reporting issues:

There are mainly 4 types of issues with Substratum themes:

1) User Issues:
Typical user post:
I applied this but it didn't work
There are over 5k users who are using ozone. The app is rated 4.7 stars by 200+ users. IT WORKS. Either you were expecting something that is not a feature of Ozone, or there was some problem with your configuration. About the latter, the commonest issue i think people face is that they apply only "Android" overlay and expect accent color to change. It doesn't work like that. Think of Android System as a storage. It stores the information. When you change a color in Android overlay, only the storage part changes. When you apply other overlays, like "Settings" it looks up in the "Android System" and changes the color of settings app. Having a central storage makes the application of theme easier because you don't have to select accent for each overlay. However users can have a wide variety of issues. Common fixes include rebooting after applying an overlay or switching accent colors back n forth. In case you haven't notices, some overlays in ozone have a orange exclamation mark next to them. Those indicate that the themer has included a note for the users. You can read it by tapping on the orange thingy. For reporting any issues where the theme didn't work like you expected, make sure you include two things in your post:
- What you were expecting and what really happened (expectaion v/s reality)
- A screenshot of the manager tab in substratum. It tells me what overlays are installed with what configuration.

2) Incompatible overlays:
Usually these happen after an OS update. On trying to apply the theme, substratum will generate a log LogChar. Mail it to the me and issue will be fixed in next update. Logchar is also generated when user doesn't make a selection from the drop down menu on top..These constitute 99% of the bug reports I receive.

3) SystemUI crash:
From user point of view this is the nastiest issue because it makes phone useless. Before reporting, you should know that this can be fixed by flashing the rescue zip in Substratum folder in Internal storage. That folder is automatically created when you install subs app and there is no need to download anything separately. Flashing rescue zip will disable all overlays and your phone will boot successfully. Sometimes sysui crash also occurs after OS update for no reason. This mostly happens with users who dirty flash rom updates. It is highly recommended to uninstall all overlays and reinstall them after update. For reporting this, just say that you have a black screen on applying the theme. If possible, upload your systemui.apk as well. No logs are required. They are mostly not helpful

4) App crash:
After applying an overlay, you get a message "xxx has stopped" either on trying to open the app or while performing some action within the app. These are tricky issues and require a log (either use an app like matlog or adb logcat). However most people cannot give proper logs. If you don't know how to capture logs, just post the steps to reproduce the issue. This helps me a lot

Thank you

Last edited:

lombyzgz

Dec 12, 2010
Yep, its working! The only bug is the lockscreen
f0af1c0de59234500741e627512dc5b7.jpg

Enviado desde mi ONEPLUS A3003 mediante Tapatalk

AcmE85

Jan 19, 2012
You can fix it by restarting systemui in substratum > overlay list or by simple reboot

Worked like a charm. So far all fine.
I really have to dig deeper with substratum, as I don't have any experience with it apart from Ozone on Nougat.

Maybe a Q&A section in the initial post is a good idea. It would be good to know what changes in OOS Oreo have which impact for Substratum.
From your responses I get that only light/dark theme can be modified with substratum.
Is it possible to change the quicksettings background color and icons too? (not the icon color)

ungeeked

Jun 12, 2012
Delhi-NCR
Worked like a charm. So far all fine.
I really have to dig deeper with substratum, as I don't have any experience with it apart from Ozone on Nougat.

Maybe a Q&A section in the initial post is a good idea. It would be good to know what changes in OOS Oreo have which impact for Substratum.
From your responses I get that only light/dark theme can be modified with substratum.
Is it possible to change the quicksettings background color and icons too? (not the icon color)

There are two themes that support oos oreo at the moment which completely overhaul the look and feel. One is pitch black and other is Valerie. They are full system themes a d not just system tweaks.

Substratum can change everything in Oreo except for statusbar icons and qs tile Colors in default theme. Dark notifications are also functional with these themes.

QS background however can be changed with ozone as well

Reactions: AcmE85

AcmE85

Jan 19, 2012
Thanks for the info.

Substratum can change everything in Oreo except for statusbar icons and qs tile Colors in default theme.

QS background however can be changed with ozone as well

Most themes I tried so far were struggling with the "expanding" action bar within the settings and the setting's submenus and not theming the QS background + icons at all unfortunately.
So I don't know if it is an OOS or a general Oreo issues. Seems as if theme-makers might have to modify their themes to get along with OOS though.

Looking forward to future updates with more QS background colors.

Take your time, this first release is already great!

Last edited:

ungeeked

Jun 12, 2012
Delhi-NCR
Thanks for the info.

Most themes I tried so far were struggling with the "expanding" action bar within the settings and the setting's submenus and not theming the QS background + icons at all unfortunately.
So I don't know if it is a OOS or an Oreo issues.

You can follow substratum development community on G+. Since OOS has a large user base, I'm sure more devs will be interested in theming oos Oreo now that legacy issues are gone.

Reactions: AcmE85

xpissio

Mar 1, 2015
Padova
This Play Store version, does it support Nougat (stable and beta) too?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just read the description on Play Store.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OmiIQ5z.jpg

ABOUT OZONE
    Ozone provides several tweaks to modify OxygenOS. IT WILL NOT WORK ON ANY OTHER ROM. Please note that if you are a previous user of Ozone on Nougat, several things have changed.

FEATURES
    • 40+ accent colors and multiple dark backgrounds
    • Configurable Transparent Quick Settings
    • Modified OOS accent palette with material colors
    • Configurable Settings layout including Oreo layout
    • Center or Left statusbar clock
    • Toggle LTE/4G in statusbar
    • Enable/Disable network traffic activity indicators
    • Configurable rounded recents.
    • Configurable QS icon count with option to hide labels
    • Optional 8.1 statusbar icons
    • Dark Notifications - available via beta channel on Play Store

Downloads:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ungeeked.ozone
    or
    https://github.com/ungeeked/Ozone/releases

Telegram support group:
    https://t.me/ozone_support
    New update rolling out now. v3.55 for those on Oreo 8.0 OOS and v3.7 for those on Oreo 8.1 OOS. This seperation is because statusbar clock overlay for 8.0 and 8.1 is totally different. It is actually bad coding on OnePlus's part. They have included OP6's clock code too in OP5/5T open betas ( OP6 has a left clock by default because of notch).

Coming to the changelog :
    - New accent: Purple 003
    - New background: Deep Grey
    - New background: Cobalt
    - Launcher overlay updated for version 2.3.2
    - Force hide disabled sim while using ios icons
    - Fix Gmail subject line in dark notifications
    - Some bug fixes and template updates

Enjoy
    Over the past month I have been busy with real life issues and haven't been able to reply to most of the queries here. However most of these "issues" are good things. I qualified my Post Grad entrance exam and was busy with admission process. And I must say thank you to everyone who uses this theme. Thank you for your love. It meant a lot me especially last year when i was struggling with my personal life.

Coming to the changelog

- Attempt to fix obnoxious QS padding (option in systemui for 8.1 users) - Thanks to vasu97
    - Fixed notes overlay causing crash
    - Fixed Alarms screen in clock app
    - Some fixes for OP Launcher
    - Support for substratum v984
    - New accent: Blue 009 ( user request )

Enjoy. And btw when you guys request something, i may not reply because i'm not sure about how to implement it but i do try to read all comments
    Just pushed Ozone 3.0 to Play store
    Changelog:
    - Fixes for Substratum v952
    - Themed Oneplus camera settings
    - Fixes for gboard - Remove and reapply
    - Fixes for SystemUI - Rounded recents option moved to navbars overlay. It was causing issues with other options
    - Fixes for File Manager - Rethemed it from scratch. Remove and reapply
    - Themed InCallUI background - Remove and reapply
    - Themed shelf for light mode
    - Added a Show 4G option for statusbar - Apply 8.1 /8.0 icons first. Then select "Show 4G" and reapply overlay

I'll be busy for the next few days. Cheers and enjoy
    If you want to use rootless mode, please refer to the following guide:

https://xdaforums.com/apps/substratum/andromeda-desktop-clients-release-notes-t3668682

Here is a video tutorial for Andromeda

For reporting issues:

There are mainly 4 types of issues with Substratum themes:

1) User Issues:
    Typical user post:
    I applied this but it didn't work
    There are over 5k users who are using ozone. The app is rated 4.7 stars by 200+ users. IT WORKS. Either you were expecting something that is not a feature of Ozone, or there was some problem with your configuration. About the latter, the commonest issue i think people face is that they apply only "Android" overlay and expect accent color to change. It doesn't work like that. Think of Android System as a storage. It stores the information. When you change a color in Android overlay, only the storage part changes. When you apply other overlays, like "Settings" it looks up in the "Android System" and changes the color of settings app. Having a central storage makes the application of theme easier because you don't have to select accent for each overlay. However users can have a wide variety of issues. Common fixes include rebooting after applying an overlay or switching accent colors back n forth. In case you haven't notices, some overlays in ozone have a orange exclamation mark next to them. Those indicate that the themer has included a note for the users. You can read it by tapping on the orange thingy. For reporting any issues where the theme didn't work like you expected, make sure you include two things in your post:
    - What you were expecting and what really happened (expectaion v/s reality)
    - A screenshot of the manager tab in substratum. It tells me what overlays are installed with what configuration.

2) Incompatible overlays:
    Usually these happen after an OS update. On trying to apply the theme, substratum will generate a log LogChar. Mail it to the me and issue will be fixed in next update. Logchar is also generated when user doesn't make a selection from the drop down menu on top..These constitute 99% of the bug reports I receive.

3) SystemUI crash:
    From user point of view this is the nastiest issue because it makes phone useless. Before reporting, you should know that this can be fixed by flashing the rescue zip in Substratum folder in Internal storage. That folder is automatically created when you install subs app and there is no need to download anything separately. Flashing rescue zip will disable all overlays and your phone will boot successfully. Sometimes sysui crash also occurs after OS update for no reason. This mostly happens with users who dirty flash rom updates. It is highly recommended to uninstall all overlays and reinstall them after update. For reporting this, just say that you have a black screen on applying the theme. If possible, upload your systemui.apk as well. No logs are required. They are mostly not helpful

4) App crash:
    After applying an overlay, you get a message "xxx has stopped" either on trying to open the app or while performing some action within the app. These are tricky issues and require a log (either use an app like matlog or adb logcat). However most people cannot give proper logs. If you don't know how to capture logs, just post the steps to reproduce the issue. This helps me a lot

Thank you