GPS receiver on Exynos model

Search This thread

cr2

Jan 15, 2005
Which Broadcom GPS receiver will be used on S9x ?
Is it the same BCM4774 like on older models, or the new dual-frequency L1/L5 BCM4775x ?

Reactions: endolith

cr2

Jan 15, 2005
the GPS "spec" from the marketing gibberish is exactly the same as that from the S8
The marketing people never (can) provide any usable technical information.
Even google people give you a pretty useless device table at https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/sensors/gnss.html
although they certainly know better: all phones with 'yes' in "Accumulated delta range" use BCM4774, and support Galileo (excluding Nexus 9 in the last row, which uses special firmware and has an older Broadcom chipset).
I hope somebody will do a hardware teardown, or will enable debugging log options in gpsconfig.xml on a rooted S9x :)
IMHO, the chances for BCM4775x are pretty slim, but let's hope for the better.

Mar 16, 2008
OK, just pre-ordered :( . Is there a way other than rooting I (or teardown!) that I can use to determine the GPS chip? If it's not the BCM4775 I'll probably just turn around and sell it prior to activation and don't want to mess it up too much ;)

Mar 16, 2008
Poor man's surveying equipment.

I have some rough land surveying to do (and potentially re-do over several iterations marking different boundaries) and the current ~10m range of accuracy doesn't cut it, while the ~10cm on the dual frequency chip would suffice. No, that is not my sole reason to consider an upgrade (as well it shouldn't be), but factored with everything else it pushes it over the edge. If it doesn't, I'll just wait until my S7 totally poops the bed in another year or so.

white7561

Sep 27, 2013
Somewhere
Poor man's surveying equipment.

I have some rough land surveying to do (and potentially re-do over several iterations marking different boundaries) and the current ~10m range of accuracy doesn't cut it, while the ~10cm on the dual frequency chip would suffice. No, that is not my sole reason to consider an upgrade (as well it shouldn't be), but factored with everything else it pushes it over the edge. If it doesn't, I'll just wait until my S7 totally poops the bed in another year or so.

I usually get 6m of accuracy tho 10cm would be nice haha.

white7561

Sep 27, 2013
Somewhere
It's dual carrier. 4755

Extracted this from S9 firmware

Edit: it seems like it's disabled tho. No CM accuracy

20180305_192441.jpg

Last edited:

cr2

Jan 15, 2005
It's dual carrier. 4755

Wow. And the a*holes keep quiet about it, damn marketing people ;)
Maybe one needs to upload some firmware patch for L5/E5 to work properly.
Where can i look at the gpsd binary ?

Edit: it seems like it's disabled tho.
On the rooted phone you can edit gps.xml and enable the dual-frequency operation. I have written about it in Huawei Mate 9 GPS thread.

Reactions: tiliarou
Mar 16, 2008
It's dual carrier. 4755

View attachment 4438060

Great, thanks!! I guess I shouldn't get too pedantic, but Broadcom is calling this the BCM47755...should we just concede that this chip shows up as 4755 in firmware?

I can't decipher where in that xml it's saying it's disabled, but does it stand to reason that enabling this could come from a software update from samsung and/or verizon? i.e. I should keep the S9 once it arrives and they hope for the best??

Thanks!!!

cr2

Jan 15, 2005
I can't decipher where in that xml it's saying it's disabled,
This is the Broadcom enum for possible multifrequency modes:
Code:
GL_MULTI_CARR_RF_MODE_UNKNOWN
GL_MULTI_CARR_RF_MODE_L1
GL_MULTI_CARR_RF_MODE_L1_L5
GL_MULTI_CARR_RF_MODE_L1_LP
GL_MULTI_CARR_RF_MODE_L1_L5_LP
GL_MULTI_CARR_RF_MODE_L1_L2_L5
GL_MULTI_CARR_RF_MODE_L1_NN
L1L5
L1LP
L1L5LP
L1L2L5
L1NN
L1_EXT_ON
L5_EXT_ON
It is also interesting that they still stick to the 'rtistatus3.dat' for RTIconfig, which does not support Galileo. You can use rtistatus4.dat available from Broadcom site to fix that.

Last edited:
Reactions: tiliarou

white7561

Sep 27, 2013
Somewhere
Wow. And the a*holes keep quiet about it, damn marketing people ;)
Maybe one needs to upload some firmware patch for L5/E5 to work properly.
Where can i look at the gpsd binary ?

On the rooted phone you can edit gps.xml and enable the dual-frequency operation. I have written about it in Huawei Mate 9 GPS thread.
It's on the GPS.xml file. I've deleted the whole system.img tho. So I can't open it anymore

---------- Post added at 05:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:24 AM ----------

This is the Broadcom enum for possible multifrequency modes:
Code:
GL_MULTI_CARR_RF_MODE_UNKNOWN
GL_MULTI_CARR_RF_MODE_L1
GL_MULTI_CARR_RF_MODE_L1_L5
GL_MULTI_CARR_RF_MODE_L1_LP
GL_MULTI_CARR_RF_MODE_L1_L5_LP
GL_MULTI_CARR_RF_MODE_L1_L2_L5
GL_MULTI_CARR_RF_MODE_L1_NN
L1L5
L1LP
L1L5LP
L1L2L5
L1NN
L1_EXT_ON
L5_EXT_ON
It is also interesting that they still stick to the 'rtistatus3.dat' for RTIconfig, which does not support Galileo. You can use rtistatus4.dat available from Broadcom site to fix that.
Yeah interesting

HKG123

Mar 7, 2018
If you already have the phone, please install this APK and tell me if the 'Galileo Navigation Messages' are being logged. They do not work on S8 and Huawei phones (all using Broadcom BCM4774).

Not to be offense, but how could tell the new S9 would be using BCM4775X family?
According to Broadcom webpage, are there any chances that BCM4755 would be some kind of OEM product between BCM4752 & BCM4774? Are there any apps that can log / indicate that uses L5 channel? Thanks.

Mar 16, 2008
If you already have the phone, please install this APK and tell me if the 'Galileo Navigation Messages' are being logged. They do not work on S8 and Huawei phones (all using Broadcom BCM4774).

Welp, this is discouraging:

12. ~ adam22 2018-02-25 23:09:34 host: 77,111,244,47
Samsung S9 does not have Broadcom BCM47755. This information is 100% reliable. Only in S10 will they give the BCM47755 chip.

from the comments on this link (hooray for google translate!)

źródło: http://www.telepolis.pl/wiadomosci/samsung-galaxy-s9-w-benchmarku-antutu,2,3,41516.html

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If anyone is interested in more technical info on why the Xiaomi Mi 8 doesn't show carrier frequencies in the "CF" column in the GPSTest app, I've written up a summary here:
    https://github.com/barbeau/gpstest/issues/167
    In previous Google IO 2018 event "How to get one-meter location-accuracy from Android devices", Google mentioned there would have new APIs and an extra setting in Developer Options to enable full GNSS measurements.

I upgraded my Pixel2 to Android P today and found the same in Developer Options which said "Force full GNSS measurements - Track all GNSS constellations and frequencies with no duty cycling". I understand this is a key issue to full raw measurements, but what I would like to know are:-

1.) What could we achieve with this option in future? A single Android phone could do RTK survey via Ntrip using internal GNSS chip? Another algorithm to get higher accuracy?
    2.) Take Samsung S8 as example, with Android P & support of raw measurements, could it do the same without extra and expensive equipments?

Thanks guys.

Reference Link:
    Google IO 2018 event "How to get one-meter location-accuracy from Android devices"
    https://youtu.be/vywGgSrGODU

Raw GNSS Measurements
    https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/sensors/gnss

1) Yes for RTK on Android P devices with internal GNSS if the "Force full GNSS measurements" is enabled. The Google I/O talk/slides at 32:30 in the YouTube video explain how to do this. Fundamentals are covered in more detail at http://gpsworld.com/positioning-with-android-gnss-observables/. You can still use any supported Android N and higher device to get raw measurements from that and create new algorithms for positioning - some apps like Live Roads are presumably already doing this (https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/0...-for-your-cellphone-with-no-hardware-upgrade/). But you need Android P and the ""Force full GNSS measurements" setting enabled to keep the GNSS chip on continuously to do RTK.

2) Potentially - it depends on OEM and if they want to support providing raw measurements via the Android N GNSS API. Support of this API isn't required, which is why many devices (including the Galaxy S8) aren't listed in the "officially supported" table here - https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/sensors/gnss#supported-devices. Galaxy S8 isn't currently on the list, so I wouldn't hold my my breadth for support via an update.

Note that RTK and multi-frequency support are two different things - you can have one without the other. Multi-frequency support requires hardware for capturing multiple GNSS signals at different frequencies, and RTK requires constant observation of the signal (one or more) to leverage the carrier phase measurements to give you more precise position information.
    It's dual carrier. 4755

20180305_192441.jpg
    Good news guys :)
    I've just read article about Xiaomi Mi8 presentation in Russia and it's confirm that Mi8 has double band GNSS receiver. Presentation is here: https://www.ixbt.com/news/2018/05/31/xiaomi-mi-8-3.html
    Sorry it's in Russian, but closer to the bottom you could see a picture what's clearly shows using L1 and L5 GNSS bands.
    Will wait when it'll be available in shops, Xiaomi promise it'll be available on June 5...

Price is 420 USD - about twice cheaper than Galaxy S9, so I considering to buy Mi8 instead of Samsung...

xiaomi 8 GNSS spec, that makes my day

全球首款双频GPS

同时接收L1 / L5 双频GPS信号

GPS:L1+L5
    Galileo:E1+E5a
    QZSS:L1+L5
    GLONASS:L1
    Beidou:B1
    In your capture, that was showing 4755... which wasn’t 4775 :(
    The 4755 (RfType="GL_RF_4755_BRCM_EXT_LNA") was referring to the BRCM_EXT_LNA used on S9:
    Code:
    GL_RF_2076_BRCM_EXT_LNA
    GL_RF_BARRACUDA_BRCM_EXT_LNA
    GL_RF_4751_DANUBE_EXT_LNA
    GL_RF_47511_BRCM_EXT_LNA
    GL_RF_4752_BRCM_EXT_LNA
    GL_RF_47521_BRCM_EXT_LNA
    GL_RF_4753_BRCM_EXT_LNA
    GL_RF_47531_BRCM_EXT_LNA
    GL_RF_47520_BRCM_EXT_LNA
    GL_RF_4755_BRCM_EXT_LNA
    Compare that to S8(+)
    Code:
    RfType="GL_RF_47531_BRCM_EXT_LNA"
    S9 uses a newer chip.
    The Samsung GPSD is also a modern version, supporting 4775 variants:
    Code:
    make-pike:://depot/client/core/rel/Samsung/Star/20.22.310750/v10/proprietary/deliverables/esw3_dev:4775_B0@316421_4775_B0
    make-pike:://depot/client/core/rel/Samsung/Star/20.22.310750/v10/proprietary/deliverables/esw3_dev:4775_FF@316421_4775_FF