[Q] Swap Internal memory and MicroSD

Search This thread

chrisvor

Feb 9, 2007
Nicosia
Hello,
I have seen a post on G+ (https://plus.google.com/+MariuszKraus/posts/1BRdDeF9d1W) and also remember people discussing during KS that one could "swap" the Internal SD Card (in other words the space that makes up the 8GB) with the EXTERNAL SD (MicroSD) card memory.

I have already installed a 32Gb MicroSD which I have been using since I got my TS.

As I intend to put a 64Gb MicroSD in my TS and since I have already almost reached the "out of memory" state, I want to do this swap.

Has anybody tried it? Could you share the method in a step-by-step way here?
Will I end up with 8GB's of program memory (that is going to be used automatically for app installations and other android internal tasks)?
Do I need to copy the current contents of the Internal and/or External space in order to subsequently copy it back once the swap is done?
Do I also need to copy the contents of the main memory in order to copy it back afterwards or is that not affected at all?
If I do a Titanium backup, can that be used to restore everything back to normal? Will it restore to the "swapped" places?

Many thanks for any and all help :)
Christos

walscobry

Jun 16, 2006
I have swapped internal sd with external sd

I have done this on my omate truesmart US extreme with 5/27 firmware with OTA update.

I will answer some of your questions in this post and if still interested I will post a how-to with my vold.fstab file.

This mod REQUIRES ROOT.

This will not change the amount of app space internal to the phone. To do that you would have to reparation the internal 8gb emmc.

This will only swap the pointer (mount point) of the internal (called sdcard) partition with the external microsd (called sdcard2).

This is best done on fresh device with out any apps moved to SD. You need to copy the contents of the internal sdcard to the external before editing the vold.fstab file.

You do not need to do anything with the main memory. The only change to it will be the edited vold.fstab.

I don't know the answer the titanium backup question. But it is not needed to perform this mod. HAVE A FULL BACK OF YOUR DEVICE by all means but this little mod is pretty simple and undo-able.

If you do the mod remember to change the SAVE location of data in your apps. For example on the truesmart the is a option to save files to internal or sdcard in settings. This will need to be set to internal if you had set it to sdcard before the swap.

Here is my edited vold.fstab file:

---------------------------------------

## Vold 2.0 Generic fstab
## - San Mehat (san@android.com)
##

#######################
## Regular device mount
##
## Format: dev_mount <label> <mount_point> <part> <sysfs_path1...>
## label - Label for the volume
## mount_point - Where the volume will be mounted
## part - Partition # (1 based), or 'auto' for first usable partition.
## <sysfs_path> - List of sysfs paths to source devices
######################

## Example of a standard sdcard mount for the emulator / Dream
# Mounts the first usable partition of the specified device

### - SDCARD SWAP MOD
### dev_mount sdcard /storage/sdcard0 emmc@fat /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/mtk-msdc.0/mmc_host
### dev_mount sdcard2 /storage/sdcard1 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.1 /devices/platform/mtk-msdc.1/mmc_host

dev_mount sdcard2 /storage/sdcard1 emmc@fat /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/mtk-msdc.0/mmc_host
dev_mount sdcard /storage/sdcard0 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.1 /devices/platform/mtk-msdc.1/mmc_host

## Example of a dual card setup

# dev_mount left_sdcard /mnt/sdcard1 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.0/mmc_host/mmc0
# dev_mount right_sdcard /mnt/sdcard2 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.1 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.2/mmc_host/mmc2

## Example of specifying a specific partition for mounts
# dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard 2 /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc1

------------------------------------------------------

All that is being done is swapping the labels and mount points of the 2 "sd cards".
I suggest finding, reading, understanding another guide on the internet for a detailed how-to.