Thanks Meter: 5,251

Post Reply Email Thread
7th April 2019, 04:46 AM |#13051  
Flag Edmonton
Thanks Meter: 824

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCrossan

Hate to be the dummy of the group, but first time user of AdAway (using with Nvidia Shield) and not sure what to do with these so called Hosts? Do I download and add each txt file somehow or is there a link that needs to be added somewhere?

Nothing needs to be done. If you are using magisk, get the systemless host module installed (enable it in settings) reboot, then apply blocking in adaway.
Adding host lists is unnecessarily, the defaults are usually good enough for most people.
7th April 2019, 04:55 AM |#13052  
Thanks Meter: 16

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by githyanki

Nothing needs to be done. If you are using magisk, get the systemless host module installed (enable it in settings) reboot, then apply blocking in adaway.
Adding host lists is unnecessarily, the defaults are usually good enough for most people.

What is the purpose of the systemless host with magisk, because I didn't know anything about that when I installed AwAway and it seems to be working fine? And I'm not "most people" LoL... so could you maybe explain how to add host lists? That is, if you so desire and have the time to spare. Tried Googling it with no luck. I'm usually pretty good at winging it, but not this time around.
7th April 2019, 05:37 AM |#13053  
Flag Indianapolis, IN
Thanks Meter: 1,587

More
Quote:

What is the purpose of the systemless host with magisk, because I didn't know anything about that when I installed AwAway and it seems to be working fine? And I'm not "most people" LoL... so could you maybe explain how to add host lists? That is, if you so desire and have the time to spare. Tried Googling it with no luck. I'm usually pretty good at winging it, but not this time around.

The advantage is that it is systemless, meaning it does not modify the system. In order to receive OTA updates, etc. If you have a device, such as my 5 devices that don't receive OTA updates, it may not matter that the system is modified. with Magisk Hide, my device passes SafetyNet, even though I have an unlocked bootloader. There is probably more to this than I have posted, but enabling the systemless hosts option certainly will not hurt, in most cases and can help in some cases.
If you applied hosts in Adaway before you enabled the systemless host module and rebooted, your system was most certainly modifed when it wrote the new hosts file to the default location on most systems: /system/etc/hosts.
7th April 2019, 05:38 AM |#13054  
Flag Edmonton
Thanks Meter: 824

More
Quote:

If your not using the systemless module, updates may remove the adaway host file. Will probably need to re-enable after updates. If your on stock, your updates may not work.
7th April 2019, 06:20 AM |#13055  

More
Apparently I did install the systemless module. Didn't remember because I was having issues with the non XDA AdAway version. So I don't need to set AdAway to systemless do I?

And still looking for assistance with adding more hosts. I'm still seeing ads on Youtube (not the app, but through Chrome because I hate the app) and most other sites I'm going too.
7th April 2019, 07:13 AM |#13056  
Flag Maringá, PR
Thanks Meter: 549

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Apparently I did install the systemless module. Didn't remember because I was having issues with the non XDA AdAway version. So I don't need to set AdAway to systemless do I?

And still looking for assistance with adding more hosts. I'm still seeing ads on Youtube (not the app, but through Chrome because I hate the app) and most other sites I'm going too.

You have to click on the Systemless Hosts field under Magisk settings for its corresponding module to get installed. Reboot your phone, launch AdAway, go to its Preferences and tick the Systemless Hosts checkbox. Only then, activate AdAway. Regarding seeing ads in Chrome, go to its settings and make sure there is no data saver active.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190407-020504_Manager.png
Views:	674
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	4738223   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190407-020419_Manager.png
Views:	666
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	4738224   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190407-020324_AdAway.png
Views:	664
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	4738225  
The Following User Says Thank You to casouzaj For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift casouzaj Ad-Free
7th April 2019, 07:27 AM |#13057  

More
Systemless is greyed out, so I can't enable it. (And I'm using this on Nvidia Shield) Not sure what you mean by a data saver in Chrome but I looked all over and not seeing anything.
7th April 2019, 07:33 AM |#13058  
Thanks Meter: 659

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Systemless is greyed out, so I can't enable it. (And I'm using this on Nvidia Shield) Not sure what you mean by a data saver in Chrome but I looked all over and not seeing anything.

Chrome has a data saving option inside its options . Turn it off
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joluke For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift joluke Ad-Free
7th April 2019, 08:32 AM |#13059  

More
Data was off and still ads everywhere... I see them all over this site right now. Grrrrr. Would love to know why AdAway won't let me enable systemless. Not that it matters since the program doesn't seem to be working for me.
7th April 2019, 12:34 PM |#13060  
Thanks Meter: 94

More
[APP][Root][OFFICIAL] AdAway v4.2.4 :: [2019-03-23]
Quote:

Would love to know why AdAway won't let me enable systemless

If you turned systemless option on in Magisk, AdAway recognizes this and thus the option is greyed out it's there for backwards compatibility (as far as I know) in the new versions it's not necessary anymore to set it
The Following User Says Thank You to Sneeuwtijger For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Sneeuwtijger Ad-Free
7th April 2019, 12:35 PM |#13061  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Quote:

Data was off and still ads everywhere... I see them all over this site right now. Grrrrr. Would love to know why AdAway won't let me enable systemless. Not that it matters since the program doesn't seem to be working for me.

Did you tried to uninstall adaway, try to disable and then enable systemless host in magisk, reboot and reinstall adaway?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ad block, adaway, adblock, adblocker, source

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)