FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Any rom after Revolutionary s-off?

107 posts
Thanks Meter: 13
 
By steve_htc_wizard, Senior Member on 14th May 2014, 04:17 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi please could i ask for some help regarding what roms can be flashed after s-offing via the Revolutionary method.

I have searched to the point of falling asleep and waking with key imprints on my face! After my searching im still slightly unclear about what i can and cant do without further modding

Im pretty sure that i can flash any custom rom i want but nothing should ever be assumed when flashing phones, thats how paperweights are made!

I had to downdrade the H-boot And did so using zergrush and old stock rom - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1399331

my device was branded so i used a branded rom in the downgrade as stated and so still have branding.
im pretty sure that now im s-off unlcoked that removing branding before flashing custom is not a issue but again, never assume!

bootloader screen infor is now as follows-

-Revolutionary-
SAGA PVT SHIP S-OFF RL
HBOOT-6.98.1002
RADIO-38.03.02.15_M
eMMC-boot
Mar 10 2011,14:58:38

Revolutionary Clockwork Mod v4.0.1.4 is flashed to recovery,

I dont think at this stage the device is rooted, thats done with the Superuser-3.0.7-efgh-signed file i have i beleive but have to read more on how its installed, can root be also gained directly though custom roms?

Also, on ben_pyett's index page- http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1146601 he suggests that a different h-boot is installed after doing the revolutionary mod to avoid probelms later on-
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_pyett;15187889
[B

It is recommended that after unlocking your device with Revolutionary you install an ENG bootloader, so that you can easily upgrade and downgrade your bootloader if required in the future - not doing so can lead to difficulties.[/B]

:

is this importaint and can anyone explain why this should be done please?

with what i have told you please can someone let me know anything further i nedd to do before flashing a custom rom or can i go right ahead and flash?

the last question i have is theres a tonne of ICS roms out there but also a few jelly bean ones too, ICS seems to be more popular by far, is there a reason for this and should i avoid the newer Jellybean roms?

Thanks, thanks and thanks again in advance for your help,

Steve.
 
 
14th May 2014, 04:54 PM |#2  
teadrinker's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 485
 
More
I would recommend you install the hboot from this thread :
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1679338

It has a new partition layout that is compatible with every rom out there. I use that version. There have also been reports of the revolutionary hboot having problems formatting partitions sometimes.

Almost all custom roms are rooted, so if you're planning to install one, you don't need to flash superuser first.

I would also update your recovery, to either the latest 4ext touch, or twrp. They support every rom out there including the kit-kat ones.

There are more ics roms there because of the age of the device and because HTC never released anything past ics for it. But if you look which threads are still active, you'll see that there's really only development still going on for the kit-kat roms (flinny's Andromadus and devil-kins builds). I'm using those and would recommend trying them (as long as you have a Sony panel, if not you'll have problems on any thing past ics).

Sent from my GT-P5110 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to teadrinker For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift teadrinker Ad-Free
14th May 2014, 06:48 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag originally from London
Thanks Meter: 13
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by teadrinker

I would recommend you install the hboot from this thread :
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1679338

It has a new partition layout that is compatible with every rom out there. I use that version. There have also been reports of the revolutionary hboot having problems formatting partitions sometimes.

Almost all custom roms are rooted, so if you're planning to install one, you don't need to flash superuser first.

I would also update your recovery, to either the latest 4ext touch, or twrp. They support every rom out there including the kit-kat ones.

There are more ics roms there because of the age of the device and because HTC never released anything past ics for it. But if you look which threads are still active, you'll see that there's really only development still going on for the kit-kat roms (flinny's Andromadus and devil-kins builds). I'm using those and would recommend trying them (as long as you have a Sony panel, if not you'll have problems on any thing past ics).

Sent from my GT-P5110 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

thanks for your help, i will take your advice on the h-boot and recovery, ive flshed tonnes of win mob handsets and a couple of win phone 7's even with downgrading and rooting on the win phone handsets it was so much less complex and confuising than andriod!

what do you mean by sony panel? do you mean the display? is it some kind of driver issue or am i on the wrong path here?

thanks steve.
14th May 2014, 06:59 PM |#4  
teadrinker's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 485
 
More
About the display panel type, check this thread :

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1943524

Sent from my GT-P5110 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to teadrinker For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift teadrinker Ad-Free
15th May 2014, 11:17 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag originally from London
Thanks Meter: 13
 
More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by teadrinker

About the display panel type, check this thread :

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1943524

Sent from my GT-P5110 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Thanks for the info, i have checked and its Sony!

I changed the Hboot to the version you suggested and i have changed the recovery to twrp, i was going to install 4ext but its £2 and annoyingly google play store does not accept paypal and i dont have a credit or debit card, only my wife and she does not want it linked to my play account grrr.

Anyway, now i have to choose a JB rom to install, flinny's Andromadus rom seems to be very much still in the alpha stage and i want a rom that is as stable as possible, i will have a look at the devil kins rom in a sec.

Anyway, thanks again for your help, i will hit the thanks button.

Steve.
15th May 2014, 05:27 PM |#6  
jmcclue's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,495
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_htc_wizard

Thanks for the info, i have checked and its Sony!

I changed the Hboot to the version you suggested and i have changed the recovery to twrp, i was going to install 4ext but its £2 and annoyingly google play store does not accept paypal and i dont have a credit or debit card, only my wife and she does not want it linked to my play account grrr.

Anyway, now i have to choose a JB rom to install, flinny's Andromadus rom seems to be very much still in the alpha stage and i want a rom that is as stable as possible, i will have a look at the devil kins rom in a sec.

Anyway, thanks again for your help, i will hit the thanks button.

Steve.

4ext recovery is free... Only the control app u have to pay for, has more option. Anyway Download the free updater app and use that to flash recovery. Link below.


http://4ext.net/


Or click link below, follow instructions. Or extract the zip file and flash recovery.img via fastboot commands

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2275946
15th May 2014, 10:31 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag originally from London
Thanks Meter: 13
 
More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcclue

4ext recovery is free... Only the control app u have to pay for, has more option. Anyway Download the free updater app and use that to flash recovery. Link below.


http://4ext.net/


Or click link below, follow instructions. Or extract the zip file and flash recovery.img via fastboot commands

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2275946

TWRP was miles better than the outdated revolutionary recovery but wow, the 4ext recovery you directed me too is tonnes better again, thanks!

One problem im having though and had it with the TWRP recovery too-

I managed to flash a ics rom to the phone, i did this as i found one i that looked very stable from the user comments in the topic and it granted me the root i needed to install the new recovery and various other bits via the o.s but now although the rom is showing now bugs i want to jump to JB as that was always my goal if it could be done.

but both the roms i have downloaded to try come up with a signing error in both TWRP and 4EXT recoverys, i don't know enough to brave turning off the signing check (guessing this may be the solution) and so can't install these roms at the moment. I really like the look of the carbon JB rom but almost every post talks about lag so im giving that one a miss.

please can you explain what is preventing me from installing these roms?
The ICS rom i installed flashed with no problems at all using the revolutionary recovery but i don't know if there was a setting that was not active or even a lack of it altogether in that particular recovery.


The other question is which flinny's Andromadus JB rom version is recomended? There's so many versions but all "test" roms and no official versions, do you know of a particular one that has the most functionality and stability?

Thanks again for pointing me to the 4ext link, its miles better.

Steve.

EDIT: I have just re-flashed the phone with the same "RTS" ICS rom using the new 4EXT recovery as having done a full wipe in preperation for the new rom i lost a lot of things that were backed up using the previous recovery and did not get the signing error so now im sure its a rom thing rather than a recovery setting
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes