How Can I Control Contrast & Backlight Programmatically

Search This thread

unni_kmr

Dec 24, 2012
I need to develop an Android app which should have options to control LED brightness, backlight and contrast. From various documentation on internet, I found ways to control the brightness, but couldn't find anything about backlight and contrast. First of all, in Android devices, isn't brightness and backlight the same? Also, how can I control these two from code? Please let me know your suggestions.

Logopolis

Feb 21, 2016
Brightness can be changed by setting the screenBrightness member of the window's LayoutParams (fetched with getAttributes()). It ranges from 0-1, or set to -1 to use the default brightness set by the user in display settings.

However, even at brightness level of 0, the backlight remains on; it's just dim.

I've been looking for a way to turn the backlight off completely, without success. I know it's possible because there is an app called "Screen Backllight OFF" that does it (device must be rooted). I've read various suggestions on using WakeLocks, but I want the device and my app to remain awake and active; all I want to do is temporarily turn off the backlight.

Does anyone know how to turn off the backlight?