602 posts
Thanks Meter: 5,230

Post Reply Email Thread
2nd September 2015, 05:37 AM |#4051  
Thanks Meter: 67

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by arf8

Glad I can be of help, i used logcat app to find the host, it was buried along with other URL's that completely disabled all images but after some testing i got the right one.

With that said, my wife used Chrome and I've installed the latest version of Adaway(Greatest app ever) but she still has ads all over as if adaway is not working at all. I made sure Chrome's "Data Saver" is off which it was by default and the ads still show up. I use firefox and i don't have this problem but if I also use the Google search bar to do a simple search for petsmart the first link that shows up is an Ad just like on my wifes phone. What am I missing to prevent the ads on google search and Chrome from appearing?

Cheers

No takers huh? I assume the google ads that show up in Google search and Chrome are normal and no way to prevent them from showing up?
2nd September 2015, 08:08 AM |#4052  
Flag Pune
Thanks Meter: 157

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrRobinson

can you post a log cat maybe we can see what it is doing. sure you have proper root and r/w access to system?

Looks like the error is due to host source adblock.mahakala.is (Issues #626, #633)

Quote:

FATAL EXCEPTION: IntentService[AdAwayApplyService]

Process: org.adaway, PID: 11737

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Failed to allocate a 52 byte allocation with 20 free bytes and 20B until OOM

at java.util.regex.Pattern.matcher(Pattern.java:297)

at org.adaway.util.HostsParser.parse(HostsParser.java :89)

at org.adaway.util.HostsParser.<init>(HostsParser.jav a:53)

at org.adaway.service.ApplyService.apply(ApplyService .java:289)

at org.adaway.service.ApplyService.doWakefulWork(Appl yService.java:100)

at com.commonsware.cwac.wakeful.WakefulIntentService. onHandleIntent(WakefulIntentService.java:100)

at android.app.IntentService$ServiceHandler.handleMes sage(IntentService.java:65)

at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:10 2)

at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:135)

at android.os.HandlerThread.run(HandlerThread.java:61 )

[ 09-01 11:24:34.159 20028:20046 E/AndroidRuntime ]

FATAL EXCEPTION: IntentService[AdAwayApplyService]

Process: org.adaway, PID: 20028

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: OutOfMemoryError thrown while trying to throw OutOfMemoryError; no stack available

2nd September 2015, 08:38 AM |#4053  
Thanks Meter: 199

More
Quote:

No takers huh? I assume the google ads that show up in Google search and Chrome are normal and no way to prevent them from showing up?

In chrome...

In the address bar type "chrome://flags" without quotation marks.

And disable the following two flags if they are enabled or in default position.

1. "Enable Experiment Data Reduction Proxy"

2. "Data Saver Lo-Fi mode"

I am not 100% sure this will fix it, but this sounds like the way Google sneaks their ads past adaway.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smartymcfly For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift smartymcfly Ad-Free
2nd September 2015, 03:47 PM |#4054  
Thanks Meter: 85

More
why new apk 3.0.2 is 5.3mb? it's a lot bigger that the 3.0.1 that was only 3.7mb

tnx

---------- Post added at 03:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartsyn333

Latest version throws an FC when I try to search for adware (last entry in menu).

LG G4 H815 Stock 5.1 FW, rooted and xposed installed.

same here

lollipop stock lmy48i
nexus 5
2nd September 2015, 05:11 PM |#4055  

More
Quote:

Glad I can be of help, i used logcat app to find the host, it was buried along with other URL's that completely disabled all images but after some testing i got the right one.

With that said, my wife used Chrome and I've installed the latest version of Adaway(Greatest app ever) but she still has ads all over as if adaway is not working at all. I made sure Chrome's "Data Saver" is off which it was by default and the ads still show up. I use firefox and i don't have this problem but if I also use the Google search bar to do a simple search for petsmart the first link that shows up is an Ad just like on my wifes phone. What am I missing to prevent the ads on google search and Chrome from appearing?

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jm_Willing

Tested it, but it doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartymcfly

In chrome...

In the address bar type "chrome://flags" without quotation marks.

And disable the following two flags if they are enabled or in default position.

1. "Enable Experiment Data Reduction Proxy"

2. "Data Saver Lo-Fi mode"

I am not 100% sure this will fix it, but this sounds like the way Google sneaks their ads past adaway.

does not make a difference, I think my assumptions about this is correct. Plus I don't have Chrome myself, I just use the google Search feature from time to time.
The Following User Says Thank You to arf8 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift arf8 Ad-Free
2nd September 2015, 06:04 PM |#4056  
Thanks Meter: 12,324

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironia.

why new apk 3.0.2 is 5.3mb? it's a lot bigger that the 3.0.1 that was only 3.7mb

One last minute change was I added the 64bit architectures. So all the newer phones and nexus9 that are 64bit have been running this 32bit only app. With 3.0.2 they get 64bit. I doubt its a noticeable change from a user but its better to run on the native arch if you can. Those extra libraries bumped the size of the app. All it effects is initial download of the apk size.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mrRobinson For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mrRobinson Ad-Free
2nd September 2015, 07:43 PM |#4057  
Recognized Contributor
/
Thanks Meter: 3,207

More
Now might be as good a time as any for a few reminders. Trying to get rid of all "ads" is somewhat pointless and unrealistic. Many of the items discussed here might be seen as unnecessary ads by the user but from a content provider standpoint's, they are relevant and often crucial pieces of information.

AdAway can only deal with content processed through the local DNS scheme (i.e. through the hosts file). It can't do anything about shortened or encoded URLs (yes, Google, you!), javascript-generated or CSS-generated content, etc.

What I gather from questions here is that many people are actually looking for a way to dynamically modify the information displayed by web pages, a completely separate matter from URL redirection.

There ARE browser-specific tools to "hide" web content but they typically require much more user involvement and only alter the display, not what is being actually transmitted. Research what extensions or addons are available for your particular browser and you might find suitable tools to be used in conjunction with AdAway, even though few are practical for mobile devices.

I know it's heresy to some, but sometimes the wisest approach is to ignore a few annoying display elements here and there. If AdAway keeps 99% of what you see on your screen relatively junk-free, you're doing fine. The Internet will never be totally tailored to your personal needs or wishes. Oh yeah, also remember that NOT using apps or sites that display too much garbage works fine too...
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Mike B. For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mike B. Ad-Free
2nd September 2015, 07:52 PM |#4058  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.

also remember that NOT using apps or sites that display too much garbage works fine too...

The problem is that the google search widget yields ads at the top of every search so the only solution is to ditch Google Search/Chrome etc.

I personally use Firefox with add blocking extension and it works great, no ads what so ever, however I don't have the ability to search using voice commands quickly which is the only reason why i use the Google search widget. With that said, as i suspected there is no way to avoid ads using Google Search or Chrome from showing up no matter what app you use.

PS: for others who think adding your desktop hosts list to adaway or using MoaAB it does not matter, I tried adding Easylist which is what most use and confirmed via logs it blocks the ads that are normally generated in Google search, those same hosts applied to Android don't . Some ads are hard codes and show up in other ways than DNS and pointed out. I'll do some more exploring to see if there is something else that can be done but i'm not too optimistic.
2nd September 2015, 08:14 PM |#4059  
Recognized Contributor
/

More
Quote:

The problem is that the google search widget yields ads at the top of every search so the only solution is to ditch Google Search/Chrome etc.

I personally use Firefox with add blocking extension and it works great, no ads what so ever, however I don't have the ability to search using voice commands quickly which is the only reason why i use the Google search widget. With that said, as i suspected there is no way to avoid ads using Google Search or Chrome from showing up no matter what app you use.

PS: for others who think adding your desktop hosts list to adaway or using MoaAB it does not matter, I tried adding Easylist which is what most use and confirmed via logs it blocks the ads that are normally generated in Google search, those same hosts applied to Android don't . Some ads are hard codes and show up in other ways than DNS and pointed out. I'll do some more exploring to see if there is something else that can be done but i'm not too optimistic.

I'm not sure to which ads you refer. The attached screenshot is the result of a quick "OK Google Justin Bieber" voice search on my Note 3. Aren't those the results one can expect from such as simple (and silly) search?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tempFileForShare.jpg
Views:	916
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	3460463  
2nd September 2015, 08:19 PM |#4060  

More
Quote:

Now might be as good a time as any for a few reminders. Trying to get rid of all "ads" is somewhat pointless and unrealistic. Many of the items discussed here might be seen as unnecessary ads by the user but from a content provider standpoint's, they are relevant and often crucial pieces of information.

AdAway can only deal with content processed through the local DNS scheme (i.e. through the hosts file). It can't do anything about shortened or encoded URLs (yes, Google, you!), javascript-generated or CSS-generated content, etc.

What I gather from questions here is that many people are actually looking for a way to dynamically modify the information displayed by web pages, a completely separate matter from URL redirection.

There ARE browser-specific tools to "hide" web content but they typically require much more user involvement and only alter the display, not what is being actually transmitted. Research what extensions or addons are available for your particular browser and you might find suitable tools to be used in conjunction with AdAway, even though few are practical for mobile devices.

I know it's heresy to some, but sometimes the wisest approach is to ignore a few annoying display elements here and there. If AdAway keeps 99% of what you see on your screen relatively junk-free, you're doing fine. The Internet will never be totally tailored to your personal needs or wishes. Oh yeah, also remember that NOT using apps or sites that display too much garbage works fine too...

Quote:

I'm not sure to which ads you refer. The attached screenshot is the result of a quick "OK Google Justin Bieber" voice search on my Note 3. Aren't those the results one can expect from such as simple (and silly) search?

Do a search for "Petsmart" this is what me ad my wife get. S6 Edge, OE2

Now unless I'm missing something that sponsored ad at the top should not be there, it isn't on the desktop, nor mobile firefox with the addon. However using Google search or Chrome on Android will yield this type of result on most searches.

https://img.xda-cdn.com/LI59GmwkewF3alofr9r0Ti4bgcs=/http%3A%2F%2Fi61.tinypic.com%2F2vc6u5l.jpg
2nd September 2015, 08:46 PM |#4061  
Recognized Contributor
/

More
Quote:

Do a search for "Petsmart" this is what me ad my wife get. S6 Edge, OE2

Now unless I'm missing something that sponsored ad at the top should not be there, it isn't on the desktop, nor mobile firefox with the addon. However using Google search or Chrome on Android will yield this type of result on most searches.

Maybe you don't think the ad should be there, but apparently Google disagrees and frankly that seems reasonable to me. I'm not sure how any process could realistically filter out this type of data which after all is extremely relevant to your search. Whatever you use on your desktop and Firefox doesn't use the Android Google Services or Google App. If your issue is with Google Search and how Google deals with your Advertising ID, you may want to review the section on "Ads" in your Google Settings app.

Not that it needs to be pointed out again, but this has nothing to do with the simple DNS redirection process optionally facilitated by AdAway.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike B. For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mike B. Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ad block, adaway, adblock, adblocker, source

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)